• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC member card

ShuisFan584

<font color=red>Bowler & <font color=blue>Softball
I'm still new to this whole DVC thing so I'm sorry I still have some silly questions. We just went on our first DVC trip this August. We loved it so much that my sister and I are planning on going again in January and May, without our parents. The thing is, my parents are the one's whose names are on the contract, and my sister and I are just the "immediate family living in the same household." So both my parents have a DVC card with their names on it, but my sister and I don't. So my question is, can I bring my mom's DVC card with me and show my ID as well to get the discounts on meals or anything else you can get discounts on? I don't want to get anyone mad if this is not allowed, I just really don't know. It's ok if I can't, it would just be nice to get discounts, and I don't want to look silly trying to use her card if I can't.

By the way, would it be hard to make the reservation? I'm assuming my mom would just call and make the reservations, and put it under mine or my sister's name instead of hers, and there wouldn't be any problems. Or is it going to be complicated considering we don't have our own DVC card? Would she have to like rent the points out to us or something?

I don't know the official answer to your first question. If I had to guess, I'd say that you & your sister are not entitled to the discounts that require the blue member card because you are not members - your parents are. Some of the discounts can be obtained just by showing your room ID, though. Since you are staying on points, your room IDs will say "DVC Member" on them

Making the reservatrion is easy. As you said, your Mom calls to make the reservation and tells the CM to put your name and your sister's name on the resrevation. That's all there is to it. (I'm assuming at least one of you is 18 or older as that is the minimum age to check in on your own). If you & your sister want to pay your parents for the rooms, that's between you and them. DVC doesn't care.

Best wishes -

Your Mom simply has to call and make the reservation, then put the ressie in your name.

As far as discounts, you may be able to get discounts by showing your room key with the DVC MEMBER notation...but increasingly CMs are asking for the actual DVC membership card. As far as to whether you are actually eligible for the member discounts...that is a somewhat grey area. Renters (people who stay on DVC points by paying compensation to the member) are not eligible for discounts, but non-paying guests of members are supposed to be eligible. The problem is, DVC has no real way to know which is which, so showing the actual membership card is becoming more standard than the room key.

Interesting situation. I would believe that if my son was eating out and was still living in my household that he should be entitled to the discount. This may not be the most honorable way to handle it, but I would just take your mom's dvc card with you. I don't ever remember being asked for both my DVC card and room key or other identification at the same time. I usually let my server know immediately that I am a DVC member and show them the card right away. I see no other reason identification that would show you are not that member would be required.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think it would be WRONG if this was a friend or something to that effect and do not condone that at all, but for a family member who lives in the same household as the named member I don't see this as a problem.

That being said, I haven't read every line in the rules, so this may indeed be a case where the child is not entitled to the discount, if this is the way it is then there is really nothing that can be done.

Good Luck!

CarolMN said:
Making the reservatrion is easy. As you said, your Mom calls to make the reservation and tells the CM to put your name and your sister's name on the resrevation. That's all there is to it. (I'm assuming at least one of you is 18 or older as that is the minimum age to check in on your own). If you & your sister want to pay your parents for the rooms, that's between you and them. DVC doesn't care.

Best wishes -

Well we have nothing to worry about there, my sister and I are both over 18. I don't think my parents would ever let us go to WDW by ourselves if we were both under 18. :teeth:

Chuck S said:
As far as discounts, you may be able to get discounts by showing your room key with the DVC MEMBER notation...but increasingly CMs are asking for the actual DVC membership card. As far as to whether you are actually eligible for the member discounts...that is a somewhat grey area. Renters (people who stay on DVC points by paying compensation to the member) are not eligible for discounts, but non-paying guests of members are supposed to be eligible. The problem is, DVC has no real way to know which is which, so showing the actual membership card is becoming more standard than the room key.

I actually tried using my room key that said DVC member on it to just buy a DVC pin. The lady at check in at OKW said that some might accept it and some won't. It just so happened that the place I went to wouldn't accept it, so I had to wait until we met up with my parents to get it.

oldkeywestfan said:
Now don't get me wrong, I do think it would be WRONG if this was a friend or something to that effect and do not condone that at all, but for a family member who lives in the same household as the named member I don't see this as a problem.

I wouldn't try to do that if I was using my friends DVC points. I just remember reading in all the paperwork that family members living in the immediate household are entitled to discounts. And then of course it listed what counts as family and of course sons/daughters are listed. My sister and I both got annual passes, and we obviously got the DVC discount on those, since my mom was there when we purchased them. I don't have it in front of me right now, but I think my annual pass might actually say DVC member on the back. The only way you could get it to say that is it someone in your immediate family bought it for you, and not if you were just renting someone's points. So maybe I could also use that to prove that I'm in the immediate household?

Well thanks everyone for your help! I'm guessing this is just up for debate with no clear answer. So I guess I'll just bring the card with me and see what happens. And if I look like an idiot trying to use it, I just won't try it again. :teeth:

Are you and your sister listed as associate members? Our grown children are, and while they do not have a member card, they CAN make ressies etc, so I would hope they would be afforded the other perks as well. I do know they can NOT get the AP discounts, because they do not live with us.

Would your parents put you and your sister on the deed? (That's assuming you are older than 18). If so, then you will be members and have a DVC card to allow you full member benefits.

What happens if you forget your member card? Can you stop over to see your guide to get a temporary card?

I have never needed the member card to check in, but I have always presented it only to have them hand it back to me without even looking at it. If you get to WDW without it, I guess I would ask about it at the front desk. We usually have provided it when we have asked for any DVC discount, and often they have just handed it back without a word or without even noting anything on it.

I took advantage of the DVC perk for a discount on a massage at "Muscles and Bustles" in July, and the Spa Desk just asked to see my room key with the DVC member code. I did have the blue membership card, just wasn't asked for it. Of course I know that doesn't predict anyone else's experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter