Egypt Meets Thread

My wife and I are on the May 19th trip. Super excited to visit Egypt. This will also be our first ABD tour. I have been wanting to take a tour with ABD but with my work schedule it is hard to line up organized tours, so I was amazed when one lined up. I was on the phone for an hour and a half on opening day. We are DVC members so we got to call in the couple of days earlier. I know some of you don't like that, but it was really helpful for me. Cant wait to hear from others who are also going on May 19th.

We are booked on the 15 December trip. DH & I will be travelling with our daughter & son, who will be 24 & 21. Really excited to visit Egypt. This will be our first ABD trip. We are booked for 2 pre-nights.

Anyone thinking about flights? I am leaning towards connecting through Frankfurt or Rome. CDG is the other not so good option for us but may be the cheapest way. Flights look pretty affordable. I am booking at 11 months!

Anyone thinking about flights? I am leaning towards connecting through Frankfurt or Rome. CDG is the other not so good option for us but may be the cheapest way. Flights look pretty affordable. I am booking at 11 months!
Which dates are you looking for? It's about time for flights to open for the May dates. When I played around flights from IAH with United flying through Frankfurt looked to be the best priced.

Which dates are you looking for? It's about time for flights to open for the May dates. When I played around flights from IAH with United flying through Frankfurt looked to be the best priced.
I found the same thing! We are going end of June so I am gearing up. I like the Frankfurt flights but saw the layovers were a bit tight (from AUS). Does anyone know if an hour is just cutting it too close? That's why I was looking at Delta as back up. (We also like Delta. It's a codeshare with Air France or Alitalia)

I found the same thing! We are going end of June so I am gearing up. I like the Frankfurt flights but saw the layovers were a bit tight (from AUS). Does anyone know if an hour is just cutting it too close? That's why I was looking at Delta as back up. (We also like Delta. It's a codeshare with Air France or Alitalia)

For Frankfurt an hour is cutting it too close. You have to go through passport control. Personally, when connecting through FRA, I wouldn't book anything with less than a 2hr layover.

I hope it's okay to post this...I know SayHello is getting ready to leave for Japan so I thought I would put it up so we can get planning!

I am on the 6/30-7/9 trip with my son, husband, and dad. Planning on doing one pre- and probably one post day in Cairo but for sure need tips on what to do. (We will definitely want a guided tour).

Would love to to hear from everyone else!
Hi we will be on the 12/15/20. Second try. First was a long time ago and was cancelled 2weeks before.

Curious to hear people's plans for pre and post day stays, if you are taking one or both, and your activity plans, including for the first day where there really isn't much scheduled, and for the next to last day, on the Sinai where there isn't much scheduled. I've looked hard at OYO for the Sinai and have chickened out at this point to schedule anything. I REALLY hope politics doesn't screw this up and this trip doesn't get cancelled again.

Curious to hear people's plans for pre and post day stays, if you are taking one or both, and your activity plans, including for the first day where there really isn't much scheduled, and for the next to last day, on the Sinai where there isn't much scheduled. I've looked hard at OYO for the Sinai and have chickened out at this point to schedule anything. I REALLY hope politics doesn't screw this up and this trip doesn't get cancelled again.

Any pre-days we do will be at our connection point in Europe. I'm thinking maybe Madrid or Barcelona. I haven't looked at flights yet because we are on an October trip. I am not brave enough to try pre-days in Cairo on my own with my son.

I don't think we're arriving into Cairo early. I don't know if there's anything I want to see that's not on ABD's list, and I don't know if I feel comfortable venturing out too much into Cairo on my own. We may do a few pre-days in Lebanon, Cyprus or Crete. Lebanon right now is topping the list.

Not sure about post days. I tend to think we're flying straight home. We're going with a group of friends though, so it may depend what others are planning.

I'm not planning too much during our SES stay. I think the point of that resort is just to relax by the beach.

We are thinking exactly the same way. Our adventure starts on Tuesday. We will arrive Monday because I always like to get there a day early but we plan to just chill and get some advice from the guides (if we get bored if the Ritz amenities). Not brave enough to venture out on our own.

I don't think we're arriving into Cairo early. I don't know if there's anything I want to see that's not on ABD's list, and I don't know if I feel comfortable venturing out too much into Cairo on my own. We may do a few pre-days in Lebanon, Cyprus or Crete. Lebanon right now is topping the list.

Not sure about post days. I tend to think we're flying straight home. We're going with a group of friends though, so it may depend what others are planning.

I'm not planning too much during our SES stay. I think the point of that resort is just to relax by the beach.

Cousin O, I'm already looking forward to your Egypt trip report! Your S.Africa ABD report really helped me prep for my own S.A ABD a few months later, so I'm happy to repeat this practice again for my Egypt ABD in Feb 2021!

We are on the jun 2-11 so the first family trip. We will get there a day early also but not sure how much we will do because I haven't researched enough yet.

In the spirit of optimism, we have already booked our flights for next June/July. Starting to get excited! As Disney noted, our flight out of Cairo leaves at 4 am. Any one have plans of what to do that day? Does anyone know about Day rooms at the Ritz? I may just book another night (it's not terribly pricey) but wasn't sure if there was a better option.

Still concerned about if this trip can/should go. This morning's Wall Street Journal notes,
"CAIRO—Egyptian authorities are combining cyberattacks with random searches of phones and laptops on the street, as part of a campaign to thwart online dissent fueling rare protests against President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi.
The intensified policing of social media has added a new dimension to the government’s sweeping clampdown, in which more than 3,000 people have been arrested since protests began on Sept. 20, according to the Egyptian Commission for Rights and Freedoms, a Cairo-based rights group."

Don't know how long this will stay up on these boards. The minions here deleted my last posting on safety concerns as "political" as I was quoting trump. I know I will not be as optimistic as acndis and will be waiting to book flights. We are booked for October of 2020. Already a good call to delay flight booking, as I was previously looking at Turkish Air, which no longer may be a good idea.

Still concerned about if this trip can/should go. This morning's Wall Street Journal notes,
"CAIRO—Egyptian authorities are combining cyberattacks with random searches of phones and laptops on the street, as part of a campaign to thwart online dissent fueling rare protests against President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi.
The intensified policing of social media has added a new dimension to the government’s sweeping clampdown, in which more than 3,000 people have been arrested since protests began on Sept. 20, according to the Egyptian Commission for Rights and Freedoms, a Cairo-based rights group."

Don't know how long this will stay up on these boards. The minions here deleted my last posting on safety concerns as "political" as I was quoting trump. I know I will not be as optimistic as acndis and will be waiting to book flights. We are booked for October of 2020. Already a good call to delay flight booking, as I was previously looking at Turkish Air, which no longer may be a good idea.
I was exploring Turkish Air for my Rhone River cruise next year. I'm relieved now their flights didn't work for me. :(

Sayhello

We are booked for September of 2020. We are seriously thinking about cancelling and transferring our deposit to another adventure. I'm trying to hold off until we see if the first scheduled trips take place and feedback from those adventurers.

We are booked for September of 2020. We are seriously thinking about cancelling and transferring our deposit to another adventure. I'm trying to hold off until we see if the first scheduled trips take place and feedback from those adventurers.

The first trip (DIS exclusive) is in April. So, as long as it goes forward, you should hear feedback then. I think if ABD was going to do a mass cancellation of their 24 trips, they would have started that by now to accommodate their ~800 guests into other trips. So, at this point I'd expect ABD to monitor it one trip at a time and what's going on in Cairo at the time - as with any trip anywhere. On the upside, Egypt appears to be having a very strong tourism growth year right now. 2018 & 2019 are up 30%.

Was thinking of trying to book a day trip pre or post from Cario to Saqqara and Memphis since I don't think the ABD trip is going there. But since I am not going until Spring 2021, I have some time to figure this out as well as well as see how the first few tour groups get on. Also thinking about a few days pretrip in Rome (or some other connecting city).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!