ECV and resort rooms

Euby

DIS Veteran
Have you experienced any rooms that were just a nightmare to get the ECV in the room and find space to park it? Which resort rooms (not suites) seemed to allow you the most room to maneuver?

Have you experienced any rooms that were just a nightmare to get the ECV in the room and find space to park it? Which resort rooms (not suites) seemed to allow you the most room to maneuver?

Generally, the more expensive the room, the more square footage you'll have. So the deluxe resorts will have a lot of room, the values not so much. Pop Century is undergoing renovations which might create more open space in the room if the murphy bed is not used.

I have had no problem with my friends ECV and out things at all stars. It is not like you can drive it that much in the room but it can go in and out and we can get in and out without that much of a problem.

I second the comment about the more expensive rooms having more space.

Also, some resorts are set up so that you will be able to park your ECV in the hallway overnight and even recharge it. I found at the Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani side) the room doors were set back a little bit from the hallway in sets of 2 with enough space between them so I could park my ECV without blocking either my door or the neighbor's door. There was still plenty of room in the hallway for people (as well as maid carts) to get by. I always took the ECV key with me and left nothing in the basket, but no one ever messed with it even though I left it plugged in overnight to recharge.

Simply because there's space in the hallway doesn't mean it's wise or advisable to leave an expensive piece of equipment that can be rolled away even without a key.

I second the comment about the more expensive rooms having more space.

Also, some resorts are set up so that you will be able to park your ECV in the hallway overnight and even recharge it. I found at the Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani side) the room doors were set back a little bit from the hallway in sets of 2 with enough space between them so I could park my ECV without blocking either my door or the neighbor's door. There was still plenty of room in the hallway for people (as well as maid carts) to get by. I always took the ECV key with me and left nothing in the basket, but no one ever messed with it even though I left it plugged in overnight to recharge.

You are responsible for the ECV, and expected to keep it in your room when you are in your room.

Cast Members can - and will - move the ECV if they believe it to be causing an obstruction of traffic, or a potential traffic issue. (This is true of anywhere on property - just like they are often moved at the Theme Parks for traffic purposes.)

Additionally, you might want to price out the replacement cost for that ECV before you leave it unattended overnight - if it is stolen, or "misplaced" you may be on the hook to the rental company for full replacement cost; check the fine print in your rental agreement.

Just because you don't want the ECV in your room doesn't mean you are allowed to park it in the hallways and it's not just about the width of the hallways, or your opinion of whether or not an obstruction is/has been created.

It's about leaving a high-ticket item unattended in a public space, where it could potentially cause a traffic flow issue. I double-dog dare you to call any Fire Marshall in this country and ask *their* opinion. They are going to tell you that it either has to be in the room (and not blocking the door) or in a specially designated area (which Disney does not provide, because you are supposed to park it in the Resort room.)

It's about leaving the very piece of equipment that you are relying upon to be your legs at WDW out of your control all night long. What if someone comes along in the middle of the night, and unplugs it? You will spend the next day constantly searching for outlets in the Parks instead of having fun. That, BTW is the best case scenario. They could also move it - down the hall, or to another floor or building, or even push it into the pool. They could hide it in a Guest room, and until the Resort was searched, room-by-room, no one would know where it was. (This, as an aside, is why WDW is smart not to allow Guests to use bell carts without a bellman; during the last convention I worked as an event planner, the hotel we were based out of told me that all of the bell carts kept disappearing, and housekeeping would find them - sometimes even "hidden" in the bathtubs, with the shower curtain pulled closed. No kidding. People would also steal housekeeping carts and courtesy wheelchairs, and hide them in their rooms as well. Things like that are why event planners and wedding coordinators are always on the verge of a nervous breakdown)

Yes, WDW *is* a safe place - the vast majority of Guests there never have a problem with the security of our personal items. But that doesn't mean that it can't happen... and leaving an item like a scooter unattended all night could pose an opportunity for mischief that needn't have happened.

It's about being an adult, and taking responsibility for this piece of equipment. Yes, we all come to WDW to live inside the "bubble" for a few days, and escape reality, but that does not mean that we can just ignore our basic adult responsibilities.

Sometimes, doing what is right takes a bit more time or trouble than what is easy. Please do the right thing, every time. We have enough folks in the world who try to take the easy way out.

One time I booked my reservation wrong and had no room for the last night of our stay. I wasn't aware of my error until I had to check out a day earlier than I expected. I was able to book a room at POR for that last night. I was thrilled Disney was able to accommodate us last minute. I didn't mention that my husband uses a scooter.
We spent the day in the parks and got to POR around four and checked in. Our room was on the second floor and no elevator. Luckily my husband can walk and was able to get up to the room, but there was no way to get the scooter up there. The walkways around the building were narrow and a scooter would create an obstruction. I noticed someone had stored a stroller under one of the stairwells. Unfortunately not all the stairwells were constructed in a way that would provide storage without obstructing traffic. I walked around the building and finally found a stairwell that would work on the other side of building. I was uncomfortable leaving the scooter there overnight but there was no threat of rain and I had paid for insurance on it. Since we were flying out in the morning we weren't worried about charging it. All was well in the morning.
The point is not all rooms can accommodate a scooter. Let Disney know you have a scooter when making the reservation unless you are booking in a resort where you are positive the scooter can access the room.

You are responsible for the ECV, and expected to keep it in your room when you are in your room.

Cast Members can - and will - move the ECV if they believe it to be causing an obstruction of traffic, or a potential traffic issue. (This is true of anywhere on property - just like they are often moved at the Theme Parks for traffic purposes.)

Additionally, you might want to price out the replacement cost for that ECV before you leave it unattended overnight - if it is stolen, or "misplaced" you may be on the hook to the rental company for full replacement cost; check the fine print in your rental agreement.

Just because you don't want the ECV in your room doesn't mean you are allowed to park it in the hallways and it's not just about the width of the hallways, or your opinion of whether or not an obstruction is/has been created.

It's about leaving a high-ticket item unattended in a public space, where it could potentially cause a traffic flow issue. I double-dog dare you to call any Fire Marshall in this country and ask *their* opinion. They are going to tell you that it either has to be in the room (and not blocking the door) or in a specially designated area (which Disney does not provide, because you are supposed to park it in the Resort room.)

It's about leaving the very piece of equipment that you are relying upon to be your legs at WDW out of your control all night long. What if someone comes along in the middle of the night, and unplugs it? You will spend the next day constantly searching for outlets in the Parks instead of having fun. That, BTW is the best case scenario. They could also move it - down the hall, or to another floor or building, or even push it into the pool. They could hide it in a Guest room, and until the Resort was searched, room-by-room, no one would know where it was. (This, as an aside, is why WDW is smart not to allow Guests to use bell carts without a bellman; during the last convention I worked as an event planner, the hotel we were based out of told me that all of the bell carts kept disappearing, and housekeeping would find them - sometimes even "hidden" in the bathtubs, with the shower curtain pulled closed. No kidding. People would also steal housekeeping carts and courtesy wheelchairs, and hide them in their rooms as well. Things like that are why event planners and wedding coordinators are always on the verge of a nervous breakdown)

Yes, WDW *is* a safe place - the vast majority of Guests there never have a problem with the security of our personal items. But that doesn't mean that it can't happen... and leaving an item like a scooter unattended all night could pose an opportunity for mischief that needn't have happened.

It's about being an adult, and taking responsibility for this piece of equipment. Yes, we all come to WDW to live inside the "bubble" for a few days, and escape reality, but that does not mean that we can just ignore our basic adult responsibilities.

Sometimes, doing what is right takes a bit more time or trouble than what is easy. Please do the right thing, every time. We have enough folks in the world who try to take the easy way out.
Just to add to this the room next to me left their ECV out every night and it was in my way every morning they refused to move it. I latter saw 2 kids joy riding it. I said nothing they ended up messing up the set and backing off the basket. I would do your best too keep your things in your room

I've got to admit I've left my ECV in the hall, but in my case it was because I didn't know how to navigate the ECV by myself. So when DH would leave early to go golfing, I'd get up with him and move my scooter to the hall so that when I got up and out later it was already there. Now I know the trick of the rubber door stopper so I have one in my suitcase for this trip.

I've got to admit I've left my ECV in the hall, but in my case it was because I didn't know how to navigate the ECV by myself. So when DH would leave early to go golfing, I'd get up with him and move my scooter to the hall so that when I got up and out later it was already there. Now I know the trick of the rubber door stopper so I have one in my suitcase for this trip.

I saw (on another forum) where a rather intrepid person not only used our door stopper idea - but drilled a hole through it, and then threaded a length of flat, woven twine through it. So... you place the door stopper, hold the other end of the twine in your hand, get on the scooter, and pull the door stop away as you drive through the door!

Now they had to use a LONG piece of twine - long enough that it would possibly drive me nuts (LOL and I don't have far to go, Lord knows!) but I thought of you, and your (newly solo) travels! :)

I am sorry for those who have had problems with inconsiderate ECV parkers, but that was not the situation in my case.

This was not my "opinion" as you claimed. At check-in I confirmed with the front desk that it was okay to leave my ECV in the hallway at Animal Kingdom Villas. I made sure it did not block any doors, and as I said, it was set back a bit and did not block the hallway - there was plenty of room for everyone to get by. Not every resort is set up this way, and I always follow whatever guidance is provided by Disney. It might surprise you to know that most times I do park the ECV in my room.

Everyone can (and should) check with the front desk on the ECV situation at their specific resort.

I am sorry for those who have had problems with inconsiderate ECV parkers, but that was not the situation in my case.

This was not my "opinion" as you claimed. At check-in I confirmed with the front desk that it was okay to leave my ECV in the hallway at Animal Kingdom Villas. I made sure it did not block any doors, and as I said, it was set back a bit and did not block the hallway - there was plenty of room for everyone to get by. Not every resort is set up this way, and I always follow whatever guidance is provided by Disney. It might surprise you to know that most times I do park the ECV in my room.

Everyone can (and should) check with the front desk on the ECV situation at their specific resort.

The serious problem with this is that the front desk is manned by CMs (often on the college program) that have no idea of fire codes. They could tell you anything is OK, when it is not.

Just to add to this the room next to me left their ECV out every night and it was in my way every morning they refused to move it. I latter saw 2 kids joy riding it. I said nothing they ended up messing up the set and backing off the basket. I would do your best too keep your things in your room

Wow! I'm surprised that 2 kids were joy riding it. I wonder where they got the key to start it.

Wow! I'm surprised that 2 kids were joy riding it. I wonder where they got the key to start it.
I am not sure if there was a key if if they did something to make it work but like others have said I would keep my things with me and in my room

You would be surprised at the number of people who leave the key for the ECV in the lock. On our last trip, we regularly saw keys left in rental ECVs.

Taking the key, though, does not stop someone from moving the ECV. There is an "override" that releases the brake system and allows the ECV to be pushed manually.

Also, you can buy replacement keys for some models online very easily and cheaply! (Not saying that's what happened in the case of the kids that were joyriding it, but it's interesting nonetheless). I imagine those kids either found an ECV with the key left in it, or "borrowed" a family members unit for what someone thought was "innocent fun".

When I stayed at the WL I had CMs at both the front desk and Bell Services tell me to leave the ECV in the hallway and there were even outlets for them to be charged. The only thing they said was that if there was already one in the hall that I park mine on the same side of the hall so Mousekeeping could get their carts through. Luckily I didn't see any others during the week. I of course took the key and everything else inside the room with me. At CBR on a different trip I did take it in the room as I didn't want to leave it outside. It was quite crowded as we had 3 adults and a child staying in the room. we pushed it over to the sink area to charge.

When I stayed at the WL I had CMs at both the front desk and Bell Services tell me to leave the ECV in the hallway and there were even outlets for them to be charged. The only thing they said was that if there was already one in the hall that I park mine on the same side of the hall so Mousekeeping could get their carts through. Luckily I didn't see any others during the week. I of course took the key and everything else inside the room with me. At CBR on a different trip I did take it in the room as I didn't want to leave it outside. It was quite crowded as we had 3 adults and a child staying in the room. we pushed it over to the sink area to charge.

That's crazy of the CMs - if you have to park on a certain side so the mousekeeping carts can get by, it's blocking too much of the hallway. How do people walking get by with the carts and ECVs in the halls?

The outlets in the hallways are NOT there to charge ECVs - they are there for housekeeping and maintenance purposes. Also, most modern building codes require outlets to be spaced at certain intervals, even in hallways.

Our stay at CBR was the first trip staying on site and also the first time I needed to hire a scooter. This was 2014 before they put the larger beds in, but even so there was enough room between the table and aircon unit for me to slip my scooter in there and charge it. At our AoA suite there were a couple of places I could store it but these two walls didn't have an available power outlet, so I had to store it near the kitchenette.

We are DVC members, and have stayed in studios at Jambo House and BLT. Both were extremely tight for space, and I had to be the last person into the room, and then once the door was closed reverse back up so I cleared the bathroom and kitchenette.

Regarding lack of elevators, I will not accept a room/suite unless I can get my scooter into it. When we checked into OKW last month they tried to put us on the 2nd floor!! I refused point blank to accept the room: we were going to be there for 8 nights anyway, and even if I could manage the steps (which I'm not happy about doing) we'd have had trouble getting all our cases up the stairs, never mind that there was nowhere to keep a scooter downstairs (not that we could see anywhere to plug it in anyway).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts