Eat at Home 3!

TwoMisfits- thanks for reminding me about Lent! Well I already have the meatless lasagna planned now I just have to come up with something else meatless. maybe I'll go grocery shopping on Friday after work again and just whip up some quesadillas with guacamole.

Agree totally! I am also a visual person...this is posted on our fridge also, and I like that visual reminder. In addition, it takes the stress and guess work out of what is for dinner.
I have a little whiteboard in the kitchen where I write up what is for dinner each night - helps a lot when DH looks at it and starts whatever we are having. I also note what leftovers there are in the fridge that I want people to eat and there is a spot for people to add things to the grocery list for the week (this is the hard part - I almost always get home from shopping and have someone say "oh, I meant to tell you we are out of x").

My freezer is getting overcrowded - need to NOT buy things that are a good deal and just use up what I have on hand.

This week:

Su -Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, asparagus
M- Grilled chicken, tzatziki, Naan, cucumber & tomato Salad
T- Mardi Gras = Pancake Day in our house, so pancakes and bacon for dinner
W - Scallops and arugala over pasta
Th - Taco salad
F- DH and I are going to the theater, so dinner out (if he gets out of work in time) or a sandwich in the car on the way
S - homemade pizza

Wednesday:
Tuna Noodle
Green Peas

Thursday:
Dinner out with Friends

Friday:
Manwich
Chips

Saturday:
Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
Egg Noodles
French Style Green Beans

Sunday:
Italian Beef
Baked Potatoes

Monday:
Pasta Carbonara
Broccoli
Garlic Toast

Taco Tuesday:
Taco Pizza

I have a little whiteboard in the kitchen where I write up what is for dinner each night - helps a lot when DH looks at it and starts whatever we are having. I also note what leftovers there are in the fridge that I want people to eat and there is a spot for people to add things to the grocery list for the week (this is the hard part - I almost always get home from shopping and have someone say "oh, I meant to tell you we are out of x").

We have a "command center" in our kitchen with a monthly calendar, place for notes for each other, and a weekly calendar that I use for menu posting. All of these are on erasable marker surfaces. They were a gift from my BFF, and we LOVE THEM!

Our saving grace for things that need to be added to the grocery order is "Alexa, add ___ to our shopping list." The kids have learned to do this, too. Not difficult since we put echo dots in their bedrooms, LOL!

Saturday: Ranch Chicken sandwhiches
Sunday: Hamburgers and fries
Monday: Pesto pizza with spinach and mushrooms
Tuesday: Enchilada meatballs and rice
Wednesday: Chipotle Chicken, rice, black beans
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: BBQ chicken, mac and cheese, baked potato

Sunday - Chicken cordon bleu ( Aldi frozen) green beens and rice
Monday - Brunswick Stew from the freezer
Tuesday - cleaned out the freg leftovers for everyone.
Wednesday - baked country fried steak, baked broccoli, mashed potato/cauliflower mix.
Thursday - baked chicken, baked greenbeans and baked sweet potatoes.
Friday - Brunswick stew again. It’s really good!
Saturday - cast iron Steak, potatoes, salad.

Tonight- Breakfast for dinner (likely egg and cheese sandwiches, fruit smoothies and bacon (for ds.. the rest of us are vegetarian)
Saturday- Vegan Winter Lentil Stew with homemade bread.
Sunday- Veggie meatball subs and salad ( regular meatballs for ds)
Monday- Pot pies, roast cauliflower, salad
Tuesday- Vegan bolognese over pasta for us, leftover meatballs and sauce for ds
Wednesday - pork fried rice for ds, egg and veggie fried rice for us
Thursday-leftovers or eggs and toast ... this is grocery night and we just eat something quick and head out. It saves us from doing nothing but errands on our weekends and I love it.

So, I didn't make the mac and cheese, but made homemade sesame ginger beef with tons of veg yesterday (over rice with a fruit smoothie) - it was amazing! My kids told me they liked it better than the local places...but sometimes, that's not hard b/c I know what veggies they like, and how much sauce they like, and what type of steak they like (this was flank-based), so it's almost not fair since I start out with an advantage. But, it's always sad to see a 13.5 inch pan filled to the brim gone by the end of dinner, with no leftovers, but that means they liked it! I also did not make the chicken tenders, but made cocktail meatballs on Thurs (spouse's request) while I made the rest of that day's dinner, so I'll move that to this week, too:)...

This week starts Lent and our volunteering for dinners at the Church, so meal planning will be a little different. I also have 2 meatless meals (thus, I didn't mind skipping mac on Friday b/c it will now be Wednesday:))...here's the plan...

Sunday - Garlic Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin, Roasted Broccoli, Strawberries, Fresh Bread
Monday - Spaghetti with Meat and Veg Sauce, Proscuitto-wrapped Canteloupe with Balsamic Glaze, Homemade Garlic Bread (maybe)
Tuesday - BLTO Burgers (Cheese for those who can have it), Baked Fries, More Strawberries (they were 99 cents/lb, so I got 4lbs)
Wednesday - Dairy and DF Mac and Cheese, Sliced Apples and Pears, Fresh Green Salad
Thursday - DF Tikka Masala Chicken with Veg over Rice, Fruit Smoothies
Friday - Lenten Dinner Volunteer - Bringing 2 dozen deviled eggs (GF/DF/SF) and either a fruit soup or fruit salad (gonna buy for this Friday morning)
Saturday - OUT

So, I've mentioned elsewhere we are in ant/grasshopper mode here, so while things are getting a little nutty, we're doing some preparing, while still living our normal life, albeit one planned to be closer to home (aka, we're not overnighting anywhere:))...and with that normalcy, I'm still planning the youth group night for 50 Saturday (and we did last Friday's lenten dinner where my mango/pineapple/lime/conconut fruit soup shooters and deviled eggs were wild successes...and I came home with none of my leftovers...but with some great harvest bread, so I'll be using that tonight). I skipped the Wed/Thurs meal - I made Thai Red Curry Shrimp Wed, so didn't do the Indian curry Thursday (instead, I did hot dogs b/c that leveled my work load between the days:))...so, today is the Tikka Masala, but with lamb:)...here's the plan...PS - Got amazing deals on Chinese eggplant and Taiwan spinach b/c people are people:)...

Sun - Crockpot DF Tikka Masala Lamb with Chinese Eggplant, Baby Radish, and Onion with Great Harvest Bread and Clementines/Green Grapes
Mon - Meatloaf, DF Mashed Potatoes, Taiwan Spinach Salad with Green Leaf Lettuce, Roasted Button Mushrooms, Carmelized Onion, Bacon Bits, and DF Croutons, (Green Grapes for the ones who skip salad)
Tues - Beef Taco Bowls with Sauteed Onions and Bell Peppers, Roasted Pineapple
Wed - Aldi's Chicken Breast Sandwiches with Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Baked Fries, Roasted Asparagus
Thurs - Ginger Garlic Pork Tenderloin, Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus, Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Fri - DF Pierogies with Carmelized Onions, Apple Sauce, Fruit Smoothies
Sat - Teen Dinner - Making Roasted Chicken with Raw Bruschetta, Roasted Carrots with Balsamic Drizzle, Macedonia, and DF/GF Rice Treats - very happy I planned mostly fresh, b/c grocery store runners seem to not want any fresh fruit/veg, so I think even if folks panic later this week, there will still be plenty of the fresh stuff to cook with...and I can shop very late, in case this somehow gets canceled last minute (which I don't expect, but who knows right now - better to have a plan, than not have a plan)...

We did really well eating at home last week and going through our perishable groceries and the freezer/pantry. Had pork chops on Sunday as planned (with leftovers for lunch). Monday-Thursday, used our base ingredients and freezer/pantry items to make turkey stroganoff, enchilada pie with more of the ground turkey, red beans and rice with tasso/andouille (from the pantry freezer on Tuesday...forgot it was Fat Tuesday, so we paid tribute to my home state), and soup with salad another night. Friday was birthday dinner out, last night we had soup DH bought on his Friday afternoon Costco run with bread and salad.

This week, we went to a new Lidl near us to check it out and will need to be creative to use everything (or make stuff ahead to freezer) as we went overboard on a few items, lol. Sunday, pork chop skewers with pineapple/red pepper/onion, rice, salad. Monday, we brought a HUGE ground beef at Lidl, so we'll make meatloaf and freeze extra we don't use or just make a big chili and freeze the leftovers (depending on the weather, because some nights just aren't chili nights). Tuesday, veggie soup with tortellini. Wednesday, Pasta with tomatoes and bacon. Thursday, chicken soup with leeks, potatoes, and carrots (or the same but thicker as a pot pie with biscuits on top). Will probably have enough to freeze some, so I'm thinking I'll cook the chicken in the instant pot during the week, freeze some with broth for a future meal and save enough to eat this week. Friday, something creative with whatever is left and what we have in the freezer/pantry. We are stocked up, so it won't be hard to find something quick to make.

Tonight we got takeout from Bonefish Grille because we didn't feel like cooking.

TOMORROW IS DISNEY DAY!!!:love:

Tomorrow dinner is at Homecoming :cloud9:

On the agenda for the week we have: Tiffins, Hoop de Doo Review (not my favorite but my nephews love it), Plaza restaurant, a breakfast at Garden Grille, Whispering Canyon, and the Pirates and Pals firework boat. (this will be a first).

Anyone else going to Disney? I would love a DisMeet!

Wednesday: (carryover from last week)
Tuna Noodle
Green Peas

Thursday:
Chili Dogs
French Fries

Friday:
Chinese Chicken Salad

Saturday:
We will be traveling to take kids to spend Spring Break with Grandparents out of state

Sunday:
Swedish Meatballs
Egg Noodles
Green Beans

Monday: (carryover from last week)
Pasta Carbanara
Broccoli

Taco Tuesday:
Crunchy Beef Tacos
Refried Beans

Friday: Frozen Pizza
Saturday: spicy chicken roll ups, roasted mini potatoes
Sunday: Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Monday: Cabbage and Sausage
Tuesday: Leftovers
Wednesday: Burgers
Thursday: Bean and Cheese burritos
Friday: Lasagna

Well, I had good intentions to go easy on the grocery budget this week, but I wound up going to my local asian market and stocking up on a bunch of stuff that I can only get there, and then I hit our regular grocery store, and then I stopped in at Aldi and it was a good produce week there - cheap and fresh, so the fridge is more packed than I had planned... All the proteins are from the freezer, though, so I am making progress on cleaning out my stash.

Su - Beef Farro Soup (meat/veg frozen from a batch a couple of weeks ago, plus more fresh veg and farro) and homemade bread
M- Stir Fry Beef and Asparagus with rice
Tu - Pierogis w. cabbage and ham
W - Shrimp Sandwiches w. coleslaw (Bought the bang bang shrimp at Costco - not a big fan, too much breading, but need to use it up)
Th- Program at DD's school, so having madreline soup and chicken salad sandwiches afterwards
F- Wagon Wheels (terrible for you comfort food - pasta, tomato soup, cooked ground beef mixed up - like spaghetti-os, but slightly higher quality) a big family favorite after a long week.

Going to post the next two weeks. The middle and end of last week just... failed. I ate in for the most part (did get taco bell after therapy on Friday), but planed meals? Nope. I ate a lot of chicken sandwiches (the frozen breaded chicken breasts from Aldi as awesome) and soup. Then I realized there is nothing wrong with just having sandwiches and soup for dinner. So I am working on really changing how I view a "meal" or "dinner". Because I just don't have the energy. If you have any super awesome sandwich ideas or even really simple meals (especially if prep can be done the weekend before), LET ME KNOW!

This week:
Breakfast: Avocado toast, hardboiled eggs, fruit
Lunch: Chicken salad sandwiches OR red curry noodles with chicken
Dinner:
Sunday - Tuesday: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts
Wednesday - Friday: Mushroom Stroganoff, roasted broccoli

Next Week:
Breakfast: Oatmeal
Lunch: Spaghetti with veggie sauce (add veggies to jarred sauce), chicken sausage, broccoli
Saturday - Sunday: Weekend trip to Cincinnati! Cinci Zoo, Newport Aquarium, and Jungle Jim's on the way home Monday.
Monday: Soup or a frozen meal as I have no idea when we will be back
Tuesday - Wednesday: Yellow veggie curry, rice, mini naan
Thursday - Friday: Chicken and greens soba noodle stir fry

Going to post the next two weeks. The middle and end of last week just... failed. I ate in for the most part (did get taco bell after therapy on Friday), but planed meals? Nope. I ate a lot of chicken sandwiches (the frozen breaded chicken breasts from Aldi as awesome) and soup. Then I realized there is nothing wrong with just having sandwiches and soup for dinner. So I am working on really changing how I view a "meal" or "dinner". Because I just don't have the energy. If you have any super awesome sandwich ideas or even really simple meals (especially if prep can be done the weekend before), LET ME KNOW!

This week:
Dinner:

Next Week:
Lunch: Spaghetti with veggie sauce (add veggies to jarred sauce), chicken sausage, broccoli
Saturday - Sunday: Weekend trip to Cincinnati! Cinci Zoo, Newport Aquarium, and Jungle Jim's on the way home Monday.

My family also eats the Aldi chicken breast filets as sandwiches - it's one of the only ones they'll do (but I do cook them longer than called for to crisp them:))...

Simple preppable sandwich ideas...
I do BLTAs all the time...cook a lb of bacon on the weekend, and it will last a few days in the fridge. If you have a rotisserie chicken or if you cook a simple turkey cutlet/breast, you can turn that into club sandwiches for a little variety. And, if you're Elvis, you can get some white bread, banana, and peanut butter, and grill up a tasty BBPB:)...

You can also do BBQ sandwiches...just cook a portion of pork shoulder overnight or for 8-10 hours on low (you can split it in a few pieces and freeze the rest for later) with salt...and then shred. It will last a few days in the fridge, and you can add bottled BBQ sauce, or taco seasoning, (or, if you do chicken the same way, which I've also done, hot wing sauce), for nice sandwiches. Serve with bagged coleslaw or carrot and celery sticks with blue cheese/ranch...

This week:
Dinner:

Next Week:
Nothing wrong with soup and sandwiches. Esp. if you can chop up a cucumber or some celery as your "side dish". Some favorites in my house when I'm looking to get dinner on quick:

Pulled pork - trim a pork roast (or tenderloin) in the crockpot with peppers, onions, bbq sauce and cook forever. Then shred, and bag it in meal sized portions in the freezer - easy to pull out and thaw (or microwave) and serve on rolls.

Chicken salad - I don't mind the canned chicken from Costco (I think Aldi version is ok too) and I add chopped almonds and dried cherries (Aldi!) and a little mayo. Good on wheat bread, white bread or rolls.

Turkey, Apple and Brie Sandwiches (esp. with Honeycup mustard, but any honey mustard will do). Slice the apple nice and thin, then stack with slices of brie and turkey (I get the cheap brie and trim off the rind for this one). Good on baguettes. Fancy sandwiches!

Easy Chicken Soup - saute onions, add Better than Boullion soup base and water, pasta (shells or whatever) and cook until pasta is just about done. Add chopped up cooked chicken. Just before serving, add baby spinach and juice of 1/2 lemon.

Chicken tikka masala (can get prepared from Costco or Trader Joes with chicken in it, or use the simmer sauce from aldi + chicken thighs or breast) in my fake instant pot (not a pressure cooker, more like a slow cooker) with either a can of chick peas, a bag of frozen regular peas or a head of cauliflower. Serve with Naan from Aldi.

Hi Ya'll! Can I join in? I'm always looking for inspiration for meals. I've been a meal planner for good portion of our marriage simply due to schedules. Now I'm back home and not working and partly trying to do my part saving money but making even better home meals.
It's just my husband and I and we don't always do the traditional meals. You all should know I can be a very lazy cook and my husband is happy with sandwich and soup or some cut up veggies/fruit. Here's the past week and the upcoming meals.

Mon: Fish tacos, coleslaw and mango fruit salad
Tues: Stuffed baked potatoes and fruit salad
Wed: homemade pizza and salad with berries, bleu cheese and bacon
Thur: Crockpot beef stew (was supposed to be a roast but the portion my husband brought in was too small so I cut it up small and the veggies up bigger) with beer bread
Fri: Out for date night and Little Big Town
Sat: Green chile enchiladas with black beans, avocado salad and chips
Sun: Smother pork chops one pot meal (rice, broccoli, mushrooms with smothered sauce on pork chops..sodium at its finest)
Mon: Pasta supreme baked with green beans and garlic naan
Tues: Green chili cheeseburgers and homemade fries with fruit
Wed: Perogies and salad
Thurs: Old people chili dogs (good turkey dogs, vegetarian can chili on wheat hot dog buns with just some cheese) and fruit
Fri: Baked panko breaded cod, mac n cheese and brussel sprouts.

Happy March!! I can't believe two months has already gone by. I was semi unconscious for month January and most Feb healing from surgery in January so I feel I'm just now getting into the new year.
Last week schedule went sideways to an extent. My husband wanted to go out last Monday and I forgot I had agreed to theater night with some girlfriends on Wed. Thursday was cold and snowy and my husband brought home a few of his fellow students for dinners so I made big pot gnocchi soup and antipasto salad and garlic naan.

Onto this week:
Sat: dinner out
Sun: ground turkey tacos, green chilies rice, and veggie refried beans
Mon: Green chilie cheeseburgers, roasted brussel sprouts, mac n cheese and fresh fruit
Tues: Roasted crockpot chicken (then finished up with some sauce in the oven), leftover mac n cheese with roasted spaghetti squash, and green beans.
Wed: Beef and broccoli and other veggies with cauliflower rice and TJ potstickers
Thur: Leftovers
Fri: Perogies and salad

I'm supposed to go out town next week and drive to AR (thought makes me tired already) and I need to prep some meals my husband can heat up while I'm away. He leaves early in the morning and won't get home until almost 7. I'm thinking making a quiche and grilling up some chicken. He also has hot dogs and sandwich stuff. I'll be eating out the hotel room or around at family and friends.

Have a great week and don't forget that clocks change this weekend!

This week:
Dinner:

Next Week:

You know the best part of being an adult is eating whatever you see fit as a meal. I have scrambled eggs and cheese for dinner with some fruit. If feeling "fancy" I add it to TJ croissant or on baked honey biscuits (from a can) or have the time I make a quiche to last a couple meals.

Other things I've done is grill up big batch chicken and use it various things like wraps, salads, rice bowls.
Do you have a crockpot? I have also cooked things over night and then put it in the fridge and heated up for dinner when I get home.
I also like homemade pizza with TJ flat breads (I cut mine up into small portions). They are already baked and I just put the toppings and warm it up and have some fruit if I want to be real adult like. Naan works great too.

Heck during my deployment days of my husband gone, honey nut cheerios and banana made a meal. It's good to be an adult. :-) You do what you'd like and not what others expect.

This is a fun thread----menu planning is my family's least favorite thing ever. ;)

This is our plan for the current week: (My one son won't eat some of these, so he eats leftovers or make a sandwich or something.)

Sunday: Shepherd's Pie
Monday: Vegetable soup with grilled cheese & tomato sandwiches
Tuesday: Stuffed grape leaves, olives, artichoke hearts, peppers, falafel, & pita, with hummus along with a couscous based tabbouleh.
Wednesday: Tacos
Thursday: Asparagus & Farfalle
Friday: Loaded Baked Potatoes
Saturday: Homemade Pizza

(And then we just tend to add garden salads or veggie and/or fruit plates, and/or steamed or roasted veggie(s) to each night's choice. We tend to make those choices at the last minute based on what we have and what we want. We always have a lot of produce and frozen vegetables around, so that's no issue. :) )

Cool news is that my son's speech therapy homework this week included him answering a question about what he likes to eat for dinner, so I had him answer that as many times as he would and have a partial plan for next week already that I know he'll actually eat. Not as cool news---he tends to want his favorite things often (because he's picky), so that means tacos, soup, & shepherd's pie are tentatively back on the list for next week, LOL!!

UGH. This week hasn't gone so well. I am still cooking but it doesn't seem like anything has been too successful.

Sunday--chicken pot pie (it was really good so that one was successful)

Monday--smothered chicken--for some reason was too greasy. I made my own gravy and can only guess that the flour didn't cook correctly in the oil or I didn't add enough flour

Tuesday--shepherd's pie made with left over mashed potatoes. I didn't rewarm the potatoes before plopping them on top and they sank! So it was good tasting but weird looking.

Wednesday--dh cooked for himself and had cowboy beans because I totally forgot to put anything in the crock pot and wasn't home until late

Thursday--New recipe in the crock pot today. Black eyed pea and Collard green stew. Hoping its good but there is a frozen entrée in the freezer if dh decides he doesn't like it.

Friday--Salisbury steaks and mashed potatoes

Saturday--ribs, boiled potatoes and slaw

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!