Eess-ah-ee-ahss?

just to be clear, I took several years of Spanish (never mind how long ago!). The person I know with that name introduces himself as Eye-zay-ahs.

I taught in a school with 60% of the students were Spanish speaking. Most pronounce their names e-sah-E-ahs. Those who got tired of non-Spanish speakers messing up their names just told us to call them Eye-zay-ahs.

Welp EZassis has brought us hour 6 of power outage :(

No end in sight as dozens of issues are listed on the outage map in the immediate area. Every other house has some power line issue. We had the neighbor's tree break into the driveway and a branch snapped off in the power line on the way down. How many more do we have to go this year?

It's comin' on like a Coro'cane 🎶

Considering there’s over 50 million Spanish speakers in the USA and a lot of these hurricanes go over Spanish speaking countries and islands it makes sense to have some Hispanic names. It’s a simple name for a big portion of the population that it effected.

Agreed! And sorry, that once again if something isn’t white American “typical” many judge it as somehow “wrong,” or “too difficult.” I’m exhausted with this type of mindset.

Gonna try this one more time. The Isaias I know, who was born in a Spanish-speaking country, and who is my only exposure to this name prior to this storm, pronounces his name "Eye-zay-as. 50% of the experiences - the first 50% - I have heard this name spoken, it has been Eye-zay-as.

Agreed! And sorry, that once again if something isn’t white American “typical” many judge it as somehow “wrong,” or “too difficult.” I’m exhausted with this type of mindset.
One can choose any name for themselves or their children. That includes whatever spelling or pronunciation they prefer. Typical? Atypical? Purely personal choice.

On the other hand, hurricane information and updates are distributed for public safety. Making any of that information unnecessary complicated and/or confusing is a bad idea.

Welp EZassis has brought us hour 6 of power outage :(

No end in sight as dozens of issues are listed on the outage map in the immediate area. Every other house has some power line issue. We had the neighbor's tree break into the driveway and a branch snapped off in the power line on the way down. How many more do we have to go this year?

It's comin' on like a Coro'cane 🎶
Ours went out yesterday and is expected back on Sunday afternoon, lots of downed trees and road closures. I love the sound of generators (which we don’t have).

One can choose any name for themselves or their children. That includes whatever spelling or pronunciation they prefer. Typical? Atypical? Purely personal choice.

On the other hand, hurricane information and updates are distributed for public safety. Making any of that information unnecessary complicated and/or confusing is a bad idea.
That's where I was coming from from my comment.

Olathe is largely considered to be derived from a Native American name but to me it doesn't have much to do with cultures. If you're not from here it's highly doubtful you'll pronounce it correctly. If there's a natural storm I wouldn't want people trying to pronounce it, get it wrong and then have no idea what it being talked about. News crews from outside our area have tried to say it too whenever there's a news story..they always fail that or they just say "a suburb of Kansas City" or just "Kansas City"

I found this video years ago--truth is there are some names I didn't even know how to pronounce:

Olathe is largely considered to be derived from a Native American name but to me it doesn't have much to do with cultures. If you're not from here it's highly doubtful you'll pronounce it correctly. If there's a natural storm I wouldn't want people trying to pronounce it, get it wrong and then have no idea what it being talked about. News crews from outside our area have tried to say it too whenever there's a news story..they always fail that or they just say "a suburb of Kansas City" or just "Kansas City"

I found this video years ago--truth is there are some names I didn't even know how to pronounce:
I lived in kcks when I was a kid. Very true about Olathe. I remember how to pronounce it, but as you point out, it's not intuitive. Fun to remember those days! 😊

Fine. Pronounce Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.
I'll pass :o but bravo to those who can :)

BUT that does remind me of the Welsh town I'm sure many have seen the videos of people pronouncing it correctly: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (I can only pronounce the part I bolded correctly).

Ugh I lived here a year before I found out Jacomo wasn’t some historical tribal name, but instead was Jackson County, Missouri! :badpc:

Ugh I lived here a year before I found out Jacomo wasn’t some historical tribal name, but instead was Jackson County, Missouri! :badpc:
There's a local winery that has a variety called Joceaux...they named it after JOCO/JoCo (aka Johnson County) and pronounced JO-CO. It's a play on the name but made to sound more fancy..JOCO usually gets that :snooty: reputation which is exactly what they were going for :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter