Effective DVC Point Rental Agreements

Thanks. Was wondering if there was anything not covered in the sample agreements posted here that led to disputes. Seems there isn't. So thanks all and I'll use the agreements posted here when I rent out points. Appreciate the insight.

I agree that there is great advice in this thread and a thank you to all who contributed to our enlightening process of Renting/Transferring DVC points!

I'm horrible with the search feature on this board, is there a contract for points transfers?

I'm horrible with the search feature on this board, is there a contract for points transfers?

I haven't heard of one. Since the point transfer transaction is so quick with no room for cancellations, etc I think most people don't have any agreement other than maybe an e-mail agreement.

I think most people get the money first and then transfer the points. It really is a little more of a leap of faith on the part of the person purchasing the transfer points, but the good news is their concerns should be over very quickly.

I can't see much purpose for one since the main reason for a contract is to be certain that both parties understand the specifics as it really doesn't add much, if any, additional protection. It's unlikely one is going to litigate such as issue even if things go bad. An appropriate email exchange would essentially serve as a contract if done correctly anyway.

Last time I transferred points many years ago I transferred the points than received the money. It all worked out but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that. Is that the way to go?

Phil

Sorry you just answered my question :)
I haven't heard of one. Since the point transfer transaction is so quick with no room for cancellations, etc I think most people don't have any agreement other than maybe an e-mail agreement.

I think most people get the money first and then transfer the points. It really is a little more of a leap of faith on the part of the person purchasing the transfer points, but the good news is their concerns should be over very quickly.

Thank You for such a GREAT Thread! I have learned so much but still have a few questions:
1. If you follow all of the suggestions from post (research your point renter, look for high post number and responses, use Doc's contract, get trip insurance, and pay your deposit) exactly how do you find your perfect point supplier?
2. After looking at point chart for your desired resort (Aulani) how do you know how many points you will need before supplier makes reservation and knows if there is availability?
3. Are points available to be rented specific to certain resorts?
4. Is there a certain minimum or maximum to renting points?
Thanks again everyone!

Disneypal said:
Thank You for such a GREAT Thread! I have learned so much but still have a few questions:
1. If you follow all of the suggestions from post (research your point renter, look for high post number and responses, use Doc's contract, get trip insurance, and pay your deposit) exactly how do you find your perfect point supplier?
2. After looking at point chart for your desired resort (Aulani) how do you know how many points you will need before supplier makes reservation and knows if there is availability?
Thanks again everyone!
1. You can find someone to rent from on the rent/trade board. Be aware, however, you're likely to be asked to pay for your whole reservation up front, or at least a chunk much larger than a deposit.
2. In the navigation bar above, there's a DVC tab, go there and you'll find the point charts.
3. Owners at each resort can book their home resort 11 months out, everyone can book any resort at seven months out. You're much better off securing the rental during the 11-month window. Especially if you want Aulani.
4. No maximum for point rentals. You just have to find an owner willing to rent that many points.

Thanks again everyone!

1. You can find someone to rent from on the rent/trade board. Be aware, however, you're likely to be asked to pay for your whole reservation up front, or at least a chunk much larger than a deposit.
2. In the navigation bar above, there's a DVC tab, go there and you'll find the point charts.
3. Owners at each resort can book their home resort 11 months out, everyone can book any resort at seven months out. You're much better off securing the rental during the 11-month window. Especially if you want Aulani.
4. No maximum for point rentals. You just have to find an owner willing to rent that many points.

Even with the brokers I think you have to pay in full once the reservation is made. If the person you are "renting points" from doesn't offer a contract, you can suggest using the contract you reference. However, they may have their own and you don't provide the contract.

You need to find someone you are comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable, go on to the next member.

When calculating points, you count each day separately. The number of points for the week are there for a convenience. If the season changes during your stay, the points for the week will not be correct. So find your resort. Find your villa size. Find your villa view (if there is one) and total the points for each night of your stay.

If you are looking for a large number of points, you may have difficulty finding a member with that number of points at that home resort, especially if you need 11 months out booking. I know lots of the brokers might not even have the points you want at exactly 11 months out.

So if you look on the point chart for Aulani and it shows studio points as 19 Sun-Sat for May 6-31 and June 1-24 and your dates are in those time frames, you would need 19 points a night?

Is there a special way you post to rent points or anything important you should include in post?

Disneypal said:
So if you look on the point chart for Aulani and it shows studio points as 19 Sun-Sat for May 6-31 and June 1-24 and your dates are in those time frames, you would need 19 points a night?

Is there a special way you post to rent points or anything important you should include in post?

Read the stickies at the top of the rent/trade board for the rules. You can't post "points wanted" threads, you can only respond to threads from owners who have points to rent.
Yes, the 19 is the number of points per night. Watch out, the number of points you need on Friday and Saturday nights is more than the rest of the week.

Is there an updated renter agreement that takes into consideration that ressies can now be made on the internet and can be accomplished, in some cases, while speaking on the phone with the renter?
I think we still need an agreement to satisfy DVC but it can certainly be much more compact than previously possible.
Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Is there an updated renter agreement that takes into consideration that ressies can now be made on the Internet and can be accomplished, in some cases, while speaking on the phone with the renter?
I think we still need an agreement to satisfy DVC but it can certainly be much more compact than previously possible.
Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Using the Internet is simply an alternate portal into Member Services. The sample agreement at post 182 likely still has all of the options you might want to consider in a contract. The confirmation will come much faster because they use email rather than postal mail. With email, the confirmations have taken from an hour or two to a day or two and I have never been able to figure out why that is. So building in some comfort zone probably still makes sense. Remember that the sample covers a range of issues and situations. You should keep what you like, modify/delete what you don't and obtain a qualified lawyer's review to ensure that it complies with local laws and achieves what you seek. The purpose of the written agreement is to comply with DVC rules and to memorialize what each party has agreed to do.

Thank you, Jim. I will reference that post and modify as suggested. I appreciate your input.:thumbsup2

Is there a sample agreement for renting out a current reservation which has an arrival date within the next 31 days?

Tia

Is there a sample agreement for renting out a current reservation which has an arrival date within the next 31 days?

Tia

Any of the rental agreements should work regardless of the date. Unless there are other personal considerations the member or renter want to include, the basics remain the same where the resort, villa type and specific dates for the reservation are included along with any payment details and cancellation policy.

WOW! I am so happy I found this thread. I honesly wouldn't even consider renting points without some sort of agreement. I moonlight as a make-up artist and even when I am doing make-up for friends free of charge I still have them sign a contract. Lol!

Renting points is completely new to me but seems a viable option for some of my plans :)

Room charges is still a big concern as I have seen a few threads where the members are left to pay some crazy fees that the renter incurred while at the resort. Sometime I wonder if it is really worth the risk :confused3

Regardless, this is a WONDERFUL thread!

Thanks everyone! :cheer2:

There is always an element of risk in these transactions but proper communication and clear definitions of terms can reduce them greatly. Please remember that, in a sense, we are all in this together and the reputation of this site and it's users is always a concern. Personal integrity is key and trust is essential. I begin my transactions on the rent/trade boards and progress to email and then telephone conversations. Everyone involved knows what's going on that way. Best of luck. Have a little faith.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts