DVDMC files amendments to separate use year from unit #

With the change I would think that large contracts would become much more appealing to Disney for ROFR purposes. Price per point is typically lower and you only have closing costs and any sort of fees once rather than multiple times in buying back smaller contracts. Previously they may have thought twice about buying back a 500+ pt contract if they could only sell those points as the given UY....being able to break it up in both points and UY would mean they really have no risk of being stuck with some points in a given UY.

With the change I would think that large contracts would become much more appealing to Disney for ROFR purposes. Price per point is typically lower and you only have closing costs and any sort of fees once rather than multiple times in buying back smaller contracts. Previously they may have thought twice about buying back a 500+ pt contract if they could only sell those points as the given UY....being able to break it up in both points and UY would mean they really have no risk of being stuck with some points in a given UY.

Possibly. I guess it would depend how many points they want to have "on hand" for add-ons and the occasional first time buyer at the various legacy resorts.

Is BCVs at the very top of the wait list request? Or Boardwalk maybe?

We really have no idea. At one time they had closed the waitlist for additional names for BCV, VGC and VGF so one might assume they had the longest ones.

I was supposed to be on a BLT waitlist but with 2 large increases since that time I never even bothered following up. If by some crazy chance I did get the call I'd laugh and decline.
I do like your style, Kathy.

Is BCVs at the very top of the wait list request? Or Boardwalk maybe?
It depends on which guide or bus driver you happen to ask. You can call 3 times and the wait list is closed because it's so long, and then the next day someone magically finds you points to buy right there at that moment. Who knows.

We really have no idea. At one time they had closed the waitlist for additional names for BCV, VGC and VGF so one might assume they had the longest ones.
Yeah, it's my understanding these are the tougher ones to buy direct. We got BWV 3 times via direct. 2 week wait in 2014, 6 week wait in 2014 and no wait in 2016.

I think many that were already on WL are now saying « no thx » due to ridiculous direct pricing. DVC could end up with a bunch of unsellable inventory.
I don't think DVC is buying with hopes of selling now that they can change UY. Most likely they will fill orders on demand by ROFR them as needed.

I don't think DVC is buying with hopes of selling now that they can change UY. Most likely they will fill orders on demand by ROFR them as needed.
I don’t understand. They’ve already scooped up a large amount via ROFR in the last few months. Then they hiked prices even more. Many on WL are passing from what I’ve read here & elsewhere.

I dont think DVC is going to ROFR contracts to build an inventory hoping they can sell them since now they can change the UY. What they can do now is ROFR contracts as they get buyers for them no need to have an inventory and have to pay monthly maintenance fees.

Last edited:
It all makes sense now... I called today to ask my guide about Riviera and she said "let me check on your Grand Cal waitlist". I laughed and said, maybe another 3 or 4 years... Then she said that there was a change where they can pool all the ROFR'd points and change UY. She said I'll get points this year. (I'm still skeptical).

I mentioned they almost never ROFR VGC and she said that is going to change and that they are going to be very aggressive with resorts that have a waitlist. (it's from a guide, so who knows...).

I couldn't figure out how they could pool and change UY, but you all are on it...

It all makes sense now... I called today to ask my guide about Riviera and she said "let me check on your Grand Cal waitlist". I laughed and said, maybe another 3 or 4 years... Then she said that there was a change where they can pool all the ROFR'd points and change UY. She said I'll get points this year. (I'm still skeptical).

I mentioned they almost never ROFR VGC and she said that is going to change and that they are going to be very aggressive with resorts that have a waitlist. (it's from a guide, so who knows...).

I couldn't figure out how they could pool and change UY, but you all are on it...
They can’t really Pool points from multiple units, their change didn’t address this and likely they never can (because that would change the points declared in a unit). However, they can offer you a deed for the points available on each unit they have (perhaps they could deed two units in one deed not sure if that is allowed though). I’m guessing it was a poor choice of words on the guide’s part.

The new change does allow them to have multiple use years in the same unit, some resorts already allowed this but the most recent update made it consistent across all resorts.

Last edited:
I know it's DVD's "game" and it can set rules however it wants, but I still don't think it's fair for DVD to be able to change a contract's UY to whatever it wants while none of the other owners have that option when contracts change hands.

LAX

I know it's DVD's "game" and it can set rules however it wants, but I still don't think it's fair for DVD to be able to change a contract's UY to whatever it wants while none of the other owners have that option when contracts change hands.

LAX

That's what we agree to when we purchase. They can also split or combine points into whatever size contracts they want (within the same unit #). It is what it is.

That's what we agree to when we purchase. They can also split or combine points into whatever size contracts they want (within the same unit #). It is what it is.

What does within the same unit # mean? Split is clear to me - combine isn't...? Is this one of the ROFR components that sellers wouldn't notice. (DVC wants 25 points from "your unit" so values the contract more than others...)

What does within the same unit # mean? Split is clear to me - combine isn't...? Is this one of the ROFR components that sellers wouldn't notice. (DVC wants 25 points from "your unit" so values the contract more than others...)

The properties are divided into physical "residential units" for sales purposes. The flexible ownership plan is what allows you to reserve any unit. If you look on your deed, you can see which physical unit you own a piece of. It's probably about a square centimeter behind a dresser, but you do own physical real estate in a certain area of the facility.

The properties are divided into physical "residential units" for sales purposes. The flexible ownership plan is what allows you to reserve any unit. If you look on your deed, you can see which physical unit you own a piece of. It's probably about a square centimeter behind a dresser, but you do own physical real estate in a certain area of the facility.
I will add that you aren't reserving a Unit but reserving a Vacation Home Type. The Units may consist of 1, multiple or even fractions of Vacation Homes. The Unit as you stated is meant to represent the real estate interest and more importantly the POS does specifically deny them from adding removing points from a Unit so as you stated they can't combine point across Units.

It seems that DVC really does want to change the rules in the middle of the game if the score is not working in their favor. Some games they can win, others they were not able to, not yet anyways. But the ability to do this just screams to me, buyer beware.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter