"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"-A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!- NEW TR LINK 9/13!

Mollydolly334

Honorary Floridian

September, 2016. Amidst the magic and pixie dust, at the height of an amazing mother-daughter trip, Walt Disney World was a star in it's own right. A beacon for the young and young at heart. Nothing in the world could change all of that.

The time is now, on an evening at home in bed in Wisconsin. Tonight's story on the Disboards is a tale of dreams and wishes, and calls for an introduction. This, as you may realize, is a trip report, starting it's operation, waiting for you. We invite you, if you please, to step aboard....as this TR travels directly to a world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy!!

*Snaps to anyone who knows the Disney attraction that holds the original dialogue :thumbsup2*

HELLO DISFRIENDS!!!!

I’m so happy to present to you…my September 2016 Trip Report!

:jumping1:

My mom and I had the most magical time. There was laughter, there were tears, and best of all, there were memories to last a lifetime!

And yes, even the garbage cans at the Grand Floridian had flowers!

If you’d like to read about all of the planning that went into this trip, please check out my PTR: *The Laughing Place is Where I'm Bound! SEPT 2016 PTR* Final Update 9/10- New TR Link!!!!

If you don’t feel like reading all of my Disney ramblings, here is the trip lowdown ;)

How This Trip Came About

My mom and I took a vacation to Disney World in August/September 2015 that was supposed to be the “once in a lifetime” thing. My mom had taken my sister Haley on a vacation just the two of them when she was in college, so naturally, it was my turn! We had never traveled just us two together, and Disney World had just seemed right, since we are definitely the two biggest “Disney Freaks” in the house. It was an amazing trip that started a new Disney fire in us! If you’d like to read about that trip, here’s the link: Mother-Daughter Trip of a Lifetime!! WDW August 29-Sept 3 2015- NEW Link to 9/16 PTR!

Well, after that 5-night vacation, we were itching for more Disney! The bug had bit us, and it had bit us hard! In January 2016, I saw that a travel agency had released some awesome deals for the Deluxe resorts over Labor Day weekend. I brought up this point to my mom right away. At first, she was iffy, because she didn’t want my sister Haley to be jealous. But then, Haley and her boyfriend took a trip in February 2016 and urged my mom and I to spring for our own trip! I mentioned that we could go to celebrate my college graduation, and she warmed up to that idea right away! Mom loves to travel as much as I do, and agrees that Disney is a perfect way to do some mother-daughter bonding.

So, the trip is on, but where to stay? In 2015, we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It worked for our vacation structure, since we barely spent any time at the room and just did the parks all day. However, during that trip, we found ourselves missing the amenities and transportation of the Deluxes. After mulling over the resort choices, it seemed like a no-brainer: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa! Elegant, Princess-Like, and perfect for a girl’s trip!

C’mon Everybody! Here we gooooooo!
:tinker:

Introductions:

Me!

Name: Molly
Favorite Disney Park: Magic Kingdom, closely followed by Epcot
Favorite Disney Resort: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, closely followed by Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
Favorite Disney Movies: Aladdin, Inside Out, Pocahontas, Toy Story, Hercules
Favorite Disney Characters: Rex, Megara, Tink, Anna
Favorite Disney Songs: A Whole New World, Beauty and the Beast, Can You Feel the Love Tonight
Favorite Ride in Magic Kingdom: Splash Mountain
Favorite Ride in Epcot: Soarin’
Favorite Ride in Hollywood Studios: Rock n Roller Coaster
Favorite Ride in Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur
Favorite Disney Restaurant: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Favorite Disney Snacks: Frozen Coke, Nutella Fresh Fruit Waffle, Mickey Premium Ice Cream Bar, Dole Whip Soft Serve

Mommy!

Name: Lori
Favorite Disney Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Disney Resort: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
Favorite Disney Movie: Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast
Favorite Disney Characters: All of the Toys from Toy Story
Favorite Disney Song: Colors of the Wind
Favorite Ride in Magic Kingdom: Haunted Mansion
Favorite Ride in Epcot: Soarin’
Favorite Ride in Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror
Favorite Ride in Animal Kingdom: Dinosaur
Favorite Disney Restaurant: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Favorite Disney Snack: Dole Whip Soft Serve, Disney Caramel Apples

When: September 3-9, 2016

Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Outer Building, Garden View

Tickets? 6-Day Park Hoppers

Transportation? Flying through Southwest

Disney Dining Plan? Nope! We couldn’t get the dining plan with the travel agent’s deal. But, my mom and I are not big eaters; we usually share meals and do a lot of grazing throughout the day.

Memory Maker? Nope! Not this time. We may get it one day, but we enjoy taking our own photos instead!

And with that, we're off!

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun"
pooh:

Last edited:

Day 1: Part 1- "Second Star to the Right, Then Straight on Till Morning!"- "Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- Updated 9/18!

Day 1: Part 2- "Unbelievable Sights, Indescribable Feeling!"- "Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- Updated 9/18!

Day 1: Part 3- "Don't Just Fly, Soar!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-4#post-56509208"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 1: Part 4- "We've Got No Troubles, Life Is The Bubbles!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-4#post-56528485"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 1: Part 5- "Look At This Stuff, Isn't It Neat?!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-5#post-56544895"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 2: Part 1- "Welcome To Our Family Time!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-6#post-56577957"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 2: Part 2- "You're Never Too Old To Be Young!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-6#post-56606163"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 2: Part 3- "Tale As Old As Time, Song As Old As Rhyme!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-7#post-56634436"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Real Life Update!!- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-8#post-56670445"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 2: Part 4- "My Oh My, What A Wonderful Day!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-8#post-56702189"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 2: Part 5- "That Wasn't Flying, That Was Falling With Style!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-8#post-56721278"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 2: Part 6- "Sometimes Castles Fall To The Ground, But That's Where Four-Leaf Clovers Are Found!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-9#post-56739830"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 3: Part 1- "And We Are All Connected To Each Other, In a Circle, In a Hoop That Never Ends!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-9#post-56756996"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Day 3: Part 2- "There's A Big Hunk Of World Down There With No Fence Around It!"- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-9#post-56778245"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Real Life Update!!- [URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/even-the-garbage-cans-have-flowers-a-september-2016-mother-daughter-tr-rl-update-11-28.3544068/page-10#post-56800889"]"Even the Garbage Cans Have Flowers!"- A September 2016 Mother-Daughter TR!!- RL Update 11/28![/URL]

Last edited:
First up to follow you! I love mother & daughter trips and hope one day to do one more!

My DD and I were at GF from 8/22-8/29 with the same deal, we had a great mom/daughter trip so I am in. We loved GF, we stayed in Conch Key and had a view of the water and monorail! My DD is 16 and we are planning to go again late summer 2017 hoping we can get the same deal.

Following along! I'm glad your mom likes to go. I've never been with one of my parents, but my dad is scared of all rides and hates going places so I just picture taking him there and how grumpy he would be the whole time :rotfl:

My mom and I took a vacation to Disney World in August/September 2015 that was supposed to be the “once in a lifetime” thing.

Our last year vacation was also supposed to be "once in a lifetime" :rotfl2:

Following! I love your (TOT) intro btw!
GF is on my list of resorts to try, hoping to get there in the near future :)

First up to follow you! I love mother & daughter trips and hope one day to do one more!

Yay!! :welcome: my first follower! Mother-daughter trips are so awesome aren't they :goodvibes

My DD and I were at GF from 8/22-8/29 with the same deal, we had a great mom/daughter trip so I am in. We loved GF, we stayed in Conch Key and had a view of the water and monorail! My DD is 16 and we are planning to go again late summer 2017 hoping we can get the same deal.

:welcome: Ahhhh, you just missed us! We adored the GF too, and wow, you really lucked out with such a cool view :)

Following along! I'm glad your mom likes to go. I've never been with one of my parents, but my dad is scared of all rides and hates going places so I just picture taking him there and how grumpy he would be the whole time :rotfl:

Our last year vacation was also supposed to be "once in a lifetime" :rotfl2:

Hey girl! :welcome: I'm lucky to have a mom that's just as much of a Disney freak as me! My dad can be sort of the same way; he gets hot and impatient easily and would rather be golfing :rotfl:He loves Disney, but can't do marathon days like my mom and I. And haha! Funny how Disney pulls you in like that ;)

Following! I love your (TOT) intro btw!
GF is on my list of resorts to try, hoping to get there in the near future :)

Thank you and :welcome: Yay! Glad somebody else loves that ride as much as I do :teeth: The GF is stunning and should definitely be experienced at least once if you can! We felt so spoiled!!

I'm here! I followed your planning report and was waiting for the trip report to start! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

So excited to follow along!

:welcome: and thank you!! Hopping over to your TR as I speak :goodvibes

Awesome! Following along!!

:welcome: and thanks!! :cutie:

I'm here! I followed your planning report and was waiting for the trip report to start! Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

:welcome: Thanks for being so kind and following along! :flower:

Found you! :p Looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Here I am! :wave2: Haha! :welcome: and thank you!!

Following your TR! Can't wait to read about your vacation!

:welcome: and thank you so much! :teeth:

Following along! I can't wait to read more!

:welcome: and thank you!! :yay:

following along! can't wait to read more and see what your room at the grand looked like!

:welcome: and thanks!! Your wish is my command :genie:

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear all about the trip!

Loved your Tower of Terror intro!!

:welcome: and thanks girl! Tower of Terror is so scary yet so fun :tongue:

Welcome back, we left on the 9th too and are still a little jet lagged :rotfl2:

:welcome: Thank you and you as well! Oh gosh, I'm glad that I'm only an hour behind Florida :rotfl:

Thank you all so much for your kind words and for following along!! I'm finishing up another update as I type this and it should be up in an hour or two! :banana::banana:

Day 0: “In Every Job that Must be Done, There is an Element of Fun!”

I wrote a bit about this day in my PTR, but I thought I’d share more details about the day before we left! I love looking at how others choose to spend their “day before we leave” and their planning/packing techniques. So, I hope that you all enjoy seeing my organized chaos :laughing:

Oh, and by the way, be prepared for lots of Disney quotes in this TR :earboy2: I am a Disney movie connoisseur and pretty much know all of them by heart! I thought that it would be fun to make every single chapter title in my TR a different Disney quote! Let me know your favorite inspirational Disney quotes in the comments, I'd love to hear them :goodvibes

I’m not sure why, but the day before a trip is one of my favorite days ever! I’m very easily excitable and I enjoy counting down to special events and holidays. I’ve been this way ever since I was little! Before we went to Disney World back in 2005, I started counting down at 285 days ::yes::

I started the day off bright and early at 6:45 AM! My work schedule had me working two shifts today; one from 8-10:30 and one from 1-5. I work as a Behavioral Treatment Technician providing in-home therapy to children with Autism. I absolutely love my job and working with my little kiddos, so the time passes by pretty fast :)

Even though I was jumping out of my skin, I needed my morning coffee. I drink a cup of coffee every. single. morning. You guys, I literally cannot function without it. :rotfl: I usually have coffee in my thermos, but today, I decided to choose a different mug….

I was feeling bright-eyed and busy-tailed, that’s for sure! My mom was up at the same time as me, also about to go to work, so I had her snap this picture of me before she left! My mom is a Pediatric Dentist and is amazing at her job. She is so astounding with children, especially children with special needs, and is the main reason why I decided to go down that career path as well :goodvibes

When my mom left for work, she took our ceramic pot full of loose change to cash it all in! This has been a running tradition since I was a toddler; save all of your loose change in a container, then visit Coin Star before a vacation for souvenir money! She guessed that it would be $55, I guessed that it would be $68.

With my coffee in hand, I headed out to my first kiddo. Nothing could dull my Disney sparkle today!

Except… a tropical storm.

Deja Vu, anyone?

If you read my last TR, you’ll know that Tropical Storm Erika had been dooming our August/September 2015 vacation in the days prior to the trip. I probably called the Disney Hotline over 10 times to ask about their emergency protocol.

I promise I’m not crazy, you guys. :cool2:

Hey, I’m from Wisconsin! We’ve never had a hurricane even near us, let alone projected to blow right through us!

Anywho, I turned on my radio and Tropical Storm Hermine was all over the news. I had a brief moment of panic, but it sounded like Hermine was headed out of Florida. Phew, that was a close one!!

After my first shift, I had some time before my next patient, so I ran over to the mall to get my nails done! I hadn’t gotten a manicure in over a year, and my nails desperately needed some TLC.

There’s an awesome place in my local mall that does “shellac” nails, or gel nail polish with UV light to set. I love acrylic tips, but they totally wreck my nails and start to hurt after a bit! Shellac is great because it keeps my nails strong and literally DOES NOT CHIP! I’m serious! You could probably scrape your fingers against brick and it wouldn’t budge (not that I would suggest that, however) :crazy2:

I wanted “princess” nails, so I decided to go with a glittery, light pink color.

Um, or not?

I was so disappointed in these nails :sad1: The color on the swatch was so opaque, but this didn’t even look like I had polish on! I was trying really hard to get used to them, but I hated that I could see the whites of my nails. Plus, my cuticles looked sloppy and I was just overall unhappy with how the tech did.

Now, if you know me at all, you’ll know that I have an intense fear of confrontation. I am such a people-pleaser through and through and would rather just grin and bear it than speak up! I’m working on this, but today just wasn’t the day for me to overcome that fear. Hey, I’m going to Disney tomorrow! I’m zen!

So, I did what any normal human would do: buy some pink nail polish from Claire’s and paint over the manicure :rotfl2:

Ahhhh, much better.

I must say, I was pretty impressed with myself! This color stayed on the whole trip without chipping or anything. Lesson learned: always go for brighter colors rather than sheer!

After my manicure fiasco, I had to go run off to my next client. I had a 4-hour shift, then I was FREE!!!
:dance3:

I called my mom on my way home from work just to see what she was up to. Turns out, the money she cashed in at Coin Star added up to $98! :earseek: Woohoo!! More Disney money is always a good thing ::yes:: She asked if I could pick up some rain ponchos and mouthwash at Target, and I happily obliged.

I did my quick Target run, and soon enough, I was home. My dad had just ordered some pizza for dinner, so we sat out by our fire pit and talked about our days while waiting for Mom to get home. It was a beautiful night! Soon enough, my mom and the pizza got home and we were ready to eat!

Once we were done eating, it was just about 9:00 PM, and we desperately needed to start packing! Lucky for us, my mom and I had thought ahead and planned all of our outfits in advance. THIS HELPED SOOOO MUCH! We are chronic over-packers, but knowing what we were going to wear every day made things so much easier to pack. We still had plenty of room for Disney goodies on the way back!

After packing, I took a quick shower and just browsed the DIS for awhile before bed. My mom came in and said, “You should go to bed, Hun. I don’t want you being dazed and confused in the morning.” :rotfl:

She knows me so well :coffee:

But really, I felt like the kids in this commercial.

Finally, I managed to calm myself down enough to go to sleep at about 12:30 AM.

But, not for long! My alarm was set for 4:45 AM!!

Let the memories begin!
pixiedust:

Coming Soon- Day 1: Part 1- "Second Star to the Right, Then Straight on Till Morning!"

Last edited:
I love looking at how others choose to spend their “day before we leave” and their planning/packing techniques. So, I hope that you all enjoy seeing my organized chaos :laughing:

You'll get to see mine soon! It's on Thursday. I got the day off work so I'll put it in when I write my TR.

I’m very easily excitable and I enjoy counting down to special events and holidays.

Same

excitedlady.gif

The color on the swatch was so opaque, but this didn’t even look like I had polish on!

Ugh super light and clearish color polishes always come out so awful :sad2:

So, I did what any normal human would do: buy some pink nail polish from Claire’s and paint over the manicure :rotfl2:

Much better!

Lucky for us, my mom and I had thought ahead and planned all of our outfits in advance. THIS HELPED SOOOO MUCH! We are chronic over-packers, but knowing what we were going to wear every day made things so much easier to pack.

I do this too, but then I want to take everything :rotfl: But I did better this time. Also on a side note I use the same shampoo :thumbsup2 Except on the trip when I bought Garnier Frutis minis to take with us.

But, not for long! My alarm was set for 4:45 AM!!

:hyper:

Hi Molly! I enjoyed your last trip report and looking forward to this one.

I also work with special needs students. I'm an LRE teacher at a high school in Northwest Indiana, a little less than an hour outside of Chicago. I work with students with mild learning disabilities. I love my job, too.

I enjoy the anticipation on the day before a Disney trip, too!

Kind of off topic, but we had a cat named Molly for almost 14 years and she was the best cat ever. It was heartbreaking when we had to put her to sleep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!