Egypt Meets Thread

If anyone is looking to amp up the anticipation on their Egypt ABD just a bit, Rick Steves has been filming a special in Egypt the last two weeks. He's posted several short "behind the scenes" film clips on his fb page and on his blog. These clips are always fun and informative! No word on when the special is airing.

https://blog.ricksteves.com/

Sayhello

ETA: Looks like there are more clips on the fb page than on the blog.

Last edited:
If anyone is looking to amp up the anticipation on their Egypt ABD just a bit, Rick Steves has been filming a special in Egypt the last two weeks. He's posted several short "behind the scenes" film clips on his fb page and on his blog. These clips are always fun and informative! No word on when the special is airing.

https://blog.ricksteves.com/

Sayhello

ETA: Looks like there are more clips on the fb page than on the blog.
Thank you for posting - watching now. As I was in New York on 9/11/01, I believe in what will be will be - I'm very excited about visiting Egypt with ABD and know that if it's not safe, Disney won't have the tours.

Curious to hear people's plans for pre and post day stays, if you are taking one or both, and your activity plans, including for the first day where there really isn't much scheduled, and for the next to last day, on the Sinai where there isn't much scheduled. I've looked hard at OYO for the Sinai and have chickened out at this point to schedule anything. I REALLY hope politics doesn't screw this up and this trip doesn't get cancelled again.
We are on the March 2021 trip, so I have some time and can see what the experience of the first few groups are like. We will probably spend a few days in our Europe transfer city (thinking of Rome) but I would Iike to do a day trip to Saqqara and Dahshur outside of Cario pre or post, and am hoping the hotel can recommend a tour guide.

We are approaching or at the pay in full dates for the first trips, and tonight we have retaliation in the mideast from Iran against our soldiers. My prayers for safety of all travelers and a wish for peace everywhere. DW and I aren't scheduled to go until October - but I don't think it's going to be a go - a month before our presidential election with the political misbehavior likely to escalate this even more.

Even with the problems they are having, right now I wish Great Britain would take us back. The joys our family has had traveling are now making me queasy with concern. Even if Egypt is a go, how can you not be stressed out of your mind and looking over your shoulder every minute?

Am I the only one feeling this way? I apologize to all of you if this is a nutty posting.

We are approaching or at the pay in full dates for the first trips, and tonight we have retaliation in the mideast from Iran against our soldiers. My prayers for safety of all travelers and a wish for peace everywhere. DW and I aren't scheduled to go until October - but I don't think it's going to be a go - a month before our presidential election with the political misbehavior likely to escalate this even more.

Even with the problems they are having, right now I wish Great Britain would take us back. The joys our family has had traveling are now making me queasy with concern. Even if Egypt is a go, how can you not be stressed out of your mind and looking over your shoulder every minute?

Am I the only one feeling this way? I apologize to all of you if this is a nutty posting.

Not a nutty posting at all in my view. My DD and I are signed up for the late December trip. I’ve known for a while now that we won’t be able to go since she will be attending university in Scotland and her break schedule won’t line up, but I decided not to move our deposit to a placeholder until it becomes more clear what ABD is going to do with these trips. I’d prefer to just have my deposit refunded if ABD is going to pull the plug on these. I hope not for those who have really been looking forward to it and still feel safe going, but I’m skeptical that ABD will move ahead with them. Definitely share your hope for safety for everyone and for peace.

I’m not on an ABD, but I have spent 3 month in Egypt and it’s amazing. Loved it. However Cairo... it has its charms, but it’s also quite a dirty crazy city and not the highlight of Egypt in my opinion. Just for anyone looking at pre or post tour stays. NGL... you can see McDonalds from the pyramids and you get some nice litter drifting by on the breeze.

We are on the June 2nd trip and I am keeping my finger crossed that it is a go. Of course there is some nervousness with everything currently going on but we will just have to see what happens. If Disney goes we are fully prepared to go. I probably should sit down and discuss the possibility of not going with DD (12) since she picked the trip.

I went on a trip to Paris during their bombing attacks there. We didn't do anything different except when the shut down the sites for possible threats we didn't linger.

Has anyone spoken to a vacationista or their TA to see where ABD is at with the trip? I am super bummed and would travel if the trips still go but want to have enough time to make alternate plans if necessary. My travel agent said that things were still a go but I wondered if anyone had heard anything else.

I can’t imagine there is any concern. Egypt is built around tourism and is not near Iran/Iraq. Don’t let fear guide you. There is no way the trips are not going on. Travel in a Egypt is back to a roaring start after a few slow years. With the opening of the Grand Egyptian Museum later in 2020, everything will be perfectly safe. Cairo is chaotic, but very friendly and safe. News reports may mention that there is a lot of unrest on the ground, but the truth is often quite different on the ground. Be happy and look forward to an amazing trip to Egypt in the next few months!

I checked ABD's schedule in Cairo, and they did change around the order of some of the activities. For example, the visit to the Grand Egyptian Museum has moved to a different day. Since they've been tweaking the schedule, I would think everything is still a go. Obviously that was before recent events. I'm sure Disney is monitoring and will make the appropriate call. I'm personally not too concerned and feel there's just as much likelihood of an attack in Egypt as there would be in London, Paris, or Germany right now.

Does anyone happen to know if the museum ABD takes us to is the new Grand Egyptian Museum that hasn't opened yet? The museum is offering pretty cool behind the scenes tours as its finishing construction. I'm wondering if that is what ABD is arranging. It's not due to open to the general public until the end of 2020.

I checked ABD's schedule in Cairo, and they did change around the order of some of the activities. For example, the visit to the Grand Egyptian Museum has moved to a different day. Since they've been tweaking the schedule, I would think everything is still a go. Obviously that was before recent events. I'm sure Disney is monitoring and will make the appropriate call. I'm personally not too concerned and feel there's just as much likelihood of an attack in Egypt as there would be in London, Paris, or Germany right now.

Does anyone happen to know if the museum ABD takes us to is the new Grand Egyptian Museum that hasn't opened yet? The museum is offering pretty cool behind the scenes tours as its finishing construction. I'm wondering if that is what ABD is arranging. It's not due to open to the general public until the end of 2020.
I may be wrong but I think they rearranged some activities to be considerate of Ramadan as well as give us more exclusive time at some of the sights. They also added a few activities so I’m excited for the revised schedule.

Was very pleased to hear back from ABD on arrival information. We have a pre-night booked at the hotel with points, and not through ABD. They will still provided the passport/visa services as well as transfers to the hotel for the non-ABD pre-night. They just ask that we send them the information well in advance so they can add it to our reservation.

In case anyone else is interested - I found the answer to my own question. No, ABD isn't taking us to the Grand Egyptian Museum. However there does exist tours you can take to visit the GEM before it opens to the public. They take you into the labs and you get to see them reconstructing artifacts. It's pricey but it gets very strong reviews. We have a post day in Cairo. So, I contacted the Ritz and they arranged the tour for us.

Was very pleased to hear back from ABD on arrival information. We have a pre-night booked at the hotel with points, and not through ABD. They will still provided the passport/visa services as well as transfers to the hotel for the non-ABD pre-night. They just ask that we send them the information well in advance so they can add it to our reservation.

That's good news. From what I've seen getting that visa on your own at the airport is kind of a nightmare. The VIP services at the airport seem to eliminate that hassle.

In case anyone else is interested - I found the answer to my own question. No, ABD isn't taking us to the Grand Egyptian Museum. However there does exist tours you can take to visit the GEM before it opens to the public. They take you into the labs and you get to see them reconstructing artifacts. It's pricey but it gets very strong reviews. We have a post day in Cairo. So, I contacted the Ritz and they arranged the tour for us.

That's good news. From what I've seen getting that visa on your own at the airport is kind of a nightmare. The VIP services at the airport seem to eliminate that hassle.
Not sure what is going on with behind the scenes tours. We booked one ( we are in the first ABD in May) and it was cancelled. Now they are no longer offering these tours. Bummer.

Not sure what is going on with behind the scenes tours. We booked one ( we are in the first ABD in May) and it was cancelled. Now they are no longer offering these tours. Bummer.

Interesting. When did you hear about the cancellation? Did they say the museum is no longer offering them? When is your trip? As I mentioned, I booked mine through the Ritz, but I’m sure it’s ultimately through a 3rd party. Haven’t heard any new news yet.

Attaching a study guide my husband made for our upcoming Egypt trip. We are still 8 months away from traveling, but super excited :)

Attachments

• Egypt Study Guide.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 38
No, ABD isn't taking us to the Grand Egyptian Museum. However there does exist tours you can take to visit the GEM before it opens to the public. They take you into the labs and you get to see them reconstructing artifacts. It's pricey but it gets very strong reviews. We have a post day in Cairo. So, I contacted the Ritz and they arranged the tour for us.

Hello all. My husband and I will be on the Sept 15 Egypt ABD (our first ABD, and our first time to Egypt).

@Cousin Orville - I'm wondering if you could say a little more about the behind the scenes tour + how you booked it? Just called the Ritz directly and inquired? I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online regarding cost.... $250 on CNN, $1250 if you're going through a tour company, etc. and we're a bit unsure what to expect as far as cost.

I do wish they'd update the itinerary. It's clear to me that those of us going in the summer will not be going to GEM since it won't be open (unless Disney has booked behind the scenes GEM tours already without us realizing it?), and I'm not sure what the offered alternative will be. Our deposit is refundable for another week or so, and I'd like to sort it out ahead of time. Perhaps we'll just call and ask...

Hello all. My husband and I will be on the Sept 15 Egypt ABD (our first ABD, and our first time to Egypt).

@Cousin Orville - I'm wondering if you could say a little more about the behind the scenes tour + how you booked it? Just called the Ritz directly and inquired? I'm finding a lot of conflicting information online regarding cost.... $250 on CNN, $1250 if you're going through a tour company, etc. and we're a bit unsure what to expect as far as cost.

I do wish they'd update the itinerary. It's clear to me that those of us going in the summer will not be going to GEM since it won't be open (unless Disney has booked behind the scenes GEM tours already without us realizing it?), and I'm not sure what the offered alternative will be. Our deposit is refundable for another week or so, and I'd like to sort it out ahead of time. Perhaps we'll just call and ask...

I emailed the Ritz Concierge at Rc.cairz.concierge@ritzcarlton.com

they contacted a 3rd party and the charge was $300 per person. I also saw the $250 pp on CNN and sent inquiries to that group but no one responded. So that’s when I contacted the RC concierge. It was straightforward and professional. I paid for up front. However, I saw chatter on Facebook that the private tours may be stopped at some point. I don’t know any details and the Ritz hasn’t cancelled our trip yet. Maybe it was something happening later on.

Hopefully no issues with the tour going forward. I can certainly report back after our trip. From the YouTube and CNN report it sounds really cool! You go into the labs where they’re restoring stuff and talk with the archaeologists.

I have the digital Egypt ABD handbook for our upcoming trip and can confirm they are going to the old museum and not the GEM in case there was any confusion. At the original Egyptian Museum we will have a private tour of the Tut collection. Ours is adults only, but for the family trips there is also a scavenger hunt in the museum.

Last edited:
I emailed the Ritz Concierge at Rc.cairz.concierge@ritzcarlton.com

they contacted a 3rd party and the charge was $300 per person. I also saw the $250 pp on CNN and sent inquiries to that group but no one responded. So that’s when I contacted the RC concierge. It was straightforward and professional. I paid for up front. However, I saw chatter on Facebook that the private tours may be stopped at some point. I don’t know any details and the Ritz hasn’t cancelled our trip yet. Maybe it was something happening later on.

Hopefully no issues with the tour going forward. I can certainly report back after our trip. From the YouTube and CNN report it sounds really cool!

I have the digital Egypt ABD handbook for our upcoming trip and can confirm they are going to the old museum and not the GEM in case there was any confusion.

Excellent, thank you for the reply! We're going to give ABD a call to clarify what's up with the September itinerary, and will give the RC a try too. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts