EPCOT is a sacred place to me. For many many trips it was the first park I went to and SE was the first ride, so the smell and breeze when you get up underneath it have the same effect on me that the Castle has on so many people. I end up spending most evenings there, just strolling around WS. Ahhhh... more relaxed now just thinking about it.

This makes me want to move to Florida... That sounds exactly like what I need today.
We used to live 10 minutes from WDW, and it was nice to just pop over to Epcot and the other parks on a random Tuesday night. We didn't live there very long, but enjoyed it during our short stint. Often wonder had we stayed, would the magic have been diminished in any way. My brother has lived in Orlando since 1999, used to be a Disney commando, now he only goes to Epcot to walk a couple hours. He doesn't ever go to the other three parks :confused3 It's almost as routine as going to the mall now for him...kinda sad. Of course now that I think about it, we crazy folk on the Dis, we would never find it routine :stir:

Bah! Whenever anyone asks why I spend so much time/money at WDW, I have ALWAYS said "Cheaper than therapy!". A one week session cures me for a full year :)

Great post OP. Have been using WDW as therapy since 2005.
But, the video (Hot Date-Adult Disney Fans are Weird) is even better. Literally, LOL'd.

I, for the first time (...in forever) have two trips in the works. Soon, to buy my first APs. Soooo excited to increase my therapy sessions.

We used to live 10 minutes from WDW, and it was nice to just pop over to Epcot and the other parks on a random Tuesday night. We didn't live there very long, but enjoyed it during our short stint. Often wonder had we stayed, would the magic have been diminished in any way. My brother has lived in Orlando since 1999, used to be a Disney commando, now he only goes to Epcot to walk a couple hours. He doesn't ever go to the other three parks :confused3 It's almost as routine as going to the mall now for him...kinda sad. Of course now that I think about it, we crazy folk on the Dis, we would never find it routine :stir:

It's funny you say that. When DW and I made the decision that we wanted to get out of the winters of the mid-Atlantic, it really was a situation of "the world is our oyster". We didn't have family anywhere else in the country, so we really could have picked anywhere. We knew we wanted someplace warm, that was priority one. One of the very early places that came up was the Orlando area. The big reason we said no was that we didn't want to have WDW become routine or boring. I don't know if it would have or not, but it was one the biggest factors why we decided not to look into Orlando any further.

Ah Epcot! Nailed it why it's still a fabulous time. Did my DCP here waaayyyy back in the '90's - living seas is my happy place (in spite of Nemo and that they took the transporters out).
But why the hate for Norway? Ignore the frozen mess and stop in for lefse to go with the blood orange margarita.
Ok officially excited to be there in less than 3 weeks!!!

I have a tendency of calling World Showcase an "outdoor internationally themed mall", but I found France to be very peaceful right at opening.

Thank you @Chadpoll for providing this perspective on Epcot! It's so easy to get wrapped up in checking off attractions lists, schedules, reservations, and all the minutiae, only to forget the reason I love theme parks to begin with.
Your observations about the smells is particularly appreciated. Walt Disney himself knew that scents can create a powerful emotional connection to both place and time. Most people probably don't even realize how much they are affected by it, so your perceptiveness on this has opened my eyes (nose?) to paying more attention in the future.

With multiple visits in recent years, my excitement about Epcot has died down a little bit. But I remember my first visit to WDW. All the other parks were great, but it was Epcot that made me think, "I want to live here and have Epcot in my backyard." Over time, I became jaded. Before the trip, there's so much emphasis on getting FP+ and to be honest, Epcot is lacking in that area and that has made me lose sight of why I actually like theme parks. But next time I visit, I'll be sure to think about the things that you wrote and take time to smell the roses, and the park!

Yay! Love this. Now I want to go look at Josh's pics on one of his Epcot posts and I'll really feel like I'm there :)

It's funny you say that. When DW and I made the decision that we wanted to get out of the winters of the mid-Atlantic, it really was a situation of "the world is our oyster". We didn't have family anywhere else in the country, so we really could have picked anywhere. We knew we wanted someplace warm, that was priority one. One of the very early places that came up was the Orlando area. The big reason we said no was that we didn't want to have WDW become routine or boring. I don't know if it would have or not, but it was one the biggest factors why we decided not to look into Orlando any further.
Probably the right decision Klayfish :thumbsup2 My brother doesn't understand why when we come to WDW, we actually want to spend most of our time at the parks :lmao:Methinks he's jaded slightly :scratchin

Love it!

At least my wife has it as bad as me, but the people at work look at us like we are insane. I don't even tell them where we are going on vacation any more...

When I put in for my two week vacation to the Dis, my boss said "Oh, well, I guess you have to be dragged there because of your kid."

Yesss..because of my kid. Of course. Haha, the perfect six year old patsy.

As others have said, thanks for that wonderful post that was so spot on (I especially appreciate the part about the fountain since watching that is my particular Epcot happy place). I'm sitting at my desk, planning my next trip in Oct., and suddenly wondering why I only have 1 day planned for Epcot...:rolleyes:

Yep! We had a trip to FL for a conference and added a day for Disney, EPCOT. My dream came true to stroll leisurely with DH (not at teen boy speed) and take in the sights, sounds, and a fabulous dinner at Le Cellier.

Ahhhh, Le Cellier - Ate there last Friday - Warm pretzel bread....glass of Pinot Noir.....N.Y. Strip Steak cooked to perfection.....Crème Brulee for dessert......:-)

Thanks so much for the post. I feel much the same way. Since I go twice a year, I don't feel quite so pressed to hit all the rides. I make my ADRs and then spend more time absorbing the ambiance of all the parks. Epcot is my favorite with DHS a close second. And it's all about ambiance.

Love this, if I lived close to Disney I would totally run away there when I needed some alone time. Nothing sounds more therapeutic than walking world show case with a beverage of my choice that I do not have to share and listen to my surrounding.

Epcot is and has always been our favorite park, and I have a young teenage boy. It has been his favorite since he was little. I am very lucky he likes to go at a leisurely pace and take it all in. He has even commented that he could just sit in the park and do nothing, just enjoy it I am such a lucky Disney mom.

Being an actual therapist....I can tell you that EPCOT is NOT cheaper than therapy, BUT...alas, I am surely not able to provide the spot-on experiences that you describe. What CAN'T a ride through Spaceship Earth cure?? Nothing! Darn! I wonder if the Phoenicians would hang out in my office for a while?

We hardly got into World Showcase last year as we were with an extended-family group and hardly anybody was interested!
This November, I am looking forward to hours of leisurely exploration! Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!