Effective DVC Point Rental Agreements

There is always an element of risk in these transactions but proper communication and clear definitions of terms can reduce them greatly. Please remember that, in a sense, we are all in this together and the reputation of this site and it's users is always a concern. Personal integrity is key and trust is essential. I begin my transactions on the rent/trade boards and progress to email and then telephone conversations. Everyone involved knows what's going on that way. Best of luck. Have a little faith.

Thanks! I always try to see the best in people... but it's still scary! Haha! :rotfl2:

Anyway, I took the leap and decided to rent out a few points. Hope all goes well! Thanks again!

Thank you so much for putting this up. I am just about to list my points and have done so in the past. I usually put something together but always fret about something that is not covered. Feel like this really dots the Is and crossed the Ts.

We've never transferred points before. I know transferring points is a final transaction, once transferred, can't take em back.

My question is this. If we look to transfer borrowed points does that count as the one transfer per UY for this current year or for the year they were borrowed from? Sorry if it's a silly question, but as I said, we never transferred so we are starting at the gate....

TIA

We've never transferred points before. I know transferring points is a final transaction, once transferred, can't take em back.

My question is this. If we look to transfer borrowed points does that count as the one transfer per UY for this current year or for the year they were borrowed from? Sorry if it's a silly question, but as I said, we never transferred so we are starting at the gate....

TIA

You can't transfer borrowed points or banked points. Only current year points.

If you transfer 2014 points, that would be during your 2014 UY. If you transferred 2013 points, it would be during your 2013 UY.

You can't transfer borrowed points or banked points. Only current year points.

If you transfer 2014 points, that would be during your 2014 UY. If you transferred 2013 points, it would be during your 2013 UY.

Thanks, I called MS and got the low down on it all.
Appreciate your reply.

Hello,

I am a DVC member and while not new to the DVC reservation process, etc., I am new to renting out my points and have read a lot of posts here on this thread with the do's/dont's/tips/etc. (I really appreciate all who have taken the time to provide this info.) I understand (and agree with) the need for a "rental agreement" (thanks again for the examples) even in light of a certain "trust" factor that is required by both parties. However, I have a question about how do most people actually execute the agreement. Do you (as the renter) sign the agreement, scan it in, email/fax to the renter and have them do the same before making the reservation? Or do you simply send the renter the agreement and state that by responding to that email with "I agree" is good enough? (Again, noting that all of this requires that trust amongst all parties and if something were to, in fact, go wrong, the agreement may not really be "enforceable", per se, in a court of law.)

Thanks,
Randy

Thanks to everyone for all this information on renting, contracts, rules of disboards and info on points dining tickets etc...

excited to have the renter's experience this year!

This is all,very detailed but in reality, in my first year renting DVC points, I used a contract. After that, it was repeat renters and now I never even bother. I have rented to probably 25 strangers over the years. Many have become friends. All were honest, responsible, nice people. I think the tales of problems with renters/ renting are blown completely out of proportion. Like everything in life, there may be a bad apple once in a while but 99.9% of the transactions go perfectly smoothly.

This is all,very detailed but in reality, in my first year renting DVC points, I used a contract. After that, it was repeat renters and now I never even bother. I have rented to probably 25 strangers over the years. Many have become friends. All were honest, responsible, nice people. I think the tales of problems with renters/ renting are blown completely out of proportion. Like everything in life, there may be a bad apple once in a while but 99.9% of the transactions go perfectly smoothly.

Glad it has worked out for you but I always use a written agreement, even for repeat guests. Having the details of the reservation, payment schedule, contact info, and other info written down lessens the chance of an error or misunderstanding.

Not all legal transactions go smoothly, that why the legal profession is such a big business.

:earsboy: Bill

The reasons one uses a written agreement are:

1. DVC requires it: I have inserted Doc's earlier post on this requirement below:

'While some seem to have chosen not use a formal rental agreement, DVC has included language specific to the nature of agreements in Exhibit "F" - paragraph 5 to the Master Deed:

" ... All leasing or rental agreements relating to the use, occupancy and possession of any Vacation Home must be in writing (emphasis added) and must set forth an acknowledgement and consent on the part of the lessee-sublessee-tenant to use, occupy and possess such Vacation Home in conformance and compliance with the provisions of the Condominium Documents and these Condominium Rules and Regulations. ..."

Regardless whether some feel the agreement offers any protection, the fact remains that DVC mentions it's use in the POS and specifically states what it must contain, so I sure can't see any harm in using a rental contract- especially when sample documents are readily available - just like in this thread.

I would (and do) always advise renters to expect/demand a rental contract from the member from whom they will rent.

2. It memorializes the specific terms and helps assure there are no misunderstandings.

3. It is the prudent thing to do. Just as it is prudent to verify licenses and insurance of contractors before they work at your home.

As I've said before, I don't normally use a rental agreement. IMO they offer no real protection and really only serve to spell out the terms. Done correctly they certainly can be helpful but if they are not done well, they can add risk rather than reduce it. IMO concentrating on getting the terms and expectations communicated is far more important than a written agreement. That's why I prefer to get things in email form so there is an information trail just in case.

Is there a sticky in this thread which highlights the effective contracts that people use, so that I don't have to wade through 231 posts?

Is there a sticky in this thread which highlights the effective contracts that people use, so that I don't have to wade through 231 posts?

Try these:
Post 182 on page 13 (latest version of posts 134, 39 and 15)
Post 113 on page 8
Post 64 on page 5
Post 3 on page 1
Post 2 on page 1

I'm soon going to be a new DVC member and would like to rent out points. I've learned a lot from this thread and have attempted to put together my first draft of a rental agreement using bits and pieces of the sample agreements that were posted on this thread. Please feel free to take a look and provide me with feedback on what you think (e.g. any concerns or suggestions). Thanks!

Rental Agreement for Disney Vacation Club Points

This agreement is made on DATE between RENTER1 and RENTER2 (together “Renter”) and MEMBER1 and MEMBER2 (together “Member”).

Terms: All funds received are non-refundable, Full payment is due via Paypal (or other payment form as agreed upon by the Renter and Member) within 5 business days upon receipt of reservation confirmation (to be e-mailed to Renter).

In the event that the Renter wishes to change the reservation, Member will make reasonable efforts to assist Renter to make such changes. Any changes must take place on or before DATE and result in travel being completed by DATE, as that is when the points will expire. Renter shall be responsible for 100% of any additional charges assessed or costs incurred to accommodate Renter’s changes, such as the rental of additional points to secure a reservation change (note that this may not always be possible depending on the Member’s points availability and Disney Vacation Club (DVC) accommodations availability). Payment for these changes shall be due via PayPal upon e-mail notice from Member. Confirmation of payment for such changes is required from PayPal within 5 business days of such notice or reservation shall be cancelled.

Renter agrees to abide by all rules of the resort involving use of the facilities and to abide by all rules of the Disney Vacation Club (DVC). Any requests regarding room location, view or amenities cannot be guaranteed, but will be made for Renter by DVC upon the Renter’s request.

Renter agrees to provide the Resort with an acceptable credit card upon check-in for incidentals and any other charges imposed by the Resort connected to Renter’s stay at and use of the Resort.

This is an agreement to rent points that represent accommodations only. There are no ticket media, transportation, meals, transfers, insurance, or other items included.

Renter understands that Members do not get daily housekeeping services at Disney Vacation Club resorts. If your stay is for less than eight nights, you'll receive Trash & Towel service on day four. If your stay is for eight nights or longer, you'll receive full cleaning service on day four, and Trash & Towel service on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day twelve. Day one is check-in day.

Pets are not permitted to stay at Disney Vacation Club Resorts, except for service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Renter agrees to abide by all Disney Vacation Club terms, policies and rules applicable to Disney Vacation Club members and Disney Vacation Club membership. Renter agrees to be responsible for any unpaid charges or damages to the unit rented, including all contents and improvements, Disney Vacation Club property and Disney property during his/her stay that are assessed against DVC Owner or his membership. Any unpaid charges or damages assessed shall be reimbursed to DVC Owner via cashier’s check or money order within 10 business days of notice to Renter. Sending a fax or e-mail copy of a Disney Vacation Club or other Walt Disney Company communication assessing the charges or damages shall satisfy notice to Renter.

Reservation Summary

Reservation number:
Resort:
Accommodations:
Check-in:
Check-out:
Special requests (Cannot be guaranteed):
Number of Points:
Cost of Points: $
Exchange or other fees: $
Total due Member:

Party members on reservation:
Name & Age 1:
Name & Age 2:
Name & Age 3:
Name & Age 4:

Agreed and accepted on the date first shown above.

RENTER1 (Renter)
Date Signed

RENTER2 (Renter)
Date Signed

MEMBER1 (electronic signature)
Date Signed

MEMBER2 (electronic signature)
Date Signed

I'm soon going to be a new DVC member and would like to rent out points. I've learned a lot from this thread and have attempted to put together my first draft of a rental agreement using bits and pieces of the sample agreements that were posted on this thread. Please feel free to take a look and provide me with feedback on what you think (e.g. any concerns or suggestions). Thanks!

This agreement is made on DATE between RENTER1 and RENTER2 (together “Renter”) and MEMBER1 and MEMBER2 (together “Member”).

Terms: All funds received are non-refundable, Full payment is due via Paypal (or other payment form as agreed upon by the Renter and Member) within 5 business days upon receipt of reservation confirmation (to be e-mailed to Renter).

In the event that the Renter wishes to change the reservation, Member will make reasonable efforts to assist Renter to make such changes. Any changes must take place on or before DATE and result in travel being completed by DATE, as that is when the points will expire. Renter shall be responsible for 100% of any additional charges assessed or costs incurred to accommodate Renter’s changes, such as the rental of additional points to secure a reservation change (note that this may not always be possible depending on the Member’s points availability and Disney Vacation Club (DVC) accommodations availability). Payment for these changes shall be due via PayPal upon e-mail notice from Member. Confirmation of payment for such changes is required from PayPal within 5 business days of such notice or reservation shall be cancelled.

Renter agrees to abide by all rules of the resort involving use of the facilities and to abide by all rules of the Disney Vacation Club (DVC). Any requests regarding room location, view or amenities cannot be guaranteed, but will be made for Renter by DVC upon the Renter’s request.

Renter agrees to provide the Resort with an acceptable credit card upon check-in for incidentals and any other charges imposed by the Resort connected to Renter’s stay at and use of the Resort.

This is an agreement to rent points that represent accommodations only. There are no ticket media, transportation, meals, transfers, insurance, or other items included.

Renter understands that Members do not get daily housekeeping services at Disney Vacation Club resorts. If your stay is for less than eight nights, you'll receive Trash & Towel service on day four. If your stay is for eight nights or longer, you'll receive full cleaning service on day four, and Trash & Towel service on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day twelve. Day one is check-in day.

Pets are not permitted to stay at Disney Vacation Club Resorts, except for service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Renter agrees to abide by all Disney Vacation Club terms, policies and rules applicable to Disney Vacation Club members and Disney Vacation Club membership. Renter agrees to be responsible for any unpaid charges or damages to the unit rented, including all contents and improvements, Disney Vacation Club property and Disney property during his/her stay that are assessed against DVC Owner or his membership. Any unpaid charges or damages assessed shall be reimbursed to DVC Owner via cashier’s check or money order within 10 business days of notice to Renter. Sending a fax or e-mail copy of a Disney Vacation Club or other Walt Disney Company communication assessing the charges or damages shall satisfy notice to Renter.

Reservation Summary

Reservation number:
Resort:
Accommodations:
Check-in:
Check-out:
Number of Points:
Total due Member:

Name & Age 1:
Name & Age 2:
Name & Age 3:
Name & Age 4:

RENTER1 (Renter)
Date Signed

RENTER2 (Renter)
Date Signed

Date Signed

Date Signed

looks good to me! I might use it (with your permission of course!):blush:

Reservation Summary

Reservation number:
Resort:
Accommodations:
Check-in:
Check-out:
Number of Points:
Total due Member:

Name & Age 1:
Name & Age 2:
Name & Age 3:
Name & Age 4:

RENTER1 (Renter)
Date Signed

RENTER2 (Renter)
Date Signed

Date Signed

Date Signed

One suggestion might be to add the no smoking policy at the resorts. :)

I have 240points that I want to rent out and this will be first time.
- When you rent pts, you get the money or you cancel their reservation.
- When you transfer obviously you want the money upfront because once the pts are transferred the pts no longer belong to you.
- Is there a way to make buyer comfortable handing over their money.
- I am looking at this from the buyer side and not sure how to gain trust without prior selling history. Obviously their is a first time for everyone. Would appreciate your insights on this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!