Eat at Home 3!

Saturday: DD had pizza rolls and I had leftovers
Sunday: Lentil Chili for me and DD had mac & cheese
Monday: Baked spaghetti squash with turkey, broccoli, and cheese
Tuesday: Leftovers as DD is going to friends house for dinner
Wednesday: Lime Cilantro Chicken thighs, Rice, Pinto beans
Thursday: Buffalo chicken that we did not eat last week
Friday: Pizza for DD to celebrate her getting her licenses (fingers crossed)

I hear you about things slipping through...had that happen for a product a few weeks ago and kicked myself - I didn't notice it had a milk product b/c it didn't have the glaring warning (but if I had focused closer on the ingredients, I'd have seen it)...thankfully, I hadn't eaten it, and my kids were happy to eat it without me, but I felt like an idiot b/c I always check...and I thought I had checked (now, if I'm buying something new, I try to have my spouse double check me, especially if I'm rushing through the trip)...

I'll have my plans after shopping Sunday...I have stayed on task this week, helped by my daughter making scratch "retro" bread recipes from the 1950's...they actually turned out even with the hand kneading...now, the 4 hours of using my kitchen won't work once we're back to activities next week, but it was nice while it lasted...

PS - And had to feel a little bad at our new year's mystery party when I couldn't try a friend's dessert...she had thought she'd made it dairy free, but she used nutella. She was so used to nut butters not having milk, she hadn't even thought to look at the nutella...I was glad I asked what was it it before I took it, and I tried to tell her not to worry about it b/c we had a 2nd person bring dessert, but I don't think my efforts fully made her feel better...
Have you and your daughter tried the baking soda quick bread recipes? I found them in my stepdad's old Betty Crocker Cook Book. I jazzed mine up with some dried rosemary and they were wicked good. I'm thinking of maybe using coconut and a bit of pineapple next time.

Our church is gearing up to begin our 21 day Daniel fast. It starts next Monday. This week I will be weaning myself from caffeine to get ready.

Wednesday:
French Toast
Link Sausage
Fruit

Thursday:
Loaded Potato Soup
Yeast Rolls

Friday:
Creamy Shrimp Pasta
Garlic Toast

Saturday:
One of our Christmas gifts to the kids was tickets to the new indoor water park at the Opryland Hotel on this day. We will have food from snack stand for lunch, and dine out in the hotel for dinner.

Sunday:
Beef Stew (made with venison)
Biscuits

Monday: (first day of Daniel fast)
Chickpea Curry
Brown Rice
Fresh Veggies with Hummus

Taco Tuessday:
Black Bean Burger Patties with Salsa and Guac
Mexican Brown Rice

Have you and your daughter tried the baking soda quick bread recipes? I found them in my stepdad's old Betty Crocker Cook Book. I jazzed mine up with some dried rosemary and they were wicked good. I'm thinking of maybe using coconut and a bit of pineapple next time.

Not yet, but I'm sure that will be on her list...we did the effectively dark chocolate cake last week with her new mixer...and it turned out, although we decided canola oil would be the better dairy-free sub b/c the cake was a touch "dense":)...

Finally getting around to posting on here rather than lurking! Trying to eat healthier and reduce my food waste. Just as an aside, we are vegetarians, so if you see any meats in quotations it's because it's a meatless version! :-)

Breakfasts for the week: (1) Broccoli, veggie sausage & cheddar crustless quiche, (2) Greek yogurt and blueberry protein Belvita biscuits

Lunches for the week: (1) Bagged salads with tempeh or "chicken", (2) Chickpea salads with carrots, crackers, and bell pepper

Extra snacks: Fresh fruit, string cheese, and cut veggies with hummus.

Dinners for the week-
Monday:
Orange "chicken" with veg and brown rice
Tuesday: Veggie tacos and sauteed veg on the side
Wednesday: Polenta with "sausage" marinara and roasted eggplant
Thursday: Bunless veggie burgers with salad and oven fries
Friday: Homemade pizza

I thought I would pop on and also join this group. We aren't saving for anything, but eat at home because I have health issues and it's just easier for me to eat at home than to eat out. We are a family of 4 (actually a family of 7 but 3 of the kids have flown the coop); my husband works from home and we homeschool, so there is ALWAYS someone home. I work outside of the house but only for a few hours at a time a few days a week. I am home about 80% of the time. Depending on my workweek, I do Walmart pick-up or shop at Target for my weekly shopping and I run to Trader Joe's for my food. I always shop my pantry and my freezer first.

I am diary-free and tree nut free. I was gluten free from Jan 2019 until Jan 2020. Last week my doctor told me I can slowly introduce gluten back into my diet. I don't eat any beef or pork (my family sometimes does).

Our menu this week:

Breakfast:

I don't eat breakfast usually... it messes with my meds. I drink coffee. My kids eat cereal or instant oatmeal or toast with peanut butter. They are 15 and almost 13.

Lunch is usually leftovers for my husband, a tuna sandwich for my daughter (or whatever she makes, she is super creative in the kitchen) and my son will make a small plate of nachos or PB&J. I am working at lunchtime so I skip that meal 99% of the time too. I drink a lot of H20.

Monday: Hawaiian Panani's, okra and tomatoes, white cheddar pasta and pineapple
Tuesday: Salsa Chicken Tacos
Wednesday: Thai Turkey Burgers with Broccoli Slaw
Thursday: Breakfast Hash
Friday: Chicken Cordon Bleu (I haven't figured out the sides but I have a freezer full of veggies and a pantry full of stuff)
Saturday: We are going to a 50th Birthday Party
Sunday: Butter Chicken Meatballs, Basmati Rice and Naan

Welcome to the new posters! We are always happy to have new faces around here.

I totally forgot to post this weekend, so here it is.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with toppings like berries, cherries, banana, pecans, almonds, and almond butter (obviously not all at the same time but having options means I can mix and match)
Lunch: I prepped chicken, a chopped vegetable tuna salad, kale, roasted broccoli, roasted carrots, pasta, and rice. This will make different meals all week. So I had tuna salad and kale with crackers Monday, today I mixed the tune with pasta for a pasta salad, and tomorrow is pasta with the veggies all mixed with hummus as the "sauce".
Snack: Yogurt
Dinner:
Sunday/Monday/Wednesday: Cheeseburgers with broccoli tots and a salad
Tuesday: Went out with my best friend to On the Border. I had the grilled queso chicken with cilantro lime rice and veggies. Stayed under my calories! So that is a win!
Thursday-Saturday: Veggie pizza with a salad.

I am seriously trying to cut back on meat (not cutting it out totally for reasons but trying to rely on it less). When I do eat it it will be mostly fish or chicken. I will focus more on this come February because I am trying to eat what is in my freezer which includes ground beef and steaks. Hopefully starting next month I will only eat red meat (which I do include pork in that btw) 2x a month or less. But sometimes a girl craves a cheeseburger or a steak so...

Been lurking here for a while. Saving every penny for Disney and hopefully posting here will help motivate us to stay on track with meal planning! (And our health!) :cheer2:

Sunday: Tuna Casserole With Side Salad
Monday: Chicken Strips With Fries, Green Beans, and Apples
Tuesday: Breakfast! Sausage/Bacon With Roasted Potatoes and Tomatoes and Eggs
Wednesday: Meal-In-One
Thursday: Orange Chicken with Rice, Broccoli, and Apples
Friday: This is a toss up, its either going to be Hot Dogs with chips, Mac&Cheese, and Carrots, OR Homemade Pizza and Side Salad.
Saturday: Korean BBQ Pork Chops with Rice, Broccoli, and Carrots

Super easy week. Work is about to get crazy because the one other person who does anything close to what I do has left. So it is just me doing the work of 2 people. This means easy meals when I get home because I will be tired and ready to just snuggle under the blankets.

Breakfast: Avocado toast, hard boiled eggs, fruit
Lunch: Loaded vegetable soup (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, corn, and beans)
Dinner:
Tonight: Tilapia with broccoli and cauliflower gratin
Sunday - Tuesday: Chicken tacos (ground chicken, bell pepper, onion, diced chili, and seasoning) with black beans
Wednesday - Friday: Baked chicken parmesan, spaghetti, and roasted asparagus

Skipping our meal out today b/c of weather and b/c we have a funeral next weekend to attend (so we'll need out of town meals there)...here's the list

SAT - Homemade pizzas, sliced pears and blackberries
SUN - Vegan pumpkin, sweet potato and black bean chili (need to make this for Church homeless shelter, so doubling it for us), chips and homemade guac, blueberries
MON - Chicken Fajitas with Peppers/Onions, Leftover chili on chips, Clementines
TUES - Honey Mustard Baked Chicken Tenders, Mashed Potatoes, Salad Bag, Diced Mango
WED - Leftovers with Fruit Smoothies (day before trip - we'll have TJ Honey Orange Chicken if no leftovers)
THURS - OUT (something on the road before the viewing - paid by me)
FRI - OUT (dinner paid by the funeral)
Sat - Hmart Asian meal by the kids (our hotel has a full kitchen, and an HMart in walking distance - my kids made me a meal last time we were there, so here's hoping they will again)...

Joining as well! I'm saving for vacation, but our eating at home more often is to cut down on waste and save money for a variety of reasons.

I've tried to plan meals weekly in the past, but my DH would throw the plan out the window because he thought it was 'silly' to plan (and he would go to the grocery store and buy a ton of something because it was on sale), which usually resulted in wasted food. Note: DH put himself through college, and came out with very little debt...but that was because he worked several jobs and put everything toward school (and was often hungry). His goal upon graduating was to make enough money to not have to live on a strict budget, especially when it came to food). He HATES throwing food away, but had a hard time not impulse buying. So I stopped planning for the week, tried to be flexible, and didn't have nearly as much waste.

However, a year-long experience helping an elderly relative who needed full time assistance taught DH the value of planning; menus and grocery lists were made on a spreadsheet with the relatives that pitched in, and it made day-to-day life simpler. Best of all, there was hardly any food waste. So he said "Remember when you tried to do this? Let's try that again." It's been almost a year, and he's fully on board.

One thing we learned was the need to still be flexible. So I plan ahead, but buy ingredients that can be used for a couple of recipes depending on events that happen during the week.

Last week's meals: Sunday, Beef stroganoff with salad. Monday, White bean soup with toasted baguette. Tuesday, Sheet pan chicken with broccolini and asparagus (changed from leftovers b/c son who goes to boy scouts had two tests the next day and stayed home to study, leftover soup was frozen). Wednesday, Burritos (turkey, rice, beans). Thursday, Linguine with garlic, tomatoes, spinach, and parmesan. Toasted baguette. The sheet pan chicken was planned for this night, so we used items we have on-hand for a quick meal. Friday, school event for the kids, so DH bought home a pasta dish from Costco to throw in the oven. Saturday, meatloaf, sweet potatoes, salad.

This week: Sunday, gumbo. Monday, meatballs (probably with pasta), salad. Making enough to freeze half. Tuesday, leftovers. Wednesday, Butternut squash soup, cheese and crackers. Thursday, sheet pan pork chops and vegetables (we'll see what looks good at the grocery store today). Friday, we will raid the pantry and freezer. Possibilities include pasta with peas and ham, lentil soup, black bean quesadillas.

Last edited:
Back to it!

Today--BF is working late, so I had fruit and veggie pasta
Tuesday: almond crusted chicken, mashed cauliflower, broccoli
Wednesday: cheese tortellini, homemade meatballs (freezing half), red sauce, the rest of the broccoli
Thursday: I'm working late-leftovers for me at work, BF will have leftovers at home
Friday: Appetizer night...pimento cheese spread, mini cheeseburgers, boneless chicken wings, spring rolls
Saturday: Slow cooker chicken caesar sandwiches, Alexa waffle fries
Sunday: Leftovers

I was supposed to make the breakfast hash last week but I came home from work that day feeling awful and told the family to find something in the fridge and they did! It's been moved to this week!

Today - White Chicken BBQ
Tuesday - Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Wednesday - Breakfast Hash
Thursday - Ginger Chicken Ramen (this is supposed to be made with ground pork, but I am going to make it with ground chicken and cross my fingers)
Friday - Cheese Steak Panini (this is a meal that I will make for my family and I will make a tuna sandwich for myself because I am not allowed to eat beef or pork)
Saturday - I am going to the movies with my girlie-friends... I'm not sure what my hubby and the kids will do. I think there is an Orange Chicken from Costco in the freezer. I was planning on making it next week... but.... *shrug*
Sunday - Thai coconut grilled chicken with coconut rice. Except, the chicken will be baked in the oven because it's like 12 degrees in Illinois.

It's been awhile since I have posted in here but I have been eating at home almost exclusively. I would always rather divert funds anywhere but fast food or impulse eating out. I'm also working on the grocery budget with better planning. When you are as busy as we are (as most families are these days) its so easy to fall victim to overpriced convenience food.
Anyway... I'm trying to stick to lists and menus and budgets.

Monday- Veggie /Chicken Pot pies, broccoli cheese rice
Tuesday -Vegan Lentil Stew , Homemade Bread
Wednesday-Cauliflower cheesy potato soup, leftover homemade bread (chicken for ds)
Thursday- Creamy white bean and spinach quesadillas (chicken and cheese and veg for ds) with leftover soup or stew
Friday- Homemade pizza
Saturday- Veggie / Regular burgers, roast potatoes and sweet potatoes, carrots
Sunday-Crockpot chili mac and salad or side veggies

Our Daniel Fast is in full swing. I am not sure how long I will be able to do the full fast, my stomach is already revolting against the mass amounts of legumes we have been eating. :crazy2:

Tonight:
Bunless Black Bean Burgers with Guac and Salsa
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Roasted Veggies

Wednesday:
Baked Fish (slight deviation from the strict Daniel Fast plan)
Herb Brown Rice Pilaf
Roasted Asparagus

Thursday:
Tikel Gomen
Sautee'd Green Beans

Friday:
Veggie Stir-Fry
Fruit Smoothies

Saturday:
Meatless Chili
Whole Grain Crackers
Coconut Banana "Ice-Cream"

Sunday:
Vegetable Biryani
Cole Slaw

Monday:
Veggie Wild Rice Soup
Whole Grain Crackers

Taco Tuesday:
Mexican Stuffed Baked Potatoes

I'm going to jump on here, too! I always love new recipe ideas!

So, we have some issues to point out first: DS (15) is egg and nut free due to allergies and DH is grain and sugar free (due to GI issues). I am pretty much grain and sugar free as well but am slightly lenient sometimes! DH also travels Mon-Thurs, sometimes Fri every single week so it's often just the kids and I.

I am a big Whole Foods shopper - I love their consistency with produce. Now with all the Amazon deals they are a lot more reasonable. Their 365 brand is awesome, too. I usually hit Trader Joes up once a month, Kroger twice a month, and then Target and Whole Foods every week.

Ok, now for my meal plan:

TUES: Trader Joes meatballs, spaghetti, and salad
WED: hot bar from Whole Foods
THURS: homemade mayo-free potato salad and sandwiches for the kids (I'll prob have some broccoli cheese soup)
FRI: Tacos with all the fixings and Spanish Rice for the kids
SAT: Grain free chicken cordon bleu recipe and steamed broccoli
SUN: DH bday, so going out
MON: homemade pizza and salad or fresh veggies

Breakfasts: I cook 365 brand sausage links every morning for DS (he has a migraine disorder and protein in the a.m. really helps), I cook organic Canadian bacon or eggs for DD. She also likes Vitatops muffin tops, Trader Joe's Belgian waffles, and coconut yogurt w/ berries and choc chips. On the weekend we cook bacon and homemade waffles. I pretty much eat the exact same breakfast everyday: Fage yogurt with berries and walnuts and usually a sausage link or bacon as well.

Lunches: I pack the kids school lunch every day. For hot items in the thermos I do Amy's frozen meals, Annie's pizza bites, or popcorn chicken, sometime leftovers. For cold items I do the Vermont meat sticks, individually wrapped cheese (Babybel or TJ cheddar), crackers, bread. They always get a salty side (popcorn, Kettle chips, pretzels) and a sweet side (varies). Fruit or veggies as well. They only take water to school. On the wknds it gets tricky cuz we are busy and the kids are always asking for subs or the like but I try to prep things to eat at home. Last weekend I cooked up smokies in grape jelly and chili that I usually do for holidays and the kids LOVED it! I made DH and I a mushroom soup.

I check out the store ads before I go and add digital coupons, go through my paper coupons (although not as many of those anymore), and figure out what I'm getting at each store. I wouldn't say it's super frugal but I catch sales and coupons where I can while still feeding my family pretty well.

did a wall mart pick up order so I have more of a idea whats for dinners
tonight breakfast by request
tomorrow im making pork two ways pork loin in the crock pot and will make veggies to go with and then im making ground pork egg roll bowls
Friday im allowing 5 guys for burgers

Last week was a little wild, several meals were replaced with soup or whatever could be warmed and gobbled up quickly so a few things are being moved down to this week.

Tonight I'm making some homemade pizza
Sunday: Dad's birthday so he gets to pick. Dessert and Coffee with extended family to follow.
Monday: Orange Chicken with Rice and Broccoli, might sneak in a fruit if we end up at the grocery store before then.
Tuesday: Meatballs in Gravy with Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Carrots
Wednesday: Ham Steaks with Eggs and Hash browns.
Thursday: Meal-In-One
Friday: Pay Day = Delivery Pizza (W/Coupons)
Saturday: Korean BBQ Pork Chops with Rice, Broccoli, and Carrots.

I also have the stuff to mix up a chicken salad that will either end up as lunch for a few days or an emergency dinner on a night I do not have the energy to cook. I just have to find the motivation to actually make it. 😬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!