Early or Late Dining? Advantages/Disadvantages?

Scott2tune

Mouseketeer
We are sailing on October 5 Dad-& DD12. I preferred the early seating but it was filled. Should we try to move to earlier dinner- once aboard?

What are my chances? Thanks

We prefer the late seating. The shows are before you eat, so that gives you time after dinner to go to some of the bars, see dueling pianos, etc. it is also closer to our true dinner time, which is normally 7 to 7:30. We don't have to rush to get back to the ship in order to get ready for dinner. We don't have to eat breakfast the last morning at 6:30 am (I'm punished enough by having to leave, don't make me get up early too). I'll be the one still clinging to the doors when you arrive for your cruise (we're going 10/2-10/5)

I also like the second seating. Gives you more time to enjoy your day and not rush to get ready for dinner. If you are concerned about being hungry just grab a snack...there is food everywhere on board!! We would always watch our main show before dinner then catch another show in off beat right after. I think my kids would strangle us if we switched to early seating.

I thought the first main show begins during the late dining (i.e. Hercules). Is it possible to see the first main show- have a late dinner- and then see the main show again(?)

We love the main shows that much.

I read how much everyone likes the second seating. The thing is, it is too late if you have kids. It is also to late for me, I like to eat my dinner at 5:30-6:00 PM. It is by far more popular- why do you think it is all gone. When we went, we were on a waiting list for fist seating. We went to get on a waiting list there at 5:00, and we were #28. I think we moved up to # 26 by the end of the cruise. Would not count on it.

You will LOVE late seating for dinner. You get a few extra minutes to get ready for the show, so your afternoon isn't cut short. In between the show and late dinner, we had plenty of time to take photos with the characters. Dinner was relaxed and fun. Our kids are DS age 9, and DD age 11. I really think you will enjoy it.
Have fun!!

And we had late seating. She was fine with it, but all my kids did get snacks in the afternoon. You will only get one shot at most of the stage shows. Sometimes they do an afternoon performance of Disney Dreams.

Since there is two of youl, give it shot at changing. The worst they say is no.

The thing is, it is too late if you have kids.

I believe it depends on the child. I would think a 12 year old would have no problem with the late seating.

You can always get food whenever you're hungry. We had late seating with an infant and toddler, and it worked for us. Our table-mates were a single woman travelling with her 10 year-old niece, who was fine with it.

We had an afternoon rest time in our stateroom, followed by room service around 5:30 PM. We were refreshed for the evening, and were hungry again by dinner (but not ravenous.) If I have the good fortune to go on another cruise, I will definitely request the second seating.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get the seating you want, but if not, you may find you actually prefer the second seating.

Is it possible to see the first main show- have a late dinner- and then see the main show again(?)

I'm looking at a Navigator from the last night of our cruise. The first show ran during the first dinner seating, and the second show ran during the second dinner seating. You can check out the Navigators on Barb and Tony's site http://castawayclub.com for more show times.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Originally posted by MBFergie
I also like the second seating. Gives you more time to enjoy your day and not rush to get ready for dinner. If you are concerned about being hungry just grab a snack...there is food everywhere on board!! We would always watch our main show before dinner then catch another show in off beat right after.
I completely agree. We always choose the late dinner. It just makes you feel less rushed during the afternoon. And to be honest, it really doesn't feel like 8:30pm when you're eating dinner...life is so rearranged in vacation mode that it actually works out really well.

On our first cruise last summer we had to take late seating because early was booked up. We were travelling with a 12 year old and a 17 year old, so their ages didn't matter as much as the fact that we all were used to eating by 6pm. So, we were a little worried. Turned out just fine -- seeing the show before dinner worked out for us as I have read many others say because we had some relaxed time afterwards to get some photos taken, walk on deck, etc. Plus eating later for us didn't seem to matter since all concept of time seems lost while aboard the ship. We never really even felt hungry ever -- with so much eating available constantly.

This summer we asked for early seating when we made our reservations, and again were told it was not available. We just wanted to try it. But to our surprise, upon checking our dining tickets the first day in our stateroom we saw that they gave us early seating! So, we got to try that time as well. We felt that there were some minor advantages to both, as well as a few disadvantages. Early seating had more babies and toddlers at it -- consequently a louder dinner time if you know what I mean. There were young children at late seating also, just not as many. I would say a main disadvantage to early seating is the rush to get ready after a day at Castaway Cay, and the fact that with early seating you get the "joy" of early breakfast on the day of debarkation -- 6:30 am. We actually skipped breakfast in the main dining room this trip because we did not want to go at 6:30am.! We also liked late seating because there was no diners after us, so the waiters weren't trying to rush things along.

If my kids were still toddlers, I would try for the earlier dinner -- just because they are less adaptable to change in dining times than older children.

Either way, we'd be happy to go again tomorrow!

We are doing back-to-back cruises this year, one with early seating, one with late. We have always had early seating before. I have chosen early in the past because I don't like to eat so late at night, but I will say that I felt we had to interrupt our day a few times to get ready for a 6 o'clock meal. So, it's a bit of a trade-off, in my opinion. If you don't mind eating a full dinner at 8:30 or 9:00 PM, then late seating gives you more time to enjoy your day. I am actually looking forward to trying the late seating this year. We will have early seating on the Wonder, late on the Magic!

Hey - as long as I am on board, I really don't care!

:) :) :)

'Beano'

About this 6:30 Breakfast? Is there a time frame to show up or if you show up at 6:45, your just too late.

My sons are used to eating dinner around 6, but are never hungry for breakfast until right before they leave for school.

Can you do room service for breakfast if you miss the 6:30 seating. And is there a charge for room service if you do that?

Room service is not available on the last day(the only day early seating has to be in the dining room at 6:30). But you can go up to the buffet instead.

We were given late seating and when we got onboard, we went down and asked to be put on the waiting list for early. We didn't board the ship until after 1 or later. But they called an hour later and we had early. So I would check the navigator if you really want early and get down there when they open for dining changes.

There is no room service on the day you are leaving..Mariannesorry we must have posted at the same time..

Thanks very much.

I can deal with the last morning. And the buffet will be fine for the little troops.

I'm staying with early then. I don't mind if there is a rush with our dinner because of the late seating. My little army can't consistently keep their butts in their seats for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! So it's less time for me to keep saying, "Sit down please."

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Those bouncing things are indicative of their non-stop energy.

If your kids like the clubs, they usually bring the kid's meals sooner than ours(atleast our server did), that way, they are having their dessert about the time we have main courses and helps stop their waiting. I saw many parents run their kids up to the clubs after the kids were done eating and then finished their meal just husband and wife.

That way you still eat with them but when they are ancy and need to play, they can and you can eat. Mine never went to the clubs but stayed entertained and happy throughout the meal(which is very rare for them). They get a menu with activities and crayons and the servers keep them happy and entertained most of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter