Eclipse on Monday being allowed into the park with welder glasses?

I'll be first in line to say I was wrong but I'll be shocked if Disney gives out glasses to every guest in the parks that day. Shocked. Not with them being so far out of the total zone. If they were, I can see them making a huge deal out of it. At 80% or so, no.

If your kids are planning to watch, bring the glasses. We live in the zone of totality and are watching, our kids are school closed for the day so we can all go watch.

"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!
Fellow science teacher here. Our system made the same decision to keep kids in. It's a liability issue. The question you have to ask is, Could you really adequately supervise 30 small children at once and make sure no one uses the glasses incorrectly, even for a moment? The teacher is responsible for insuring that for every student at all times. If any child takes off their glasses. peeks around them, ect you could be sued. THIS is why school systems aren't taking kids out. They are liable if they do and kid gets eye damage, even if they gave proper safety instruction.
I just got a message a couple days ago from our district saying they are embracing it as a learning opportunity. They bought glasses for all students and staff and will be going out to watch. Opt-outs are available. I'm surprised but glad they are doing it.

"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!
Exactly.

Okay, up to a point. We are keeping our 2 year old friend inside. She won't listen to correct viewing procedures or follow them if she did.

But as long as they are old enough to understand what to do, and will do it, I couldn't understand making them miss it.

I'm sure Disney will be happy to sell you glasses.... And of course there's the Buzz and Stitch dessert party with exclusive, VIP viewing area and collector glasses. :-)

I'm so puzzled as to people keeping children inside (I even saw something about keeping pets inside). The sun is out literally every single day. On any clear day of his life, my son (or dog!) can stare up at the sun. What I'm most worried about is him staring at chemtrails! :stir:

Of course, I won't be able to enjoy it, having gone blind myself staring at the Eclipse of '91.

Fellow science teacher here. Our system made the same decision to keep kids in. It's a liability issue. The question you have to ask is, Could you really adequately supervise 30 small children at once and make sure no one uses the glasses incorrectly, even for a moment? The teacher is responsible for insuring that for every student at all times. If any child takes off their glasses. peeks around them, ect you could be sued. THIS is why school systems aren't taking kids out. They are liable if they do and kid gets eye damage, even if they gave proper safety instruction.
It's the same as any other day. Can you insure that children won't stare at the sun during recess on any given day? Same damage can occur.

Except that there is no reason to look at it on any other day.
I agree. I understand why the schools are not wanting to deal with the kids and the eclipse. Kids will want to look.
What I don't understand is why they aren't just cancelling class. At least those in the totality areas. How often will that happen in their lifetimes? At least where they live? It's a moment the kids should be able to experience. I'm glad our schools decided to close. Even if it was not so the kids could experience it and because our dismissal time is at the time of the eclipse and they couldn't do that and have the kids safe. Still, end result is we get to take them to go see it.
But I do know for some, no school is a bigger pain so for those I'm sure they are glad school isn't cancelled. It always works both ways.

I agree. I understand why the schools are not wanting to deal with the kids and the eclipse. Kids will want to look.
What I don't understand is why they aren't just cancelling class. At least those in the totality areas. How often will that happen in their lifetimes? At least where they live? It's a moment the kids should be able to experience. I'm glad our schools decided to close. Even if it was not so the kids could experience it and because our dismissal time is at the time of the eclipse and they couldn't do that and have the kids safe. Still, end result is we get to take them to go see it.
But I do know for some, no school is a bigger pain so for those I'm sure they are glad school isn't cancelled. It always works both ways.

This is one of those times you wish the school board would listen. For me, any school that is even close to totality in the eastern part of the U.S. has the potential for a traffic nightmare when it comes time to dismiss. We are about 3 hrs from totality, and we booked our hotel in the zone about 4 months ago. Even then, hotels were full.

Thanks-wow-84%-didn't realize it would be that much at The Mouse House.

84% isn't that much when it comes to an eclipse. I know it's cliche to hear it now, but there is even a huge difference between 99.8% and 100% when dealing with an eclipse.

Just google "Eclipse 2017 Close is not close enough" to read a veteran eclipse-hunter's take on the percentages.

84% isn't that much when it comes to an eclipse. I know it's cliche to hear it now, but there is even a huge difference between 99.8% and 100% when dealing with an eclipse.

Just google "Eclipse 2017 Close is not close enough" to read a veteran eclipse-hunter's take on the percentages.
Yep. That's why we are moving from 99.99% at our house to 100%. Well, that and even if we were 7 miles up the road where it's 100% we couldn't see it from out house. We are in the woods. We have to move more than 7 miles to get out of the woods anyway.

We're not in the path of totality, we're in the Atlanta area and most of the counties have cancelled school that day. Ours hasn't, but it's an excused absence for any child that's out that day - they're also providing glasses and using it as a learning opportunity and having late dismissal so they can all watch.

I'm taking a half day off and we're driving up North about an hour to watch from there. Hopefully. If we can make it in time with the traffic.

It's the same as any other day. Can you insure that children won't stare at the sun during recess on any given day? Same damage can occur.
Yes, but the school isn't liable for that. They are if they take them outside with the purpose of looking and kids do it incorrectly and are hurt.

Pinhole viewers can be the proper equipment. NASA is making them at my local park with the kids on the day of the eclipse.

I do get the concept of making a pinhole viewer. What I didn't quite get was your suggestion to just ditch a safe option to view the sun directly and use a pinhole viewer. I've got a set of eclipse glasses (made by Rainbow Symphony) bought at a local science museum where I'm a member.

NASA is recommending certain performance standards for direct viewing. I've done this before (might have been 15 years ago). The ones I got a few weeks ago I tried by directly looking into the sun. I basically can't see anything unless I'm looking straight at the sun or a perhaps an intense light source. And what I see is extremely faint, like a dark orange circle. Heck - it's probably less damaging to my eyes than looking at my current computer screen. They're only safe because they're only letting in about a 0.002% of the light.

I do get the concept of making a pinhole viewer. What I didn't quite get was your suggestion to just ditch a safe option to view the sun directly and use a pinhole viewer. I've got a set of eclipse glasses (made by Rainbow Symphony) bought at a local science museum where I'm a member.

NASA is recommending certain performance standards for direct viewing. I've done this before (might have been 15 years ago). The ones I got a few weeks ago I tried by directly looking into the sun. I basically can't see anything unless I'm looking straight at the sun or a perhaps an intense light source. And what I see is extremely faint, like a dark orange circle. Heck - it's probably less damaging to my eyes than looking at my current computer screen. They're only safe because they're only letting in about a 0.002% of the light.
I suggested the pinhole viewer, a safe method for viewing, as OP was asking if those makeshift glasses would be allowed in. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But they will allow cardboard pinhole viewers in as they don't violate any Disney rules. The glasses could be iffy.

Yes! I agree with this. My house is at 92% but my parents are at 99% and we are meeting them there and driving to the 100% zone bc it will make that much of a difference from everything I have researched. Hugely awesome and rare event to see and worth the extra drive. Hoping for great weather and no cloud cover!

This is one of those times you wish the school board would listen. For me, any school that is even close to totality in the eastern part of the U.S. has the potential for a traffic nightmare when it comes time to dismiss. We are about 3 hrs from totality, and we booked our hotel in the zone about 4 months ago. Even then, hotels were full.

Like @AngiTN (Hi, fellow Tennessian) the schools around Nashville are closed for traffic/general disruption issues. I think it's smart.

I just got a message a couple days ago from our district saying they are embracing it as a learning opportunity. They bought glasses for all students and staff and will be going out to watch. Opt-outs are available. I'm surprised but glad they are doing it.

Hope they got the real glasses and not the fake ones!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!