Epcot Construction Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it that expensive though if they already have the building there? I thought it was basically like the roof of the building.

I mean I know its expensive but in comparison to the other things happening though is it that expensive?

I wonder though if they cut it because they are unsure if they would fill it up in the next 5 years anyways. Plus since its on the "roof" its out of the way construction in the future that could be done whenever likely.

I don't know exactly what the price difference would be, of course, but assuming those were all meant to be live plants, to built a roof strong enough to support enough soil for all the plants plus the weight of those trees throughout their entire life cycle, I think it would be a really significant amount of extra engineering. Most roofs are designed to hold a load of only a couple people for maintenance purposes, especially in Florida where snow load isn't a concern. So the extra weight of having the roof as a usable area for lots of people, plus the soil and trees, plus calculating wind loads and other elements related to the trees (which is not a standard thing to account for, so that's probably a lot of extra design work to analyze). So, yeah, even if they build the rest of the structure as originally designed, the garden on top seems like a lot of money right off the bat, so even before the pandemic I assumed from the start they would end up scaling the building down to something simpler to save costs, sadly.

I am interested to see if Mary Poppins ever comes back. I was not totally on board like some others. Hopefully with time they realize they should do more of an attraction instead of a carousel.

Some will say its better than nothing. My thought is once they build it then its not going anywhere for 50 years so rather see it have a chance at something more and leave the carousel exclusive to Fantasyland.

I am interested to see if Mary Poppins ever comes back. I was not totally on board like some others. Hopefully with time they realize they should do more of an attraction instead of a carousel.

Some will say its better than nothing. My thought is once they build it then its not going anywhere for 50 years so rather see it have a chance at something more and leave the carousel exclusive to Fantasyland.

I didn't think it was ever confirmed to be a carousel, just a "flat ride". Personally, I was actually hoping for something like Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters at DL with carousel horse vehicles that start out in the circle like a standard carousel, but then break away and "run off" like they do in the first film. But the teaser images they used in the Epcot Experience room seemed to be based off the newer movie, so I don't think they would have used the carousel theme anyway. And I guess it's a moot point now anyway.

I too am cautiously optimistic that Mary Poppins will will be back and will get the attraction it deserves.

Does anyone know if the Moana water attraction is still at Epcot Experience?

Obviously a lot can still change but I think it’s more “Safe” due to its not a big expensive new thing.

Yeah. This is not a major expense and the land is already cleared, right? I figure stuff that is started will contiune. It's the stuff that hasn't that is on the chopping block. They will probably put something in where Festival Center was to be, but I bet it won't be as fancy.

I don't know exactly what the price difference would be, of course, but assuming those were all meant to be live plants, to built a roof strong enough to support enough soil for all the plants plus the weight of those trees throughout their entire life cycle, I think it would be a really significant amount of extra engineering. Most roofs are designed to hold a load of only a couple people for maintenance purposes, especially in Florida where snow load isn't a concern. So the extra weight of having the roof as a usable area for lots of people, plus the soil and trees, plus calculating wind loads and other elements related to the trees (which is not a standard thing to account for, so that's probably a lot of extra design work to analyze). So, yeah, even if they build the rest of the structure as originally designed, the garden on top seems like a lot of money right off the bat, so even before the pandemic I assumed from the start they would end up scaling the building down to something simpler to save costs, sadly.
The weight of planters capable or supporting trees the size the show in the conceptual drawings really can't be understated - it's massive! Add to that, planters like that are notorious for leaking onto whatever is underneath them. This is Disney though - no doubt they could do "Pandora" trees that would be similar and you'd never know the difference. It takes up a pretty substantial piece of real estate, and wouldn't really generate much interest or revenue. That would put it on the back burner planning-wise alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter