EPCOT refresh end of corporate sponsorship?

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
Just wondering out loud. Disney has had a harder and harder time attracting sponsors for it's rides and attractions of late. Additionally, there are too many hassles with sponsors and the lack of control Disney has over the pavilion / ride.

From everything I have heard, most of the financing for the EPCOT overhaul is coming from Disney's own coffers.

Is this the end for corporate sponsorship at EPCOT? Is it (mostly) gone from the other parks now? Besides EPCOT, what's left that largely visible (I am not talking about sponsoring breakfast, or being the official soft drink. I am more talking about sponsoring a ride / pavilion / experience / etc. For example the Coke Club Cool counts)?

Companies don't want to invest in theme park attractions much at all. There are still some that do though.

I don't think Coke is a great example though because they still have such a huge presence with the Disney company.

The short answer to your question is: Yes. However, I doubt that Disney would refuse future sponsorships if offered. Nor do I think that they'll likely kick GM to the curb. As for HP, given the attraction's lack of wide popularity, I can see them riding off into the sunset after their contract is up. Perhaps Brazil, if ever announced, would agree to pony up for their rumored pavilion, but that's likely it for the future.

The problem is that the old model just doesn't work anymore. Companies have so many more options to promote themselves to potential customers. It's said that the Internet is largely what killed Innoventions, and I think there's a lot of truth to that. If you're a company like Lutron, Whirlpool, IBM, etc., you can use the Internet to attract a whole lot more eyeballs to your products than a booth at Epcot.

I believe the HP sponsorship has already ended.
When HP split into HPI and HPE, HPE got the Mission Space Ride sponsorship and the Red Planet room. (I was in email contact with the person working in the room, and she was being assigned to HPE).
HPE since split into multiple companies.

The most current information, I can find, shows SpaceX as the sponsor.

As an HPI Retiree I am able to still get the Disney Corporate Partner discount, and the page states that this is due to HPs partnership on the development of the Mission Space Ride.
The HPI retiree website currently states that HPI retirees have access to the Red Planet Room. But I am guessing that this information is out of date.

I can confirm that the HPE has closed the Red Planet room at Mission: Space. They vacated the area on July 31, 2019.

However, they still have a corporate relationship with Disney, and a new lounge on property.

Do you have to be a retiree or can former employees get access? I still receive my employee pricing on PC's, etc.

Do you have to be a retiree or can former employees get access? I still receive my employee pricing on PC's, etc.
I'm unsure. I sent an email to site coordinator asking whether both HPI employees and/or retirees can access.

1) The difficulty is getting/retaining corporate sponsorship is not a new problem for Disney.
2) Major sponsors have been leaving or avoiding Disney for a long time.
3) ONCE, people would associate with the sponsor through the Disney Experience.
4) But, as Disney reduces the experience and attendance continues to ebb, sponsors see little value. **
. . . Disney Parks USED TO have such a warm and welcoming atmosphere and reputation
. . . Going was like to going to a family member's house
. . . Through cost-cutting and lack of attention, the reputation has wained
. . . Disney Parks are now thought of as a Corporate Entity and not a member of OUR family **
. . . Just because people see a corporate name at Disney, it does not mean more corporate revenue

** NOTE:
. . . We will not venture into the realm of the lack of attention-kindness- toward guests
. . . This would be a good topic, but as long as Ogre gets his bonuses, DIS/ABC won't care
. . . And, any complaints would be considered nothing more than venting (by a few)

1) The difficulty is getting/retaining corporate sponsorship is not a new problem for Disney.
2) Major sponsors have been leaving or avoiding Disney for a long time.
3) ONCE, people would associate with the sponsor through the Disney Experience.
4) But, as Disney reduces the experience and attendance continues to ebb, sponsors see little value. **
. . . Disney Parks USED TO have such a warm and welcoming atmosphere and reputation
. . . Going was like to going to a family member's house
. . . Through cost-cutting and lack of attention, the reputation has wained
. . . Disney Parks are now thought of as a Corporate Entity and not a member of OUR family **
. . . Just because people see a corporate name at Disney, it does not mean more corporate revenue

** NOTE:
. . . We will not venture into the realm of the lack of attention-kindness- toward guests
. . . This would be a good topic, but as long as Ogre gets his bonuses, DIS/ABC won't care
. . . And, any complaints would be considered nothing more than venting (by a few)
To many including myself Disney still does have a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Unless something has changed recently, I know Alamo still sponsors the Peoplemover. Their name is still under the sign before you go up the ramp. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

Unless something has changed recently, I know Alamo still sponsors the Peoplemover. Their name is still under the sign before you go up the ramp. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
Did Chevrolet stop it's sponsorship of Test Track? Last time I was there (fall 2018), they still had a showroom when exiting the ride.

As others have mentioned above the main issue with Disney attaining sponsorship nowadays is due to expansion of the internet and how we communicate with the world, there being other ways to advertise and promote their brand which are probably less costly, and have more control for themselves.

There was once was a time when GE demanded Disney to move Carousel of Progress to WDW due to the fact that WDW was a place of all kinds of people would travel all over to see as opposed to Disneyland which was/is considered a "local park", then asked for them to write a new song since they want people to not wait until tomorrow, but want them to buy their products now, hence the song shortly for CoP became "Now Is The Time". All these are irrelevant today, as people all over the world can get access to seeing / getting anything from home, as well as companies barely use jingles, or subliminal suggestion anymore.

In the end, GE eventually ended sponsorship with Disney in the 90's. Which I'm sure is a combination of all the reasons I mentioned previously (communication started to be easier, cheaper advertising, wanting more control), as well as probably realizing that regardless of whether it was less, or more to use CoP for promotion they probably didn't think it was worth it in the end and noticed there wasn't a boost in business with, or without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter