Escape from the Country Bear Jamboree

Friday - 6/26/2015
Work Out: Week 2 Day 3 of Couch to 5k - Weight Lifting

Sorry this update is a day late! I was at my conference yesterday and didn't get home until almost midnight... so I totally passed out in bed without writing anything.

Overall pretty proud of getting up early at the hotel to work out. The hotel actually had a nice fitness room and nobody else was there, so I got my work out on before the conference.

Saturday - 6/27/2015
Work Out: 20 minute walk with dog

After traveling at the end of the week today was a nice day to get back to normal. The only oddity of today was randomly coming across an outdoor festival with EVERY TYPE OF FRIED CARNIVAL FOOD imaginable. Yes, we're talking about fried dough, French fries, and FRIED OREOS. Made it out without buying anything, but it was definitely a huge test of self discipline.

Sunday - 6/29/2015

Starting Weight: 324.2 lbs
Current Weight: 318.2 lbs
Sunday Check-In: -0.2 lbs
Total Loss: 6 lbs

Days to Disney: 80 Days

Progress toward first goal: 40% (Goal of 15 lbs by Disney trip)

Well...not super thrilled with this week's progress, but I didn't have the best week and if nothing else yay for not gaining any weight and being slightly lower. To sum up this past week:

Challenges:
  • Too many special events - we had a retirement party and two separate goodbye parties at work, all of which came with lots of appetizers and dessert foods. Will power was not super strong. :(
  • I went to a conference - this resulted in eating out for six meals along with numerous dunkin' donuts stops along the way.
Successes:
  • Maintained work out schedule and got all my work outs in.
  • Did not have any soda or other "drinkable" calories.
I think that one thing I really realized over the past week is that I really have to figure out how to handle special events/occasions, especially in the context of being with other people. I think that rationally I know what better choices I could have made at the parties and at the restaurants, but with a group of people ordering whatever they wanted...well I totally went along with it and made some pretty bad food choices. I think I just need to get it into my head that new restaurant does not equal "order whatever you want."

Lesson learned. On to the next week.

Happy Monday Marshall! Sorry you had a rough time last week-will power can be very hard to come by at times (especially when you are surrounded by all kind of goodies that taste so good but just aren't good for you-I hate that!)
But you accomplished a great deal, you're still getting out there exercising, you're keeping your journal updated and it sounds like you learned a lot too.
Keep it up Bear! And keep your spirits up too, you're getting there.

Skipping the fried oreos!! You get bonus points for that!! Don't be hard on yourself you are making progress even if it doesn't seem like much!

Eat before you go to the restaurant and then you will feel satisfied with ordering something light. Don't be afraid to ask if they can serve you an off menu appetizer or dish, or ask to have the unhealthy ingredients such as butter left off of the foods. Good luck! You can do this!

Tuesday - 6/30/2015
Work Out: 20 min walk with dog

Wednesday - 7/1/2015

Thursday - 7/2/2015
Work Out: C25K Week 3 Day 2

Friday - 7/3/2015

Saturday - 7/4/2015
Work Out: C25K Week 3 Day 3

Hi All! Sorry for the late journaling! This week was super crazy at work and really flew by! Overall got all the workouts in and didn't have any big food slip ups. It really helped to not eat out a lot, and the one meal I went out for (breakfast on Saturday morning), I ordered what I wanted but only ate half of it, so I didn't leave all sorts of stuffed.

Sunday - 7/5/2015

Starting Weight: 324.2 lbs
Current Weight: 314.8 lbs
Sunday Check-In: -3.4 lbs
Total Loss: 9.4 lbs

Days to Disney: 73 Days

Progress toward first goal: 62% (Goal of 15 lbs by Disney trip)

It feels good to be more on track this week than last week!

Successes:
  • Minimal eating out - only went out to eat once this week
  • Health substitutes - was totally craving some pizza this week so I made some at home using pita bread for the crust - MUCH healthier than the Pizza Hut delivery I wanted to do...and way less expensive.
  • Incorporated fish (salmon) into dinner menu
  • Still have not had soda or any drinkable calories
Challenges:
  • Still have not reached daily water drinking goals
  • Need to do better about setting up a regular weight lifting schedule

Fantastic job! The pita was a great idea. Do a little searching and you can find a variety of healthy veggie based pizza recipes. If you can't bear to leave off the cheese, gradually use smaller portions until your taste buds change and you can omit it all together. You are doing a great job!

Fantastic job! The pita was a great idea. Do a little searching and you can find a variety of healthy veggie based pizza recipes. If you can't bear to leave off the cheese, gradually use smaller portions until your taste buds change and you can omit it all together. You are doing a great job!

Thanks for the shout out!!!

My approach is to make manageable changes and then slowly go from there! Last week I was just looking at it as "this pita pizza is healthier than delivery pizza" - and then I figure I can just keep refining from there.

I also really love me some desserts, so my current strategy on that is to still allow a little bit, just on a smaller level. Like last week I bought individually packaged rice crispy treats and that was the dessert option each day. It definitely took the edge off and overall was less calories, fat, and sugar than a cupcake or something similar. I would love to get to the point where fruit is a delicious dessert option, but I haven't really gotten there yet. Goals for the future.

Monday - 7/6/2015
Work Out:
C25K Week 4 Day 1

Oh. My. Gosh. Week 4 is totally harder than the previous three weeks. I still finished the work out but it was the first time I really wanted to just skip the running and walk it. It feels good to have finished though, even if it was tough.

I think this week I also want to try and be more conscious of sugar intake. In the same vein of making smaller, manageable choices, I switched from buying vanilla flavored greek yogurt to plain, which had less sugar. It also had way less flavor and was not very delicious, but I think I just need to get used to it.

For some reason I am also SUPER craving a coke this morning. I haven't had one in three weeks and know that giving into the craving will just be a big trigger for falling off the coke wagon, but I sooooooooooooo want one.

As final thoughts, here are some motivational posters that were really speaking to me this morning:

Mile.jpg

hunger games.jpg

Cutting back on sugar and those simple carbs is so key because you don't want to continue that cycle of blood sugar spikes and crashes that can eventually lead to diabetes. Good job switching yogurts. Throw in a bit of fresh fruit and some chia or flax seeds, to add fiber and healthy omega 6 fats. Eating that low nutrition stuff will just make you hungrier, as your body can be nutrient starved and hungry even if you just ate and are overweight. Find a favorite fruit and munch on that after dinner and your tastes really will change over time. Desserts will begin to taste overly sweet and make you feel yucky. If you combine a frozen banana with whatever other frozen fruit you like and blend it up in a Nutrabullet, it tastes like soft serve ice cream. If you don't feel like blending, eat the frozen fruit whole. Go for yummy low glycemic fruits, such as cherries and peaches. Throw in blueberries, which are fantastic for your heart. Throw in a small quantity of raw walnuts, which are great for your heart. You can also google and find cookie recipes that are made of oats, banana, applesauce and raisins with no actual sugar but have that sweet taste for fewer calories. Stevia is a good sugar substitute because it is a natural plant. Watch out for the fake sugar substitutes and the "natural" sugars such as agave. They can still feed that sugar craving and are not particularly healthy for you. I used to be the biggest sugar lover and now never touch the stuff, except for rare occasions when I'll eat something that includes natural cane syrup. Think of every food as having to contain good nutrients that you need for your long term health rather than just how many calories it contains. If you go for those foods that have lots of nutrients, such as fruit and veggies, you can really fill up for much fewer calories. Don't beat yourself up over slip ups either. If you move on from them, and continue to try things will be ok in the long run. So glad you went ahead and exercised. Aren't you proud of yourself? After awhile, you will really miss the exercise if it is not part of your routine. I lost weight several years ago and have kept it off. Not so much as you, but enough to understand what a PITA weight loss and maintenance can be. It is definitely doable though. You will feel so much better and will enjoy being able to participate in activities that were hard to accomplish previously. I have found that I literally don't feel right if I don't get my daily workout and daily walk in. My calorie intake can be variable day to day, with some days especially bad and other days quite good, but overall weight stays within a range of normal because of overall good eating habits. Not trying to side track the thread, just letting you know that long term weight loss and exercise routines can be achieved. I am cheering you on! Have a great week!

Cutting back on sugar and those simple carbs is so key because you don't want to continue that cycle of blood sugar spikes and crashes that can eventually lead to diabetes. Good job switching yogurts. Throw in a bit of fresh fruit and some chia or flax seeds, to add fiber and healthy omega 6 fats. Eating that low nutrition stuff will just make you hungrier, as your body can be nutrient starved and hungry even if you just ate and are overweight. Find a favorite fruit and munch on that after dinner and your tastes really will change over time. Desserts will begin to taste overly sweet and make you feel yucky. If you combine a frozen banana with whatever other frozen fruit you like and blend it up in a Nutrabullet, it tastes like soft serve ice cream. If you don't feel like blending, eat the frozen fruit whole. Go for yummy low glycemic fruits, such as cherries and peaches. Throw in blueberries, which are fantastic for your heart. Throw in a small quantity of raw walnuts, which are great for your heart. You can also google and find cookie recipes that are made of oats, banana, applesauce and raisins with no actual sugar but have that sweet taste for fewer calories. Stevia is a good sugar substitute because it is a natural plant. Watch out for the fake sugar substitutes and the "natural" sugars such as agave. They can still feed that sugar craving and are not particularly healthy for you. I used to be the biggest sugar lover and now never touch the stuff, except for rare occasions when I'll eat something that includes natural cane syrup. Think of every food as having to contain good nutrients that you need for your long term health rather than just how many calories it contains. If you go for those foods that have lots of nutrients, such as fruit and veggies, you can really fill up for much fewer calories. Don't beat yourself up over slip ups either. If you move on from them, and continue to try things will be ok in the long run. So glad you went ahead and exercised. Aren't you proud of yourself? After awhile, you will really miss the exercise if it is not part of your routine. I lost weight several years ago and have kept it off. Not so much as you, but enough to understand what a PITA weight loss and maintenance can be. It is definitely doable though. You will feel so much better and will enjoy being able to participate in activities that were hard to accomplish previously. I have found that I literally don't feel right if I don't get my daily workout and daily walk in. My calorie intake can be variable day to day, with some days especially bad and other days quite good, but overall weight stays within a range of normal because of overall good eating habits. Not trying to side track the thread, just letting you know that long term weight loss and exercise routines can be achieved. I am cheering you on! Have a great week!

Thanks for the support and the info, that's super helpful! I definitely want to try some chia or flax seeds!

This morning I sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in the plain yogurt, and it definitely made a difference!

Tuesday - 7/07/2015
Work Out:
20 minute walk with dog

Ok, so let me just start by saying that last night (Monday) I had a session with my trainer - it was hands down the best feeling work out I've ever had. It was difficult, but I left feeling really energized and like it was really making a difference. I decided to just suck it up in terms of cost and invest in a 12 session training package. Training will be every Monday, and then I'll go through the program on my own an additional night a week. That will put my total work out each week at 3 cardio work outs and two resistance/weight work outs. Whoot!

As a side note, squats are terrible.

@grarsh I have been doing group exercise classes for about 8 months now and as much as I hate paying for it, I do think it's worth it to have someone (a professional) make the workouts for me and push me - so I hope you continue to see good results with your trainer!! :)

Squats are terrible but soooo good for you - I feel your pain there!!

Keep up the great work! :)

Very smart to have a trainer to guide you. Consider a dietitian consult also and a medical checkup. Knowing about any lurking health conditions that would affect your diet and having a professional plan can really help. You are making some fantastic changes! Just think about how good you are going to feel and how healthy you are going to be!

@grarsh I have been doing group exercise classes for about 8 months now and as much as I hate paying for it, I do think it's worth it to have someone (a professional) make the workouts for me and push me - so I hope you continue to see good results with your trainer!! :)

Squats are terrible but soooo good for you - I feel your pain there!!

Keep up the great work! :)

Thanks!!! I know, it makes such a difference to have a professional there to help! There were tons of things I wouldn't have thought of on my own, and it was really good motivation to try hard knowing that someone was watching me, lol.

And yeah, I guess I'll keep the squats, but I am soooooo feeling them today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter