Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

But they won't orphan points. If they had 26, they likely would not sell 25 and lose the 1. I suspect they do pick and chose somewhat. Also, it seems they sell them when they get them at times rather than holding them for the wait list.

While I am not necessarily arguing your point, it would be more common for DVD to get contracts with a point total in multiples of 5's than a random odd number. What if DVD ends up with, let's say, 28 points? Would DVD prefer to fill a request of 26 points and orphan 2 points or the one with 25 points and orphan 3 points even if the 26-point request is at the bottom of the waitlist while the 25-point one is next in line??

LAX

As I only have resale contracts (3), I have requested 25 direct at BWV for my same UY to beat the 2/25 date thinking of the points as future "insurance". I currently have the benefits prior to the change after April of 2016. I understand the benefits are not guaranteed and are just a plus of owing this timeshare. I have been on a wait list for about two weeks. My Guide knows if these points do not come through by the dead line, I am not interested. I followed up today with her. At this point, she questioned why I would not just add on 25 Aulani points. Even though I feel sure she knew the reasons, I replied. She told me there was more than 10 people ahead of me on the wait list. I will be curious to see if DVD will attempt to fill these type of low hanging fruit orders by the deadline knowing that 99% of these 25 points wait listed orders will go way.
Curious what UY you are looking for? (We are BWV owners and just decided to contact DVC about adding- wondering if we have any chance!

While I am not necessarily arguing your point, it would be more common for DVD to get contracts with a point total in multiples of 5's than a random odd number. What if DVD ends up with, let's say, 28 points? Would DVD prefer to fill a request of 26 points and orphan 2 points or the one with 25 points and orphan 3 points even if the 26-point request is at the bottom of the waitlist while the 25-point one is next in line??

LAX
I don't think there's any one answer but I'm pretty certain if they had 28 they say you could buy 28, not well 25 and orphan the 3. But whether they'd offer 28 to the person at the top of the list waiting on 25 or to the 20th person wanting 28, I doubt there's a solid answer where. One has to realize that the wait list to purchase points is far more lax than even the wait list for reservations and we all know how structured that is. In many cases there isn't even a formal wait list.

I purchased Aulani 50 points direct today to add to my current 50 point resale. It was quick and painless. I started the transaction via messaging and completed it with a quick phone call. The guide said that lots of people have been asking for Aulani 25 and 50 point contracts when the resort they originally wanted was unavailable or wait-listed. So, if any of you are on the fence and really want a small contract to get in before the change to 75 points, Aulani is readily available.

But they won't orphan points. If they had 26, they likely would not sell 25 and lose the 1. I suspect they do pick and chose somewhat. Also, it seems they sell them when they get them at times rather than holding them for the wait list.

I do suspect that would be correct. If they had 26 or 32 or something like that they would probably change the criteria of who would be offered them. But as someone else also mentioned it's more likely they would have the multiples of 5 and even moreso and in that case 25, 50, 75 etc. Asking for 26 points would possibly be asking them to orphan points so not the best way to go IMO. Nor does asking for an odd amount move you ahead in the line. Odds are just better for 25 vs 26 and the suggestion was for 26 to move you up the line.

I have a slight problem and would appreciate hearing from those in the know. I spoke to a guide a few days ago who told me she had 25 points that I could add on (same use year, different resort). But then a few minutes ago I heard from my original guide who offered my 50 points at my home resort but a different use year. He said he couldn't give me 25 points at my home resort since it was a different use year and would therefore be a different account. The problem is this...when I asked him about buying 25 points at a different resort (but same use year) he said that isn't possible, you can only add 25 points on at your home and same UY. So which of these guides is right? The original one who told me I could is off for the weekend and I won't be able to talk to her to (hopefully) finalize the purchase until Monday. So which one is right? Thanks to those a lot more knowledgable than me!

An add on (a 25 point minimum or 50 pt @CCV) has to match UY but not home resort. It also has to be titled the same as the master contract you are adding onto.

When you change UY or how your contract is titled, it is a new membership and requires buying at the new member minimums (50 for most, 75 for CCV, not sure if there are other exceptions).

I don't think there's any one answer but I'm pretty certain if they had 28 they say you could buy 28, not well 25 and orphan the 3. But whether they'd offer 28 to the person at the top of the list waiting on 25 or to the 20th person wanting 28, I doubt there's a solid answer where. One has to realize that the wait list to purchase points is far more lax than even the wait list for reservations and we all know how structured that is. In many cases there isn't even a formal wait list.
The sense I get from my guide is that there is a formal list and I've been at the same spot for the past 5 months (March VGF). Every few weeks I'll call and she gives me the same exact story. Even the number of points requested that she quotes ahead of me is the same. There are presently 8 "orphaned" points that can't be sold and have been sitting there for as long as I've been bugging her.

Either she's really good and consistent at faking it, or she really is pulling up a formal list every time and reading it off to me as it appears on the screen.

I do suspect that would be correct. If they had 26 or 32 or something like that they would probably change the criteria of who would be offered them. But as someone else also mentioned it's more likely they would have the multiples of 5 and even moreso and in that case 25, 50, 75 etc. Asking for 26 points would possibly be asking them to orphan points so not the best way to go IMO. Nor does asking for an odd amount move you ahead in the line. Odds are just better for 25 vs 26 and the suggestion was for 26 to move you up the line.

I think it's also a bit of a squeaky wheel type of thing. You're 10th on the waitlist now, but after 3-4 more calls suddenly points are available.

I wouldn't be surprised if the waitlist was written in crayon on a quick service napkin (a separate one for each resort, of course.)

The reality is we do not know how the list works, this isn't a contractual item and it isn't audited so they can do and say what ever they want. I would expect them to do what makes them the most money, larger requests may get filled first.

:earsboy: Bill

....(snip).......There are presently 8 "orphaned" points that can't be sold and have been sitting there for as long as I've been bugging her.............

We can confidently predict that Disney will be exercising its ROFR the next time it reviews a contract with the same unit number as that of the orphan(s). :)

I'm becoming more and more convinced that unit number is the most important factor in Disney's ROFR decisions. I'm sure it doesn't like having those orphans in its inventory!! YMMV.

I suspect they'd just offer the additional points to one who was close but if they had an exact match, I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped around a bit.

The sense I get from my guide is that there is a formal list and I've been at the same spot for the past 5 months (March VGF). Every few weeks I'll call and she gives me the same exact story. Even the number of points requested that she quotes ahead of me is the same. There are presently 8 "orphaned" points that can't be sold and have been sitting there for as long as I've been bugging her.

Either she's really good and consistent at faking it, or she really is pulling up a formal list every time and reading it off to me as it appears on the screen.
I think it varies with the resort but even then it's clearly not an absolute situation. If you happen to call at the right time you have a good chance of getting them but it does depend in large part on your guide.

VGF is obviously a "hard to get" home resort. My guess is you will get your points on or just after March 1. They have probably ROFR'd contracts that were stripped of 2017 points and will be able to fill waitlists when they can sell the contracts with 2018 points.

Every resort is a different price now, so yeah everyone is paying a different prices. I think CCV is $185, so that's what's being reported.

It still kind of blows my mind how lucky I was that I got AKV for $74 / point 4 years ago and still got the perks - now someone has to pay $171 for the perks? 132% inflation in 4 years seems totally wrong.

CCV was being reported on some threads as over $200 pp. AKV was being reported at all different prices. I was just reporting my personal experience.

I purchased Aulani 50 points direct today to add to my current 50 point resale. It was quick and painless. I started the transaction via messaging and completed it with a quick phone call. The guide said that lots of people have been asking for Aulani 25 and 50 point contracts when the resort they originally wanted was unavailable or wait-listed. So, if any of you are on the fence and really want a small contract to get in before the change to 75 points, Aulani is readily available.

The problem with that is, you can only book like 1 or 2 days. Or have to bank/borrow. And being from the East Coast, I did not enjoy that long flight with nothing to see out the window.

I was told yesterday that points are assigned to guides and those are their points to fill contracts with, unique to that guide. Does this mean each guide has their own waitlist of sorts? Could all be hearsay and they just do what they want anyways. Anyone ever use multiple guides to get what they wanted?

I was told yesterday that points are assigned to guides and those are their points to fill contracts with, unique to that guide. Does this mean each guide has their own waitlist of sorts? Could all be hearsay and they just do what they want anyways. Anyone ever use multiple guides to get what they wanted?

That is contrary to what I've been told by any guide and I've had a few over the years. They have to go out to the overall pool and see if points are available.

That is contrary to what I've been told by any guide and I've had a few over the years. They have to go out to the overall pool and see if points are available.

Which is what would make sense. But a guide told me yesterday when they get points, they go to the guides and they are like their fingerprints, only for them to use? How on earth would they decide which guides get what?

If I were managing the guides, I would give “non-current” resort points to the guides who were most successful at selling the current resort points. This way I would know that they had a prospect that truly could not be sold on the current resorts. Since I would do it this way, you can be sure that is not how they do it.

I called to add 25 points shortly before the new 75 point requirement was announced. (My use year was June). I was quickly offered 50 at Copper Creek, or 25 at Aulani. Then was offered several options, BLT, Kidani, maybe a couple of others. I wanted Boulder Ridge, and he said right away, no problem, hold on. And boom I had them within minutes. I was surprised and jumped at it, as I was not sure I would be successful finding BR 25 points. I even said any use year, not realizing it had to be the same use year that I already had. (Well now we are buying a Boulder Ridge resale with August use year, and will deal with 25 June points and 200 august points. I take several trips a year and will use those 25 separately most of the time/ Selling the original BCV June points).

For once, my timing was excellent in buying the 25 points. But, looking at it realistically, I probably could have done without the direct points, since I do not use the pass perks (CM). LOL. I only use the lounge, and once was fortunate to attend a DVC party at MK. But, hopefully new things to come in future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter