Eating in Orlando with food allergies

jessie2

Mouseketeer
Just wondered if anyone had any experiences to share when dealing with this.

Our DD is allergic to peanuts and generally speaking we find it much easier eating out whilst on holiday in Florida than at home. Someone recommended Sizzlers to us on our fist trip in 1996 and we have found all 3 in Orlando extremely helpful and understanding. We also like Perkins and Dennys have been OK.

This year we would like to try Golden Coral - any comments please.

Disney counter service staff are generally very helpful and we do not have problems. We have PS at H & V for breakfast, and planned lunch at Crystal Palace (on my birthday). I have to ring the restaurant 3 days before to request 'no peanuts', have been assured there will be no problem.

Can anyone recommend any eating places in Sarasota, we are staying a the Helmsley Sandcastle also nice places and things to see.

Jessie :)

Hi Jessie :)
We stayed at the Half Moon Beach on Lido Key for four nights in '99 and as it had quite a good restaurant we ate there. I picked up a very informative booklet in the hotel foyer with lists of restaurants and their full addresses plus phone nos with a low down on the food, amongst other things. I'm sure your hotel will have this and lots of info too. It's called "See Sarasota".

We had a great day out visiting Siesta Key's beautiful public beach. Quite a pleasant drive and not too far.

We strolled around St Armands Circle which has lots of restaurants and interesting shops.

You can also visit the Ringling Museum Of Art and Ca d'Zan the Ringling's mansion with tropical gardens. I have to say that whilst we had every intention of going there, our sons were less than enthusiastic so, since we were feeling quite lazy after our usual HECTIC Orlando visit, we gave in.

You can also visit the Myakka River State Park and have an airboat tour or a guided tram tour, visit the Sarasota Jungle Gardens, Marie Selby Botanic Gardens ( seems to be a theme here!!) ,, the Mote Aquarium and there's also dolphin watch cruises, fishing and boat rentals etc. I have some details if you are interested in any of these.

Do check your hotel foyer for booklets and leaflets as there are money off vouchers for most of these.

....... sorry I cannot help with the main topic of your post, but if you need any reataurant tel nos from this booklet to call from in advance, I can mail them to you.

Thanks for the reply Shirley, the Sarasota area sounds very interesting, I suspect like you, with all good intentions, we will do very little. Siesta Key and St Armands Circle sound just right. I have requested the Sarasota info booklet twice but it has yet to arrive !

We really like Clearwater and St Pete's but thought it would be nice to have a change. Hope we have made the right decision.

Jessie

Hi Jessie2.
My DD is also allergic to peanuts, and I have to say that the help given to us by Virgin on our last trip was fantastic, they changed the inflight snack for us, provided nut free meals and made tannoy announcements to ask other passengers not to open any bags of peanuts they might have taken onto the plane.

We had no problems with restaurants, and found that most went out of their way to help us.

Phil

Hi Phil

It's good to hear someone else has good experiences dealing with PA, we have flown on a number of charter flights to Orlando and have had good and understanding service.

Do you tend to use the same restaraunts? I usually go in first and make the necessary enquiries, if I'm happy we stay, if not we move on to a regular. But generally speaking the service we get regarding this is excellent.

Jessie

Jessie.
We tried lots of different restaurants from The Hard Rock Cafe at City walk to Ponderosa`s on I drive, the help at all of them was first class. We also knew that if our DD did have a reaction we had her epipen to hand.

Phil.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter