ECV and a stroller

NightAngelX

Would rather be at WDW
Hello!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Disney next April for our 10 year anniversairy and our daughter's first birthday. We've been 2 Disney twice before and he needs an ECV to get around at Disney due to severe psoriatic arthritis. He doesn't like it but he can't even mow the lawn at home without hurting for days after so I insist on an ECV when we go to Disney. He does not use an ECV at home.

This will be our first trip with a child and he is concerned I won't be able to handle the stroller and baby getting on and off buses when he is doing his ECV. I don't think it will be an issue. I know he hates taking his ECV on buses in general because of the looks/comments he gets and for 'holding everyone up' (I tell him to ignore them but it still bothers him). Having a stroller too adds to the 'inconvenience'.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with two parents, an ECV and a stroller on buses and in general getting around Disney World. Any tips or tricks?

We are debating on splurging and staying at the Poly this time so we only have to use buses on two days and we can use the monorail the rest of the time (which seems more ECV friendly from what little we've rode it, we've never stayed at a monorail resort) and we can catch a bus at the TTC to DHS and AK which seem less busy as well.

Thanks in advance!

There are not park buses to DHS or AK at TTC any longer. They moved those to MK in the past few years.

As for the EVC and stroller during a trip, there were seven total so we tended to divide up. Since we stayed at AKL, we used buses when we did not drive to a park. The one piece of advice I have, is that you will have to ignore the individuals that are "inconvenienced". We usually were at the bus stop before most, usually all, people and it was the ones that strolled up right as the bus showed up that seemed the most put out.

I will say is that if the driver has to manuever your husband into his spot, make sure his scooter is back in drive and not neutral. One helped my sister and she started sliding a bit. Luckily, my cousin stood at the front with the double stroller and braced it from that end and a nice gentleman near the back put his foot on her back tire to try and keep her from moving. I usually squeezed in behind her, but I had to hold my niece since it was one of the rare times we were on the same bus.

Not sure what kind of stroller you will have, but it might be good if your husband could hold it once he was strapped in on the EVC. I will say that for the most part, we had some great bus drivers on our June trip. One great bus driver even manuevered the EVC by using the controls and had my sister in place and buckled in in less than a minute.

Hello!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Disney next April for our 10 year anniversairy and our daughter's first birthday. We've been 2 Disney twice before and he needs an ECV to get around at Disney due to severe psoriatic arthritis. He doesn't like it but he can't even mow the lawn at home without hurting for days after so I insist on an ECV when we go to Disney. He does not use an ECV at home.

This will be our first trip with a child and he is concerned I won't be able to handle the stroller and baby getting on and off buses when he is doing his ECV. I don't think it will be an issue. I know he hates taking his ECV on buses in general because of the looks/comments he gets and for 'holding everyone up' (I tell him to ignore them but it still bothers him). Having a stroller too adds to the 'inconvenience'.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with two parents, an ECV and a stroller on buses and in general getting around Disney World. Any tips or tricks?

We are debating on splurging and staying at the Poly this time so we only have to use buses on two days and we can use the monorail the rest of the time (which seems more ECV friendly from what little we've rode it, we've never stayed at a monorail resort) and we can catch a bus at the TTC to DHS and AK which seem less busy as well.

Thanks in advance!
with him on ECV be prepared to have to get both the folded stroller and your daughter on the bus as stroller are not allowed on buses unless folded. only advice I can give you is to baby wear daughter while riding so you can better handle stroller. have never seen stroller allowed to be wheeled on the ramp even with ECV. and as some else said no longer buses at TTC unless monorail down to MK or EPCOT

Each bus driver may react differently to your situation, so be prepared for that. I recommend letting the driver know that you all are together as a family, and they will instruct you from there. Some may ask you to board after your hubby's scooter is loaded, some may ask you to board with everyone else through the front door.

I have never personally traveled with a stroller and my personal ECV, but on our last trip, we saw one family similar to yours, where the mother was on an ECV and the dad was pushing a stroller, with a 5 to 7 year old child who was walking with the dad.

That particular driver had the entire family load at the same time; the dad folded the stroller while the mom was "parking" the ECV on the bus, and then the driver motioned the dad (carrying the baby and the stroller) and their son to come on board. Since I figure you are curious: they were using an umbrella stroller. The Mom had the diaper bag on board the scooter with her.

Tell your hubby this for me: Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you at WDW - your chances of running into anyone you see on your vacation at WDW again? You have a better chance to hit the Lotto jackpot AND get struck by lightning on the same day.

And if you do? So what. You have a legitimate need for a mobility device - and you are very smart to use every tool at your disposal to have the best possible trip. Anyone who judges you does so from a place of ignorance and fear. Ignore them. Seriously.

At the bus stops, don't get caught in the whole "everyone is looking at me" trap. They are looking AT THE BUS because the damn bus beeps, flips out a big 'ol ramp and carries on like it's the end of the world. YOU just happen to be there, in their line of sight. And let's face it - for the majority of people who never have had to deal with mobility issues, it can be interesting to watch, simply from a "Oh, that's how they get on the bus" perspective.

If - and this is a big IF, because no one probably will - anyone says anything like "must be nice to get on the bus FIRST", then you simply give them a big smile, and say in your sweetest voice "Yes, but remember that we are always the last ones OFF of the bus when we get there!" and then turn away - you don't need to engage further. Trust me, it typically shuts them up.

Have a lovely, wonderful trip. And don't worry - nowadays, all the other Guests are all too busy posting their food to Instagram, and taking selfies to notice much anyway! ;)

Edited to add:

Please don't succumb to the temptation to carry the baby on the ECV, and leave the stroller at home. Too many of us here on these forums have seen folks in ECV-related accidents at WDW; it's horrible enough to see what happens when an adult and an ECV wind up on the ground, tangled up... Keep your precious baby safe[r] in the stroller.

And one last tip: MK is the hardest for new ECV drivers - watch for curb cuts on the Main Street sidewalks - don't go off the curb! AND cross trolley tracks at (ideally) a 90 to 45 degree angle; you don't want the wheels of the ECV to get caught in the tracks, and potentially flip over the scooter.

Last edited:
Thank you all! DH has driven an ECV on our last two trips with no issues. We are just worried about the addition of the little one and a stroller. His family is joining us for the second half of the trip, so hopefully that will be helpful. Buses have just always been the least favorite part of our trips.

Thanks for the info on the TTC. I thought I had read that somewhere, but I couldn't find it again anywhere. Overall I wish we were staying a monorail resort, I just can't justify the cost unless some super deals come out. :D

Thank you all! DH has driven an ECV on our last two trips with no issues. We are just worried about the addition of the little one and a stroller. His family is joining us for the second half of the trip, so hopefully that will be helpful. Buses have just always been the least favorite part of our trips.

Thanks for the info on the TTC. I thought I had read that somewhere, but I couldn't find it again anywhere. Overall I wish we were staying a monorail resort, I just can't justify the cost unless some super deals come out. :D

My dream trip is still to come - I have been dreaming about staying at the Contemporary since the first time I visited WDW - in 1972! One of the these days, I will stay there!

In the meantime, don't let the buses get to you - just remember that it's just a means to an end. In the morning, I look forward to getting on the bus, and getting to the Parks! I'm there for the Magic!

In the evenings, I'm looking forward to going back to the Resort - hopefully in time for a late-night snack and an adult beverage.

I know it seems crazy, because MORE BUSES, but with the new security in place at the Parks and Resorts, you may want to consider adding Express Transportation if you are going to be park hopping. Express Transportation is available after you have entered your first Park of the day - because you have already been "cleared" by Security, you are then taken from a backstage location at the first park, to a backstage location at your next Park. Even if you don't like it, and plan to never use it again - it's a tiny backstage tour at each of the Parks, and you get to meet some great CMs! Plus, when we used it (in April and May of this year) there were very few others riding with us at any given time - it was almost like having a private bus service!

Additionally, you can cut at least one bus ride per day, if you want to try the new Minnie Van service. That will cost you an additional $20, but you may find it worth the money to have private Disney transportation that is as close to door-to-door as you can get.

Just remember that although the buses can be cumbersome at times, they take us to and from, and all over Disney World - and we don't have to drive! We just get to enjoy ourselves at each new destination! :)

My dream trip is still to come - I have been dreaming about staying at the Contemporary since the first time I visited WDW - in 1972! One of the these days, I will stay there!

:)

This is my Dream too although not as long for me ( I was not even a thought in my parents eye in 1972, but I have a one night stay at the contemporary for New Years Eve this year. Excited as anything (and had to give up a week long trip) I so hope you can do it soon.

If you have family coming the second half, if you are staying at a monorail resort, could you just plan to go to MK and Epcot and wait for help from the family for the other parks.

Something else you might think of, if you park hop and if disney still has the express bus running in April, that might help. Yes, it's a bus, but you don't have hoards of people trying to get on.

Last edited:
I don't have specific knowledge of working with an ECV, but I can tell you about my experience with twins. Our first two trips with my twins (13 weeks old and 10 months) we used two single strollers. My husband and I each wore a baby on the front when we approached the bus stop with a diaper bag book bag on our backs (twins means LOTS of supplies! lol). And we each managed our own stroller. It was easy. I purchased easy fold strollers (baby jogger zips) for the trip. Th strollers were light so we each had a hand free to hold the rail so we didn't slip with our precious cargo.

I have been dreaming about staying at the Contemporary since the first time I visited WDW - in 1972! One of the these days, I will stay there!

I have been dreaming about staying at the Polynesian for as long as you have been dreaming about the Contemporary. One of these years...

Is there a way to fold up the stroller and attach it to the ECV for boarding? Wait with your husband in the designated ramp boarding area, fold up the stroller while he holds the baby, attach the stroller to the ECV if possible, and then take the baby back. Or make sure you have a light enough stroller for you to carry and put the baby in a carrier until you get on the bus.

Since you have to deal with the stroller and your child, I think a decent umbrella stroller would probably be the best for the buses. If you stay at CR in the garden wing, you can walk in to MK pushing the stroller while your DH is on the ECV. CR garden wing is also cheaper than the Poly, I do dream of staying at the Poly but I can't justify the cost of it.

Disney just announced that they are shutting down the express buses on 8/23.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!