• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Epi Pens

sjh801

Guess who's thinking Disney???
Are there any restrictions on carrying Epi Pens in carryon luggage? Has 9-11 had an effect on this?

Sjh801:earsgirl:

I carried an epi-pen in my purse in January, they searched just my purse after it went through the security x-ray machine. No questions or problems and it only took a few moments extra.

I just got back a few days ago and had an epi-pen in my carry on. I didn't have any problems. They didn't even question it - which I am not necessarily sure if that is a good thing or not!

Lisa

You might also want to check with your airline. It seems to be an vhanging thing. When I looked at NW's web site in February, it said that you should bring a physician's letter or prescription for syringes (which doesn't mention injection devices, like an epi pen, but probably includes them), now it says:
I am a diabetic and use insulin kits that contain syringes. Can I bring syringes (needles)?
Yes. Needles and syringes are permitted if the passenger also has in their possession medication that has a professionally printed label identifying the medication or a manufacturer's name or pharmaceutical label. We recommend that all medicine be carried on-board, in carry-on luggage, never in checked luggage.

What about medicine?
Yes. Medical documentation and doctors' letters are not required to bring medicine, but it is strongly recommended that you bring your doctor's prescription with you just in case security personnel have questions.

I couldn't open the list, but the new website of the Travel Safety Administration has a list of do's and don't that leads to extra information about travel for people with disabilities, which is where I would expect to find the most recent guidelines for medications and injection devices.

I carried on 5 epi-pens, no one asked me for anything. When I had booked with the airline (Delta) I had asked them about that and they told me I needed a doctors note to bring them on board. Just a phone call to the doctor and a generic letter was sent out to me. Better to have that letter just in case.

I had two with me and a note, get a note Orlando Airport gave me a hard time and told me to keep that note out and the looked over it took the epi-pens out of the box with prescription on it and the note called other people over and then let me go through and these were Jr Epi Pens, I will be getting another note when we go in November.

Shelby, when did you fly? I read that some people did have problems in the Fall, but that now most airline people are aware of them.

This is what the website of the travel safety admin. says you can carry on:

-Diabetes-related supplies/equipment (syringes, insulin, insulin-pump, blood glucose meter, etc. Medication and professionally printed label identifying medication or manufacturer’s name). Please make sure insulin (vials or outer box of individual doses), jet injectors, pens, infusers, and preloaded syringes are marked properly (professionally printed label identifying the medication or manufacturer’s name or pharmaceutical label).

I believe all of the above refers to diabetes supplies & not all medications in prefilled syringes. But a Dr. note should make everything go smoothly.

Here is a sample letter:

Sample Letter for Carrying Self-Injectable Epinephrine Aboard Commercial Airplanes

DATE

To Whom it May Concern:

PATIENT FULL NAME is a AGE/GENDER who suffers from a life-threatening allergy to SPECIFIC ALLERGENS LISTED. This is a severe allergic reaction that makes it medically necessary for HIM/HER to carry an antihistamine and EpiPen®, which is an autoinjector of epinephrine, at all times. EpiPen® autoinjectors are prescribed by a licensed medical professional. PATIENT NAME should have this life-saving medication with HIM/HER at all times, especially during times of travel away from home. In the event of an exposure to even a minute amount of ALLERGEN a severe allergic reaction may occur. Every minute is critical in using this medication to treat the allergic reaction and to prevent a life-threatening reaction. Use of the EpiPen® can be life saving. Please allow PATIENT NAME to have the EpiPen®(s) with HIM/HER on board the airplane.

{{SUGGESTED TEXT FOR ASTHMATICS}}

PATIENT NAME is also asthmatic and requires the use of an albuterol inhaler in the event of an asthma attack or allergic reaction. Please allow PATIENT NAME to carry HIS/HER albuterol inhaler on board the airplane. Additional information may be obtained from PHYSICIAN NAME at PHONE or FAX.

Respectfully signed,

____________________________________________, M.D.

I am so grateful for the DIS boards as I would have had NO idea that my son's Epipen may have been a potential problem for us at the airports! I traveled to Puerto Rico in February with his Epipen in his diaper bag--no one questioned. Rather than take chances I will have his doctor write a note.

Thanks all!
Dawn
NJ

Before our December trip I called USAir regarding regular prescriptions and was told all prescriptions were to be in their original bottles. I asked at the security checkpoint at the airport, they told me that wasn't necessary,you could use those pill organizers. I didn't take any chances, I still put them in the original bottles for our trip earlier this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter