"Ear"tiquette

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
Was listening to the DISunplugged this week and Corey mentioned about taking one's ears off during shows and stuff so as not to impede the view of the guests behind you. I agree and did so all last week during our trip. On most rides, and all shows I removed my ears. I also agree that some people may have them secure with pins and such so it is not possible to remove them. Quite understandable. Do you remove your ears?

And while we are at it...STOP PUTTING KIDS ON YOUR SHOULDERS. It is so beyond rude and selfish. Witnessed a near fist fight between dads at Illuminations last week over this. If you think you may have to lift your kid so they can see better, hold them on your hip so they are level with your height or if shoulders are a must then stand somewhere that there is a wall behind you so you aren't ruining the view for the hundreds behind you.

Yes, I removed my ears for shows where I knew people would be trying to see from behind me.

I don't wear them anymore, but I always did. I feel like every single time I go to Philharmagic I wind up stuck behind a very tall woman with ears on.

We last visited in January and the number of people (mostly women) with headband ears was noticeably greater than the year before. NONE of them removed their ears in shows/movies/etc. I started to try to sit behind someone without ears because I knew that I would have to look through big, wide sparkly mouse ears otherwise. I don't think people are intentionally rude. I just think they don't know how much the ears increase the space blocked over their heads. It's like sitting behind tall men in every single show. So ... if you wear ears, please think about the people behind you! Thanks :).

I haven't found a ride besides Everest that's fast enough that I need to remove my ears!

I will be mindful to remove them if we are watching a show with people behind us. I doubt I'll remove them for slow moving boat rides though - you don't really need to look straight ahead through my ears on those and I've never been bothered by people's ears on rides.

Honestly, I really only wear ears one day of the trip, then the novelty wears off.

Last edited:
I remove them for shows and most rides. Fast rides because they will fly off and slow rides (Safari, boat rides) so they don’t disrupt people’s views. At shows I also won’t hesitate to (nicely) ask someone in front of me if they can take theirs off. They have always been cool with removing them and then other people around hear that and they also take off theirs.

I wish it was like in Tokyo, where they make an actual announcement to remove large hats and ears (plus don’t lift cameras above your head)

Yes, I remove my ears for everything to be courteous... except I did keep my Coco ears on during the mariachi band performance of the story of Coco. I HAD to wear them for that. But I staked out a spot in the front row and sat, and people behind me were standing. I got some compliments on them too! :)

I try to remember, but sometimes I am so busy looking around, I forget to take my ears off right before a show. I have no problem with someone leaning forward and politely asking me to remove them. In fact, I usually thank THEM for reminding me.

I do remove mine but in all honesty I am only 5' so even with ears I don't block many people's view. I guess that is another positive to being short that I can add to my list...along with not having to duck to go under some tree branches :rotfl2:

I don't wear them anymore, but I always did. I feel like every single time I go to Philharmagic I wind up stuck behind a very tall woman with ears on.

This literally just happened to me today watching Philharmagic... insanely annoying. Couldn’t see a quarter of the screen.

As a shortie, I am forever unable to see anything. My hubby usually has to remind me to remove my ears because I don’t expect that 5’1” tall me will block anyone.

I would not be offended if someone asked me to remove my ears... I am offended if people ask me to let their kid, who is TALLER then me to sit/stand in front of me. Yes that has happened. These kids can see over my non mouse eared head.

But that is another story.

I disagree with the shoulders thing.

After a long day at the park holding a child is exhausting. It’s so much easier (and so much more fun for them) to put them on your shoulders.

I’ve never had a problem with that, if there’s a kid-on-shoulders in front of me I just move one step to the left/right... problem solved.

I disagree with the shoulders thing.

After a long day at the park holding a child is exhausting. It’s so much easier (and so much more fun for them) to put them on your shoulders.

I’ve never had a problem with that, if there’s a kid-on-shoulders in front of me I just move one step to the left/right... problem solved.
I wish I could go when there is room step one step to the left or the right on main street. Every time I go it's too crowded to step to the side, especially once the lights go down and the kid goes up.

I wish I could go when there is room step one step to the left or the right on main street. Every time I go it's too crowded to step to the side, especially once the lights go down and the kid goes up.

I guess it makes sense that etiquette should be adjusted to the situation.

I definitely wouldn’t put a kid on my shoulders if it’s packed and the people behind me couldn’t adjust.

I guess it makes sense that etiquette should be adjusted to the situation.

I definitely wouldn’t put a kid on my shoulders if it’s packed and the people behind me couldn’t adjust.

This is going to sound terrible but I have found the parents putting kids up on their shoulders with no concern for anyone typically come from other countries. At least all of them around me last night were, at the very least they didn’t speak English. I can imagine it being easier to have disregard for others around you if you’re not from their country and don’t speak their language. By no means am I saying Americans can’t be inconsiderate, but like the internet being in a foreign country gives you a slight veil of anonymity.

Also another thing that I saw happen, slightly unrelated by figured it still applies; two women and a baby were boxed in last night during Happily Ever After on Main Street and stuck between a garden fence, a large foreign man, and a child in a wheelchair. They very nicely indicated they wanted to move because their baby was upset, and the large foreign man just stood there staring at them.

After he got the message the ladies were trying to leave he started pointing at the wheel chair like it was the handicap child’s fault (not his child even, mind you) for the reason they couldn’t get by. I had to step in at that point and directed him to move. Eventually two or three others around him did the same, and he got this really angry look on his face then finally moved about two feet to the right (that’s all he had to do!) so the ladies could get past.

We had to direct him back to his spot because the only way we got him to move was ensuring someone else wouldn’t sneak in and take his spot. It was one of those times at first I thought I was seeing humanity at its lowest, followed by the small rally around the ladies showing me the best in humanity.

Last edited:
I've never taken my ears off for a show but my parents hardly ever stopped to watch them so the last time we went out of our way to watch them I didn't think about it. I might take them off for a fast ride otherwise they're staying on, IMO it doesn't bother me to see other people have ears on, you're in Disney and it's cute. However, holding cell phones out to record shows is way more annoying especially if it blocks my view of the show or to get a good recording spot you enter my bubble. That I have a problem with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter