End of May girls trip report! HRH and a birthday at Hogwarts!

qemom

Earning My Ears
My first trip report from our girls trip the end of May.
A little background:
Trip included me (40s, Ravenclaw) DD1 (15, Slytherin) DD2 (10 at beginning of trip, Hufflepuff)
The 3 of us love thrill rides and ALL things Harry Potter. Our first trip to Universal was a year ago, split trip with Disney. We did 2 1/2 days at the dark side that trip and it wasn't enough! We couldn't wait to go back. Last time we stayed offsite, this trip we were at Hard Rock and loved the express passes. Another plus for this trip was my youngest is now 54 inches so she could ride everything!

We did not do Volcano Bay this trip. I knew it was going to be crazy mobbed with it just opening so didn't want to mess with that. Plus it would take away from our Harry Potter time, which wouldn't be good either lol

Day 1
We took a late flight, landed in Orlando about 11:15. I booked Tony Hinds thanks to many recommendations on this board and he was fantastic! He was waiting at the bottom of the escalator at the baggage claim and helped me get our bags. Since we were getting in late we just did a room at Hampton Inn using points. Tony waited in the lobby to make sure there were no issues with my reservation. As a woman traveling late at night with my kids I so appreciated this as I would've hated to have been stranded there if there was an issue!

Day 2
We just took an uber to Hard Rock and got checked in early. Room wasn't ready of course so we just left the bags and headed right to the parks. Got to IOA about 830 and headed right back to Hogsmeade. From experience we knew we needed to get on Forbidden Journey first and it was just as awesome as we remembered. We wandered around Hogsmeade riding rides, drinking Butterbeer and casting spells, the kids brought their wands from last trip. We then rode the train to Diagon Alley. I think everytime we walk around the brick wall into DA we get goosebumps, its just so amazing! So more spells and meandering around and rode Gringotts. We then left DA, went to Men In Black and Transformers. Transformers was our longest wait of the trip, about 20min so not terrible. I then got a text our room was ready. We hit Rip Ride Rocket, twice, on our way out of the park and walked back to HRH. Got our room keys activated and head upstairs to change for the pool. The pool was awesome, and there was live music for part of the time we were out there. Got a couple lounge chairs and my youngest hit the slide. We just relaxed, ordered nachos, chicken strips, and smoothies. It was a much needed break. Then we went to the room and cleaned up and headed back to the parks. This time we started with Hulk. During our last trip it was closed for renovation so this was a first time for all of us. We loved it! It may be the best roller coaster I've ever been on. I think we rode it 3 times in a row lol. Gotta love express passes! We then headed back to Hogsmeade and closed the park there.

Day 3
We attempted to be up for early entry, but it didn't happen ;) I think we got to IOA about 830-845 so not too bad. Started by upgrading our tickets to AP. I had the buy 2 get 1 tickets from Undercover Tourist. Upgraded to seasonal pass with no issue, even swap. The girl at guest services also noticed my youngest DD birthday was the next day so she went ahead and gave us her birthday button. I was very appreciative not to have to stand in line at guest services the next day for that! So we rode Hulk, Spiderman, Dr Dooms Fearfall, and Kong on our way back to Hogsmeade. Forbidden Journey, spells, and butterbeer. We then were pretty hot and sweaty and ready for food and the pool. Ate at Hard Rock Cafe, then lounged by the pool with our smoothies. After we got cleaned up we went to Universal and back to London. Stopped at the Knight Bus. My oldest was wearing her Slytherin shirt and had put a dark mark tattoo on her arm that morning. The Knight Bus driver was so funny, as soon as he saw her tattoo he moved about 5 feet away from her. He wouldn't move closer for a picture until I took her wand from her because he said she was going to perform dark magic on him LOL. So we finally got a picture and headed into DA. One of our goals for this trip was to see DA at night. Universal closed at 9:00 so about 8:50 we got in line for Gringott's. It was pretty dark by the time we were done, and DA definitely is so cool at night! Especially when the dragon breathes fire! But then we soon realized that I should've been keeping a better eye on the radar, and that I should've brought our ponchos! It went from nothing to a torrential downpour in minutes. We made it to the entrance of DA by the brick wall and just hung out there with about 30 other people hoping it would pass quickly. It didn't. Lots of thunder and lightning and just pouring. About 20 minutes later the lightning had diminished, and we were pretty tired of standing crowded in that little area, so we made a run for King's Cross Station. I wish we would've done that 20 minutes earlier! Much bigger area and we could actually sit down. There were several other families trying to wait out the storm as well. After about 10-15 more minutes the rain slowed from torrential downpour to just a downpour so we figured that was the best it was going to get. So we kinda ran from awning to awning the best we could. Made it to the bathrooms in NYC I think and a very nice young man cleaning the bathrooms gave us 2 trash bags for my girls to use as ponchos. So we kept going and made it back to HRH. Kids stayed mostly dry except for their shoes. I was drenched to the bone. But it was an adventure for sure!

Day 4
Today was my youngest DD 11th Birthday! We did not plan this trip for her birthday, it just always falls between the end of school and start of summer activities which is the best time for us to travel. But it turned out perfect since it was her 11th and that's when wizards and witches get their Hogwarts letter. She wore her robe we had purchased last trip and put on her birthday button. She loved that everyone told her Happy Birthday! Her main goal for the day was to be picked at Ollivander's, and she was! I'm sure the robe and birthday button helped! Our Ollivander was very funny and it was a great experience for DD. We purchased the wand and went off to do more spells. Of course we got Butterbeer and my older DD tried fishy green ale. It was surprisingly good! Then we rode the train to Hogsmeade and did our usual lineup there. DD was beside herself getting to spend her 11th birthday at Hogwarts! Early afternoon we headed to hotel for a break. Stopped at Toothsome for milkshakes. I was a little disappointed. They looked spectacular and they were good but not spectacular tasting. Then we got to HRH and discovered my husband had a surprise sent to the room for DD birthday. It included guitar shaped sugar cookies to decorate with frosting and toppings. So cute! It was the "pour some sugar on me" package. We then changed and got down to the pool, only to discover they were getting people out due to lightening coming in. I really need to pay more attention to the radar! We went back to the room and just chilled out for about 30min, it never rained but pool still wasn't open so we changed and went to Citiwalk. It then started raining so we ate at Cowfish (yum) and by the time we were finished the rain was done. So back to IOA and rode Hulk a few times. We then left IOA and went to Universal to try and ride rip ride rocket but it started raining again. So we shopped in the Universal store for a bit then headed back to the hotel.

Day 5
Departure day :( We packed up and took our bags downstairs. Our flight wasn't until 7pm so we left our stuff and headed to the parks. The goal was to hit the favorites 1 last time, so Hulk, Kong, MIB, and both Hogsmeade and DA. I think we rode the train 3 times back and forth that day lol. Then back to HRH and got our bags. John picked us up right on time and we headed home. We had a fantastic time! Loved the express passes and I'm not sure if we will be able to go back without them lol. Loved HRH, not a single complaint! We mostly walked to the parks but also took the water taxi a few times, so convenient. Since we have the AP my kids are hoping we will make it back sometime in the next year, and so am I!

What a lovely trip!

Except for the rain of course, that sounded awful.......

But, glad you had such a lovely time in the parks and enjoyed the hotel so much. And yes Tony Hinds is an amazing guy, a real gentleman.

Thanks for reporting back and glad to hear you're going back.........:wave2:

What an awesome trip! And I'm in complete agreement, HRH just rocks!! We're not ones to spend a lot of daytime in the room.....but oh how we loved that pool! If DH tires out on us during our trip in Nov, my plan is to park him in a lounger and find a waiter then tip him well!! :drinking1

What an awesome trip! And I'm in complete agreement, HRH just rocks!! We're not ones to spend a lot of daytime in the room.....but oh how we loved that pool! If DH tires out on us during our trip in Nov, my plan is to park him in a lounger and find a waiter then tip him well!! :drinking1

If my husband would've been on this trip with us that's exactly what I would've done with him!

Love your report!

Tony is a wonderful considerate man
He is a true gem to people

He stayed with you until you were officially checked into that first hotel
Because of how he treats all his fares, I always recommend his services

You were very detailed in the report
Made me feel like I was walking behind you

Rain happens but you handled it great

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the readers

Many newbies get so much important information from trip reports

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!