DVC Point Rental Primer

Actually, I edited your post. ;)

Sammie was being helpful and was stating the rule before a moderator edited the post.

We just don't allow info about rentals posted that could be construed as a Reservation Wanted type post, so we edit out specific dates and resort info. Also please be careful, as recently we've had some people contacted via PM offering to rent you points, but once the $ is received, the reservation was canceled and no refund was forthcoming.

I understand, Chuck, and sorry for my slip up.

Also, thank you for the warning. I have only rented points once through DIS boards, and it was a very positive experience.

Hi all!

I've been reading this up on the DVC rental process for quite a bit of time and it's been a terrific resource.

Thanks!

NHWX

Oh, boy, Sammie...I apologize. I certainly didn't intend to break the rules and I am sorry that you had to censor my post. I was caught up in the discussion and wasn't thinking.

Here I was reading the Primer and trying to put my question in the right place, and I go and break the rules...

So, sorry DIS members...

I knew you had no idea and as Chuck said, some have been contacted privately and it could be scam.

No foul, you are good. :thumbsup2

When you rent DVC points, do you still have up until the 45 day mark to pay? Or is it all up front? I have seen a couple sites that specifically say you can pay up till 45 days away and I have seen some that want your whole payment when the confirmation is has been made. Really looking into BWV for our January 2014 trip since it will be about two weeks long.

When you rent DVC points, do you still have up until the 45 day mark to pay? Or is it all up front? I have seen a couple sites that specifically say you can pay up till 45 days away and I have seen some that want your whole payment when the confirmation is has been made. Really looking into BWV for our January 2014 trip since it will be about two weeks long.

Payment method and timing is strictly based upon a private agreement between you and the DVC member. It is much like renting a beach house from a private party. If the deal goes sour, neither Disney nor DVC will intercede on behalf of either party.

Hi all,

I am renting points from a member who is insisting on 100% payment up front for a room reservation in December...I even had requested a contract in hopes she would accept a deposit but she says she needs a full payment since her points are held. What does this mean? I feel uneasy about paying so much in advance so should I just look elsewhere? I thought the norm was to pay a deposit and then the remaining balance 2 months before the reservation...thanks. :)

Hi all,

I am renting points from a member who is insisting on 100% payment up front for a room reservation in December...I even had requested a contract in hopes she would accept a deposit but she says she needs a full payment since her points are held. What does this mean? I feel uneasy about paying so much in advance so should I just look elsewhere? I thought the norm was to pay a deposit and then the remaining balance 2 months before the reservation...thanks. :)

Each member sets their own terms. If her points are in holding, she can't book until 60 days out. And by then, nothing will be available in December. Get more information from her. Did you find here on the Rent/Trade Board?

Each member sets their own terms. If her points are in holding, she can't book until 60 days out. And by then, nothing will be available in December. Get more information from her. Did you find here on the Rent/Trade Board?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I found her on the Rent/Trade Board. She booked her home resort for me and sent over the confirmation email which is when she told me her payment requirements and that her points are in holding.

If her points are in holding she could not possibly have made a reservation for a trip in December with those points. While many DVC Owners do require payment up front, if your travel date isn't until December, there really is no reason for immediate payment, unless she is behind in her dues payment, and she plans on using income from your rental to pay them.

I, personally, would look for a different owner.

Did YOU initiate the contact with this person, or did she PM you after you replied to someone else's post? If she PMed you after you replied to someone else's post, please contact WebmasterDoc, there have been some people scammed. Do NOT send money if YOU did not initiate the the contact.

We've rented points for our next visit from a DVC/Dis member who has been great thus far. Very, very helpful and friendly in every way. I've rented points before (from another owner) and as my dh reminded me today, in the weeks before our last points rental trip, I started getting nervous Didn't worry at all for months and months, but the closer we got to the trip, the more nervous I was about something going wrong with our rental. Same thing this time...I'm sure it's just trip anxiety, but I'm anxious nonetheless.

Anyway, can someone remind me what happens once you're in the 30 day time frame? Once you are down to 29 days or less before your reservation starts, what happens to the points if the member cancels? I don't really understand the holding account stuff that I've read. I guess what I am wondering is, if we're all paid up and we're down to 29 days or less before our trip, does this mean that the odds of something going sour are lower than they were when we were at 30+? Am I making any sense? Our DVC owner has given me no reason to doubt. I'm just very excited about our trip and that excess of excitement sometimes translate into anxiety.

I'm also wondering because we're seriously considering buying into DVC before the year is out, and I'd like to fully understand things before we take the plunge.

Thanks!

VP

We've rented points for our next visit from a DVC/Dis member who has been great thus far. Very, very helpful and friendly in every way. I've rented points before (from another owner) and as my dh reminded me today, in the weeks before our last points rental trip, I started getting nervous Didn't worry at all for months and months, but the closer we got to the trip, the more nervous I was about something going wrong with our rental. Same thing this time...I'm sure it's just trip anxiety, but I'm anxious nonetheless.

Anyway, can someone remind me what happens once you're in the 30 day time frame? Once you are down to 29 days or less before your reservation starts, what happens to the points if the member cancels? I don't really understand the holding account stuff that I've read. I guess what I am wondering is, if we're all paid up and we're down to 29 days or less before our trip, does this mean that the odds of something going sour are lower than they were when we were at 30+? Am I making any sense? Our DVC owner has given me no reason to doubt. I'm just very excited about our trip and that excess of excitement sometimes translate into anxiety.

I'm also wondering because we're seriously considering buying into DVC before the year is out, and I'd like to fully understand things before we take the plunge.

Thanks!

VP

DVC reservations that are cancelled after 30 days, the points go into a holding account. They can be used but with restrictions.

As to odds, honestly no I don't think the odds increase or decrease. I think anyone that is going to scam you will do it whether it is 35 days, or 20 days or 3 days before.

I am sure you will be fine.

Have a glass of wine and have faith. :thumbsup2

Anyway, can someone remind me what happens once you're in the 30 day time frame?

If you're 30 days or less out and you cancel, those points go into "holding", which means they can not be banked (so you have to use them that UY) and they can only be made for reservations 60-days in advance of the coming check-in date. This means that even if you're early in your UY, you can't take advantage of the home-resort-advantage, nor can you book something 3-months out, greatly limiting the options you will have for where to stay.

My understanding is that you _can_ exchange these points into something like RCI to extend their life, but others might be able to speak more to this option.

After having to cancel my trip due to my boyfriends death in july zI decided to rent 180 points from 2011/12. As a new owner and not familiar with the renting process I went through davids rentals. I got $10 apoint and my points were sold within a week. I recieved the first half of the money once I had sent confirmation and the other half when my guests check in. They had to pay the full amount non refundable so it would be very unfair and unkind of me to cancel. It has worked out great so far.
I have rented 3 times now myself from dvc owners so i understand the importance of trust on both parties.
This is a good thread to both renters and rentees:thumbsup2

Not sure if this is a good place, or perhaps a new thread, but I have a question about a potential flag I'm hoping someone may have experience with.

First, I don't mean to offend the poster. In all likelihood, everything is benign and they are just as hopeful as I am about making a good deal.

The real question is this though: Is it odd to receive a message from a poster to contact a different person to set up the rental? The notion was that one person had the rental account set up on the DIS boards but the other had the DVC membership. The poster seems reputable otherwise, from their post history and etc, but pointing me to another person (not a business as far as I could tell) for the transaction seemed a little odd...

thanks!

Not sure if this is a good place, or perhaps a new thread, but I have a question about a potential flag I'm hoping someone may have experience with.

First, I don't mean to offend the poster. In all likelihood, everything is benign and they are just as hopeful as I am about making a good deal.

The real question is this though: Is it odd to receive a message from a poster to contact a different person to set up the rental? The notion was that one person had the rental account set up on the DIS boards but the other had the DVC membership. The poster seems reputable otherwise, from their post history and etc, but pointing me to another person (not a business as far as I could tell) for the transaction seemed a little odd...

thanks!

They are trying to act as a broker. I prefer to deal with the owner of the points directly when we rent and when we have points to rent out ourselves, I always deal directly with our guest.

:earsboy: Bill

thanks!

they might have been a renter and not the owner and trying to get out of a rental. In other words, sublet the reservation. I wouldn't go there. If you are looking to buy a reservation from a member, you need to be the one to initiate the contact with the member. Don't respond to someone offering you a deal.

They are trying to act as a broker. I prefer to deal with the owner of the points directly when we rent and when we have points to rent out ourselves, I always deal directly with our guest.

:earsboy: Bill

they might have been a renter and not the owner and trying to get out of a rental. In other words, sublet the reservation. I wouldn't go there. If you are looking to buy a reservation from a member, you need to be the one to initiate the contact with the member. Don't respond to someone offering you a deal.

GOOD ADVISE!!! :thumbsup2

thanks!

In addition to the advise already offered, offering a rental in any form on the DVC Rent/Trade Board is limited only to DVC members offering to rent their own points. If you are being referred to another person, that policy has been violated.

I would suggest staying far from this transaction and just seek to work with another member or our advertiser, www.DVCrequest.com .

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just finished my reservation with another user and my experience with him was great.

I just want to thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge. My wife and I are planning to start a family soon so we want to be able to rent our points out for the next few years. This is a great way to learn and get our feet wet! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!