Eat at Home 3!

6 more days for the Daniel Fast...not that we are counting, LOL!!!

Wednesday:
Baked Fish
Herbed Brown Rice
Broccoli

Thursday:
Veggie Marinara Spaghetti

Friday:
Salsa Baked Potatoes

Saturday:
Grilled Chicken Tenders
Potatoes and Onions
California Mix

Sunday: (end of Daniel Fast)
Crockpot Venison and Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans

Monday:
Grilled Brats with Peppers and Onions
Tator Tots

Taco Tuesday:
Soft Beef Tacos
Fresh Pineapple

I'm back (with a new user name) to report that last week we stuck to the dinner plan EVERY DAY! :banana:

This week, we have:
1. Honey garlic chicken, rice, veggie. (Had this last night)
2. Creamy Italian crockpot chicken over pasta, salad
3. leftovers (Having this tonight, gotta clear out the fridge)
4. Crockpot spare ribs, salad, macaroni salad
5. Burrito casserole
6. Smoked sausage and cheesy rice
7. Frozen pizza

Breakfast this week is oatmeal and lunch is couscous with kale, roasted sweet potatoes, cranberries, feta, vinaigrette dressing

Saturday: Black Bean Veggie burger for mom, regular burger for the kid
Sunday: Mexican pizza
Monday: DD wanted cheese pizza (she could eat pizza everyday), I had a chicken wrap using leftover chicken
Tuesday: Stuffed peppers
Wednesday: Tacos
Thursday: Grilled cheese, soup for kid, Lentil chili for mom
Friday: leftovers

I know it's already halfway through the week but I thought I'd post our menu anyway...

Sun- I had to work till 6:00, so DH heated up frozen apps in the oven to eat while watching the Super Bowl
Mon-one-pot saucy beef rotini (I got the recipe out of a magazine and it's super quick, plus DH and DS2 separately requested I make it again, so it'll be going into rotation for "Help! I need something quick to make!"
Tue- fajita burger wraps (another recipe I got that turned out really cool)
Wed- crockpot BBQ pork loin with baked beans and rolls (I have to work later)
Thu- citrus honey chicken with corn and biscuits
Fri- balsamic seasoned steak with mashed potatoes

I know it's already halfway through the week but I thought I'd post our menu anyway...

Sun- I had to work till 6:00, so DH heated up frozen apps in the oven to eat while watching the Super Bowl
Mon-one-pot saucy beef rotini (I got the recipe out of a magazine and it's super quick, plus DH and DS2 separately requested I make it again, so it'll be going into rotation for "Help! I need something quick to make!"
Tue- fajita burger wraps (another recipe I got that turned out really cool)
Wed- crockpot BBQ pork loin with baked beans and rolls (I have to work later)
Thu- citrus honey chicken with corn and biscuits
Fri- balsamic seasoned steak with mashed potatoes

If you don't mind, would you be willing to share the recipe for the one-pot saucy beef rotini? That sounds right up my alley!

One-pot Saucy Beef Rotini

1 lb. ground beef
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I subbed broccoli but I bet zucchini would be good too)
1 chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 jar tomato basil pasta sauce (I used Prego brand)
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups uncooked rotini
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
*other seasoning to taste- I added some crushed red pepper and you could also add Italian seasoning mix

Cook first four ingredients 6-8 minutes until beef is no longer pink and drain. Add sauce, water, and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in rotini, return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve and sprinkle with cheese.

Side note- I already changed the plan for this week. Since I have to work later again tonight I made a Southwest chicken chowder that can be re-heated tonight for dinner. I'll save the citrus honey chicken for next week.

Hi all again! I have been in and out of these threads a couple of times. Well, now I have got to come to stay!! I need some inspiration from your menus and a little accountability to keep at it!

For about 15 years DH has driven over the road and only been home about 4-8 days a month. It was just me and dd at home most of that time (ds moved in and out a time or two), so we ate what we wanted--lots of quick to fix type foods (i.e. frozen or mixes) or eating out. Then dd started college and is now married. That left only me at home. So some nights I ate eggs and toast, some nights cereal, just whatever was quickest and easiest and wouldn't leave a pot full of leftovers! I went down to meet dd and sil a night or two a week for supper and grabbed fast food with my granddaughters a couple of nights a week. Not good for health or pocket book! DH was eating fast food every single night he wasn't home---that is WAY too much McD's!!!!!

Well, all that has changed. DH now has a job where he is home every single night! I love it! So nice to have someone to curl up and watch TV with again. And my dogs no longer look at me like I have lost my mind because I am sitting there having full blown conversations with them! LOL

But, it causes the problem of after 15 years, I now have to cook every night and actually plan a menu! Its taking some growing pains, let me tell you. Two nights a week, I take my granddaughters for gymnastics and art lessons. I don't get home until after dh will have eaten and possibly gone to bed so have to be creative those nights. The rest is pretty open.

So I am using a combination of things for those two nights--planned leftovers, crock pot meals, premade or frozen casseroles, or he cooks (which is very limiting as he only has two things that he actually cooks and neither of them does he do well)

This week's menu is/was:

Monday--Chicken Parm, salad, garlic bread
Tuesday--Lima/Corn BBQ (ground beef, canned lima beans, canned corn, tomato soup and spices--tastes a lot better than it sounds), cole slaw and cornbread
Wednesday--(normally gym night but class cancelled this week) baked chicken, roasted potatoes, creamed corn
Thursday--(art lessons) DH made cowboy beans (just baked beans with ground beef in them)
Friday--blackened catfish, homemade fries, cole slaw
Saturday--headed out of town to a rodeo so eating out somewhere
Sunday--Roast with pot and carrots, butter beans, roasted asparagus

Already planning next week and will post this weekend. Here is to staying on track!!

So, went shopping at HMart and Safeway today...and I learned a valuable lesson. Don't buy something sight unseen. If you spent $50 at HMart, you could get a box of nappa cabbage for $1. And I thought - 10lbs of cabbage for $1. Score, I'll take one. So, I asked for and paid for it at the register and then got my paid sticker to go grab the box...and I couldn't lift it off the top of the pile. The darn thing is at least 50lbs and stuffed to the brim. And it's right from the farm, dirt and all. So, I told my husband that I'm gonna use my idea of 10lbs...and then he can screw around with making some kimchi, which he's always been dying to do...and then I might give some to my neighbors. And by next Sunday, I will declare the rest as compost and let the earth re-swallow it for my garden:)...but now, I have way more cabbage in my plans:)...here's the plan...

Sun (birthday kid picked) - BBQ Pork Nachos with Cheese (except me), Sour Cream (except me), Lettuce, Homemade Guac, and Salsa, Fresh Bread with Olove Oil Dips, Sliced Watermelon
Mon - Crockpot Jalfrezi Cabbage and Veg (Carrots, Enoki Mushroom, Bell Peppers, Onions) served with Rotisserie Chicken, more Fresh Bread, and the rest of the Watermelon
Tues - Homemade Meatloaf, Homemade Coleslaw, Mashed Potatoes, Diced Mango
Wed (Lunch out for birthday, so light dinner) - Beef Tacos (with rest of all of Sunday's toppings), Clementines
Thurs - Spaghetti and Meatballs, Roasted Balsamic Cabbage
Fri - Leftovers or Homemade Pizza (with Onion, Mushroom, Peppers, and Pepperoni...and using the last of my Vegan Mozz for me)
Sat - OUT

Okay, so half my shopping is done (this week, it's Aldis and Safeway b/c I realized I was out of a ton of my staples, yet I still had plenty of veg and Aldi's had tons of my preferred fruits on sale:). So, I mostly stuck to the plan, except on Friday, I made a bacon and cabbage soup to have with leftover tacos, so I didn't make the pizza and that moves to Sunday. I also made a fennel, cabbage, and bacon salad vs the planned coleslaw, so that's also going Sunday...it's also gonna be chicken and shrimp week this week, b/c we've eaten a lot of pig and cow the last 2 weeks...here's the plan...(including Valentine's at home:))...

Sunday - Homemade Pizzas (with Onion, Mushroom, Peppers, and Pepperoni...and the last of my vegan Mozz for me), Homemade Coleslaw, Strawberries and Blueberries
Monday - Baked Honey Mustard Chicken Breast, Pepperidge Farm Stuffing with Celery/Onion/Cabbage, Stewed Cabbage with Onion and Apples
Tuesday - Chicken Fajita Bowls (with Onions, Bell Peppers, Zucchini, Cilantro), Rice, Clementines
Wednesday - Lemon Fake Butter Garlic Shrimp, Orzo with Garlic Olive Oil and Nutritional Yeast, More Strawberries and Blueberries, More Coleslaw
Thursday - Aldi Baked Chicken Breast Sandwiches, Roasted Dill Potatoes, Apple/Pear/Mincemeat Crisp
Friday (Valentine's Day) - FONDUE:). We'll do an Asian broth based fondue for some veg and thinly sliced fish/chicken/tofu (or we'll just do this concept in ramen bowls) and then we'll do my dairy-free chocolate fondue with fresh fruit (strawberries, pineapple, banana, and either clementines or apples) and my crispy rice treats and sugar cookies
Saturday - TAKEOUT - I'm not paying for Valentine's places, so we may pick up some pizza or simple fast food...or we may hold off and eat out Sunday:)...

Hey luvsjack- welcome back! I remember you from years past. Sounds like you and DH have a pretty nice set up now, plus still getting to spend time with the grandkids. This is similar to what my mom (who's semi-retired) does with my young niece. On those nights she also makes things that can be reheated ahead of time, re-works leftovers, and uses the crockpot, so when my step-dad comes home from work it's ready and then she can eater later too. I think it will be more motivating for you to cook every night when you have someone else to cook for and it will help you stay on track.

This week's plan (I asked for DH and DS's input so it's a little basic):

Sun-out to eat for my birthday
Mon- hot dogs
Tue- BBQ pork sandwiches (with the leftover crockpot BBq pork loin)
Wed- citrus-honey chicken with corn and biscuits
Thu- Frito pie
Fri- ham & cheese Stromboli (I'm going to make it heart shaped)

I did really good last week staying on plan. Sunday, pasta as planned. Monday, gumbo as planned. Tuesday, butternut squash soup (planned for Wednesday). Wednesday, Mexican dinner (planned for Tuesday, as you can see, we switched days). Thursday, I picked up a rotisserie chicken from the store ($6.99 special), and made a pasta side from the pantry with a salad. My youngest didn't go to the birthday party (it was cancelled), so instead of salmon, we had ravioli from the freezer and salad. Saturday, we made a burger from a Bob's Burger's cookbook with oven-baked fries.

This week: Sunday, white bean soup with greens and tasso (beans are soaking now). Monday, pasta with a spicy red clam sauce, salad. Tuesday, cream of broccoli soup, cheese and crackers, fruit. Wednesday, Meatballs with mashed potatoes, salad. Thursday, and Friday, pantry/freezer nights. We can pull pork or chicken from the freezer, make a soup, bake potatoes, do a snack night. I'll just play it by ear.

Last edited:
Had my first weigh in... I am DOWN 8 lbs in 1 month!!! So whatever I am doing is working.

This is a "splurge" week... everything still fits in my calories, but they are not the "healthiest". Just dealing with cravings.

Breakfast: Avocado toast, hardboiled eggs, and berry salad
Lunch: Assorted frozen meals from the store plus roasted broccoli and brussels (yep, doing this for one more week)
Dinner:
Saturday: Frozen Palak Paneer, mini naan, brown rice
Sunday/Monday: Cheeseburgers, salad, steak fries
Tuesday/Wednesday: Veggie curry with brown rice
Thursday/Friday: Hot dogs, salad, mac and cheese

Another successful week of menu planning! Being a part of this board is really helping with keeping us accountable.

This week, we have:
1. Eggplant parm, salad
2. Meatloaf, some kind of side from the fridge/pantry, salad (Having this tonight)
3. Sloppy joes, salad, fries
4. Ranch parm. chicken with some kind of side from the fridge/pantry
5. Breakfast for dinner
6. Out for Valentines day
7. Leftovers

We have guests coming in this weekend, so no big Valentine's plans for hubby and I.

Wednesday:
Spaghetti
Garlic Toast

Thursday:
Chicken One Dish Wonder
Yeast Rolls

Friday:
Taco Soup
Fritos Scoops

Saturday:
Dinner at the local Japanese hibachi with friends (including out of town guests)

Sunday:
Angel Chicken with Pasta
Garlic Toast

Monday:
Jambalaya
French Baguette

Taco Tuesday:
Fish Tacos
Ranch Beans

So, went shopping at HMart and Safeway today...and I learned a valuable lesson. Don't buy something sight unseen. If you spent $50 at HMart, you could get a box of nappa cabbage for $1. And I thought - 10lbs of cabbage for $1. Score, I'll take one. So, I asked for and paid for it at the register and then got my paid sticker to go grab the box...and I couldn't lift it off the top of the pile. The darn thing is at least 50lbs and stuffed to the brim. And it's right from the farm, dirt and all.

Catching up - and this struck me as hilarious! I mean, I love napa cabbage, but a huge box would be pretty darn daunting. Did he make the kimchi?

My week:

M- Faro with butternut squash, goat cheese, spinach, walnuts and balsamic dressing
Tu- Pierogis with ham and cabbage
W- Pasta and Meatballs w. zucccini
Th- Leftover pasta and meatballs (DH always cooks way too much pasta and meatballs, so I'm giving in and just accepting that we will have 2 meals worth)
F- Heart shaped quesedillas with pork chili (or maybe pulled pork on top of quesedillas - not sure yet)
Sa- Homemade Pizza
Su - DH's birthday - haven't gotten him to tell me if he wants to go out or what.

I did a little meal prep yesterday - roasted the butternut squash and cooked the pork roast I will use on Friday (will skim off the fat and freeze it tonight).

Catching up - and this struck me as hilarious! I mean, I love napa cabbage, but a huge box would be pretty darn daunting. Did he make the kimchi?

Not yet, but b/c I think it showed up from the farm the day I bought it, it's still perfectly fresh, so he's got a 3 day weekend coming to give him a chance:)...the box is in my car staying refrigerated b/c it's so big...

I think now I'm 15lbs in, and I still have more than 2/3rds of the box to go:)...it's going in my fajita bowls with zucchini, bell pepper, and onion tomorrow:)...

Saturday: BBQ chicken pizza
Sunday: Dinner at in-laws (Chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, green beans)
Monday: Beef Enchiladas, refried beans
Tuesday: Chicken & mushrooms in cream cheese sauce, brown rice, sauteed kale
Wednesday: Roasted veggies, chicken sausage
Thursday: cheeseburger pasta
Friday: Leftovers

Tonight: Chicken marinated in Italian dressing, mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli
Tomorrow: Grilled cheese and tomato soup
Thursday: I have a work event, BF is invited and coming, it's at BRIO
Friday: Spinach and artichoke dip for appetizer, then Grilling steak, insta pot Mac and cheese This recipe is AMAZING!!! , Caesar salad, Oreo cheesecake for dessert
Saturday: Leftovers
Sunday: Cheese enchiladas, rice and beans

Thanks for the welcome back!! 😁

So this week: (I think I mentioned a roast before but that got changed)

Sunday— hot dogs and fries (we had a relaxing day of movies and didn’t want to be bothered with actual cooking lol)

Monday— meatloaf, creamed peas and mashed potatoes

Tuesday— Chicken and ritz cracker casserole, Lima beans and salad (this was a new recipe for me. We agreed that it wasn’t bad but not something we will want again)

Wednesday—smothered pork chops, green beans with potatoes. (All in crockpots)

Thursday —leftovers

Friday—pork chops, rice and gravy, peas (dh’s favorite meal but not something I make often)

Saturday— granddaughters coming to stay the night and will help cook so—burger sliders, home fries

Sunday—heading out to a Mardi Gras parade so using the crockpot again—bbq ribs, potato salad, creamed corn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter