Eess-ah-ee-ahss?

NHC can say it however they want. But I bet nobody ever asked a person with that name, how they pronounce it! I know someone named Isaias, the NHC is wrong! :D

*edited to correct to NHC, twice; stupid autocorrect)

Last edited:

NYC can say it however they want. But I bet nobody ever asked a person with that name, how they pronounce it! I know someone named Isaias, the NBC is wrong! :D
It threw me too, and I'm very accustomed to Spanish pronunciations! @DLgal set me straight.

It threw me too, and I'm very accustomed to Spanish pronunciations! @DLgal set me straight.
This just feels wrong. If someone familiar with Spanish is having an issue with a Spanish name, it’s not a good choice of name to use for a storm. Personally, I feel when dealing with something that can cause a national emergency it should have as simple, and easy to pronounce, a name as possible. The name can be Spanish, or French, or any language you like, but don’t make it something difficult to pronounce and/or understand.

This just feels wrong. If someone familiar with Spanish is having an issue with a Spanish name, it’s not a good choice of name to use for a storm. Personally, I feel when dealing with something that can cause a national emergency it should have as simple, and easy to pronounce, a name as possible. The name can be Spanish, or French, or any language you like, but don’t make it something difficult to pronounce and/or understand.
No, that was on me. I just rushed through it and made a mistake...although I agree Ignacio would have been somewhat more workable, just as one easy example.

NHC can say it however they want. But I bet nobody ever asked a person with that name, how they pronounce it! I know someone named Isaias, the NHC is wrong! :D

*edited to correct to NHC, twice; stupid autocorrect)
The letter i does not make the 'eye' sound in spanish. The í is treated just like an i phonetically but with a different emphasis.

I've met dozens of Isaias in the Caribbean and all pronounced it like the nws is.

Knew a gentlemen who was a Cuban immigrant who had that name, pronounced as the weather folks are pronouncing it. We always got it wrong when trying to pronounce it! Eventually we got it, and he was very good spirited about our attempts to get it correct. Sadly we were unable to locate him after last years terrible hurricane, so it's a bit unsettling to hear the name so much this week.
Hope he's doing ok -

I'm waiting for Yunier -- honest...that's the name of my pool guy (who I am working with on his English) and my painter.

Pronunciation? "Junior." Really.

Even with all these posts I still have no idea lol

Did they skip over the G one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter