DVC points w/discount vs Cash

Princess Tess

Mouseketeer
I've done a bit of research on using DVC points for a cruise and I realize it doesn't seem to be the best use of points but no one addresses the cash discount for the second person (or 3rd or 4th) in the room.
As I understand it you can use DVC points for the first person on the cruise and get a discount for the second if paying cash. Has anyone crunched the #'s of that value vs paying cash outright for two in a room?
I used points for our first cruise a couple of years ago and at the time it was a good choice for us but this time I would like to get the best bang for the buck.
Any info appreciated!
~PT

There is no "discount" for the cash portion of the cruise fare. It is a negotiated price between DCL and DVC that is set early in the process and that is the price you pay no matter when you book. If you book through DCL, the price changes depending on how many cabins have been sold. Your cash DVC price may be lower than the current DCL cash price but it isn't because of a discount.

The only DVC discount on DCL is if you book your next cruise with DVC within so many days after you disembark. Not sure on the number of days
but it's between 3 and 7. The discount is between 1 - 5 %

Hmm so based on your info SnowWhite2 it sounds like it's still better to pay cash outright? I've read that the prices fluctuate for the cruises depending on when you book. We are lookin at Jan/Feb of 2019 - am I right that it would be best for us to book as soon as the cruises are announced?
PS Looks like you're a professional cruiser!
Thanks for your help,
~PT

The best prices are usually as soon as the cruise is announced. Sometimes (though less often than used to be) cruises that are not selling well are discounted when it gets closer to sailing time, but that is not predictable.

The DVC cash prices are set as soon as bookings are announced, so if prices through DCL go up, the prices through DVC do not. The converse is also true -- the DVC price stays the same even if rates through DCL fall.

The other issue to consider if you book early is that if you pay cash through DVC, full payment is due at the time of booking, rather than just a deposit with full payment due a few months before the cruise if you book through DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts