Epcot Construction - anyone changing plans for 2020? Changing the way you visit parks?

Farro

Argh.
Just curious.

We are going in May 2020. Come to find out yesterday that Ratatouille and The Railway Ride most likely won't be open for our visit (were slated for spring, now summer or no date at all).
Rumored closings of Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise (both supposedly open in summer), Spaceship Earth and not sure what else?
Epcot Future World is undergoing an amazing transformation, but unfortunately will be under construction all of next year.

We are still going, but I have to admit I'm not as excited anymore. But I'll adapt.
Still have:
Galaxy's Edge
Flower/Garden
Toy Story Land (we haven't seen yet)

Silver lining, maybe people will put off trips until some more rides open or even until 2021.

Anyone changing their plans? Changing the way you do parks?

We may spend less time at Epcot than normal and more time at DHS. See how bad it is while we are there. World Showcase should be okay, so that's good.
Hopefully Animal Kingdom will still be amazing for us. :)

I'll be curious if they do close those two rides at MK, how hard it will be to get fast passes for other rides.

Just trying to get a feel for what other people think about or may be doing next year!

Last edited:
I'm not pushing off my 2020 trip. Maybe one and done people or once in a decade people might shift to later, but I'm in an every other year pattern.

We only go every 3 years or so, so next year is a tough pill to swallow.

Although when we go in 2023 it will be better.

We go every year and have since 2002 with the exception of one year because of a surgery. EPCOT is still my favorite park and we will be going for Food & Wine in 2020 so we are fine with whatever comes about. I could care less about Star Wars land in Studios but DH wants to see it so we will have to allow one full day at Studios this time. Love Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom—always 2 day parks for us. Our vacations have become a little more relaxed the last couple of years so we did sleep in more this trip. It was nice.

We’re going this fall and next spring, for better or worse! Our next trip likely won’t be until 2023 or so.

I don’t mind going the year before so much opens. I kind of prefer it, makes planning easier lol. I hope Epcot is not too much of a wreck, and that we end up being okay with the Jungle Cruise/Thunder Mountain refurbs. I’m most bummed that the runaway railway is opening so late.

I think a lot of people WILL plan around it, which means you might have amazing crowd levels. :-)
If there's construction, I actually look for rooms at that resort, lol... great deals to be had. There is so much to do, that even if a park isn't worth a whole day, there's plenty of other stuff at WDW, Universal, SW, Lego, etc... it's still worth it to me. You'll know by trip time what to expect and can adjust accordingly.

That being said... since you are once every 3 years, can you push it to late 2020 or maybe just push your next trip to 2021 and resume your schedule? Is May the only option?

I don't expect many people to change their plans as there will always be construction no matter when you decide to visit
That is so true. Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios were a mess for the past few years during their big upgrades. I hated all the construction walls... especially at AK. Now it's so beautiful... and it is EPCOT's turn. Every visit something is new, something is closed, construction is going on somewhere. It's the "circle of life"!

I think a lot of people WILL plan around it, which means you might have amazing crowd levels. :-)
If there's construction, I actually look for rooms at that resort, lol... great deals to be had. There is so much to do, that even if a park isn't worth a whole day, there's plenty of other stuff at WDW, Universal, SW, Lego, etc... it's still worth it to me. You'll know by trip time what to expect and can adjust accordingly.

That being said... since you are once every 3 years, can you push it to late 2020 or maybe just push your next trip to 2021 and resume your schedule? Is May the only option?

I love your first sentence! ;)

May it is due to work.

Now we have some personal stuff going on that may force us to move trip, but hoping against hope that turns out to be okay because it has to do with one of our kitties. :(

Last edited:
I personally would change because we only go every 3 years or so. So when we go we don’t want too much shut down. I wanted to go in 2021 but looking at 2022 or 2023 now. Mostly due to construction and 50th crowds and DS will be graduating college around 2022/2023 so it makes sense to just do a big grad trip instead.

We are booked to go April 2020 but second guessing. When and for how long are Big Thunder and Jungle Cruise expected to be down?

I don't expect many people to change their plans as there will always be construction no matter when you decide to visit

I do not agree. Starting October 2021 everything is going to be primarily complete for the 50th anniversary and most construction would be to net adds to the park not refurbs of existing attractions.

We're probably not going to go to WDW in 2020. I'm about to do a quick solo trip to pick up gear before our APs expire and check out SWGE. We are going to go to WDL instead in 2020 and wait out the construction and then go for the 50th anniversary.
One thing that might change these plans is if we buy DVC. That may have us go in late 2020 (Oct-Dec) but I suspect we'd still push to early 2021.

We’re probably going March 2020. I don’t know whether to go to Epcot - all this new stuff is giving me a headache, or maybe I’m just overreacting. I like to plan when the stuff’s already there and there’s not so much uncertainty and a lack of knowledge.

We go about every 18 months. Every time we’ve gone there’s been some construction, it doesn’t really sway us in putting off a trip. Sometimes a lot of our favorites are down ( October 2016) rock n roller, thunder mountain and dinosaur were all down. But we still had an amazing trip. Looking forward to our January 2020 trip...any day in Disney I’ll take over a non Disney day!

We are going this December, and keeping our fingers crossed most of the park will still be open (I'm looking at you Spaceship Earth! :)). Our next trip is scheduled for December 2021, so hopefully we'll miss most of the mess!

Just cancelled our summer 2020 Disney trip. It would have been our granddaughter’s first and possibly only Disney trip and I don’t want to have to deal with all the park construction projects and refurbishments. I am glad they are being done but I think we will hold off until 2022 or 2023 when all the sprucing up and 50th celebration is over. I know there is always something being built but hopefully by then the current parks will be spruced and projects under construction will be new things not impacting the current parks as much.
DH and I are excited about our trip in a few weeks. Since it’s been 30 years since our vis it we have so much to see!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!