DVC points used on RCI and foreign Disney resorts

nicmarlon

Earning My Ears
Hello, everyone! Me and my husband have been researching for months about DVC and yesterday we had a great meeting with an agent. Since we're having a Disney Wedding on january 2021, we were tempted to purchase a contract on Riviera and use this year's points, plus next year's and 2021's points towards rooms for us and our families during our wedding week. I know Riviera comes with a few resale limitations and of course, we don't know how the resort looks in person yet. We are taking all that into consideration. However, there's one more thing that's important to us. Me and my husband have been to all Disney Resorts in the world, without DVC, of course and we always travel on vacation. The idea is to use our points maybe not on Disney properties around the world when we go back to Paris, Tokyo, HK and so on -and we will, because we love all of them- but instead to use our DVC points towards RCI properties. Would you guys recommend that? Or is it smarter to simply rent my points and use that cash booking whatever place we want to stay in separately? Again, we are a couple that travels all around the world and tend do go to a foreign Disney Resort every year, BUT, we also always visit other destinations nearby. I'm not saying my DVC points will go a long way for the whole stay of the Disney portion of the trip -I heard using DVC points on foreign Disney properties is an awful exchange- but we were wondering if they would go a long way for at least a week at some of those RCI resorts. I would love to know what your experiences have been with using points on RCI. Thank you SO much!

You will get a lot of differing opinions. Personally, I think it is OK to occasionally use DVC for RCI and even cruises, if you have the points to do so. But I would not make it my primary usage. For cruises it is generally MUCH better to rent the points out and use that cash for a cruise. RCI, can be pretty decent usage, but remember that there are limitations...RCI isn't always readily available at a location you want. And I would not use RCI for an all-inclusive type resort, those are better renting points and using cash.

Last edited:
Using points within the DVC system uses point charts that have been fixed for almost 30 years.

When you trade out of the DVC system for cruises and other non-DVC Disney resorts, the point charts are renegotiated each year and can potentially increase willy-nilly.

You can purchase many RCI timeshare resorts on ebay for $1 if you want to trade in RCI. Paying tens of thousands for DVC to trade for $1 timeshares is like buying a Lexus but always trading it out for a Kia Soul. (I bought a $1 timeshare that trades in II - the other timeshare exchange company. I have traded for nice Marriotts in Kauai, Southern California, St Kitts and more. I'm not knocking the other timeshares but you do need to do your homework.)

I have considered trading for the Marriott next to Disney Paris, for example. But you would need to be aware that it's not a very convenient location for visiting the city of Paris every day. Many timeshares in other countries aren't located in the cities Americans tend to want to visit, but rather in the countryside areas where Europeans and such want to vacation.

I just don't think that plan is a good one.

Thank you both for your input! Me and my husband have been researching a lot for the past few months and this forum really helped us!

Agreeing with comments above.

Financially, it makes best sense to use DVC points for DVC properties with the occasional use for Disney's Concierge collection (other high-end hotel exchanges), the Disney Collection (Disney Cruise Line and Disney Hotels worldwide), etc. Use something else for RCI, II and other timeshare exchanges. (That said, owning DVC will give you access to RCI's rental weeks without using your points. These can be a great value!)

I'd invite you to visit the Timeshare User's Group ('TUG' located: http://www.tug2.net) and ask a similar question there. TUG members a wealth of experience across many timeshare brands and configurations.

FWIW, my husband and I currently own three different timeshare products (but held as many as 5 at our peak) and trade frequently. We use our DVC SSR points as "network points" across the DVC system. In the 15+ years of ownership, we've also used the DVC points for an exchange to NYC's Manhattan Club through DVC's Concierge Collection and a couple of Disney Cruise Line sailings. We use our SoCal Coastal, fixed summer week, timeshare for trades through RCI back to DVC, to Hawaii, to South Africa and wherever the wind carries us. We use our other points based timeshare for stays across the US and Australia as there are 100+ properties inside the network (no exchange fees). Our goal is, generally, to get the 'best bang for the buck.' Determine the 'best use' of each tool and work it!

Best wishes in your research! Happy travels to you both!

Use DVC for DVC and nothing else. Don't get yourself into hock before you even get married to provide lodging for your families for your wedding. You can't reserve any lodging now anyway and you might not get all the villas you need for your families at 11 months out. Riviera is way too expensive (every resort direct is way too expensive to me now - we bought OKW direct in 1997 for $50 a point). You'll want to buy a house if you don't already, maybe have kids that are not cheap to raise, economy could stay good or go into the toilet. Unless you are already rolling in cash...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!