End of autographs at character dining?

I get what you are saying and Disney is definitely trying to cut costs / gain efficiencies .... I do think there is another element in that the parks continue to be crowded and the biggest complaint is the crowd levels and I do see a number of complaints about how long character meals can take (e.g., "I can't believe it took an hour for all the characters to get to our table!" - so while you have outlined 2 groups I think there is a third that are happy about the change as it makes the meals go faster which they want

Totally fair, I had added another line to note that there is a fair point to be made about speed of lines, meals etc... but the real answer there, IMO, ought to be to add capacity, not shorten or limit the experiences :)

Totally fair, I had added another line to note that there is a fair point to be made about speed of lines, meals etc... but the real answer there, IMO, ought to be to add capacity, not shorten or limit the experiences :)

agree with that - they've tried with some experiences (the 3 groups of sisters in the new Anna/Elsa meet for example). Some things are hard to do - unless you build a 2nd duplicate Magic Kingdom. Plus some things are popular because they are crowded/hard to get/the thing to do. People often say they should bring out the villains and other rare characters because they get such large lines at the parties and when they do bring them out - but I wonder if part of the reason they get lines is because they are rare. If Maleficent was out all of the time then it wouldn't be "special"

agree with that - they've tried with some experiences (the 3 groups of sisters in the new Anna/Elsa meet for example). Some things are hard to do - unless you build a 2nd duplicate Magic Kingdom. Plus some things are popular because they are crowded/hard to get/the thing to do. People often say they should bring out the villains and other rare characters because they get such large lines at the parties and when they do bring them out - but I wonder if part of the reason they get lines is because they are rare. If Maleficent was out all of the time then it wouldn't be "special"

The way they work the Anna / Elsa M&G is pure brilliance !

I do agree, I think part of the reason the "special" stuff gets swamped is because, as you say, its not usually available. If it were, I imagine it wouldn't get swamped but might just divert some of the crowds, it might also create more reasons to return to wdw if you can't get all your M&Gs in a single trip :)

The way they work the Anna / Elsa M&G is pure brilliance !

I do agree, I think part of the reason the "special" stuff gets swamped is because, as you say, its not usually available. If it were, I imagine it wouldn't get swamped but might just divert some of the crowds, it might also create more reasons to return to wdw if you can't get all your M&Gs in a single trip :)

They've been doing that for many years, all the way back to Toontown in the MK.

Evil Queen is available in Disneyland fairly often. She gets decent lines but NOTHING like that Maleficent mess in DHS a couple weeks ago.

I completely agree with the bolded point. You should see all the opining I did in the thread about free parking going away.

But my feeling when it comes to this particular case is that the character interaction before and after the autographs are the best part. The autographs take away from the best part of the interaction and make the lines take longer. This is addition by subtraction - regardless of the general theme of cost-cutting.

Now, I don't have to be the bad guy in my family and put my foot down about the books if Disney already has.

Luckily though, because of this thread, we've had family discussion and everyone agreed that they don't need to do the book(s) next time. Although this change (if it becomes permanent) seems to have disappointed many, Disney would actually improve my experience with this one - and it wasn't an upcharge.

I'm with you 100%

While I can't stand cuts and closures while raising prices...which is what they've been doing for over a decade...this is not the hill to dine on.

The "I'm paying for it" would only lead to higher prices and cuts at those buffets...it's better for them roll more people through to get their metric ton of flesh

This is making me feel bad that I'm looking to buying another book for my next visit during very merry Christmas. I don't have any character dining reservations but it's just the general consensus that's making me feel bad. I thought it was kind of fun as an adult. Some seemed more open to me that it looked like a kid at heart meeting them

But my feeling when it comes to this particular case is that the character interaction before and after the autographs are the best part. The autographs take away from the best part of the interaction and make the lines take longer. This is addition by subtraction - regardless of the general theme of cost-cutting.
Maybe for some it is. But for others, the kids need that little bit of time during the autograph to actually warm up and break the ice. Take that away and the character is gone as soon as Mom or Dad takes a quick photo.

I forgot all about character autographs! I had a Disney autograph book as a child, but the process didn't appeal to me after middle school age. That book's been in the trash for at least a couple of decades now, too. It seems like it'll be fun to get back into once DD is old enough to care about that kind of stuff. At the same time, I'm sure waiting in line for meet and greets/autograph signings will get old fast.

I've read some post on another forum that people have been given pre-printed autograph cards at certain restaurants. One example was at Crystal Palace, they were handing out autographed honey pots. Was wondering if anyone else has heard or experienced this recently.

We just returned from an 11 night stay- we did lots of character dining because it ended up being my 19 month old's favorite thing to do and we are suckers for her.... chef Mickey twice, crystal palace and Akershus. No cards. All characters signed autograph books.

I have to add that the character experiences we had this trip were the best we've had after 11 trips. At meals and in the parks. They all spent a ton of time with my kids. Now, our baby is freaking adorable and they definitely loved her- Mickey at Chef Mickey even came back to our table to see her again, so I don't know if she had anything to do with that, but every meet and greet was extra special and way more interactive this trip. My husband took our 6 year old to see Mickey and co at Epcot during the baby's nap and he said they were also fantastic with her. It's something we'll always cherish. Definitely a major improvement over other trips.

I completely agree with the bolded point. You should see all the opining I did in the thread about free parking going away.

Now, I don't have to be the bad guy in my family and put my foot down about the books if Disney already has.

Luckily though, because of this thread, we've had family discussion and everyone agreed that they don't need to do the book(s) next time. Although this change (if it becomes permanent) seems to have disappointed many, Disney would actually improve my experience with this one - and it wasn't an upcharge.

My DS is disabled, loves his books, has them from the 1990's but I totally agree with this. I'm in lots of character lines, I watch lots of interactions. The interaction is broken up by the signature time. I'd much rather a cohesive meet where the characters talk, dance or gesture fun ending with a posed photo. When I pull up my pictures it always seems the bulk of them are the character signing, and DS standing there waiting, then a few posed . Had that been a non-stop interaction we might have gotten a grouping of photos with some awesome natural shots. Natural shots are often the best, that catch the great expressions or that special cheek kiss & hug or dancing.

I actually am all for this ... even though I will have some major adjustments to make to DS meets.

My DS is disabled, loves his books, has them from the 1990's but I totally agree with this. I'm in lots of character lines, I watch lots of interactions. The interaction is broken up by the signature time. I'd much rather a cohesive meet where the characters talk, dance or gesture fun ending with a posed photo. When I pull up my pictures it always seems the bulk of them are the character signing, and DS standing there waiting, then a few posed . Had that been a non-stop interaction we might have gotten a grouping of photos with some awesome natural shots. Natural shots are often the best, that catch the great expressions or that special cheek kiss & hug or dancing.

I actually am all for this ... even though I will have some major adjustments to make to DS meets.
But nobody says you have to ask for an autograph. If the interaction is better without one, then don't bring anything for them to sign.

I honestly thought one huge advantage to autograph books is they become a nice ice breaker for very young or shy children. It give the child a purpose to approach and start interacting with the character. Banning autographs will make some interactions better, and some interactions will become more shy and awkward. The other problem is for years Disney has built a market based on autographs and autograph books to the point of being a tradition. I do like the idea if they are going to swap to autographs, standardize them and put out associated collectable book to hold the new autograph cards. It would make the transition much more natural than the autograph books they have been successfully marketing for years just disappearing.

But nobody says you have to ask for an autograph. If the interaction is better without one, then don't bring anything for them to sign.

I understand that. But for me, he wouldn't understand why others are getting and he is not. I get it, personal issue. But if none of us are getting them, I would gladly appreciate the lines being shorter waits.

Believe me, they have been a integral part of our trips ......... it is important to him, he has an encyclopedia plus set of books. But I do see the other side of this, the impact to time ........... and I think without that stop in the interaction folks will get way more pictures and special memories because the character isn't using your meet time to sign books and hand off.

Just my 2 cents, but something has changed with character rotation efficiency in the last few years. We used ot have no problems seeing all characters at least once during our meal. We're spending the same amount of time dining, but something has changed so that the characters just don't make it around in the same efficient manner that they used to. We were at Crystal Palace last summer and we saw a whopping 2 characters in about an hour and 20 min. We weren't even close to seeing the other two based on breaks and rotations. The previous year, we missed out on seeing Pooh...similar dining timeframe...but our server estimated he was still a good 20 min from our table. We've had similar issues at 1900 PF...only seeing 4 our of 5 characters after 90-110 min.

I've seen people in my FB groups griping that it's a rip off to pay for a character meal and not get autographs. I think it's a rip off if they can't get all of the characters to your table. Not sure if eliminating autographs is the answer, but 2013 was the last time I remember character rotation at meals running efficiently. So something needs to change.

I've seen people in my FB groups griping that it's a rip off to pay for a character meal and not get autographs. I think it's a rip off if they can't get all of the characters to your table. Not sure if eliminating autographs is the answer, but 2013 was the last time I remember character rotation at meals running efficiently. So something needs to change.

I agree. I think that the point of a character meal is having the characters visit your table. If you get an autograph then great but if you don't, you still get what you paid for- characters.

This is making me feel bad that I'm looking to buying another book for my next visit during very merry Christmas. I don't have any character dining reservations but it's just the general consensus that's making me feel bad. I thought it was kind of fun as an adult. Some seemed more open to me that it looked like a kid at heart meeting them

Adult character autograph books?

...hmmmm...how do I put this nicely?:scratchin

We just returned from an 11 night stay- we did lots of character dining because it ended up being my 19 month old's favorite thing to do and we are suckers for her.... chef Mickey twice, crystal palace and Akershus. No cards. All characters signed autograph books.

I have to add that the character experiences we had this trip were the best we've had after 11 trips. At meals and in the parks. They all spent a ton of time with my kids. Now, our baby is freaking adorable and they definitely loved her- Mickey at Chef Mickey even came back to our table to see her again, so I don't know if she had anything to do with that, but every meet and greet was extra special and way more interactive this trip. My husband took our 6 year old to see Mickey and co at Epcot during the baby's nap and he said they were also fantastic with her. It's something we'll always cherish. Definitely a major improvement over other trips.

Wow...do you need help finding a detox place to flush the pipes after all that?!?

(I kid, I kid...ok...not so much actually :banana: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter