Eclipse on Monday being allowed into the park with welder glasses?

Hope they got the real glasses and not the fake ones!
I complain a lot about various administrative frustrations I have with our district, but I trust them to not take risks with my child's eyes.

Can you imagine what a colossal blunder that would be? :faint:

I agree. I understand why the schools are not wanting to deal with the kids and the eclipse. Kids will want to look.
What I don't understand is why they aren't just cancelling class. At least those in the totality areas. How often will that happen in their lifetimes? At least where they live? It's a moment the kids should be able to experience. I'm glad our schools decided to close. Even if it was not so the kids could experience it and because our dismissal time is at the time of the eclipse and they couldn't do that and have the kids safe. Still, end result is we get to take them to go see it.
But I do know for some, no school is a bigger pain so for those I'm sure they are glad school isn't cancelled. It always works both ways.

They have closed all the schools here, we will be at 97.7% eclipsed and the schools deemed it safer (or less liability for them) to close. My DS (6) and his Uncle Jim will research, talk, learn then watch at last a bit of it.

I wonder if Disney will get dark enough for the photoelectric park lights to come on. That would be kinda cool.

Our district science coordinator got an email from Amazon yesterday. They had bought several, some real and some fake. Luckily, my 100 pair for Astronomy & Physics classes were real. The 500 pairs bought for the 5th graders are not. But I'll have those kids as Juniors when our town is in the totality for the April 8, 2024 eclipse.

I remember making the pinhole viewers in elementary school so we could see the 1979 eclipse. Our kids aren't in school yet (go back on the 23rd). We're using cereal boxes to make viewers for them. I'd like to think our school would have made it a fun teaching moment, but I suspect not.

This is such a rare event, I think no one really knows how Disney will handle the glasses issue. I wonder if Disney has even considered it? Or maybe they'll be handing out "special edition" eclipse glasses there (which would be the smart move)? If it were me, I'd take the glasses but have a back-up plan, as in if your kids *really* want to see the eclipse, you exit the park gates, put on the glasses there and watch.

I read they will not be providing glasses due to liability issues.

This is what I found for how Disney is handling the eclipse:
  • Tom Sawyer Island at the MK will close at 2 pm and will stay closed for the entire day on Monday.
  • Animal Trails at AK will close briefly prior to it getting dark and will reopen once the darkness period is over.
  • Blizzard Beach will close as needed at the onset of darkness. Entertainment will be available at the beach area of the park and additional lighting will be added. Also, buses will be running directly to Typhoon Lagoon from 1:30 to 2:45 pm.
  • Typhoon Lagoon already has nighttime lighting installed and will be utilizing during the darkness period. There should be no impact to guests of the park.
  • Sammy Duvall’s Watersports Centre will be closed from 12 to 5 pm on Monday since Disney is shutting down all lake activities.
  • Ferry Transportation sounds like it will be also stopped between 12 and 5 pm per Sammy Duvall’s announcement. No official word on this has been announced by Disney as of now.
If you plan on being at Disney World and want to view the eclipse, make sure to bring your own glasses! Disney will not be providing any for their guests due to liability reasons.

Where can Guests view the eclipse if they don't have the appropriate glasses? Guests staying in a Disney resort can check their in-room television to watch news coverage of the eclipse or view it online using personal mobile devices.

"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!

Depends on the ages. I love our daycare teacher and she is amazing, but trying to make sure a bunch of 2-4 year old kids keep their glasses on while looking at it so they don't permanently damage their eyes? Nope. I definitely prefer her keeping them indoors.

This is what I found for how Disney is handling the eclipse:
  • Tom Sawyer Island at the MK will close at 2 pm and will stay closed for the entire day on Monday.
  • Animal Trails at AK will close briefly prior to it getting dark and will reopen once the darkness period is over.
  • Blizzard Beach will close as needed at the onset of darkness. Entertainment will be available at the beach area of the park and additional lighting will be added. Also, buses will be running directly to Typhoon Lagoon from 1:30 to 2:45 pm.
  • Typhoon Lagoon already has nighttime lighting installed and will be utilizing during the darkness period. There should be no impact to guests of the park.
  • Sammy Duvall’s Watersports Centre will be closed from 12 to 5 pm on Monday since Disney is shutting down all lake activities.
  • Ferry Transportation sounds like it will be also stopped between 12 and 5 pm per Sammy Duvall’s announcement. No official word on this has been announced by Disney as of now.
If you plan on being at Disney World and want to view the eclipse, make sure to bring your own glasses! Disney will not be providing any for their guests due to liability reasons.

Where can Guests view the eclipse if they don't have the appropriate glasses? Guests staying in a Disney resort can check their in-room television to watch news coverage of the eclipse or view it online using personal mobile devices.

Sounds like Disney is prepping for a full zombie apoceclipse.

Our school is not closed but they decided that we can only have the fourth grade and above view the eclipse with glasses and permission slips. Third grade and below will be stuck inside. We can even go out for recess that morning. We arent even supposed to let the kids go to the bathroom form 9:45-10:45. Yep, I am totally sure that is going to work at perfectly :sad2:.

My son is a high school student so I asked him what his school was doing. His reply...telling them not to look sun. No teaching opportunity or safety measures and no extra day off. Kind of blah.

I don't understand what the decisions these schools are making
I get why they don't want to be responsible for their students keeping the glasses on.
I don't get why they aren't giving the kids an opportunity to see this.
Ideally, they'd all close and let the kids view but I realize that for some parents this is a huge burden so the best would be if they'd just all allow any kids who do want to be out to see it to do so.

As for the glasses, my opinion, there is a much ado being made about them.
Looking at the eclipse without any eye protection is foolish, there is no doubt about that. Or with just sunglasses. It's the sun. You shouldn't do that any day, eclipse or no eclipse.
Will people be harmed by looking with these glasses that are unverified? I have my doubts. And no, I'm no expert of course.
I know millions used much less protection to view past eclipses and were ok. Even the supposed glasses Amazon couldn't verify are way better than anything we used in the past.
I actually have 2 sets of glasses. One set that I bought from Amazon that I was refunded for from them and another from Nova that our local PBS station sent out to all the members of their Kids Club. There's no difference in them. Other than the Nova emblem.

I've never been in a solar eclipse before, but that's how the concern has been explained to me.

It's really not that intriguing. Do we look up when a cloud goes overhead?

"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!

Agreed.

And that's the danger of the glasses, because it makes us thinkinthat looking at the sun is the only way to see it.

Pinhole viewer worked for me in 4th grade. No need to look at the sun at all. Did it, passed the viewer alone, and kept on roller skating like a normal recess. Yes it was an interesting school.

Fellow science teacher here. Our system made the same decision to keep kids in. It's a liability issue. The question you have to ask is, Could you really adequately supervise 30 small children at once and make sure no one uses the glasses incorrectly, even for a moment? The teacher is responsible for insuring that for every student at all times. If any child takes off their glasses. peeks around them, ect you could be sued. THIS is why school systems aren't taking kids out. They are liable if they do and kid gets eye damage, even if they gave proper safety instruction.

Do those kids go outside ever? Yes? Then let them out. Unless you're sitting there telling them to look at the sun they are going to do what they normally do. Which isn't likely to be "look at the sun".

Make pinhole viewers and show them how to use them. 5 seconds later they'll be back to playing.

Exactly.

Okay, up to a point. We are keeping our 2 year old friend inside. She won't listen to correct viewing procedures or follow them if she did.

But as long as they are old enough to understand what to do, and will do it, I couldn't understand making them miss it.

I doubt the 2 year old looks at the sun much anyway. My kid was seriously whiney if he felt it was too sunny.

But otherwise, yeah, the 2 year old won't care anyway so there's no need for a special excursion, but imo if you're out you're out. She's likely not looking at it anyway.

Someone attempting humor with a Spinal Tap reference.

Someone achieving humor.

Um, someone NAILING humor with a Spinal Tap reference I'm sure is what you meant.

Exactky.

As for the glasses, my opinion, there is a much ado being made about them.

Agreed. Pinhole viewers are fine and don't teach bad habits like looking into the sun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter