DVC Resorts Expiring 2042

Dan1

DIS Veteran
Apologies is wrong Forum or already discussed.

Is there any official plan announced by Disney for all the resorts (and thus their owners) whose contracts expire in the same year, in 2042?

Will the owners of such contracts still be DVC members?

I believe the following resorts all have the 2042 expiration date;

Beach Club
Boardwalk
Bolder Ridge
Hilton Head
Old Key West (non-extended)
Vero Beach

That’s a lot of resorts and a lot of DVC contracts and owners.

2042 will be here before you know it.

That’s still over 20 years away, so I doubt they will start planning for that any time soon. Disney is a corporation and usually corporations think about the current fiscal year + a few years out at best. Purely speculation but I imagine they will have some sort of package for current members to extend their membership. Disney actively tries to get current DVC members to buy additional points, so there is no reason to think they wouldn’t get members to extend their membership, unless they plan to close a resort. Anyway, I am sure anyone who wants to keep owning DVC past 2042 will have options to do so, if they’re willing to pay for it ;)

It's funny how people talk about it like being right around the corner. I mean that's 23 years from now and I'm sure not wishing my life away. It goes fast yes but I'm not worrying about something that's more than 20 years away. We own at BWV and now SSR so we still will be anyway but not worrying about the 2042 contract. We are just enjoying while we have it and worry about it when it's closer or maybe not who knows?

Disney actively tries to get current DVC members to buy additional points, so there is no reason to think they wouldn’t get members to extend their membership, unless they plan to close a resort.

I suspect they will be looking to sell new contracts, versus extend existing resorts. This is kind of semantic, kind of not. An extension has issues, as they found with OKW. Once the land lease extends, everyone is legally extended whether they "buy in" on it or not. It also assumes remaining in BVT (the parent condo association, allowing for 7 month swaps) at the existing agreement. Also, same point charts, which is the real killer of an extension versus a new inception.

Given the agreements under which Riviera and Reflections are joining BVT, it's pretty clear that unless they change that agreement over time, Disney won't want to "extend" any resorts under current association terms.

Unless something changes drastically, they also will want new point charts at BCV and BWV. Riviera is the best clue you have to that. Riviera has a premium point chart compared to those two, and isn't actually walking to two parks.

We have been talking about this and wondering about this for several years now. But it might not be bad to have a thread specifically devoted to this, since most of the discussion has taken place on other threads for other topics

Definitive? No. Speculative? Yes. I would slightly disagree with a prior poster about companies and how far they think ahead. Most major ones have long-term strategic planning, though I'll grant you that they are more concerned with the next, say, five years. That being said, this will be relatively new territory for Disney as those mentioned resorts get older. The more likely scenario is as aurora says above: new contracts vice extending current ones. Why? More money in it for Disney. It will be fascinating to watch the process play out starting in about another decade. By then, they'll likely have a pretty good idea of what their plan will be a decade later. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
My guesses (which will end up being completely wrong):

Beach Club will be completely rebuilt/expanded to adjacent land as it would have little to no impact on the main BC/YC resorts or surrounding businesses. Special offers will be made to existing members.

Boardwalk will be extended at some point, maybe when there are 10-15 years left. A major rebuild/renovation would be costly and complicated as it sits directly on the boardwalk with restaurants and shops inside of it, contains the main pool for the BoardWalk Inn (would affect business at a non-DVC resort, too intertwined with non-DVC Disney business); it is effectively 50% of the BoardWalk hotel (where the villas at BC are its own standalone building away from BC/YC). I also think this will happen this way because they don't want to lose BCV and BWV at the same time, and I think BCV is far less complicated to let expire on time.

Bolder Ridge I have no guess as to what happens here as there are two DVC resorts on that property and plenty of surrounding land to do whatever they want.

Hilton Head may no longer be a DVC resort after it expires.

Old Key West (non-extended) will just be resold as shorter contracts so everyone expires at once.

Vero Beach may no longer be a DVC resort after it expires.

My guesses (which will end up being completely wrong):

Beach Club will be completely rebuilt/expanded to adjacent land as it would have little to no impact on the main BC/YC resorts or surrounding businesses. Special offers will be made to existing members.

Boardwalk will be extended at some point, maybe when there are 10-15 years left. A major rebuild/renovation would be costly and complicated as it sits directly on the boardwalk with restaurants and shops inside of it, contains the main pool for the BoardWalk Inn (would affect business at a non-DVC resort, too intertwined with non-DVC Disney business); it is effectively 50% of the BoardWalk hotel (where the villas at BC are its own standalone building away from BC/YC). I also think this will happen this way because they don't want to lose BCV and BWV at the same time, and I think BCV is far less complicated to let expire on time.

Bolder Ridge I have no guess as to what happens here as there are two DVC resorts on that property and plenty of surrounding land to do whatever they want.

Hilton Head may no longer be a DVC resort after it expires.

Old Key West (non-extended) will just be resold as shorter contracts so everyone expires at once.

Vero Beach may no longer be a DVC resort after it expires.
They could add Boulder Ridge to Copper Creek and sell the rooms at a brand new higher price.

As one can see in reading through this thread, there are plenty of speculative guesses as to what will happen in 2042 but bottom line is simply "nobody knows". I think the safest course of action would be to expect the contracts (as stated in the purchase documents) to expire in 2042.

Last edited:
They could add Boulder Ridge to Copper Creek and sell the rooms at a brand new higher price.
I suspect not just because CCV is now the last O14 relative to BVT trade rules. Unless they do something that changes rules on existing owners, which has not happened to date but, Disney, ya know?

Boardwalk will be extended at some point, maybe when there are 10-15 years left...

I agree with Aurora on this one. BWV was an early DVC and the point charts reflect that. Disney will be looking to reprice those standard villas ASAP.

Also, BWV will have the same legal issues as OKW - if Disney extends the resort ground lease, some owners will dig in and see if they can get the extension for free.

Not happening.

I agree that VB is probably out of the system. HHI is still 50/50 IMO.

I agree with Aurora on this one. BWV was an early DVC and the point charts reflect that. Disney will be looking to reprice those standard villas ASAP.

Also, BWV will have the same legal issues as OKW - if Disney extends the resort ground lease, some owners will dig in and see if they can get the extension for free.

Not happening.

I agree that VB is probably out of the system. HHI is still 50/50 IMO.
Ya, you know Disney is hating on those low point charts there now.

Unless something changes drastically, they also will want new point charts at BCV and BWV. Riviera is the best clue you have to that. Riviera has a premium point chart compared to those two, and isn't actually walking to two parks.
I noticed that. The point chart for Riviera is high, and nothing to back that up with?

My guess, everyone stops being members at those resorts. DVD owns them all, remodels, and then starts selling points at $500+/point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter