Ellen

I’m late to the thread and I hadn’t heard about the realtor story before, but it reminded me of something I want to comment on.

When I was in the hospital in labor, my overnight nurse was a Nigerian woman. She asked me what I planned to name my son when he was born and when I answered, she told me it was a beautiful name. I kind of laughed and asked how often she found herself telling patients she liked the name while secretly thinking it was hideous. She replied that all names are beautiful simply by virtue of having been chosen by the parents to bestow upon their child. That parents choose a name that is special to them, to give to the most important person in their life, and that alone makes the name beautiful. She didn’t believe there were any bad or ugly names because they were all chosen in love. (It was right around this point that I was feeling like a huge jackhole.) We then discussed how names are traditionally chosen in Nigeria, the sentiment behind them, their cultural importance, the honor of being able to choose a name for your child, the honor of carrying a name throughout your life that was lovingly chosen just for you, etc. (Meanwhile, my kids’ names were chosen just because I liked them. :laughing:)

The Ellen story about the realtor, Titi, is awful. It’s made worse, in my mind, reading that the woman is Nigerian and knowing that to her a name is probably not just a name. She probably views her name as something deeply personal and meaningful that serves as a connection to and reflection on her mother who picked it for her. :sad1:
Having to deliver a baby during this whole Covid nightmare I am SO GLAD you had such a kind and lovely nurse by your side. She sounds like a gem and it's wonderful that she came into your life during that situation. :flower3:

Having to deliver a baby during this whole Covid nightmare I am SO GLAD you had such a kind and lovely nurse by your side. She sounds like a gem and it's wonderful that she came into your life during that situation. :flower3:
She was a gem, truly a calming and grounding force in an otherwise chaotic and nerve wracking situation. Funnily enough, the midwife who I was most grateful for during my first child’s birth was from Senegal, and I’ve pretty much decided at this point that I won’t give birth without a West African woman by my side. :goodvibes

I started wondering about her a few years back when I realized just how gleefully delighted she reacts to making others feel uncomfortable or foolish. It really seems to be the zone where she is completely delighted and entertained, every time, excessively so. Then I started to notice traits of exactitude and being very particular about certain aspects of various things and situations.

When I put those two personality traits together I realized it's extremely unlikely that she herself would react well, let alone find it at all humorous, to be unwittingly made to feel uncomfortable or foolish in a prank or skit of someone else's design. People who really enjoy that type of humor for humor's sake genuinely enjoy peers turning the table on them and look forward to see what their adversaries bring on them.
Yes, that was my reaction when I saw a few too many clips of her scaring celebrities by having someone or something jump out at them. A couple of times it looked like the person was having a real anxiety attack. Yes, they are celebrities and come on the show knowing what might happen. But the absolute glee she displays when someone is truly freaked out and scared, just made me change my opinion of her. The same pranks in another setting would be seen as bullying or harassment.

Yes, that was my reaction when I saw a few too many clips of her scaring celebrities by having someone or something jump out at them. A couple of times it looked like the person was having a real anxiety attack. Yes, they are celebrities and come on the show knowing what might happen. But the absolute glee she displays when someone is truly freaked out and scared, just made me change my opinion of her. The same pranks in another setting would be seen as bullying or harassment.
Pretty mean-spirited really, when you consider that those people are probably always somewhat nervous about their personal security. :sad2:

I started wondering about her a few years back when I realized just how gleefully delighted she reacts to making others feel uncomfortable or foolish. It really seems to be the zone where she is completely delighted and entertained, every time, excessively so. Then I started to notice traits of exactitude and being very particular about certain aspects of various things and situations.

When I put those two personality traits together I realized it's extremely unlikely that she herself would react well, let alone find it at all humorous, to be unwittingly made to feel uncomfortable or foolish in a prank or skit of someone else's design. People who really enjoy that type of humor for humor's sake genuinely enjoy peers turning the table on them and look forward to see what their adversaries bring on them.

I had that same feeling after watching the joy she got from frightening her guests. I also thought she derived way too much enjoyment from humiliating her audience members with those stupid games.

I also thought she derived way too much enjoyment from humiliating her audience members with those stupid games.
The games that people willingly sign up to participate in? And don't give me the "they didn't know" BS.

I have no idea if Ellen is a diva or not. But she's known to have scared guests, she's known to "humiliate" audience members. Yet folks willingly sign up to participate (or be interviewed).

How she treats her employees is a totally different story. BUT, I'm sure we've all had bad bosses (some to worse extent than others). How many times have we said on this board, "if you don't like it, find another job"? And yes, finding another job isn't always easy. Then you have to ask yourself if you're willing to put up with a bad boss. If they're doing (or ask you to do) something illegal, REPORT THEM. And this is not forgiving her. If she treats her employees like crap, yes, she should absolutely be called out for it. And there's been a lot of rumors floating around from different people. It's harder to write off a group of people.

The games that people willingly sign up to participate in? And don't give me the "they didn't know" BS.

I have no idea if Ellen is a diva or not. But she's known to have scared guests, she's known to "humiliate" audience members. Yet folks willingly sign up to participate (or be interviewed).

How she treats her employees is a totally different story. BUT, I'm sure we've all had bad bosses (some to worse extent than others). How many times have we said on this board, "if you don't like it, find another job"? And yes, finding another job isn't always easy. Then you have to ask yourself if you're willing to put up with a bad boss. If they're doing (or ask you to do) something illegal, REPORT THEM. And this is not forgiving her. If she treats her employees like crap, yes, she should absolutely be called out for it. And there's been a lot of rumors floating around from different people. It's harder to write off a group of people.

I am not disputing that the audience member are willing participants. What I am reacting to is Ellen's reaction when the participants suffer the consequences of losing the game. To me, it seems a bit too sadistic. Just my opinion.

Pretty mean-spirited really, when you consider that those people are probably always somewhat nervous about their personal security. :sad2:
I had that same feeling after watching the joy she got from frightening her guests. I also thought she derived way too much enjoyment from humiliating her audience members with those stupid games.
To me, it seems a bit too sadistic. Just my opinion.
Interesting. It's okay for the audience to laugh and enjoy, but not the host? Granted, her enjoyment seems excessive for someone in their 60s, but mean-spirited? Sadistic? Smh.

Not really but then again I don't laugh when Grandma wipes out on the dance floor so maybe I just don't get it. :confused3
Because people have different senses of humor? AFV has been airing since 1989, and is chock full of kids falling, people getting scared while getting pranked, getting injured left and right, so I’m guessing folks think it is funny. Just because you are not amused doesn’t mean it’s not amusing.

I am not disputing that the audience member are willing participants. What I am reacting to is Ellen's reaction when the participants suffer the consequences of losing the game. To me, it seems a bit too sadistic. Just my opinion.

Completely armchair psychoanalyzing here but my feeling is she started out from a place of good way back in 2003. And through a combination of increased ego from success and fame. And a desensitization to audience's feelings after watching how the "common man" behaves for years warped her perspective. Its time she steps down.

Last edited:
I guess people here have socialized with her, because I can’t imagine judging someone based on tabloids.

You're repeatedly expressing the idea that everyone who has a different viewpoint from yours is judging her based on tabloids. Some of us are judging her based on the public face she's presented us over a lot of years in many different settings. For me that's someone who can tell some funny jokes, repeatedly talks about being kind, takes a very delighted glee in scaring and/or making others look ridiculous, and has very particular and exacting standards about certain things. Those traits and behaviors lead me to believe certain things about her. That's simply a different perspective from the same parameters you're looking at.

You're repeatedly expressing the idea that everyone who has a different viewpoint from yours is judging her based on tabloids. Some of us are judging her based on the public face she's presented us over a lot of years in many different settings. For me that's someone who can tell some funny jokes, repeatedly talks about being kind, takes a very delighted glee in scaring and/or making others look ridiculous, and has very particular and exacting standards about certain things. Those traits and behaviors lead me to believe certain things about her. That's simply a different perspective from the same parameters you're looking at.
I take delighted glee watching her make people look ridiculous, apparently many others do too since it’s a very popular show. Comedy should make you cringe and feel uncomfortable, the same way horror movies should make you scared. You might prefer a Johnny Carson talk show host.

I take delighted glee watching her make people look ridiculous, apparently many others do too since it’s a very popular show. Comedy should make you cringe and feel uncomfortable, the same way horror movies should make you scared. You might prefer a Johnny Carson talk show host.

Gosh, I'm so sorry. I had no idea I was talking to THE arbiter of what comedy should be or what my preferences in talk show hosts ought to be. Now that I know that, of course you're absolutely 100% correct and it's impossible for anyone else to form a different opinion.

I think what started to bother me was all the talk about pollution, the environment, and what we all needed to do. Then, I watched her game show stunts, which involved lowering people in huge vats of tomato soup, or jello, or shaving cream, and pelting people with all kinds of different goos and food items. Huge messes. Where does all that stuff go? The environment. And, wasting all that food, when there are lots of hungry people who could have benefitted from that.

I think what started to bother me was all the talk about pollution, the environment, and what we all needed to do. Then, I watched her game show stunts, which involved lowering people in huge vats of tomato soup, or jello, or shaving cream, and pelting people with all kinds of different goos and food items. Huge messes. Where does all that stuff go? The environment. And, wasting all that food, when there are lots of hungry people who could have benefitted from that.

I heard that after they finished with the tomato soup and jello and other foods, she fed it to her staff. So technically it wasnt wasted, but I guess that contributed to her staff feeling the way they do.

She left a bad taste in my mouth several years ago with her rescue dog debacle.
Yes! That is when I stopped watching her show. She broke the rules she agreed to and then destroyed that shelter with her show antics.

I went back and looked it up, that was in 2007.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter