Eligible for DAS?

Rowab

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could give me so advice regarding my upcoming trip. I have cerebral palsy and have limited use in my hands and walking/standing for too long. This has never been a problem on previous trips as I travel with my parents and have always just rented a wheelchair and waited in line for the rides as normal, no problem. However, on my next trip, I am travelling with my sister, brother-in-law and 11 year old niece. My sister also has a disability which affects her walking. Her's is quite a bit more severe then mine so she will also need a wheelchair. The problem is - we only have one adult (my brother in law) who will be able to push the wheelchair so we can't both use one. I am not too worried about walking around the park as we will take it very easy and I will rest as needed - and its standing still for too long that is hardest for me. So basically...I am worried about the lines, as really, I need somewhere to sit. EVC's are not suitable for either me or my sister as I have too little use in my hands as my sisters condition is neurological and affects her spatial awareness.

I know DAS is not usually issued for mobility problems, and I've never even bothered asking in the past, but are there any exceptions made in circumstances like ours? I am really worried that I am going to have to struggle the entire trip.

no. mobility issues Are never eligible for DAS on their own. not having enough pushers is not valid reason to make an exception. you will either each have to get a chair/pusher or alternate getting in line for rides. fast pass the important ones and only get a in standby line if if is short enough for you to handle

no. mobility issues Are never eligible for DAS on their own. not having enough pushers is not valid reason to make an exception. you will either each have to get a chair/pusher or alternate getting in line for rides. fast pass the important ones and only get a in standby line if if is short enough for you to handle

Thanks. That's really bad news for us. I can't handle a walker by myself because of my hands so thats no help. There's no way I'm not riding with my family on their first trip to Disney world. luckily i can wait for short times and we are there two weeks. so we are really gonna have to be strategic about fastpass. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Even if Guest Relations made such an exception, there really isn't "somewhere to sit" just randomly around the parks to use while waiting for a DAS return time. Seating at restaurants (TS and CS) are typically reserved for those with food. Benches have all but disappeared in recent years.

So I would think having (pushing) your own seat, to use as needed, would be the best option. Could you push a wheelchair or use a rollator, so you have a place to sit when needed? You mention your hands are a challenge for using a walker yourself, maybe your niece could push an empty wheelchair, and all of you stop when you need to sit (which sounds like your plan anyway just without the extra wheelchair). In a slow-moving queue, your niece might even be able to help with pushing especially if you use your feet to sort of help move the chair slowly while seated.

Enjoy your vacation!

We have never had trouble finding a place to sit when needed. That's just been our experience.

OP, it wouldn't hurt to explain your situation at Guest Services. It seems to be a complex one with a lot of variables.

That's great that you have two weeks! I hope you have a wonderful trip

Even if Guest Relations made such an exception, there really isn't "somewhere to sit" just randomly around the parks to use while waiting for a DAS return time. Seating at restaurants (TS and CS) are typically reserved for those with food. Benches have all but disappeared in recent years.

So I would think having (pushing) your own seat, to use as needed, would be the best option. Could you push a wheelchair or use a rollator, so you have a place to sit when needed? You mention your hands are a challenge for using a walker yourself, maybe your niece could push an empty wheelchair, and all of you stop when you need to sit (which sounds like your plan anyway just without the extra wheelchair). In a slow-moving queue, your niece might even be able to help with pushing especially if you use your feet to sort of help move the chair slowly while seated.

Enjoy your vacation!

I've been to the parks before so am pretty good at scoping out places to sit. I think taking my wheelchair as well and relying on my niece where needed may be our best shot. She's tiny and I'm not small so it's not ideal but like you said - I can move my feet to help - sounds like a good call! Thanks :)

Last edited:
We have never had trouble finding a place to sit when needed. That's just been our experience.

OP, it wouldn't hurt to explain your situation at Guest Services. It seems to be a complex one with a lot of variables.

I think we definitely will head to guest services. I know DAS is meant to be based on "need" rather then diagnosis per say so I wondered if there was any flexability with the mobility needs issue. Hopefully tho, if DAS is a no go, my niece may be able to help push a second wheelchair through the queues. Thanks for your help. :)

Last edited:

I think we definitely will head to guest services. I know DAS is meant to be based on "need" rather then diagnosis per say so I worried if there was any flexability with the mobility needs issue. Hopefully tho, if DAS is a no go, my niece may be able to help push a second wheelchair through the queues. Thanks for your help. :)

Yes definitely go explain your situation. In my experience, GS is very willing to help!

even with a DAS you are not guaranteed a place to site and I know for my selfish and others that I know place to sit are becoming harder and harder. ( some times even the ground ). Even if you get a DAS I would plane on needed some type of mobility device just so you have some where to site. Some lines are very long (FP and Standby ) how are you walking a half mile. Let along all the walking at the parks can your parent or a friend that you all know go with you too even if for a short time of your trip? Can your nice help push one of you some?

Have you considered bringing one more person with you? It seems there's only one adult able to take care of three other people - what would happen if that one adult wasn't able to do so? I'm asking this as a situation occurred on my trip last August. If we hadn't taken my daughter's friend with us, there would have been no one to take care of my special needs niece and drive the car, as I got very, very sick down there (ER visit by ambulance sick) and my daughter doesn't drive. As it was, the trip was not what we wanted it to be, but we managed to salvage a few days, thanks to that friend.

I completely agree with the others that asked about potentially bringing along a friend or another family member.

There is practically nowhere to sit down anymore at the parks. My youngest son quit Disney forever due to it. Last December was the last straw for him. The benches have all but disappeared. The few that are still around tend to be located in smoking areas, and are usually full, even if you were willing to sit in that stink.

That trip, I logged 56 miles on my FitBit in 5 days. I have no idea why they have taken away all the seats, other than to discourage people from bringing in their own food. Even spots on the ground, along walls were usually lined with people. Not sure how long since you've been there, but it's nothing like it used to be, with seating available all over the place. The only way to guarantee a place to rest is to have another wheelchair with you.

Even if the 11 year old were pushing an empty wheelchair, you could kind of use it as a pack mule, to carry bags and such. That would at least give you a place to sit and rest when needed. I absolutely agree that you should stop at Guest Services and explain your situation. A DAS would help, but you would still need a place to sit and wait. Good luck, I hope it all works out great for you!

Thanks for all your help guys. Bringing another person a long is definitely not an option. The cost would be too much - we are coming from the UK. I am not worried about managing day to day - there are things I struggle with but in terms of day to day living my sister is fine and also helps me out. She just can't walk in the parks. I am more capable walking but need more help with other things. We get by haha. I'm going to bring my wheelchair along and speak to guest services. Here in the UK it's so easy to get the help we need when we travel together as they can ask for proof of disability, so the systems are not abused as much. So Disney will be a challenge but I'm sure we will manage.

Not sure what kinds of help your government would give you on this but could you get a wheelchair asest like this one to help with the pushing of the wheelchair https://www.spinlife.com/Max-Mobili...la&default=1&utm_term=&utm_campaign=610148043https://www.spinlife.com/Max-Mobili...la&default=1&utm_term=&utm_campaign=610148043

I am guessing since you have a wheelchair at home you are able to use it on your own? and know how much you can use it. as Disney is a lot bigger then you think just getting from one side of the park can be over a mile I really would plane your trip on not getting a DAS at all. With 2 weeks you can really go slow.

you could easily do 3 or 4 days at MK

3 or 4 days at EPCOT

3 or 4 days at AK

and then 2 or 3 days at HS

if you do the manual days this is 11 days and you are there for 2 weeks. You can almost FP every ride at least once, and really not do any standby lines. I am guessing you will have either 12 days or 14-day ticket so that should be 36 FP or 42 Hopefully you are staying on site and can book this many days of FP.

pane your FP for land like Tomorrowland one day Fantasyland, you could do liberty square Frontierland in one day and maybe Adventureland.

Can I go to Disney with you I can never find a place to site when I need one, BTMRR is one place that bugged me where do you find a pace to site there. I know there are a few places under the train station but they are normally taken by parents watching their kids play. I sometimes just sit on the ground by BTMRR but there is no shade and there is a smoking area over there and I have asthma so I really cannot be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!