DVC Stays - Are Youtubers incorrectly not disclosing gifts from Disney?

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
I have noticed a large uptick in DVC resort stays for YouTubers.

Now possibly this is based on the restrictions for park reservations but seems fairly strange as most of these YouTubers can't be making that much money off their channels to support them paying $400/$500 a night for 1-2 videos of content.

I also notice this in the past when some YouTubers don't disclose they are at Disney sponsored events where everything is free for them.

What has been really weird is how their "friends" happens to get them tours of DVC rooms for their vlogs.

Now possibly this is based on the restrictions for park reservations but seems fairly strange as most of these YouTubers can't be making that much money off their channels to support them paying $400/$500 a night for 1-2 videos of content.

I also notice this in the past when some YouTubers don't disclose they are at Disney sponsored events where everything is free for them.

What has been really weird is how their "friends" happens to get them tours of DVC rooms for their vlogs.
There are a lot of people with expiring points and no intention of traveling yet. If they have a favorite vlogger it’s completely reasonable to offer them use of the points. Then they get to help provide content. DVC is also doing a huge push for tours right now (which seemed super weird to me) but even we got the email offering a free gift for a tour and we are already owners.

You may be surprised how much some popular social media people make. Some popular and active "influencers" can make big bucks

Also a lot of people had reservations but their resorts are not open so they got moved to DVC resorts which are open.

Some have been gifted points by DVC owners who can't use their points, some may actually own DVC themselves - I know WDW own DVC. Some youtubers who have great followings can afford to stay at these resorts. If they pay themselves, it is likely a business expense that they can write off.

As far as the room tours. DVC has opened up rooms for room tours, so what you are seeing isn't some special treatment. DVC is trying to drum up interest.

Perks from Disney, $ from us watching, perks from DVC Owners. This super young gal (mid 20s?) [not disney related] that my wife watches her videos, she just bought a $1M+ home. They can make a lot of $ !!!

“Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.” – Yoda

What specific youtubers? We watch Prince Charming Dev and he has disclosed in multiple videos that Viewers have gifted him nights to stay since they wouldn't be able to use their points. Which I think is very generous of them lol. You can tell also that He's very humble about it.

Also of the tours, if you've heard of Here With the Ears, they've been to almost every room with their own points. In one of their videos they mentioned they have 475 DVC points that they banked are borrowed and even had to rent points to have enough to make their videos. Which is crazy but I love their room tours they are very high quality.

Perks from Disney, $ from us watching, perks from DVC Owners. This super young gal (mid 20s?) [not disney related] that my wife watches her videos, she just bought a $1M+ home. They can make a lot of $ !!!

“Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.” – Yoda

Oh I know all about the ad revenue, donations from fans, ect. Also it depends on the streamer/vlogger as to what their view counts are and if they are able to live off it or not.

There are a few power vloggers out there but many more that might max out at a couple hundred or thousand views. Typically you are only going to make $5/1000 views (if that) from your content. They may also be choosing to take a loss on the room right now for channel growth long term as its open season to gain a following right now as people watch more content with less personal travel.

You may be surprised how much some popular social media people make. Some popular and active "influencers" can make big bucks

Some yes but a channels with less than 10k followers and 5k views on videos are going to be difficult to live on and would be more so a "start-up". I am not saying they can't make a living off it like TimTheTatman and DFB but there are many more small channels.

What specific youtubers? We watch Prince Charming Dev and he has disclosed in multiple videos that Viewers have gifted him nights to stay since they wouldn't be able to use their points. Which I think is very generous of them lol. You can tell also that He's very humble about it.

Also of the tours, if you've heard of Here With the Ears, they've been to almost every room with their own points. In one of their videos they mentioned they have 475 DVC points that they banked are borrowed and even had to rent points to have enough to make their videos. Which is crazy but I love their room tours they are very high quality.

There has been a couple lately and various ones historically that seem to not properly disclose things that have smaller viewership. My goal is not to get them in trouble and more so discuss if Disney seems to be doing anything outside the lines.

With the room tours I saw a couple individuals actually be let in by Disney personnel (it wasn't the type of thing you are talking about likely). Sounds like this is a normal thing going on though. It just strike me as I saw it happening across all channels so almost seemed like the Disney vlogger events they have had at times in the past.

LOL .... i think you would be very shocked at the income youtube vloggers are making

LOL .... i think you would be very shocked at the income youtube vloggers are making

Nope wouldn't and while I am not in the business myself I understand the mechanics around viewership, sponsors, members.

There is lots of money at the same time there is a reason not everyone has a YT channel and is making tons of money. Same thing as Twitch although there more do it as a side gig since it can be done in evenings and many would be gaming to some capacity regardless.

You understand roughly every 1000 views is like $5? So when they have 20-30 videos with 3k-5k that's only like $500 to $750 for the month. They may have merch or a tier members option though which can help raise that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter