engine noise/noise on the AMA river cruises

Well, I was on the 3rd (Violin) deck, but I was towards the back. I didn't have any issues with engine noise that I can recall.

Sayhello

I would avoid the last couple of cabins at the back. We were on the Seine and our friends were in the last cabin and it was very noisy and a fair bit of vibration.

We've always been the front cabins (which is really the middle of the ship) and I have never heard anything-super quiet.

We were on the Rhine River cruise, on the middle level and toward the middle-front of the boat. I don't recall any problems with noise or vibration. It was much quieter than the Disney Cruise ships I have been on (e.g. Wonder, Fantasy)

I had a french balcony room about 2/3 of the way down the hallway. Couldn't hear anything engine-wise. I could feel the ship vibrating when we were moving but it wasn't a big deal.

We were all the way back, it was TERRIBLE!

Could not sleep the first two nights. We were going upstream from Budapest and they said the engines really have to work hard those first few days.

Could not sleep the first two nights. We were going upstream from Budapest and they said the engines really have to work hard those first few days.

I am so thankful for this thread. I am absolutely going to keep this in mind if (when?) I take my third river cruise.

Our room was on the middle deck, whatever that is called and maybe the 4th or 5th room from the front so towards the middle of the boat. It was silent. I note that the people on the top deck, below the walking track complained about noise from that, and they limited the hours for it, but I can see how it's like being under the pool deck on DCL.

That brings up a question-is a river cruise upstream different than a cruise downstream in respect to ship movement? We have a choice of a west-east (downstream) or east-west (upstream) and wonder if there is any difference travel-wise.

That brings up a question-is a river cruise upstream different than a cruise downstream in respect to ship movement? We have a choice of a west-east (downstream) or east-west (upstream) and wonder if there is any difference travel-wise.

If all things were equal, I would choose downstream every time. There really wasn't much riverboat movement, like side to side, it was just that the engines were working SO hard to get upstream, especially the first few days out of Budapest. I didn't get any sleep the first few nights. Noise settled down the last half of the trip, that and I got used to the engine noise. I would stay home before I booked another cabin at the back of a riverboat.

I think I'm in the minority, but I experienced engine noise and felt vibrations on board for the Seine when we were moving at night and had trouble sleeping. Middle deck, pretty much in the middle of the ship. But in comparison, I usually book an inside stateroom on DCL and like things quiet when I sleep.

I don't know about differences in ship movement, but on the Rhine cruise, a guide said that ABD offers only the downstream direction (Basel to Amsterdam) because that means the ship can spend less time sailing and therefore the guests get more time at the ports of call.

Thank you so much for this thread - putting together my request for my TA and this question popped into my head because I am very noise sensitive when I sleep.

I don't know about differences in ship movement, but on the Rhine cruise, a guide said that ABD offers only the downstream direction (Basel to Amsterdam) because that means the ship can spend less time sailing and therefore the guests get more time at the ports of call.
How do the boats get back to Basel? Does Ama do their own non-ABD cruises from Amsterdam to Basel?

For those of you who have taken a Rhine River cruise, may I ask if you have done a review? If you have an you provide a link? I would love to read about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!