Epcot Construction - anyone changing plans for 2020? Changing the way you visit parks?

As someone who doesn’t go often and has to really scrimp and save we are seriously thinking about canceling our 2020 trip. Epcot is my son’s favorite park and there is just too much construction to make it fun. Also I would rather wait and have all the new rides open as I probably won’t go back for a very long time due to the cost. My niece graduates HS in 2022 and this would make a nice trip. Still in family discussions so we wil see.

We are going in April 2020, spending 1/2 day at EPCOT to do FEA,Soar'in, TT. probably spending that morning at HS and hoping to get 4th, 5th... FP+ for those or do standby. That strategy is not etched in stone right now.

Thanks for your thoughts and plans everyone! As others have said, we spend most of time in World Showcase at Epcot and all the rides will be open except Spaceship Earth (my heart breaks :( ) so our touring style shouldn't change too much there.

The plan is that we are still going and will have a great time! This trip is more tenuous than normal due to unexpected, large vet bills, but if things stay status quo, I see no reason to cancel (well postpone) it!

Fingers crossed for my kitties!

We pushed our “every 5 years” trip from oct 2018 to late sept/early oct 2021. We are planning to be on property for Oct 1 2021. No idea what, if anything, might be planned on the actual day, but it might be fun to find out.

Had not read about Jungle Cruise and BTMRR down for rehab. We only have a short trip in April 2020, so doesn't change anything.

All that stuff doesn't alter plans much for me. One exception to that is that I will probably spend less time and money at Epcot since the construction looks to be very extensive. It's not exactly my favorite park anyway

We’re going the 2 weeks after thanksgiving (our yearly trip). My favorite park is Epcot and I’m nervous to see how it’s going to be. We usually do 2 full days and one or two evenings there each trip, I may cut that down this year. Gonna miss club cool the most I think

It's not the same as Club Cool since it's not free, but the rooftop bar on top of the Coca-Cola at Disney Springs has (IIRC) most of the Club Cool drinks (and then some) available for purchase if there's something specific that you miss. They also do flights, and both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails if that's your thing.

That's one of my must-do things anytime I'm at Disney Springs... gotta get me some Fanta Melon Frosty. :teeth: (They really ought to sell that in the US...)

No, because even though I love Epcot I am not putting off an entire 6-day trip (late April 2020) to my favorite place ever just because one park is going to be construction-wall city!

You're right that it will change the way I visit. I'll hit up Test Track single-rider like usual, and then ride LwTL, but after that I'll be done with Future World and off to World Showcase. I won't be taking time out for multiple rides on SSE (unless it's miraculously still open), Fountain of Nations, Club Cool, chilling in the super blast Innoventions AC....all of those things that I'm sure 95% of people don't care about, but were staples of an Epcot trip for me.

So yeah. It makes me sad that my favorite park atmosphere will be no more, but I'll just make up for it with more time in World Showcase and more time in other parks. It will be really cool to be back in Epcot when everything's done and ready though!

I just watched a vlog on the current Food and Wine festival and I was really shocked at all of the walls that are up at the moment. I know that Disney is trying to get everything spit-spot and ship-shape in time for the big anniversary... but, wow.

Well it has effected us a bit. I have changed the dates for trip #6 from Feb 2020 to May 2021. Gives them a lot more time to finish up some stuff the girls want. It also gives me a bit more time for saving. The girls want The Poly for 10 days (OUCH).

We are booked for May 2020 and the changes won't really affect me this time because I am taking my elderly mom. She would love to do Soarin and the Land in Future World, but we will concentrate on World Showcase and Flower and Garden. I hope Spaceship Earth will still be open as this is one of mom's favorites. Had this been a year that she wouldn't be going, I might feel differently!

We are doing Thanksgiving 2020. It has been a couple of years since we have done a big trip, so we havent seen Toy Story Land or SWGE. Room rates are decent for that time, and by then SWGE will be well established. We plan to go back after all the 50th hoopla is over. Its going to be insanely crowded once everything for the 50th opens. We would rather go ahead of the craziness and see the new to us stuff, then wait for crowds to die back again. We have been enough at this point that fighting massive crowds over the latest stuff doesn't appeal.

Well it has effected us a bit. I have changed the dates for trip #6 from Feb 2020 to May 2021. Gives them a lot more time to finish up some stuff the girls want. It also gives me a bit more time for saving. The girls want The Poly for 10 days (OUCH).
I wouldn't count on stuff being done then. The finish dates for most things are more like Nov 2021

I wouldn't count on stuff being done then. The finish dates for most things are more like Nov 2021
Thanks for the info I wasn't counting on everything being done but even at the snails pace that Disney construction takes they should have a lot done.

Thanks for the info I wasn't counting on everything being done but even at the snails pace that Disney construction takes they should have a lot done.
I hope so, but I am seeing some chatter about trying to hold everything for the 50th.

Going in May 2 to 11 as well. Six days WDW, 3 days Universal. Not cancelling. Maybe crowds will be better.

We were planning on going December 2020 but postponing until 2021. We’re DVC but this next trip we were going to take my parents for their once in a lifetime trip; so figured may as well wait until anniversary when everything is ready for celebration. If it was just us we’d go still in 2020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter