ECV's on Buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip n Dale express, Tyler: Thank you for the wealth of information!! The pictures you provided are a great addition. I feel perfectly confident that DMIL will have no problem boarding the buses. I'll also be very educated as to which bus is which.

Thanks again!

Tinseltown Trauma You are new to this board and have no idea how long I have fought this. I have no chip one my shoulder, just stating my experience. If you don't like that too bad. I have been going to Disney for over 30 years and the last 15 have needed to use a wheelchair. Went from a manual to an ECV to a power wheelchair. because of hearing issues I also have to follow a schedule set up by Disney to see interpreted shows. For your information they have interpreters at a specified park each day and they interpret 1 performance of selected shows per day. We recieve a schedule as to which shows. It is not always easy coordinating things when you have multiple issues. But I have to say Disney is probably the best at access and their interpreters rock as does the interpreter coordinator.
Tyler has privatel;y given me some information to deaf with the problem which I will use. Thank you Tyler.

Talking Hands,
I know how long you've been battling the backing up issue. I hope now that the Red Sox have reversed the curse that you can curse the reverse! My DH says the angle of the ramp at MK is steeper than the bus ramp and no one is told to back up that ramp! I hope you have a good trip.

Chip 'n Dale Express said:
Were the tie down points real low to the ground? One of the biggest reasons of strapping the mobility device down is to prevent tipping... if the tie down points are too low, the chance of tipping still exists. Perhaps the drivers were attempting to find a higher up point, to avoid that chance? (I really can't speak for them, I don't know the situation...)

If the manufactors put on tie down points it is because they did testing and these are the best and strongest points. Most newer chairs are not going to tip over, the DW chair is 450 lbs with 80 % of it less then a foot above the ground.

The problem with putting the straps higher is that they are now putting them on removeable parts of the chair that have no strenth to them. If the bus had to turn quickly the arm rest WILL come off.

The drivers need to put the straps on the frame not bolted on arm rests with quick releases.

I use to work for a local wc van company and we had someone get seriously hurt because of this.

So everyone out ther has got to make sure the drivers secure you by straping the frame down not removable arm rests.

But with ECV's there are NO good tiedowns.so transfering to a seat is the better option there.

Talking Hands said:
I hate to stereotype people but I find I have the most problems with young Latin male drivers. They have that machismo attitude that a woman can't tell them anything. They need to knock it off and remember that a wheelchair user knows their personal chair and what it can and cannot do. We also know where to place tiedowns on the chair.
Let me draw you a picture: I have read all the posts on this thread, from the beginning, so you do not need to keep reiterating your problem with the ECV; and like I said, I understand it and imagine most readers of this thread do as well. Personally, I am empathetic to the issue—but not to you. Why? Because you have a nasty and thoroughly self-absorbed attitude (perhaps you should look to poster Andrew Bichard as a contrasting example in this case), and you made a statement that was unnecessarily racist and bigoted. Now, if you don’t get that, shame on you—and apparently you don’t, because you still haven’t apologized for making that comment. One can only imagine why you have not been successful in rectifying this matter. Who’d want to help you?!

Let's move on. Please do not direct any more dialogue to me, I am not interested in further exchange with you.

TT

I made a statement of fact. I will not apologize for that. If you don't like it too bad. Plonk into my ignore file with you. Get over yourself. For your information I live in a highly hispanic area and have a great many hispanic friends.

Talking Hands said:
I made a statement of fact. I will not apologize for that. If you don't like it too bad. Plonk into my ignore file with you. Get over yourself. For your information I live in a highly hispanic area and have a great many hispanic friends.

That statement right there is extreamly racist. anytime you say you have (insert what ever ethnic group) friends, that statement alone is consided very racist.
Would you like all your non white friends calling you the white friend all the time to discribe you. Or how about the wheelchair bound friend.
Anytime you use a physical identifier to discribe someone you are using a racist comment about them.
and just for the book we have been going to WDW for 18 years in a wc and of the hundereds of drivers we have had only a handfull we have had to complain about, and they were all different races. All we needed was the bus number and they knew who the problem was.

With that being said lets get back to the original post here. I believe that was ECV's and buses. lets keep that in mind. If you want to discuss this more go to a different area of the board, we don't need that here.

pugdog said:
and just for the book we have been going to WDW for 18 years in a wc and of the hundereds of drivers we have had only a handfull we have had to complain about, and they were all different races. All we needed was the bus number and they knew who the problem was.
I'm glad for you but unfortunately I have only had problems with that one particular group. And I have going for 30 years now since my husband's and my honeymoon.
BTW I am frequently labelled. The midget, the anglo(I'm actually French decent), the sub that signs, the hearing impaired sub, the gimp. Makes not difference to me as they are all a part of me.

Ok I give up! Since you don't seem to care wether you are the target of racist comments or the one starting them. You would think that the disabled community would be one that actually tries to stop racist comments but you just proved to me that your not that type of person.
Maybe in your next life you won't be so troubled.

I was gone on vacation with no internet access. I did expect to be able to get on the boards, but wasn't able to. What I didn't expect was a fight while I was gone.
I'm closing this thread (even though it has not been active for quite a while) because the subject has been pretty completly covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter