ESA issue

If the dog is going to be in the crate, roommate needs to train it to be in the crate so really roommate is doing the right thing. If she takes puppy out of the crate when it's crying, it will learn to cry to get out of the crate. Unfortunately, they all need to live with the noise.for a few days for it to work in the long run.

... Says someone who caved and took the dog out of the crate. Said dog will now not be in the crate or even the other room or another floor when people are in the house. Dog is rarely more than 3 feet from me. I think I'm his ESP. 😂
That’s what I was thinking & if she’s doing it right, she’s right, it shouldn’t last more than a few days.

So, the first week of classes is coming to an end. The puppy is being well cared for, however, not just by the roommate. She is having friends come walk him or sit with him while she's out. Which is a good thing, as I'm glad he's not being neglected. BUT, she's not telling the other girls when these people are coming and going or who they are. They'll walk out of their rooms and, oh, there's a complete stranger in my house!! WTH?!? Who does that? She is not communicating with them at all. They plan to talk to her tonight. And ask her for a run down of her schedule and when they might expect to see random people in their apartment, and who these people are. If she doesn't comply, they will complain to the leasing office. And, is she giving all these people keys?? :mad:

Oh thanks for the update.

At least the dog isn't being neglected. But man what another can of worms. Hopefully they can work it out. I would not be comfortable with unknown numbers of people having access to the apartment. Are the individual bedroom doors lockable?

The hubris of some people is disgusting. It does sound like she is giving these people a key. Now that is no longer a safe place for the other girls, IMO. I would go to the leasing office with this. I would hate for your daughter and the other roommate to have to deal with someone either stealing, vandalizing, or hurting them. I can easily see someone going through their stuff and taking something.

Oh thanks for the update.

At least the dog isn't being neglected. But man what another can of worms. Hopefully they can work it out. I would not be comfortable with unknown numbers of people having access to the apartment. Are the individual bedroom doors lockable?

Their bedroom doors are only lockable from the inside.

Yeah OP that just reminds me of the type of people who have their significant others just basically stay over. Sometimes people are just not considerate of other people in that respect. Those people are better off living alone when they don't have to worry about someone else's feelings on people just coming and going and having access to their home, regardless of who the people are and why they are there because it's just as possible that instead of it being for a dog it would be a signficant other.

Yeah OP that just reminds me of the type of people who have their significant others just basically stay over. Sometimes people are just not considerate of other people in that respect. Those people are better off living alone when they don't have to worry about someone else's feelings on people just coming and going and having access to their home, regardless of who the people are and why they are there because it's just as possible that instead of it being for a dog it would be a signficant other.

At least if it was a significant other it would (hopefully) be just one! DD and the other two roommates have seen at least 3 different strangers in their apartment. And a SO would (again, hopefully) only be there with their girlfriend. These people are there when she's not.

At least if it was a significant other it would (hopefully) be just one! DD and the other two roommates have seen at least 3 different strangers in their apartment. And a SO would (again, hopefully) only be there with their girlfriend. These people are there when she's not.
lol true but with significant others they don't often go away and tend to assimilate themselves as an ever presence in the apartment and good luck getting a roommate to agree to not have that signifcant other around the apartment less--tends to not end well lol. And normally the person isn't all about permission either.

My sister-in-law lived with my husband during college (she was a year younger than him and he's a year younger than me) and she had a boyfriend that would come over all the time and make special brownies..lovely.

One of my roommates I had couldn't give her boyfriend a key because they were electronic keys only 1 per person but he would stay there all the time, play video games in the common area and wait for her to get back from classes. Rinse, lather, repeat for months on end. And he was contributing to our capped amount on electricity costs causing the two of us other roommates to have to pay more in electricity costs since electricity was capped being paid for by the apartment complex and any excess was split amongst the roommates in the apartment.

I was more or less saying people who just open up their apartments like that are the type of people who don't seem to consider the respect of others unfortunately.

This roommate just sounds like trouble. I do hope that next year the girls don't plan on renting with her.

She is beyond inconsiderate! DD is graduating in May, and the other two have made other arrangements. Roommate told them, when she sprung this on them right after Thanksgiving, that her roommates for next year are "cool with it"! So she talked to her future roommates about the dog, before her CURRENT roommates!

She is beyond inconsiderate! DD is graduating in May, and the other two have made other arrangements. Roommate told them, when she sprung this on them right after Thanksgiving, that her roommates for next year are "cool with it"! So she talked to her future roommates about the dog, before her CURRENT roommates!

My kids have had some nightmare roommates but wow this girl really is the definition of a terrible roommate. Glad your daughter only has a few more months of dealing with this.

So, the first week of classes is coming to an end. The puppy is being well cared for, however, not just by the roommate. She is having friends come walk him or sit with him while she's out. Which is a good thing, as I'm glad he's not being neglected. BUT, she's not telling the other girls when these people are coming and going or who they are. They'll walk out of their rooms and, oh, there's a complete stranger in my house!! WTH?!? Who does that? She is not communicating with them at all. They plan to talk to her tonight. And ask her for a run down of her schedule and when they might expect to see random people in their apartment, and who these people are. If she doesn't comply, they will complain to the leasing office. And, is she giving all these people keys?? :mad:

This young woman is ridiculous. IF she really does have anxiety problems, it's no wonder. She doesn't know how to get along with people. :sad2:

All the other roommates need to go to Home Depot or Lowes and just buy sets of these exterior door knob locks for each of their bedrooms. Buy them all at once, and simply hand her the receipt. Have the building superintendent install them. Also hand her the bill for how much it cost to have him install them along with the lock. No discussion, just collectively put on the locks. They all should be able to have a reasonable expectation of safety and privacy. If she can't understand that, she has more problems than a dog will solve. :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be much work to install the locks. These types of door knobs are universal. He just has to take off the old ones and slide in the new. The holes for it should be the same. The salesperson at Home Depot can help the girls get the right ones with a keyed lock on one side and a knob to turn on the inside. It needs to be the kind where someone can't slip in a credit card or hotel key in the door jamb and be able to push the door open. So no simple "bathroom door" or interior lock. They don't have to be expensive since the locks aren't going to outside doors. But, they want to have a reasonable lock to keep people out and their belonging safe inside an apartment. A decent one will run about $20. A pick-proof one will be more, like about $40. Considering there will be people who may just be sitting around for hours, they may try picking a lock, since there will be no witnesses around. Something to think about.

honeywell-entry-door-knobs-8102301-64_1000.jpg

This young woman is ridiculous. IF she really does have anxiety problems, it's no wonder. She doesn't know how to get along with people. :sad2:

All the other roommates need to go to Home Depot or Lowes and just buy sets of these exterior door knob locks for each of their bedrooms. Buy them all at once, and simply hand her the receipt. Have the building superintendent install them. Also hand her the bill for how much it cost to have him install them along with the lock. No discussion, just collectively put on the locks. They all should be able to have a reasonable expectation of safety and privacy. If she can't understand that, she has more problems than a dog will solve. :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be much work to install the locks. These types of door knobs are universal. He just has to take off the old ones and slide in the new. The holes for it should be the same. The salesperson at Home Depot can help the girls get the right ones with a keyed lock on one side and a knob to turn on the inside. It needs to be the kind where someone can't slip in a credit card or hotel key in the door jamb and be able to push the door open. So no simple "bathroom door" or interior lock. They don't have to be expensive since the locks aren't going to outside doors. But, they want to have a reasonable lock to keep people out and their belonging safe inside an apartment. A decent one will run about $20. A pick-proof one will be more, like about $40. Considering there will be people who may just be sitting around for hours, they may try picking a lock, since there will be no witnesses around. Something to think about.

honeywell-entry-door-knobs-8102301-64_1000.jpg
It should be worth noting it's usually a very big huge no no to go changing things out on rental properties. Given that this is an apartment complex I highly doubt one would want to take the chance of tampering with property that isn't theirs.

If there are concerns the OP's daughter and roommates should be going to the complex first to discuss.

It should be worth noting it's usually a very big huge no no to go changing things out on rental properties. Given that this is an apartment complex I highly doubt one would want to take the chance of tampering with property that isn't theirs.

If there are concerns the OP's daughter and roommates should be going to the complex first to discuss.

These types of locks are usually universal. No extra drilling or new holes. So, it would be easy to swap out and put the old door knobs back in when they leave. But, yes, they should talk to management first.

These types of locks are usually universal. No extra drilling or new holes. So, it would be easy to swap out and put the old door knobs back in when they leave. But, yes, they should talk to management first.
It's not just about drilling holes or whatnot, think about access to the apartment by the workers in the complex, etc.

You're usually prohibited from switching things out like that, a showerhead where you replace the new with the old when you leave no biggie but a lock? Yeah much different. But for sure def. run that past management before even really considering it at least IMO we totally agree on that :)

It's not just about drilling holes or whatnot, think about access to the apartment by the workers in the complex, etc.

You're usually prohibited from switching things out like that, a showerhead where you replace the new with the old when you leave no biggie but a lock? Yeah much different. But for sure def. run that past management before even really considering it at least IMO we totally agree on that :)

I said very clearly in my first post on this, "Have the building superintendent install them." Since he works FOR the building management, he would go through the proper channels to make sure he got approval before installing the new locks. He'd probably require a copy of all keys so he or management could get in, AND he'd keep the old locks, so he could just put them all back in once the girls moved.

I said very clearly in my first post on this, "Have the building superintendent install them." Since he works FOR the building management, he would go through the proper channels to make sure he got approval before installing the new locks. He'd probably require a copy of all keys so he or management could get in, AND he'd keep the old locks, so he could just put them all back in once the girls moved.
Yes apologies I did miss having the super install it :) but given that it's an apartment complex where it's typically far more transient that's a lot of extra work involved and it's probably something I would look in my lease for rules regarding it and would talk to them first before even thinking about it.

I could see that more feasible for a house where the landlord could discuss it but I know when I lived in apartment complexes there were a lot of people who needed access to the apartment be it maintenance not only for repairs but also things like replacing HVAC filters (just using my experience), be it the leasing agents (especially if they were showing the apartment for future tenants), be it pest control, carpet replacement, etc. And those were multiple people not just one person having to be responsible for a temporary lock and key set.

I do see your line of thinking though I think it'd probably be easier to just have the management office deal with the situation in so much that the roommate could be violating the terms of the lease by giving keys out (and assuming she may be duplicating the keys that also may be against lease terms) and the ESA in terms of being a nuisance (though not sure if enough time has reasonably been given for that).

Anyways I get where you were coming from :)

When my kids have been in college rentals they have always had individual locks on the doors even in off campus rentals. Places that have a lot of college students this is the norm. My son's last apartments with roommates was in no way linked to the college, just very close to the campus. Each room had a keyed lock on the door. They were used to students renting. It's certainly an option if she talks to management.

When my kids have been in college rentals they have always had individual locks on the doors even in off campus rentals. Places that have a lot of college students this is the norm. My son's last apartments with roommates was in no way linked to the college, just very close to the campus. Each room had a keyed lock on the door. They were used to students renting. It's certainly an option if she talks to management.
Yes but talk to management before even looking into it was more what I was thinking :) Plus doing it without the authorization nor discussion of the other roommate and just handing her the bill...if we want the situation to become better I don't know that that's the route to go..the roommate in question is already doing things without the other roommates authorization if it were me I wouldn't go down that route of doing it back to that roommate I would go the route of the apartment complex and letting them handle it.

Going through the discussion with Home Depot, looking into the costs of it all before even discussing the issue, which is the roommate having people come into the apartment like that, is like putting the cart before the horse, not that it's not something that physically couldn't be done--just being more cautious about leasing rules. And I'm not talking about college rentals, I was talking about apartment complexes in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter