"Ear"tiquette

I've never taken my ears off for a show but my parents hardly ever stopped to watch them so the last time we went out of our way to watch them I didn't think about it. I might take them off for a fast ride otherwise they're staying on, IMO it doesn't bother me to see other people have ears on, you're in Disney and it's cute. However, holding cell phones out to record shows is way more annoying especially if it blocks my view of the show or to get a good recording spot you enter my bubble. That I have a problem with.

It does kind of suck when the 10+ people directly behind you see nothing but big black circles instead of a quarter of the screen or show they’re trying to watch. Food for thought. Glad you’re enjoying yourself and the “cuteness” though. At least through a cellphone screen you can still see what’s going on from behind, just a lot smaller lol

And while we are at it...STOP PUTTING KIDS ON YOUR SHOULDERS. It is so beyond rude and selfish. Witnessed a near fist fight between dads at Illuminations last week over this. If you think you may have to lift your kid so they can see better, hold them on your hip so they are level with your height or if shoulders are a must then stand somewhere that there is a wall behind you so you aren't ruining the view for the hundreds behind you.

I 1,000,000% agree with you, but I fear we might be fighting a losing battle here. It goes along with the sense of entitlement people who pay Disney Parks prices are going to have, namely "I bought this ticket so I can do what I want" - especially when it comes to their kids.

FWIW, I also get tired of having to watch the nighttime shows, parades, etc through other people's cell phones. (Just sayin'.) :rolleyes2

It makes sense but I dont really think about it. I typically, somehow, magically always end up in the back of a crowd during the parade. I don't mind because I literally go all the time to see the parade so much so that I know the whole thing by heart but because Im so short I highly doubt anyone has trouble seeing over my head haha.

As for wearing them on rides it's rare that I ride any of the rollercoasters at Disney because they're not that fun to me (I go to Universal for that) so I'm mostly on dark rides or rides with a back to the carts like Haunted Mansion. But it's a nice idea and very courteous.

I've never taken my ears off for a show but my parents hardly ever stopped to watch them so the last time we went out of our way to watch them I didn't think about it. I might take them off for a fast ride otherwise they're staying on, IMO it doesn't bother me to see other people have ears on, you're in Disney and it's cute. However, holding cell phones out to record shows is way more annoying especially if it blocks my view of the show or to get a good recording spot you enter my bubble. That I have a problem with.
No doubt they are cute! But they visually increase the space your head takes up both vertically and horizontally: they stick up above your head and also stick out to both sides. They really do ruin the view of the person behind you in shows.

No doubt they are cute! But they visually increase the space your head takes up both vertically and horizontally: they stick up above your head and also stick out to both sides. They really do ruin the view of the person behind you in shows.

I don't see how something that barely makes someone 5'4 with ears and has someone who is 6ft standing behind them blocks fireworks that are in the sky. If the show is something like The Muppets or Philharmagic then absolutely take them off. For HEA I don't see the need, especially if you're not standing dead straight in front of the castle as the best part are in the sky. If the visual component of a nighttime show requires sitting, rivers of light for example, then yes it's appropriate to take of the ears. But if you're standing in the MK for HEA then you're likely going to miss something on the castle due to people standing in front of you who are taller. You get to see the more important things though regardless of ears or height. Children on shoulders take up much more visual space. Ears are not going to block me from enjoying seeing fireworks appearing behind the castle.

I don't see how something that barely makes someone 5'4 with ears and has someone who is 6ft standing behind them blocks fireworks that are in the sky. If the show is something like The Muppets or Philharmagic then absolutely take them off. For HEA I don't see the need, especially if you're not standing dead straight in front of the castle as the best part are in the sky. If the visual component of a nighttime show requires sitting, rivers of light for example, then yes it's appropriate to take of the ears. But if you're standing in the MK for HEA then you're likely going to miss something on the castle due to people standing in front of you who are taller. You get to see the more important things though regardless of ears or height. Children on shoulders take up much more visual space. Ears are not going to block me from enjoying seeing fireworks appearing behind the castle.
You said "show" and not "fireworks" in the post I quoted. People wearing ears during the fireworks doesn't bother me. People wearing ears in the shows (Muppets, Philharmagic, etc., even Star Wars) does.

I disagree with the shoulders thing.

After a long day at the park holding a child is exhausting. It’s so much easier (and so much more fun for them) to put them on your shoulders.

I’ve never had a problem with that, if there’s a kid-on-shoulders in front of me I just move one step to the left/right... problem solved.

I cannot agree with this. If your child is tired, by all means carry him or her, but not on your shoulders. Unless you are in the back. I am short, 5'3" and my DH is 6'6" so viewing can be a challenge. He knows his stature and will do all he can to avoid blocking the view for others, and tham often means we stand in the back. That's when he propped out DGD on his shoulders. If we were in the middle she perched on his arm in front of him, like a bird. We almost never can stand in front becuase we do not like to block others view, but that often means I am tryign to see between people. If I have to try to see over your child on your shoulders, well I cannot.

Ears? Oh my, those cute little view blockers. I try to remember to take them off in shows. Last trip we had Santa type hats and the little ears flopped forward, so they did nto block anyone.

I think it is ok to put your child on your shoulders, as long as you are standing someplace with no one else behind you. Otherwise you may as well say you don't care if you are ruining someone else's experience, as long as you and your child are having fun.

Stand at the back if you plan to put your child on your shoulders. Otherwise plan a way to see the fireworks without having to do so--get there early for a good spot or book a fireworks party/dinner experience.

I think it is ok to put your child on your shoulders, as long as you are standing someplace with no one else behind you. Otherwise you may as well say you don't care if you are ruining someone else's experience, as long as you and your child are having fun.

Stand at the back if you plan to put your child on your shoulders. Otherwise plan a way to see the fireworks without having to do so--get there early for a good spot or book a fireworks party/dinner experience.

The problem with this is 99% of the time someone else is behind you at Disney. Otherwise I do agree, just think about the people around you and most problems will be solved! Too bad most don’t do that. “I don’t really think about it” loosely translates to “I don’t really think about how I impact people around me”.

I take my ears off on most rides - even the dark rides. I actually lost a pair of ears on Mr Toads Wild ride in Disneyland. Luckily was able to get them back. The only rides I'll keep them on are the ones where it's enclosed like Haunted mansion buggy's. I also wear the light up ears - my friends love that I'm easy to follow. I turn them off for all rides & shows. It's annoying even to me to have them flashing on a dark ride like Haunted Mansion.

While I try to be considerate with my ears if they are every in anyone's way I don't have an issue having someone asking me to remove them. I would hope that most ear going people wouldn't mind being asked them to be removed if someone couldn't see behind them.

That’s literally the whole point of them.....
Sorry, I haven't checked back for awhile. I was referring to the show in the American pavilion at Epcot - also the Muppets show in Hollywood Studios. I actually find them distracting at the fireworks shows, especially if you're trying to see the castle projections at MK, but I can understand how others would disagree.

I don't have a problem with people putting their kids on their shoulders if they are little... if its like an 8 year old kid... then it starts getting wild, but small children who would have zero view (or worse, would run off causing a commotion)... lets be honest here, as much as we are the ones paying, this is a place for children and families, a child's view of the show is much more important to me than my view.

That said I always keep a mark on the people behind me, for the local Santa parade and tree lighting I put our then almost 1 year old on my shoulders and made sure to turn myself just slightly so that we had as slim a profile as possible, and so I could see the people behind me and adjust and communicate with them if they were having a hard time viewing the main event. Everyone was happy and my little girl got to experience the wonder rather than the backs of people's knees.

As long as you are considerate or mindful, I don't stress... there are only so many things I can control, and if I let stuff that I can't control get to me, I stop being on vacation and start being a grump... I don't want to be a grump!

Sorry, I haven't checked back for awhile. I was referring to the show in the American pavilion at Epcot - also the Muppets show in Hollywood Studios. I actually find them distracting at the fireworks shows, especially if you're trying to see the castle projections at MK, but I can understand how others would disagree.

I agree with you that they shouldn’t be used during inside shows and I’ve personally been lucky enough to never have this happen to me when I’ve been watching them but again, the whole point of the light up ears is that they’re to be used during the fireworks shows. That’s what they were made for and are marketed as being used for so that’s not going to change.

I don't have a problem with people putting their kids on their shoulders if they are little... if its like an 8 year old kid... then it starts getting wild, but small children who would have zero view (or worse, would run off causing a commotion)... lets be honest here, as much as we are the ones paying, this is a place for children and families, a child's view of the show is much more important to me than my view.

That said I always keep a mark on the people behind me, for the local Santa parade and tree lighting I put our then almost 1 year old on my shoulders and made sure to turn myself just slightly so that we had as slim a profile as possible, and so I could see the people behind me and adjust and communicate with them if they were having a hard time viewing the main event. Everyone was happy and my little girl got to experience the wonder rather than the backs of people's knees.

As long as you are considerate or mindful, I don't stress... there are only so many things I can control, and if I let stuff that I can't control get to me, I stop being on vacation and start being a grump... I don't want to be a grump!

Not getting into the kids on shoulders argument because luckily we've never had this issue and really don't care to watch the shows at MK but....completely disagree with the above bolded statement. Ridiculous.

I disagree with the shoulders thing.

After a long day at the park holding a child is exhausting. It’s so much easier (and so much more fun for them) to put them on your shoulders.

I’ve never had a problem with that, if there’s a kid-on-shoulders in front of me I just move one step to the left/right... problem solved.
Kids on shoulders is not a good idea. Not only can people behind not see a thing but i've also seen kids fall backwards onto the pavement - twice! Not pretty.

Not getting into the kids on shoulders argument because luckily we've never had this issue and really don't care to watch the shows at MK but....completely disagree with the above bolded statement. Ridiculous.

I agree, this is an absurd statement. Reminds me of when my DH and I visited many years ago before we had kids, we were in a spot in Frontierland waiting for the parade when two people with a stroller PUSHED us aside, I said "excuse me, we are standing here" and they looked at us and said "You don't even have children, why do you care?" Little did they know we had just had our second failed IVF attempt and were very upset about it, but I just moved back into my spot and enjoyed the parade.
The Disney parks are for EVERYONE, not just one particular type of person.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
You literally just said you don't care to watch the shows at MK... I not sure if you are including stage shows at the castle and/or Parades but.... Isn't that my point? You don't care for them, but people with small children do. They are designed and choreographed with children in mind.

I am not saying that the forty something's don't deserve to see the show, I am just saying we need to remember who these Parades and shows are for, as I personally got tired of trying to watch the shows and being pushed by grown adults who were much taller than me so that they could get prime viewing space well after other people arrived.

I have seen a person over the age of 50 step on a child's foot and THEN knock that same kid over in the middle of a show just to push in front of them. The mom was in tears just as the kid. All they wanted to do was watch a show they got there early enough for. Adults too often use their entitlement of paying and being adults to make places that are designed around kids things all about them and their interests. And that has led to people running through the parks at rope drop and people thinking they deserve to shove their way through a crowd.

My view will never be as important as a child's view, because putting that entitlement on myself is a childish act as an adult. The place is literally for kids and kids at heart.

I respect that you find your experience important, and you should, but I encourage anyone to take a step back and just be mindful of the people around you and help ensure they all have a good view, especially the kids who may one day be us.

Call my opinion ridiculous if you like, but let's at least be civil about it, there is room in this world for people who disagee, I should think.

You literally just said you don't care to watch the shows at MK... I not sure if you are including stage shows at the castle and/or Parades but.... Isn't that my point? You don't care for them, but people with small children do. They are designed and choreographed with children in mind.

I am not saying that the forty something's don't deserve to see the show, I am just saying we need to remember who these Parades and shows are for,
as I personally got tired of trying to watch the shows and being pushed by grown adults who were much taller than me so that they could get prime viewing space well after other people arrived.

I have seen a person over the age of 50 step on a child's foot and THEN knock that same kid over in the middle of a show just to push in front of them. The mom was in tears just as the kid. All they wanted to do was watch a show they got there early enough for. Adults too often use their entitlement of paying and being adults to make places that are designed around kids things all about them and their interests. And that has led to people running through the parks at rope drop and people thinking they deserve to shove their way through a crowd.

My view will never be as important as a child's view, because putting that entitlement on myself is a childish act as an adult. The place is literally for kids and kids at heart.

I respect that you find your experience important, and you should, but I encourage anyone to take a step back and just be mindful of the people around you and help ensure they all have a good view, especially the kids who may one day be us.

Call my opinion ridiculous if you like, but let's at least be civil about it, there is room in this world for people who disagee, I should think.

Disagree with your entire post. Emphatically.

Let's pull on the heart strings. Let's say a grandpa is there with his children and grandchildren. He entire life he has enjoyed taking his family to WDW and watching the shows, his favorite thing to do. Grandpa has been diagnosed with a terminal illness and this will be the last time he gets to watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom. Ever. You are saying Grandpa viewing the fireworks, one last time, is not as important as a small child viewing the fireworks?

So yeah, that's hyperbole, but I still think it's ridiculous to say that anyone's view is more deserving than anyone else. WDW is for everyone, not just children, not just adults.

Should people be respectful of others? Of course, that goes without saying.

Kids on shoulders is not a good idea. Not only can people behind not see a thing but i've also seen kids fall backwards onto the pavement - twice! Not pretty.

I agree, this is an absurd statement. Reminds me of when my DH and I visited many years ago before we had kids, we were in a spot in Frontierland waiting for the parade when two people with a stroller PUSHED us aside, I said "excuse me, we are standing here" and they looked at us and said "You don't even have children, why do you care?" Little did they know we had just had our second failed IVF attempt and were very upset about it, but I just moved back into my spot and enjoyed the parade.
The Disney parks are for EVERYONE, not just one particular type of person.
[/QUOTE]
And that is completely awful and rude of them, and I am sorry your IVF was (is?) Not working, infertility is awful. My thoughts are with you.
But people are trying to back my words into a corner of absolutes. Just because the Parades and shows are "for kids" doesn't mean you can't enjoy them too, and it doesn't mean you don't deserve the spot you got when you showed up in time to get that spot.

It just means that imagineers designed the performance with kids in mind. They didn't build the intracacies or complexities they might have from an adult show, and the music and choreography are such that most young children can understand the movements and follow along with the story even if they cannot hear everything.

I am only saying that, as the target audience for these Parades and shows is kids, we should be mindful of the people around us so that our actions don't prevent them from having a good time.
As someone who is short, I am almost always behind people who block my view, but I can't ask them to get shorter FOR ME. I have to do deal with it.

People who have never had to deal with learning to find angles to look might find this cumbersome and rude, but since it is part of my routine at the parks anyway, I guess my perspective is skewed toward understanding. I try not to let other people's actions mess up my day at Disney. And I just encourage everyone to think about the people around them and their view.

So please don't get hung up on my opinion that this place is for kids, that's just my opinion and not worth calling absurd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter