Eat at Home 3!

This is the week of "use up the holiday and grandmom visit" foods:). We had a great Chinese banquet for Easter on Sunday, and devoured MOST of the leftovers for dinner on Monday...so now, it's time to use the rest and the other foods I bought for my mom that she didn't want (the only thing I will EVER toss from this takeout is the pancakes not used after 2 meals - those are unsaveable at that point:))...here's the list...

Sun - Family Style Take Out Chinese - 1.5 Peking Ducks, Sweet and Sour Pork, Moo Shu Chicken, Shrimp Lo Mein, Egg Fried Rice, Crab Rangoon, Spring Rolls, Hot and Sour Soup, and Fried Noodles and Fortune Cookies with a Strawberry and Blueberry Salad (from me) - best $105 (including a 10% takeout tip - I never tip takeout, but it was a huge order and holiday, and it was well tipped b/c they made me a gorgeous box to bring it home with all the "extras") I've spent for a holiday
Mon - All the leftovers, including the berries - we almost finished it:).
Tues - Peking Duck Inspired Meatloaf and Roasted Carrots (both got the scallions and hoisin left from the Peking Duck, with the meatloaf also getting some soy - and leftover biscuits from Saturday's dinner were the breadcrumbs for the meatloaf), Mashed Potatoes, Sliced Bananas (for those skipping the carrots)
Wed - Beef and Fresh Tomato Enchiladas with Iceberg Lettuce and a homemade Avocado Crema (my mom's salad ingredients have to go), Another Blueberry/Strawberry Salad
Thurs - Spaghetti with Bolognese Sauce (last of meat packet, any remaining tomatoes, some spinach/carrots/onion/etc), Sliced Pears and Apples
Fri - Frozen Food Night - My mom bought a shepard's pie and a chicken pot pie she didn't eat when we were at Trader Joe's...and I bought some Friday's Mozza sticks we didn't use for Good Friday...so it's gonna be a smorgasbord of baked frozen food - we'll have Orange Julius smoothies with it (my mom bought Trader Joe's fresh squeezed OJ and left me a 1/4 of the bottle, so since my kids don't drink OJ, but do drink smoothies, smoothies it is...not letting such nice product go to waste)
Sat - OUT - No idea where, but I'll also grocery shop that day, and Mother Hubbard's cupboard will be bare, so it will be a BIG shop:)...

This is the week of "use up the holiday and grandmom visit" foods:). We had a great Chinese banquet for Easter on Sunday, and devoured MOST of the leftovers for dinner on Monday...so now, it's time to use the rest and the other foods I bought for my mom that she didn't want (the only thing I will EVER toss from this takeout is the pancakes not used after 2 meals - those are unsaveable at that point:))...here's the list...

Sun - Family Style Take Out Chinese - 1.5 Peking Ducks, Sweet and Sour Pork, Moo Shu Chicken, Shrimp Lo Mein, Egg Fried Rice, Crab Rangoon, Spring Rolls, Hot and Sour Soup, and Fried Noodles and Fortune Cookies with a Strawberry and Blueberry Salad (from me) - best $105 (including a 10% takeout tip - I never tip takeout, but it was a huge order and holiday, and it was well tipped b/c they made me a gorgeous box to bring it home with all the "extras") I've spent for a holiday
Mon - All the leftovers, including the berries - we almost finished it:).
Tues - Peking Duck Inspired Meatloaf and Roasted Carrots (both got the scallions and hoisin left from the Peking Duck, with the meatloaf also getting some soy - and leftover biscuits from Saturday's dinner were the breadcrumbs for the meatloaf), Mashed Potatoes, Sliced Bananas (for those skipping the carrots)
Wed - Beef and Fresh Tomato Enchiladas with Iceberg Lettuce and a homemade Avocado Crema (my mom's salad ingredients have to go), Another Blueberry/Strawberry Salad
Thurs - Spaghetti with Bolognese Sauce (last of meat packet, any remaining tomatoes, some spinach/carrots/onion/etc), Sliced Pears and Apples
Fri - Frozen Food Night - My mom bought a shepard's pie and a chicken pot pie she didn't eat when we were at Trader Joe's...and I bought some Friday's Mozza sticks we didn't use for Good Friday...so it's gonna be a smorgasbord of baked frozen food - we'll have Orange Julius smoothies with it (my mom bought Trader Joe's fresh squeezed OJ and left me a 1/4 of the bottle, so since my kids don't drink OJ, but do drink smoothies, smoothies it is...not letting such nice product go to waste)
Sat - OUT - No idea where, but I'll also grocery shop that day, and Mother Hubbard's cupboard will be bare, so it will be a BIG shop:)...

All I can say is I wish I had Easter dinner at your house!

Planned our meals this week forgetting that DH and I are going to be away for the end of the week! Its ok - there are a couple of meals that can just stay in the freezer for next week. Our meat CSA starts up again this weekend - another bag full of who knows what, so I won't be able to finalize next week until I see if there is anything fresh that I want to cook right away (most of it comes in frozen). Will need to make some ice cream this weekend - we have a crazy amount of eggs for some reason, and the meat CSA generally provides another dozen. Maybe crustless quiche for work lunches next week too...

Mon- Lamb burgers/pita/tomato and cucumber salad
Tues- Chicken puck sandwiches, cut up veggies
Weds- BBQ Chicken, corn bread, peas, more cut up veggies
Thurs- away
Fri- away
Sat - take out pizza or out for dinner (getting home late in the day)
Sun - Home made chicken Soup/homemade bread (unless I'm inspired by the CSA goodies)

Well, now I am doing a 60 day health and fitness challenge...so the REAL challenge is eating healthy on a SUPER tight budget. If you have frugal and healthy meal ideas PLEASE SHARE!!! Here is my attempt for this week:

Wednesday:
Thai Noodle Salad with Chicken

Thursday:
Seafood Gumbo (DH's dad makes this, and brought us a huge pot of it)
WW Corn Muffins

Friday:
Black Bean Burgers
Oven Baked Tator Tots
Sautee'd Green Beans

Saturday:
Grilled Salmon Filets
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Oil
Green Salad with a Spinach base (not to be confused with the spinach salad that has bacon and a sugary dressing)

Sunday:
Ethiopian Tikel Gomen with Chicken
Roasted Asparagus

Monday: (Family cookout while DH's brother is visiting from Iowa)
Grilled Burgers and Hot Dogs
Vegetarian Baked Beans
Chips

Taco Tuesday:
Bean and Cheese Burritos (fat free beans and low fat cheese)
Chips and Salsa
Those baked sweet potatoes with coconut oil sound delicious

All I can say is I wish I had Easter dinner at your house!

My mom asked for it...she hadn't had Chinese in forever, and never had Peking Duck...since it's my normal "Christmas" holiday meal, but no one ever joins us for Easter, and I actually had her here this year, I decided it was a perfect time to repeat it...and then order everything she wanted (plus the kids wanted) with it:)...

2 meals for 7, plus extras, wasn't too bad for the price:)...(for lunch, we only did a cheese/cracker/fruit/spinach dip/deviled egg tray, so everyone was also ready to eat and splurge at dinner. And I don't do dessert for Easter with all the candy, so it's a very easy day for me - which is always the goal:)).

Hello everyone!! Awesome posts!!! Love all of your plans!!!!! Just checking in. doing good so far as I have not spent anymore money shopping. Might push some of my meal plan forward to next week. We seem to have a lot of leftovers. instead of chicken Alfredo rolls ups I made chicken pot pie noodlebake. I made pepper steak tonight. Tomorrow we are heading to red robin for my birthday. Thursday we are still planning the chill. Saturday we are still going to my friend's house. Friday and Sunday are definitely going to be leftover nights.

Doing good so far this week. My $60 month started Wednesday. Have not gone to the store yet but I am going to need to as I only have one egg left. going to try to buy as little as possible. My grand children are out of snacks when they come to visit. When I am feeling better I think I am going to make cookies so they have some treats and I don't have to buy more. I also have pretzels for them to snack on along with string cheese, fruit and other things.

Fiancee wanted me to get him some cans of mountain dew. Asked him to drink the several two liters we have first. Plus told him to finish up all of his snack cakes and cookies before we buy more.

We will not be going to my friend's for dinner. I am not feeling good. Having really bad issues with my knee. We will be eating leftovers probably until sunday. Also have soup in the freezer that can be defrosted if necessary. one positive about that is I don't have to cook and I will not be throwing stuff back in the freezer.

found several bags of broccoli and frozen pepper strips. Going to try to work on using those up. Last summer I was able to freeze a bunch of peppers as someone gave them to me. Want to use those up before buying fresh. found some pork tenderloin and some pork chops in there. Also have some chicken thighs and legs, breasts and another whole chicken. the freezer was so packed that I had a hard time shutting it before. Now there is room and I am actually finding things that I didn't know I had.

When everything is used up I think I am going to put up an eraser board and list everything I have in there. That way things get used up and I'll have a better handle on what we have and what we need to buy.

Last edited:
I have been way off the wagon the past week as I have not been feeling well and have had no energy. So this week I am going with basics and old favorites. I am hoping to "reset" myself mentally this way.

Breakfast: Frozen breakfast sandwiches and fruit
Lunch: Sandwiches (turkey or ham) on whole grain bread with cheese, tomato, and cucumbers, potato chips
Dinner:
Tonight: Deep Dish frozen pizza
Tomorrow: Rotisserie chicken, three bean salad, and mac and cheese
Sunday: Nephew's first communion and then out to brunch... will have leftovers if hungry
Monday: Chicken ceaser salad
Tuesday: Chicken salad sandwich (to finish off the chicken)
Wednesday: Shrimp Pad Thai
Thursday: L/O
Friday: Yogurt waffles with bacon

I also have a veggie tray that I will snack off of or have some with dinners.

Okay, so sometimes I REALLY love HMart - with my cupboard absolutely bare of produce, they decided this week to have the world's cheapest produce, and cheap boneless skinless chicken breast ($1.79/lb) and frozen mussel meat out of the shell ($2.99/lb)...so I'm now rolling in good stuff for the week, even before my "regular food" trip tomorrow. I will also have a Saturday plan b/c the family decided to take dad out for lunch Friday, so that means I'm cooking both dinners of the weekend...here's the plan...

Sat - Honey Walnut Baked Chicken Breast (leftover Trader Joe's sauce from the boxed product we bought last week, which had way too much sauce and not enough meat - I'll "adjust" the sauce to desweeten it and add some acid:)), Mashed Potatoes, Strawberries and Blackberries
Sun - Baked Stuffed Shells, "East Meets West" Ratatouille (gonna use some of the Japanese eggplants and zucchini-like squashes with all my other fresh veg and garden basil), Homemade Strawberry Lemon Pie for dessert
Mon (only 4 of us) - Mussels Stewed in the Leftover Ratatouille over Orzo, Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pineapple
Tues - Honey Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin (pre-flavored), Egg Fried Rice, Roasted Broccoli
Wed - Choir Pizza Party - I'm making a Fruit soup or an Italian Macedonia for 12 (they told us specifically to not bring "too much", but to bring a fruit or veg)
Thurs - Crockpot Lamb, Spinach, and Lentils with Veg additions in my drawer (I have lots that I'll partly use all week, and this will let me put the rest in), Homemade Apple Pear Cinnamon Muffins
Fri - Frozen Night - Veg Spring Rolls with Fresh Fruit Smoothies and Tom Kha Soup (I got spring rolls today from HMart, so I'll fry these up, add the coconut milk to my jarred Tom Yum soup base from Hmart with some chives from my garden and scallions and any mushrooms I have left, and use any fruit I have around for the smoothie)
Sat - Leftovers (only 5 of us) - normally, we go out, but I don't want the kid missing to go without, so we'll go out Sunday, and we'll have the leftover lentils and anything else hanging around here:)...

Last edited:
I LOVE H-Mart. Going to Portland next weekend and would normally go there on the way home, but we're going to try a big Japanese grocery store there instead. I'm looking for a regional noodle that H-Mart didn't have and they recommended I try a Japanese rather than Korean oriented grocery store.

But anyhow, onto the plan:

Today: Senate navy bean soup
Sunday: Spiral sliced ham, mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli (we had prime rib for Easter, but I had to buy a ham when they went on sale)
Monday: Scalloped potatoes with ham, green salad
Tuesday: fish fillets meuniere, homemade french bread, asparagus (or other green veggie on sale)
Wednesday: Dinner out for work event
Thursday: French onion soup with cheese/bread on top, green salad
Friday: Dinner out--going up to Portland for a conference over the weekend

Saturday
Out - Old Dominion concert
Sunday
Cheeseburgers, fries
Monday
Pesto Sundried Tomato Pasta w/ Chicken
Tuesday
BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Wednesday
Spaghetti, Garlic Bread
Thursday
Tacos
Friday
Pizza, Buffalo Wings

Okay, so sometimes I REALLY love HMart - with my cupboard absolutely bare of produce, they decided this week to have the world's cheapest produce, and cheap boneless skinless chicken breast ($1.79/lb) and frozen mussel meat out of the shell ($2.99/lb)...so I'm now rolling in good stuff for the week, even before my "regular food" trip tomorrow. I will also have a Saturday plan b/c the family decided to take dad out for lunch Friday, so that means I'm cooking both dinners of the weekend...here's the plan...

Sat - Honey Walnut Baked Chicken Breast (leftover Trader Joe's sauce from the boxed product we bought last week, which had way too much sauce and not enough meat - I'll "adjust" the sauce to desweeten it and add some acid:)), Mashed Potatoes, Strawberries and Blackberries
Sun - Baked Stuffed Shells, "East Meets West" Ratatouille (gonna use some of the Japanese eggplants and zucchini-like squashes with all my other fresh veg and garden basil), Homemade Strawberry Lemon Pie for dessert
Mon (only 4 of us) - Mussels Stewed in the Leftover Ratatouille over Orzo, Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pineapple
Tues - Honey Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin (pre-flavored), Egg Fried Rice, Roasted Broccoli
Wed - Choir Pizza Party - I'm making a Fruit soup or an Italian Macedonia for 12 (they told us specifically to not bring "too much", but to bring a fruit or veg)
Thurs - Crockpot Lamb, Spinach, and Lentils with Veg additions in my drawer (I have lots that I'll partly use all week, and this will let me put the rest in), Homemade Apple Pear Cinnamon Muffins
Fri - Frozen Night - Veg Spring Rolls with Fresh Fruit Smoothies and Tom Kha Soup (I got spring rolls today from HMart, so I'll fry these up, add the coconut milk to my jarred Tom Yum soup base from Hmart with some chives from my garden and scallions and any mushrooms I have left, and use any fruit I have around for the smoothie)
Sat - Leftovers (only 5 of us) - normally, we go out, but I don't want the kid missing to go without, so we'll go out Sunday, and we'll have the leftover lentils and anything else hanging around here:)...

Changing up Monday and Tuesday - gonna use a Mama Luccia all-beef meatball bag for Monday (vs the mussels) - these were on a great sale at my local grocery, and this way, my older kids won't complain, b/c they love mussels...and then Tuesday, I got an amazing deal on Sirloin Steak today ($2.50'lb), so I'll make that then, and leave the pork in the freezer (or kick it to Thursday and move the lamb to next week:)...

Meal planning is become harder these days now that it is just DH, DD, and myself. DH works evenings so he is not home, DD never knows what she is hungry for, and I eat high protein, low carb/sugar. If nothing else my grocery budget is shrinking.

Saturday: Home made chicken strips
Sunday: Mexican style lentils, beans, and rice
Monday: Ratatouille, garlic rolls
Tuesday: Broccoli Cheese soup and Grilled Cheese for DD, I will just eat the soup
Wednesday: Frozen pizza for DD, Zucchini noodle with mushroom sauce for me
Thursday: Quesadilla for DD, Spicy Black bean burger for me
Friday: Free for all

Wednesday:
Pizza for the kiddos/ DH and I are attending an MBA alumni event with our alma mater (free food and drinks at a nice restaurant downtown Nashville, since it is a sponsored event. :tongue:)

Thursday:
Jamabalaya (carry over from last week)
French Bread

Friday:
Tuna Salad
Crackers
Baby Carrots

Saturday:
Grilled Salmon Filets
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cocount Oil
Roasted Asparagus

Sunday (Cinco de Mayo):
Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
Ranch Style Beans

Monday:
Fasolatha
Crusty Bread

Tuesday: (forgoing Taco Tuesday for Cinco de Mayo)
Asian Lettuce Wraps with Brown Rice

Haven't been posting here in a while cuz life's been hectic, but I've been doing well with not eating out. This week I cooked up a double batch of Mexi-flavored beef and did taco salad Sun. (to use up some leftover stuff) and will do soft tacos (with other leftover stuff) on Fri. Last night we had the last of the Easter ham with sides, tonight and Thu. night I'm working, so it's perfect for eating the rest of the leftover casseroles to clear out the fridge, and Wed. I'm off so I'm making grilled sandwiches with leftover beef roast, veggies, and cheese. Next week I should be able to start fresh. Since the weather's gotten nice we'll start grilling on Sun. to have meats for use the rest of the week- such a time saver for me and the guys loved the grilled meats! DS2 is out of school now and is just taking an online class this summer so he'll be home more to eat- better stock up!

Haven't been posting here in a while cuz life's been hectic, but I've been doing well with not eating out. This week I cooked up a double batch of Mexi-flavored beef and did taco salad Sun. (to use up some leftover stuff) and will do soft tacos (with other leftover stuff) on Fri. Last night we had the last of the Easter ham with sides, tonight and Thu. night I'm working, so it's perfect for eating the rest of the leftover casseroles to clear out the fridge, and Wed. I'm off so I'm making grilled sandwiches with leftover beef roast, veggies, and cheese. Next week I should be able to start fresh. Since the weather's gotten nice we'll start grilling on Sun. to have meats for use the rest of the week- such a time saver for me and the guys loved the grilled meats! DS2 is out of school now and is just taking an online class this summer so he'll be home more to eat- better stock up!

I love that about spring and summer - I have DH cook up a giant batch of grilled chicken and use it all week!
Okay, so sometimes I REALLY love HMart - with my cupboard absolutely bare of produce, they decided this week to have the world's cheapest produce, and cheap boneless skinless chicken breast ($1.79/lb) and frozen mussel meat out of the shell ($2.99/lb)...

Wow- I've never seen mussels out of the shell. That sounds amazing. No HMart in my neck of the woods, but we have a large independent asian grocery store that has amazing produce (and all kinds of other great products) that I hit up every few weeks.

I love that about spring and summer - I have DH cook up a giant batch of grilled chicken and use it all week!

Wow- I've never seen mussels out of the shell. That sounds amazing. No HMart in my neck of the woods, but we have a large independent asian grocery store that has amazing produce (and all kinds of other great products) that I hit up every few weeks.

Yeah, I don't like working with live mussels (too much effort, too little reward)...nor dealing with helping my kids eat them...nor do I love paying for the shells (which is usually half the weight:))...so I love the frozen plain mussels HMart sells and I love them more at 1/2 off, which is what this sale was (I can't stand the "sauced" "tv-dinner-like" mussels you find in places like Safeway, b/c the sauces are awful and you get so few mussels, when I have a kid who can put away 6-8oz out of the shell himself)...

Good morning everyone!! Love your menus!!! Awesome sales on your groceries and amazing meal plans!!!

Spent $6 last week out of $60. This leaves me with $54 for the next 3 weeks. Monday he had beef tips and gravy over mashed potatoes. Last night a friend took me to dinner for my birthday and he had hamburger helper. Tonight we are having turkey soup from the freezer (last container) his will have egg noodles mine will have think sliced cabbage. I am thawing the rest of the big pack of chicken legs. I plan on making a recipe from skinnytaste with rice and veggies and then cooking the rest of the chicken for use in a casserole of some sort for Friday. Saturday we are going to a mother's day dinner at church. I am not sure if they are having something low carb. If not I will make an omlette for myself when I get home. Sunday my granddaughter turns one. Not sure what I am going to make. Will post later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts