Egypt 2021 - when to book due to COVID?

Raya

DIS Veteran
We had to change our trips, and are now hoping to go to Egypt in Dec 21. What would be the best time to book that? My first thought is "Right Now!" but the thread about folks not getting timely refunds is causing me concern. I'm also worried that bigger discounts might be coming. I'd hate to have to choose between losing a deposit or paying more. It seems like there's no insurance option that would help or cover anything COVID related. I called one local travel agent who told me to not to try booking anything until Feb of next year at the earliest.... but that seems way too far out. :confused3

Are you looking to book Egypt fhru AbD? The two December 2021 departures are currently wait list only.

if AbD, their current cancellation policy is still more relaxed than typical -

TEMPORARY CANCELLATION POLICY
Any new bookings made on future trips through the end of September 2020 will be subject to fully refundable deposits up until the final payment date.

So, you could book now, then if a new discount became available before your PIF date, compare the then-current pricing with discount vs your booking price. If it’s cheaper with the new discount, you could cancel the first one and rebook with the discount.

Are you looking to book Egypt fhru AbD? The two December 2021 departures are currently wait list only.

if AbD, their current cancellation policy is still more relaxed than typical -

Any new bookings made on future trips through the end of September 2020 will be subject to fully refundable deposits up until the final payment date.

So, you could book now, then if a new discount became available before your PIF date, compare the then-current pricing with discount vs your booking price. If it’s cheaper with the new discount, you could cancel the first one and rebook with the discount.
Are you saying that any trips booked before September 30 2020 the deposit is refundable?

Are you saying that any trips booked before September 30 2020 the deposit is refundable?
From the AbD website, Covid-19 link at the top of the home page - see the wording under Temporary Cancellation Policy.

IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE AND TEMPORARY CANCELLATION POLICY UPDATE
We are offering a temporary adjustment to our terms and conditions to provide more flexibility for our Guests.

TEMPORARY ADVENTURE DATE CHANGE POLICY
Guests currently booked on adventures through November 30, 2020 can change their reservation and receive a 100% credit to be used toward a future adventure. Guests may select a new travel date and/or an alternate adventure by March 31, 2021 by calling (855) 223-0025 or (407) 566-8345. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply. We ask that Guests traveling through November 30, 2020, contact us at least 45 days prior to their adventure start date to request a change.

From the AbD website, Covid-19 link at the top of the home page - see the wording under Temporary Cancellation Policy.

IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE AND TEMPORARY CANCELLATION POLICY UPDATE
We are offering a temporary adjustment to our terms and conditions to provide more flexibility for our Guests.

TEMPORARY ADVENTURE DATE CHANGE POLICY
Guests currently booked on adventures through November 30, 2020 can change their reservation and receive a 100% credit to be used toward a future adventure. Guests may select a new travel date and/or an alternate adventure by March 31, 2021 by calling (855) 223-0025 or (407) 566-8345. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply. We ask that Guests traveling through November 30, 2020, contact us at least 45 days prior to their adventure start date to request a change.

Thanks I'll confirm all this when I call.

Egypt attempting to open:

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo (August 27, 2020)

Event:
PCR TESTING AND OTHER COVID-19 UPDATES

Starting September 1, all arriving international travelers, including Egyptian citizens, will need to present a negative PCR test certificate for COVID-19 taken prior to arrival. Currently, PCR tests must be taken within 72 hours before arrival, but on September 1 that requirement will change to no less than 48 hours before arrival. Travelers must present paper copies of the test results; digital copies will not be accepted. Children under the age of six of all nationalities are exempt.

Also on September 1, Egypt will re-open Luxor and Aswan governorates to international visitors, including temples, archaeological sites, and museums.

Starting August 28, Friday prayers are scheduled to reopen at some mosques under strict preventative measures; mosques have been open for daily prayers with the exception of Friday prayers. A ban on funerals and marriage ceremonies remains in place. The Coptic Orthodox Church announced Friday mass will resume on September 11; churches have been open for mass every day except Friday.

To comply with social distancing guidelines imposed by both the U.S. and Egyptian governments, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to provide only emergency services to U.S. citizens until further notice. Limited passport services can be provided on an emergency basis, which normally includes urgent travel. If you require an emergency passport please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your upcoming urgent travel (purchased ticket). We will announce the resumption of scheduling for regular services when resources and local conditions allow. We regret the inconvenience.

The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/ (Arabic only). The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).

Oh, interesting... I think I am still on the WL for Dec 2020 Egypt. I wonder if that trip will run, and if enough people would cancel that we could go.

Having traveled in Egypt, I want to caution you to be sure that you will be totally prepared to deal with all medical issues that could arise there for you and your family, COVID and non-Covid related Like many countries, the standard of care (and language) can be quite different than you would be used to in the US and Europe, especially outside of Cairo.

Most people think that their travel insurance policy will cover them for all medical-related expenses including evacuation for medical treatment--what it usually means is that you will receive care at the nearest local facility until you are stabilized and able to fly (or be transported by ambulance), then they will put you on the next commercial flight in economy to receive additional care at the nearest larger facility (not usually to your home hospital). Read the fine print very carefully and understand what would happen in different scenarios. I know someone who had a health issue in Cairo and was confined to a hospital there for a few weeks until she could fly again while her husband anxiously waited in a hotel at their own expense.

Whether you travel now is a matter of risk tolerance for your family. We have traveled to over 50 countries; we almost always include a separate medical evacuation policy in our planning and budget; one that will send an equipped medical transport to take you to your requested hospital.

We love Egypt, it's history, culture and people; if you choose to go now or another time--enjoy a trip of a lifetime but be prepared.

Having traveled in Egypt, I want to caution you to be sure that you will be totally prepared to deal with all medical issues that could arise there for you and your family, COVID and non-Covid related Like many countries, the standard of care (and language) can be quite different than you would be used to in the US and Europe, especially outside of Cairo.

Most people think that their travel insurance policy will cover them for all medical-related expenses including evacuation for medical treatment--what it usually means is that you will receive care at the nearest local facility until you are stabilized and able to fly (or be transported by ambulance), then they will put you on the next commercial flight in economy to receive additional care at the nearest larger facility (not usually to your home hospital). Read the fine print very carefully and understand what would happen in different scenarios. I know someone who had a health issue in Cairo and was confined to a hospital there for a few weeks until she could fly again while her husband anxiously waited in a hotel at their own expense.

Whether you travel now is a matter of risk tolerance for your family. We have traveled to over 50 countries; we almost always include a separate medical evacuation policy in our planning and budget; one that will send an equipped medical transport to take you to your requested hospital.

We love Egypt, it's history, culture and people; if you choose to go now or another time--enjoy a trip of a lifetime but be prepared.
Would you mind PMing me with information about which insurance company you use/recommend (for the separate medical evacuation policy)? Thanks!

We would love to travel to Egypt, but had not thought about including a separate medical evacuation policy. That seems to be a sensible precaution...who do you arrange this through? Thanks!

Egypt attempting to open:

Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cairo (August 27, 2020)

Event:
PCR TESTING AND OTHER COVID-19 UPDATES

Starting September 1, all arriving international travelers, including Egyptian citizens, will need to present a negative PCR test certificate for COVID-19 taken prior to arrival. Currently, PCR tests must be taken within 72 hours before arrival, but on September 1 that requirement will change to no less than 48 hours before arrival. Travelers must present paper copies of the test results; digital copies will not be accepted. Children under the age of six of all nationalities are exempt.

That will make it challenging...most places that I've heard of have a longer turnaround time for PCR testing than 48h. When things get back towards normal, if this is still in place, the timeline for this requirement makes it quite difficult to have a test and have the results prior to departure. Thanks for the update!

We book our ABD trips via a Costco Travelista. They are excellent! We have booked two river cruises in Europe for the fall and Christmas of 2021. We did so early to get the accommodations we wanted. (The fall trip was a reschedule of this fall cancelled due to Covid.) We have had great success with Costco Travel and also enjoy the in store gift cards that come with booking via Costco.

We book our ABD trips via a Costco Travelista. They are excellent! We have booked two river cruises in Europe for the fall and Christmas of 2021. We did so early to get the accommodations we wanted. (The fall trip was a reschedule of this fall cancelled due to Covid.) We have had great success with Costco Travel and also enjoy the in store gift cards that come with booking via Costco.
My understanding from people who have done this in the past is that when you call Costco travel to book an ABD, it actually rings straight through to ABD. You do get the gift cards booking it that way.

Sayhello

My understanding from people who have done this in the past is that when you call Costco travel to book an ABD, it actually rings straight through to ABD. You do get the gift cards booking it that way.

Sayhello
Our Alaska ABD trip we got gift cards for $350.00 each. The trips to Europe are $700.00. If you use your Costco credit card to book the trip you also get the cash back that Costco offers. We have never been put straight through to ABD but have an assigned Travelista that works for Costco that sends us all the paperwork etc. Maybe all Costco trips do not work the same???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!