ESA issue

It's easier to just buy a small safe that can be locked, and put valuables in there. I mean, let's be honest, how many valuables do most college students own anyway? I expect when they are not at home, they have their cell phone, laptop/tablet, etc with them.

I'll start by saying in general I don't know that an ESA for a college student is a good idea, and an untrained husky puppy in a small apartment is not the right fit. However I've learned to never say never and none of us know the girl well enough to pass judgement as to what she may need for her mental health.

It seems to me the latest bit of news is an indirect consequence of the "roommate agreement." The other roommates don't want the dog and made it clear they would refuse to help in any way. Instead of the expected consequence (that she give up the idea of having a dog), it backfired and she has found other friends who are willing to help her. It actually leads more credence to her claim of needing some form of "support" since she is willing to go to all this effort and others are willing to help her. I still don't think she handled the situation well and the animal she picked is not correct for her living situation. But I do think this girl must be struggling with some issues and she either didn't share her challenges with her roommates early in the semester, or the roommates may have turned a blind eye. Her other friends are willing to step up and help, which also makes me wonder how close the roommates were to begin with. When I was in college, by the time you were getting an off-campus apartment it was usually with friends or those you knew quite well even if you didn't hang out together all the time.

It sounds like there has definitely been a lack of communication between all the roommates. It's a good lesson for all involved to consider the impact their own actions and decisions may have on others - especially others with whom they share living arrangements.

I just discovered this thread and am fascinated.

OP, how did the weekend go?

The weekend was okay. Roommate did agree to let the others know from now on, when there would be strangers in the apartment.

I'll start by saying in general I don't know that an ESA for a college student is a good idea, and an untrained husky puppy in a small apartment is not the right fit. However I've learned to never say never and none of us know the girl well enough to pass judgement as to what she may need for her mental health.

It seems to me the latest bit of news is an indirect consequence of the "roommate agreement." The other roommates don't want the dog and made it clear they would refuse to help in any way. Instead of the expected consequence (that she give up the idea of having a dog), it backfired and she has found other friends who are willing to help her. It actually leads more credence to her claim of needing some form of "support" since she is willing to go to all this effort and others are willing to help her. I still don't think she handled the situation well and the animal she picked is not correct for her living situation. But I do think this girl must be struggling with some issues and she either didn't share her challenges with her roommates early in the semester, or the roommates may have turned a blind eye. Her other friends are willing to step up and help, which also makes me wonder how close the roommates were to begin with. When I was in college, by the time you were getting an off-campus apartment it was usually with friends or those you knew quite well even if you didn't hang out together all the time.

It sounds like there has definitely been a lack of communication between all the roommates. It's a good lesson for all involved to consider the impact their own actions and decisions may have on others - especially others with whom they share living arrangements.

I believe roommate wanted a husky puppy and this was the way she bent the rules to get it. Could I swear to it? No. But I believe that more than I believe she needs it for emotional support. She's hardly with the pup. She had neighbors, whom she met in the parking lot the night before, puppysit for her on Saturday for 10 hours!

And they were never really friends to begin with. DD and another roommate lived there with two others last school year. One graduated and the other moved to his fraternity house, so they advertised for two new roommates. After meeting with a few, they picked these two. One has turned out to be great. The other, not so much.

Is she paying these petsitters? What kind of college student has money for that? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to be around a pet for a few hours.

Is she paying these petsitters? What kind of college student has money for that? Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to be around a pet for a few hours.

I don't know. DD says she complains a lot about not having money. But I can't see people doing this for free for very long.

I just came across this pic: :rotfl2:

ESA%2B-%2BNOT.jpg

I used to show miniature horses, at one point my mother & I had well over 35 horses (AMHA and a few R for those who care) and I would never, ever have brought them in the house, much less a plane.

Back over Christmas break (I think), DD had to go somewhere and she arranged for DS's GF to dog sit and play with the dog. DS made the comment that his GF was his sister's Emotional Support Animal's Emotional Support Human.

Things could be worse. DD said she rarely sees the puppy. Roommate still has friends come by to walk or just hang out with him. They asked her to let them know when people would be there and she'll send them a text at like 2:25 saying, so-and-so will be there from 2:30 to 5 to watch my dog. Nice. Thanks for the five minutes notice!

Things could be worse. DD said she rarely sees the puppy. Roommate still has friends come by to walk or just hang out with him. They asked her to let them know when people would be there and she'll send them a text at like 2:25 saying, so-and-so will be there from 2:30 to 5 to watch my dog. Nice. Thanks for the five minutes notice!

:sad2:

Reminds me of the latest Domino's Pizza commercial out. Focus groups for the commercial said they really do want a GPS app that alerts them when the Domino's delivery guy is 2-6 minutes away, so they could put their pants on before he shows up. So one has been added.

Commercial features Broadway actor/singer from Hamilton, and former DWTS winner, Jordan Fisher:

How are the "friends" coming to care for the pup getting into the apartment? Is the dog owner giving the all copies of her key or just her key, which they return to her? How would the leasing company/ landlord feel about people not on the lease having copies of keys to the apartment? Is there something in the agreement that might cover this issue? If this has been answered I must of missed it? I've never lived in rented housing before, but I never had a key to my boyfriends rental house. He would lend me his, and I wasn't a stranger to his roommates.

How are the "friends" coming to care for the pup getting into the apartment? Is the dog owner giving the all copies of her key or just her key, which they return to her? How would the leasing company/ landlord feel about people not on the lease having copies of keys to the apartment? Is there something in the agreement that might cover this issue? If this has been answered I must of missed it? I've never lived in rented housing before, but I never had a key to my boyfriends rental house. He would lend me his, and I wasn't a stranger to his roommates.

They’re not sure. Sometimes the friends show up just as she’s leaving, so she lets them in, but other times they’re there and when the other roommates notice they’re not sure if she let them in and left or if they got in with a key??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter