Eclipse on Monday being allowed into the park with welder glasses?

kangamangus

Mouseketeer
Hello! We were one of the many families who purchased eclipse certified glasses on amazon that turned out to be fake. After many library runs, calling around and visiting stores, we found an old mechanic shop that has welder glasses with several glass sheets that are certified to view the eclipse. My husband has made viewing glasses out of some of them- see attached photo. We will bring the original welding goggles and the home made ones with us on our day at Epcot. Will security allow these through? I'm planning on being inside during a ride with the three younger ones. What else is everyone planning on doing for the eclipse to make sure their younger kids don't accidentally look at the sun without protection? 20799821_1705736826121698_5978454962109344773_n.jpg 20800300_1705736806121700_3882945927690460832_n.jpg

The way I've seen it posed, as long as you are not going out to view the eclipse there isn't much reason to have viewing glasses. Unless you plan to watch it. If you aren't, then just go about the day as usual. The sun is no different than ever. It's only a problem if you look at it.

Hello! We were one of the many families who purchased eclipse certified glasses on amazon that turned out to be fake. After many library runs, calling around and visiting stores, we found an old mechanic shop that has welder glasses with several glass sheets that are certified to view the eclipse. My husband has made viewing glasses out of some of them- see attached photo. We will bring the original welding goggles and the home made ones with us on our day at Epcot. Will security allow these through? I'm planning on being inside during a ride with the three younger ones. What else is everyone planning on doing for the eclipse to make sure their younger kids don't accidentally look at the sun without protection? View attachment 262787 View attachment 262788
Why bring those? It's like any other day. No one should ever look directly at the sun on any given day. If your child doesn't usually look at the sun you should be fine. If you want to view it just make a viewer using a box. Easier to carry and easy to dispose of.

6 kids and three of them want to view it. Wondering more if the glasses will pass thru security?

I'm not normally one to post to this forum, but I was just trying to find another thread.

I suppose one rule says no glass containers, although I think they'd be hard pressed to call that a container. The biggest problem is that it might be considered a possible weapon since it is glass and one looks like a loose piece that was taped into a makeshift set of goggles. However, it's not as they don't sell glass items at WDW that could theoretically be turned into a weapon, but you're thinking of bringing glass in rather than buying something. Now if you could somehow get them cut and fitted into a steampunk-style googles (see the picture) like you're going to Burning Man, then it might be seen as less "dangerous".

il_340x270.873307259_1kpy.jpg

Of course they're going to be seeing a lot of people bringing in eclipse glasses, so saying that they're for eclipse viewing might be enough to enter with them.

And I certainly don't get the suggestion to just not look or make a pinhole style viewer. This is a pretty big event and millions of people are going be viewing it with eclipse glasses and sometimes welders glass. I think it's pretty normal to want to look at it with the proper equipment.

I suppose right now the problem is trying to find disposable ones. Walmart stores supposedly had proper paper frame ones, but at this point they're probably sold out.

What percentage is WDW getting-I didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal down there.

According to the NASA website, at just west of Epcot:

The eclipse starts at 1:19:18 pm
The greatest eclipse will be at 2:51:10
It ends at 3:14:55

The sun will be a bit more than 84% obscured at the most covered.

Now moving around WDW, the times will change, but it should be only a few seconds here or there.

ETA: checking MK, everything happens 7 seconds sooner :P

For comparison, the nearest area that will total eclipse is South Carolina

Last edited:

The eclipse starts at 5:19:18 pm
The greatest eclipse will be at 6:51:10
It ends at 8:14:55

Now moving around WDW, the times will change, but it should be only a few seconds here or there.

Thanks-wow-84%-didn't realize it would be that much at The Mouse House.

The concern is that the sun will be considerably dimmed, but still dangerous enough to cause permanent damage.

Usually the sun is so bright that our eyes naturally avoid it. But when the sun is mostly blocked, people might look at it longer than they otherwise would.

I've never been in a solar eclipse before, but that's how the concern has been explained to me.

The eclipse starts at 5:19:18 pm
The greatest eclipse will be at 6:51:10
It ends at 8:14:55

ETA: checking MK, everything happens 7 seconds sooner :P

I think you need to adjust your times to Eastern Daylight Time. If someone goes looking at 5:20 EDT, they will have missed it.

I think you need to adjust your times to Eastern Daylight Time. If someone goes looking at 5:20 EDT, they will have missed it.

Yes! The times mentioned are UTC time. For Orlando local time, make sure to subtract 4 hours.

This is such a rare event, I think no one really knows how Disney will handle the glasses issue. I wonder if Disney has even considered it? Or maybe they'll be handing out "special edition" eclipse glasses there (which would be the smart move)? If it were me, I'd take the glasses but have a back-up plan, as in if your kids *really* want to see the eclipse, you exit the park gates, put on the glasses there and watch.

I'm not normally one to post to this forum, but I was just trying to find another thread.

I suppose one rule says no glass containers, although I think they'd be hard pressed to call that a container. The biggest problem is that it might be considered a possible weapon since it is glass and one looks like a loose piece that was taped into a makeshift set of goggles. However, it's not as they don't sell glass items at WDW that could theoretically be turned into a weapon, but you're thinking of bringing glass in rather than buying something. Now if you could somehow get them cut and fitted into a steampunk-style googles (see the picture) like you're going to Burning Man, then it might be seen as less "dangerous".

il_340x270.873307259_1kpy.jpg

Of course they're going to be seeing a lot of people bringing in eclipse glasses, so saying that they're for eclipse viewing might be enough to enter with them.

And I certainly don't get the suggestion to just not look or make a pinhole style viewer. This is a pretty big event and millions of people are going be viewing it with eclipse glasses and sometimes welders glass. I think it's pretty normal to want to look at it with the proper equipment.

I suppose right now the problem is trying to find disposable ones. Walmart stores supposedly had proper paper frame ones, but at this point they're probably sold out.
Pinhole viewers can be the proper equipment. NASA is making them at my local park with the kids on the day of the eclipse.

I was wondering the same thing... I too, will be in Epcot that day and was thinking maybe they would hand out some sort of glasses

I was thinking there's not that much to see, unless you are in the path of totality. Where we live, we will get 97% totality, but are traveling 3 hours away (the day before) and camping out to get 100% totality.

Also know that it tends to cloud up and rain in the afternoon in Orlando. Some schools are not allowing kids to go outside during the eclipse.
"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!

"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!
Fellow science teacher here. Our system made the same decision to keep kids in. It's a liability issue. The question you have to ask is, Could you really adequately supervise 30 small children at once and make sure no one uses the glasses incorrectly, even for a moment? The teacher is responsible for insuring that for every student at all times. If any child takes off their glasses. peeks around them, ect you could be sued. THIS is why school systems aren't taking kids out. They are liable if they do and kid gets eye damage, even if they gave proper safety instruction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter