DXDP kids must eat off kids menu

Mmw37

Mouseketeer
We’re here right now, 2 adults/2kids on DxDP, and a DVC stay. I can’t track credits on the app. We are being told repeatedly that credits are no longer pooled, as of Jan 1. My older boy doesn’t want kids meals, and they won’t let him order off the adult menu (Raglan Road did when I pressed them, but wouldn’t allow him to get an app. Tiffins and Homecomin’ flat out refused). They also aren’t letting kids get any of the souvenir/specialty drinks. For adults, it’s still one app/entree/dessert, plus one drink. Max value varies - one place said up to $19, another said $16 and under. When I had coffee and a Bloody Mary at breakfast I got charged for the coffee. I should have asked or called before buying the plan, as we would not have done it without credits being pooled. Lesson learned!

I copied this post from the actual experiences post

Anyone else run into this? First I’ve heard it being enforced

Their website does reflect this policy currently (kids only ordering off of children’s menu, even on deluxe). So my bad, i just didn’t think to check. We’ve had two servers tell us that this changed in January along with the alcoholic drinks being added. Not a huge deal, and we only got it for the first half of a split stay. Just wanted to share with others who might not have known!

ETA: After a little more digging, this may have been a grey area prior to 2018, per the boards. The only other time we did DxDP (or any plan at all - we don’t typically eat QS), my one >3 y/o at the time was encouraged to order off of either menu everywhere we went. If it was a loophole, it seems to have closed.
Thanks for sharing!

Wow! I knew the non Disney owned restaurants were a bit stricter, but this is new for the Disney owned. Tiffins? I would have thought they would absolutely be okay with this.

That’s a bummer that you're feeling disappointed, but I think it’s just misunderstanding of a few policies. Souvenir beverage cups and the like (retail stuff, things you can take home) aren’t included, and the definition of what is a specialty drink for kids is pretty narrow. Most restaurants don’t include very many good (expensive) options. If a Disney child is ordering and paying with credits from the plan, they have to order from the kids menu. You’re welcome to pay out of pocket for an adult meal for your kids whenever you want, pay for your and your wife’s meal with the plan, and then use those unused “child” credits at another adult meal for yourself or your wife or another adult. That’s what pooled credits referred to, they aren’t themselves split into adult or child credits, but if a child is using one they have to order off the kids menu. Hope that helps.

It’s harder for a typical family of 2 adults and 2 kids who eat together at every restaurant to save a ton of money on the DxDP. Much easier when there is a party with two rooms and you can put 1 adult with 3 kids in one, and say 3 adults in the other, and use all the plan credits on the 4 adults. That’s taking pooled credits to the extreme.

This was not enforced with the DxDDP. Kids could order from the adult menu, and were often encouraged to do so. They even could mix and match at CRT, larger portion of the kids appetizer, adult entrée and dessert. The enforcement is new.

I am not following. OP was wanting to use her and her DH's adult credits for DS and they would not allow??? So if I had DxDP in my room for DH and I and we went to dinner with SIL and BIL, they could not use our credits???? Last Oct we, us and in laws, had two DVC rooms for 4 nights and got the DxDP on one room and shared credits so we could do 3 signature dinners together.

I am not following. OP was wanting to use her and her DH's adult credits for DS and they would not allow??? So if I had DxDP in my room for DH and I and we went to dinner with SIL and BIL, they could not use our credits???? Last Oct we, us and in laws, had two DVC rooms for 4 nights and got the DxDP on one room and shared credits so we could do 3 signature dinners together.

No, the OP has 2 adults and 2 kids. In the past, kids on the DxDDP have been able to order adult meals, and even encouraged to do so by wait staff.

You can definitely still do what you want to do as you are all adults, and you can use your credits to pay for their meals.

What we don't know right now is if they have really "unpooled" the credits and can see that people have paid for kid's plan, but want to use the kid's credits to pay for an adult (not on the plan) meal. Make sense?

We’re here right now, 2 adults/2kids on DxDP, and a DVC stay. I can’t track credits on the app. We are being told repeatedly that credits are no longer pooled, as of Jan 1. My older boy doesn’t want kids meals, and they won’t let him order off the adult menu (Raglan Road did when I pressed them, but wouldn’t allow him to get an app. Tiffins and Homecomin’ flat out refused). They also aren’t letting kids get any of the souvenir/specialty drinks. For adults, it’s still one app/entree/dessert, plus one drink. Max value varies - one place said up to $19, another said $16 and under. When I had coffee and a Bloody Mary at breakfast I got charged for the coffee. I should have asked or called before buying the plan, as we would not have done it without credits being pooled. Lesson learned!

@Mmw37 how old are your kids?

Last edited:
Thanks buddy. How old are your kids and where did you eat?

4-7. We ate at resort and park restaurants, plus The Edison. When they scanned my band upon being seated, it showed how many adults and children were registered to my room, and also showed one number for total deluxe dining credits. Drink limits varied by restaurant, but were never limited to less than $12. Also, credits have never shown up on the app for DVCers.

From what it sounds like, according to bwbuddy5, credits are still pooled (I think he also posted this in the 2018 Dining plan thread recently). I'm guessing that this situation is some sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding between the OP and the servers. The servers can't force you to order a certain type of meal. The OP should just tell the server to charge them an adult dining credit for the adult meal that the child is ordering...I wonder what the servers response would be and what or how he would do it in this case since the person is on the DxDDP.

It will be interesting to hear back from the OP on how his remaining dining adventures have gone...hopefully things are going better!

It sounds like the restaurants enforced the rule that child must order from child menu. This is very clearly outlined in the Dining plan. Even if credits are pooled in the system, it is possible to enforce it at the table.

so they are paying kid, under 10, price but want to order adult meals for them??? never thought that was a thing. though it has been many many moons since we had kids under 10. when we did, the kid DP price was like $9.95. and tips and apps were included.

It sounds like the restaurants enforced the rule that child must order from child menu. This is very clearly outlined in the Dining plan. Even if credits are pooled in the system, it is possible to enforce it at the table.

That seems bizarre-adults could use child credits for adult meals but children can’t.

so they are paying kid, under 10, price but want to order adult meals for them??? never thought that was a thing. though it has been many many moons since we had kids under 10. when we did, the kid DP price was like $9.95. and tips and apps were included.
Yes. DxDDP for adults is $116 per night for adults and it's $40 per night for kids under 10. All credits as the same, there are no TS credits and CS credits. In the past all the credits were pooled so anyone could order off the adult menu.

OP here. My kids are 3 and 6. The 3 y/o is totally fine with the kids’ menu, but 6 y/o has a big appetite and a pretty broad palate. We’ll be eating at CG tonight, our last night on the plan, so i’ll ask again for research purposes. We WERE allowed to order adult meals for both kids today at Blizzard Beach QS. I fetched two meals and DH got the other two though (because we were buying from two different locations), so the kids weren’t actually present with us at the counters.

We didn’t care about the souvenir/specialty drinks for kids, I just wasn’t sure going in if they’d be an option. I thought I’d read speculation in the fall that they might be allowed, but it’s only milk/juice/soda for kids per all of our waiters so far.

I just figured I’d share, hope it helps people in their decision-making processes. We’re on to the second half of our split stay tonight, so paying OOP after this evening’s meal. :)

Last edited:

Ahhh, I see what you are saying! It's the enforcing part that's bugging me...unless provided additional information, the server is making assumptions that the son of the OP is actually a child and part of the dining plan and therefore must order a childs' entree.

OP here. My kids are 3 and 6. The 3 y/o is totally fine with the kids’ menu, but 6 y/o has a big appetite and a pretty broad palate. We’ll be eating at CG tonight, our last night on the plan, so i’ll ask again for research purposes. We WERE allowed to order adult meals for both kids today at Blizzard Beach QS. I fetched two meals and DH got the other two though (because we were buying from two different locations), so the kids weren’t actually present with us at the counters.

We didn’t care about the souvenir/specialty drinks for kids, I just wasn’t sure going in if they’d be an option. I thought I’d read speculation in the fall that they might be allowed, but it’s only milk/juice/soda for kids per all of our waiters so far.

I just figured I’d share, hope it helps people in their decision-making processes. We’re on to the second half of our split stay tonight, so paying OOP after this evening’s meal. :)

Sorry if this is a little bit off topic, but OP, you used DxDDP credits for the meals at BB QS? What was included?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts