DVC Point Rental Primer

Sorry, I apparently posted something here that belonged elsewhere!!

Last edited:
Where can I find owners interested in renting out their points? Newbie here just getting into researching this whole DVC rental idea. I travel often to Disney World with my family and friends usually stay offsite at a vacation rental and found out this DVC rental points system by accident. I've been reading a lot about this subject matter and boy oh boy there is lots to understand! I understand I need to make contact with a DVC owner but how and where do I even begin to search for owners. Any sort of assistance would be very much appreciated since our next Disney vacaction is only about 2 months away give or take. Thank u in advance for all your help.

Where can I find owners interested in renting out their points? Newbie here just getting into researching this whole DVC rental idea. I travel often to Disney World with my family and friends usually stay offsite at a vacation rental and found out this DVC rental points system by accident. I've been reading a lot about this subject matter and boy oh boy there is lots to understand! I understand I need to make contact with a DVC owner but how and where do I even begin to search for owners. Any sort of assistance would be very much appreciated since our next Disney vacaction is only about 2 months away give or take. Thank u in advance for all your help.
There is a board here on the DIS that is a forum for connecting people who rent out/want to rent. You need to be logged into the DIS to see the board. Here is a link:
http://www.disboards.com/forums/dvc-rent-trade.29/
There are also people whose business is matching people up. One is David, who is a sponsor of the DIS. Here is a link to his site:
http://www.dvcrequest.com
Be aware that your choices for DVC accommodations will be somewhat limited if you will going in the next 2 months. Many DVCers book 11 months out. So you will need to be flexible. Good luck!

What are typical payment methods (safe!) that many renters are using these days? Is it typical to require transfers (as long as it's not Western Union)?

chefmb said:
What are typical payment methods (safe!) that many renters are using these days? Is it typical to require transfers (as long as it's not Western Union)?
There is really no method of payment that is "safe" if the person you are renting from is determined to defraud you and steal your money. Insisting on Western Union or similar is an obvious red flag, but a determined crook can likely defeat anything you come up with. There is simply a point in the process where you either trust each other (there is risk on the owner's part too) or you don't.

Services which use an escrow account (like Davids) provide some protection. Generally, you pay in full and they forward 1/2 to the owner you're renting from. The other half is withheld until you check in. Of course, even if you got ALL your money back in a bad rental, your vacation plans would still be messed up.

There are no "silver bullets." It's all about trust.
Does PayPal offer any safety when using them?
It provides some safety to the person renting a reservation, but many owners are reluctant to use PayPal because it offers them no protection and costs them money. If anything, PayPal may increase the owner's risk.

It provides some safety to the person renting a reservation, but many owners are reluctant to use PayPal because it offers them no protection and costs them money. If anything, PayPal may increase the owner's risk.

I don't know that Paypal offers any safety to the person renting a reservation. I've heard that paypal specifically excludes timeshare rentals from its guarantee, and if they find out you used it that way, they undo the transaction and can censure either or both sides. I've used it, but it's probably better to just specify that it's a money transaction between friends -- no fees that way, if there's no protection anyway.

I'll be a first time renter and posted a wanted ad on *********** for poly points. I've been contacted by a owner but I'm starting to realize they live in canada while I live in the U.S. Does this make for more risk for me? Their rental requirements is 50% before the reservation and the other 50% after the reservation is made. Sound OK? Thoughts? Thanks!

I'll be a first time renter and posted a wanted ad on *********** for poly points. I've been contacted by a owner but I'm starting to realize they live in canada while I live in the U.S. Does this make for more risk for me? Their rental requirements is 50% before the reservation and the other 50% after the reservation is made. Sound OK? Thoughts? Thanks!

I wouldn't think it any more risky than any other direct rental, but might get a bit confusing as far as payment. Are you paying with US dollars? If you use Paypal, your credit card may charge a foreign transaction fee so look into that. Other things to look at are the person's post count (have they been a member of the board for a long time) and do they have a contract? I personally haven't ever paid 50% before a reservation is made and wouldn't do so, but I know people do it. We did recently pay a deposit of $250 before a reservation was made and I was comfortable with that, but 50% seems excessive, IMHO.

I wouldn't think it any more risky than any other direct rental, but might get a bit confusing as far as payment. Are you paying with US dollars? If you use Paypal, your credit card may charge a foreign transaction fee so look into that. Other things to look at are the person's post count (have they been a member of the board for a long time) and do they have a contract? I personally haven't ever paid 50% before a reservation is made and wouldn't do so, but I know people do it. We did recently pay a deposit of $250 before a reservation was made and I was comfortable with that, but 50% seems excessive, IMHO.

I did wonder about the whole transaction fee situation as I was facing that if I went through David's. I'm still in the very beginning stages of talking to this member so I don't know if they use a contract but it was a question I recently asked. They have been a member since January 2015 and looks theres 20 messages. So not a ton of history there but they didn't join 3 days ago. The whole 50% upfront did seem a bit unusual. Also, I did as for references and the first one I've heard from is their personal friend, who also lives in Canada. So not a lot of help there.

There are plenty of members who require full payment just to make the reservation. Some will request 50% to make the reservation and the rest immediately after making the reservation. Very few will allow you to pay it off over time, unless you are personal friends with the owner.

But if you are in any way uncomfortable with the owner renting the points, find a different owner. Renting DVC points requires lots of trust. Whatever board that owner posts on should have posts they have made. Check out their posts. If they have never posted other than to rent out points, that gives them a bit less credibility. Read the sticky threads at the top of the DIS Rent/Trade Board to give you insight into renting a reservation.

There are plenty of members who require full payment just to make the reservation. Some will request 50% to make the reservation and the rest immediately after making the reservation. Very few will allow you to pay it off over time, unless you are personal friends with the owner.

But if you are in any way uncomfortable with the owner renting the points, find a different owner. Renting DVC points requires lots of trust. Whatever board that owner posts on should have posts they have made. Check out their posts. If they have never posted other than to rent out points, that gives them a bit less credibility. Read the sticky threads at the top of the DIS Rent/Trade Board to give you insight into renting a reservation.

Thanks for your reply! This is my first time renting so my only frame of reference is what I can scrounge up from old posts. The 50% before reservation was hard to find to see if that's a usual practice, so I'm happy to hear that your experience has lead you to conclude that it's not unusual. I'll be making the reservation 11 months out so I'll have handed over all my money about a year ahead of my reservation. Which is nerve wracking to do even if I know the person. So I wanted to put feelers out to the DISboard community bc you all have had much more experience than me. And I've read about every sticky thread out there, multiple times. I just hadn't see any tips or precautions about renting from someone in a different country. That's where you guys come in! :hyper2:

Thanks for your reply! This is my first time renting so my only frame of reference is what I can scrounge up from old posts. The 50% before reservation was hard to find to see if that's a usual practice, so I'm happy to hear that your experience has lead you to conclude that it's not unusual. I'll be making the reservation 11 months out so I'll have handed over all my money about a year ahead of my reservation. Which is nerve wracking to do even if I know the person. So I wanted to put feelers out to the DISboard community bc you all have had much more experience than me. And I've read about every sticky thread out there, multiple times. I just hadn't see any tips or precautions about renting from someone in a different country. That's where you guys come in! :hyper2:
Your rental is tying up the owner's points for 11 months. You want a special reservation, maybe GFV or BLT Theme park view or standard view, or just something harder to get at seven months out. So you pay for it. They might be renting out their points to take another vacation that they need to pay for as well. They need your money to pay for their vacation. You won't get any money back if you cancel, so make sure you really want to do this.

Your rental is tying up the owner's points for 11 months. You want a special reservation, maybe GFV or BLT Theme park view or standard view, or just something harder to get at seven months out. So you pay for it. They might be renting out their points to take another vacation that they need to pay for as well. They need your money to pay for their vacation. You won't get any money back if you cancel, so make sure you really want to do this.

Thanks for the advice :)

Hello
sort of similar for us

We live in Australia but rent our points from a wonderful couple who live in USA (I'm American and just moved to Australia so that does not really bother me)

The only issue as some have pointed out will be currency exchange rates and any fees charged to convert your currency into US dollars
which depend on the exchange rate...and could work out to cost you allot more for your rental.

For example if your DVC points totals $1,000 US dollars
at the current Aussie dollar to US exchange rate ...it will cost us $1,411.87 Aussies Dollars to get $1,000 US Dollars (without any bank,payapls,or other fees)

then for us in Australia most every credit card or payment service charges 3% foreign transaction fee ontop
which means more money out of pocket

however, what we have found that works best for us (might not be the same for you...so please do your homework)
we use a loadable travel card - these act just like debit cards and some also offer an online card (sort like a credit card/payapl) where your card details are not shared to 3rd party

when you transfer your money onto the travel card...your account has credit (money you deposited into it)
then you can mange your wallets and exchange into any foreign currency you choose.
at the time you exchange your currency for US Dollars...you pay the current exchange rate. But then money is now US Dollars and remains in your card account as US Dollars.

you then use your travel card just like any other debit or credit card...but your paying in US Dollars
no exchange rate or other conversion fees etc
as it's just like paying in US Dollars...as the money on your card is US Dollars

naturally these loadable travel cards work to your advantage to load money onto your card and exchange for US Dollars when the exchange rate is in your favor (less foreign currency to buy US Dollars)
Since the money can sit on your card with no fess etc it can really be your best bet....even more if you have disposable money that you can just load on the card when the rates are best ....even if your not planning on using the money for sometime.

We have worked with our DVC couple for sometime now...and have had nothing but positive experience

we personally don't like then 50% upfront and 50% later
as you dont know where exchange rates are going to be in an hour let alone 90 days or when ever your second payment is due.

and there's nothing worse when you think you only owe (and budgeted) that your final 50% is only $500 left to pay....but the exchange rates have dropped and now that $500 cost you $1,000
though we look at converting currency as we are loosing money (which you are it's always costing you more in your dollars to exchange for US Dollars)

again you have to find what works best for you

in the US most credit cards these days dont have extra foreign transaction fess (which softens the blow)
but here in Australia I only know of one credit card that does not charge the extra fees....but when looking into it and speaking to a friend who has one....the exchange rates are slightly less than you can get using other options.
and my own dealing with credit cards overseas...the bank always appear to wait to "process" the charge when the rate drops in their favor. You know how when you see a "pending transaction" they still have not processed it and added the exchange rate
so it's what ever you are ok with.

Hello
sort of similar for us

We live in Australia but rent our points from a wonderful couple who live in USA (I'm American and just moved to Australia so that does not really bother me)

The only issue as some have pointed out will be currency exchange rates and any fees charged to convert your currency into US dollars
which depend on the exchange rate...and could work out to cost you allot more for your rental.

For example if your DVC points totals $1,000 US dollars
at the current Aussie dollar to US exchange rate ...it will cost us $1,411.87 Aussies Dollars to get $1,000 US Dollars (without any bank,payapls,or other fees)

then for us in Australia most every credit card or payment service charges 3% foreign transaction fee ontop
which means more money out of pocket

however, what we have found that works best for us (might not be the same for you...so please do your homework)
we use a loadable travel card - these act just like debit cards and some also offer an online card (sort like a credit card/payapl) where your card details are not shared to 3rd party

when you transfer your money onto the travel card...your account has credit (money you deposited into it)
then you can mange your wallets and exchange into any foreign currency you choose.
at the time you exchange your currency for US Dollars...you pay the current exchange rate. But then money is now US Dollars and remains in your card account as US Dollars.

you then use your travel card just like any other debit or credit card...but your paying in US Dollars
no exchange rate or other conversion fees etc
as it's just like paying in US Dollars...as the money on your card is US Dollars

naturally these loadable travel cards work to your advantage to load money onto your card and exchange for US Dollars when the exchange rate is in your favor (less foreign currency to buy US Dollars)
Since the money can sit on your card with no fess etc it can really be your best bet....even more if you have disposable money that you can just load on the card when the rates are best ....even if your not planning on using the money for sometime.

We have worked with our DVC couple for sometime now...and have had nothing but positive experience

we personally don't like then 50% upfront and 50% later
as you dont know where exchange rates are going to be in an hour let alone 90 days or when ever your second payment is due.

and there's nothing worse when you think you only owe (and budgeted) that your final 50% is only $500 left to pay....but the exchange rates have dropped and now that $500 cost you $1,000
though we look at converting currency as we are loosing money (which you are it's always costing you more in your dollars to exchange for US Dollars)

again you have to find what works best for you

in the US most credit cards these days dont have extra foreign transaction fess (which softens the blow)
but here in Australia I only know of one credit card that does not charge the extra fees....but when looking into it and speaking to a friend who has one....the exchange rates are slightly less than you can get using other options.
and my own dealing with credit cards overseas...the bank always appear to wait to "process" the charge when the rate drops in their favor. You know how when you see a "pending transaction" they still have not processed it and added the exchange rate
so it's what ever you are ok with.

sorry left out

paypal's protection will NOT protect you should something go wrong (at least a few years ago this was true)
not sure if their terms and conditions have been update or not.
their protect was only offered for physical goods (and even limited to where you bought them) which was ebay...cause they use to be the same company not anymore.....so things may have changed.

But read them in fine detail

have had more than one sour deal with paypal and it all 3 cases we were left out of pocket...but that's a whole can of worms

payapl is a money sucking company and their fees are insane
but they have built a nice rep and most people think it's 100% safe...it's not

you can get better fees/rates using other options

Hope it's OK to ask here - I'm in the 11 month window and considering renting. I understand the owner retains control and would have to book our DME. What happens with ADR & Fastpass+? Does the owner have to do all that for us too for the onsite time window benefits?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!