NEWS 5/17: Late 2019 itineraries released - link in post #1 (2020 watch thread will start soon)

I think it's a SoCal girl problem. I wouldn't be particularly enticed to a cruise because of that stop when I could do it daily. But at the same time, Catalina is pretty and I haven't been there in ages. I can't even think of cruise ships there, but it's been a really long time to be honest.
I can definitely see not being interested if you're a local...

I grew up in SoCal. My parents had a boat and at that time that's how most people got to Catalina. We used to go at least 10 times a year. I guess they had a ferry, but I don't think it really got popular until the 90's. Now cruise ships YIKES! I can't imagine how crowded that little island is. I'd like to go back and see it though. I have lots of good childhood memories from there.
I can't imagine it with cruise people... we went a Monday in July when no ships were there, and it seemed pretty crowded by midday along the beach and street/shops.

This would totally throw me off as I already started an "Alaska Cruise" notebook planning our cruise there in 2019... just waiting on sailings to be released so we can (hopefully) use our placeholder.... but if Hawaii was released... :cool1:

Me too! We already have a Mexican Riviera itinerary reserved, but if they released Hawaii, we would have to seriously reconsider!!! :earseek:

Just took another survey that had Hawaii as a line item.. as well as Catalina Island. That one was new to me... :scratchin

What was the question about Hawaii? Does a Hawaii question in a survey mean DCL is thinking about it?

Catalina seems a little random, but maybe as a stop on the way somewhere else? I mean, you can take a day "cruise" to Catalina?

Catalina as a cruise ship stop? That island is so small and there really isn't much to do or see. I think there is more to do on the ship than that island. LOL :confused3

Yes the last time they held Hawaii it was 2 dates for 10 days each. But even if they did 7 days like Norwegian does I would be happy. As I said I would just add Aulani to either the beginning or end of my trip. I think the last time It started on September 7th in Alaska to Hawaii and then the 2nd was September 17th leaving the Hawaiian Islands to Alaska. I would be just as happy if they left from Cali and cut a few days off the trip it might be less expensive for them to have this itinerary as it is. Unless one of their soon to be built cruise ships will be dedicated year round to Hawaii with an optional stop at Aulani Disney may want to think about doing this.
Those were not Alaska to Hawaii and Hawaii to Alaska, they were Vancouver to Hawaii and Hawaii to Vancouver. They cannot do an Alaska to/from Hawaii or a Cali to/from Hawaii cruise, since the ships are flagged in the Bahamas. The Passenger Vessel Services Act (sometimes incorrectly identified as the Jones Act that applies to freight shipments) restricts this. Only US-flagged and US-owned carriers (with mainly US crews and US-built ships) can sail between two US ports without a stop in a “distant” foreign port. That’s why the Panama Canal cruises include a stop in Cartegena, Columbia. Since the new ships are being built in Germany, they cannot qualify, not to mention the port of registration and the makeup of the crews.

Last edited:

Those were not Alaska to Hawaii and Hawaii to Alaska, they were Vancouver to Hawaii and Hawaii to Vancouver. They cannot do an Alaska to/from Hawaii or a Cali to/from Hawaii cruise, since the ships are flagged in the Bahamas. The Passenger Vessel Services Act (sometimes incorrectly identified as the Jones Act that applies to freight shipments) restricts this. Only US-flagged and US-owned carriers (with mainly US crews and US-built ships) can sail between two US ports without a stop in a “distant” foreign port. That’s why the Panama Canal cruises include a stop in Cartegena, Columbia. Since the new ships are being built in Germany, they cannot qualify, not to mention the port of registration and the makeup of the crews.

Note that round trip cruises starting and ending in the same port (all the NY-NY, PC-PC, Miami-Miami, San Diego-San Diego, and Galveston-Galveston) and cruises to/from the US mainland and Puerto Rico are permitted under different rules. PVSA rules sometimes restrict cruisers from booking back-to-back cruises that would result in an itinerary carrying them from one US port at the start to a different US port at the end. Fines for violations are substantial.

Last edited:

Note that round trip cruises starting and ending in the same port (all the NY-NY, PC-PC, Miami-Miami, San Diego-San Diego, and Galveston-Galveston) and cruises to/from the US mainland and Puerto Rico are permitted under different rules. PVSA rules sometimes restrict cruisers from booking back-to-back cruises that would result in an itinerary carrying them from one US port at the start to a different US port at the end. Fines for violations are substantial.

Sorry my mistake I did say I think though it was like 4 years ago and Truthfully I don't care how they do it I just want Hawaii.....

What was the question about Hawaii? Does a Hawaii question in a survey mean DCL is thinking about it?

Catalina as a cruise ship stop? That island is so small and there really isn't much to do or see. I think there is more to do on the ship than that island. LOL :confused3

We also had a post cruise survey that asked a bunch of questions about Hawaii and also Lanai separately.
Things like how interested we’d be in crusing to Hawaii, what about staying there late or overnight...
We just took the cruise Jan 21 though and took the survey a week after so I don’t think they are gathering data for summer 2019 - but who knows!

It was a 'are you interested in the following destinations' question and it also popped up on some other questions where they wanted to know if I had visited the places before on a Disney ship, other ship, or on a land based vacation.

My DH gets one...of course for years he was silver when I was platinum and now he's gold when I'm platinum so it's still not helpful at all :worried:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter