Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

...When I check Ride Guru, I get an MCO-Swan fare of about $24 for UberX or Lyft.
...Yes, I think $20 should be reasonable
...Another option would be to use one of the grocery shopping services like WeGoShop or Garden Grocers.
Thank you for all the advice! I'm considering all the options and the grocers are a good idea, I don't think Swan will accept it themselves but I think I can schedule the drop off before we hit the parks.

Lyft does have the option to add a stop to your trip
Thanks I'll do some checking into that option too.

Lyft does have the option to add a stop to your trip, so you can put in Swan as the destination and then enter the Grocery store as a stop. You can alter the order of the stops however you want once you set each one, then request the car.
https://blog.lyft.com/posts/add-a-stop
I've never personally done it so I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it all once you place the request but I'd think, if the option to do it is there, it must be something drivers are open to accepting and doing.

Uber also has an option to add additional stops to your trip, although I have only ever used it when leaving Disneyland and stopping at my hotel to grab my bag before heading to the airport. I personally wouldn't ask a driver to wait while I grocery shopped, but I have met many Uber/Lyft drivers who would likely have no issue with it as long as you compensated them for their time.

https://www.uber.com/ride/how-uber-works/set-multiple-destinations/

Lyft does have the option to add a stop to your trip, so you can put in Swan as the destination and then enter the Grocery store as a stop. You can alter the order of the stops however you want once you set each one, then request the car.
https://blog.lyft.com/posts/add-a-stop
I've never personally done it so I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it all once you place the request but I'd think, if the option to do it is there, it must be something drivers are open to accepting and doing.
Uber has the stop option as well, but neither of those are intended to be for grocery shopping, fast food drive-throughs, etc. They are designed primarily as stops to pick up or drop off friends making the same trip. Uber asks riders to limit their stops to three minutes, and drivers are not obligated to accept the stops.

ETA: To be honest, pre-setting stops is kind of a pain. It's actually easier to just ride to the first stop, then change the destination in your app and proceed. Always TELL the driver you want to make that change, though, so they can select "No New Requests" so they don't get ride requests en route which are at or near your first stop.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the advice! I'm considering all the options and the grocers are a good idea, I don't think Swan will accept it themselves but I think I can schedule the drop off before we hit the parks.
Check with the Swan, because I believe all the Disney-owned resorts DO accept grocery deliveries. They even have refrigerated storage. The Swan/Dolphin, of course, are not Disney owned.

We used Lyft during our trip in early November. We were there during Jersey week, Veterans day and the last weekend of F&W so it was BUSY. We called a couple times because the buses were slow and we had to get to a reservation. Typically they came within 5 minutes. the first ride we called for was to go to a grocery store from OKW. The car was very nice and clean. The driver also was nice and talkative. However he got lost! Now i know every driver does not know exactly where everything is i get that but this guy was a local (or so he said). He apologized again and again and i wasn't really upset but just surprised. The next few drivers we had were nice but their cars were dirty. Seats were stained and we were really squished in smaller 4 door cars. We had 4 adults. The last ride we took was to the GF wedding pavilion. As we approached the GF I saw the entrance to the Wedding pavilion and the driver went right by. I asked him to turn around that's where we needed to go but he didn't seem to understand me. He pulled in to the GF entrance and stopped...there was a long line of cars waiting to get in. Needless to say when we got up to the guard house they told us we were in the wrong entrance and the driver just kind of stared at him. They told us just to drive through the parking lot and drop us off there and we could just walk over. That worked but i had to direct him through the parking lot he did not understand what the guards told him. We literally got there with 5 minutes to spare! All in all it wasn't a bad experience but i was just kind of grossed out by the dirty cars. I had asked one of the drivers if she was busy and she said that they were actually slow lately. Uber/Lyft is a popular job i guess!
Even a local driver can get confused about routes/destinations sometimes.

First of all, the accuracy of the destination depends on the rider's input. If the rider input is accurate, the destination should be correct. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. And secondly, sometimes the navigation itself is just plain wrong. I send corrections to Google Maps at least once a month to fix errors that cause them to send me the wrong way on a one-way street (including trying to send me the wrong way on I-95 once :scared1:}, onto a closed or non-existent road, or to a resident's-only entrance to gated communities.

A dirty car interior, however, is a total no-no -- and should result in a 4-star rating. In Florida's rainy season, you can't always keep the exterior of the car spotless, but the interior should be squeaky clean and trash-free. The conscientious driver checks the passenger compartment after almost every ride.

Uber has the stop option as well, but neither of those are intended to be for grocery shopping, fast food drive-throughs, etc. They are designed primarily as stops to pick up or drop off friends making the same trip. Uber asks riders to limit their stops to three minutes, and drivers are not obligated to accept the stops.

ETA: To be honest, pre-setting stops is kind of a pain. It's actually easier to just ride to the first stop, then change the destination in your app and proceed. Always TELL the driver you want to make that change, though, so they can select "No New Requests" so they don't get ride requests en route which are at or near your first stop.
That may be the case but that is NOT what the app or blog post says at all.
That blog post even specifically gives a stop for coffee or a bottle of wine as an example of how to use multiple stops. So either you are off on what it is designed for or they are. And Lyft wrote the blog post.
Uber does not indicate they have a way to enter multiple stops before initiating a trip. They do have a way to show to do it after you start a ride. So I wasn't attempting to discuss what Uber does at all, only Lyft.
Lyft is very clear on how theirs works and it is not as you indicate. Now, that may be a miscommunication between what they intend and how it works but that's not the user's problem quite honestly and the user/rider should not be at fault for following the instructions provided by Lyft and then the driver not being happy about it. If the driver doesn't like that, take it up with Lyft, not the customer.

Last edited:
Check with the Swan, because I believe all the Disney-owned resorts DO accept grocery deliveries. They even have refrigerated storage. The Swan/Dolphin, of course, are not Disney owned.
Disney resorts do but The Swan is not Disney owned and they don't accept groceries. Or at least, GG won't take orders for deliveries there

Uber also has an option to add additional stops to your trip, although I have only ever used it when leaving Disneyland and stopping at my hotel to grab my bag before heading to the airport. I personally wouldn't ask a driver to wait while I grocery shopped, but I have met many Uber/Lyft drivers who would likely have no issue with it as long as you compensated them for their time.

https://www.uber.com/ride/how-uber-works/set-multiple-destinations/
Ah, ok. It must not be available here, since we are so spread out, long drives between stores and such I guess. I opened my app to check and we can't add stops so I only know about Lyft's options.

That may be the case but that is NOT what the app or blog post says at all.
That blog post even specifically gives a stop for coffee or a bottle of wine as an example of how to use multiple stops. So either you are off on what it is designed for or they are. And Lyft wrote the blog post.
Uber does not indicate they have a way to enter multiple stops before initiating a trip. They do have a way to show to do it after you start a ride. So I wasn't attempting to discuss what Uber does at all, only Lyft.
Lyft is very clear on how theirs works and it is not as you indicate. Now, that may be a miscommunication between what they intend and how it works but that's not the user's problem quite honestly and the user/rider should not be at fault for following the instructions provided by Lyft and then the driver not being happy about it. If the driver doesn't like that, take it up with Lyft, not the customer.
Sorry, I was talking about Uber.

But you also have to realize that drivers for Uber and Lyft are NOT Uber/Lyft employees. We are all independent contractors and have total discretion to accept or decline any ride...or any special requests within any ride. The driver's only sensible option if a rider wants something the driver is not willing to accommodate is to cancel the ride -- and that is absolutely the driver's prerogative.

In real life, drivers should, and will, accommodate the vast majority of riders' requests -- but there is no requirement to do so. And for good reason -- we get some pretty bizarre requests!

Sorry, I was talking about Uber.

But you also have to realize that drivers for Uber and Lyft are NOT Uber/Lyft employees. We are all independent contractors and have total discretion to accept or decline any ride...or any special requests within any ride. The driver's only sensible option if a rider wants something the driver is not willing to accommodate is to cancel the ride -- and that is absolutely the driver's prerogative.

In real life, drivers should, and will, accommodate the vast majority of riders' requests -- but there is no requirement to do so. And for good reason -- we get some pretty bizarre requests!
I understand that. What I was trying to indicate is the driver should not fault or otherwise blame the rider if the rider requests something that is within the parameters of what Lyft indicates the service is set up to provide and the driver doesn't like it. I'm not talking about strange, unusual or off book requests.
But if a rider requests a stop as shown on the blog post, the driver accepts it, then doesn't like the stop and rates the rider low because he doesn't like it, that is not the rider's fault and the rider does not deserve the low rating for requesting something the driver didn't like. If you follow my point.
If the drivers are not happy with what Lyft is showing is a feature of their service they can opt NOT to drive for Lyft. But they shouldn't be out there accepting rides and then rating drivers poorly for it. Or canceling on them halfway through or something like that. They need to complain to Lyft, which I realize is pretty much complaining to the wind but if enough drivers got together and quit driving and told Lyft why maybe they'd listen? I mean, Lyft can't really make money if they don't have enough drivers, right?

But if a rider requests a stop as shown on the blog post, the driver accepts it, then doesn't like the stop and rates the rider low because he doesn't like it, that is not the rider's fault and the rider does not deserve the low rating for requesting something the driver didn't like. If you follow my point.
I agree with you about the rating question, and I'll come back to that later.

However, the driver has no idea of the destination or any stops when they accept the ride. The only info the driver gets is the rider's screen name, their rider rating, the class of service, whether or not there is any incentive, and the approximate number of minutes to pickup. The driver doesn't know whether you are going one mile with three stops, or 200 miles with no stops.

[ETA: Given that, a driver who accepts a ride and then learns it will require something they are not willing to do has no alternative but to cancel the ride. Canceled rides are not rated, so they will not affect your rating or the driver's. If the driver has already started the ride and finds out later there are problematic issues, they have no option but to end the ride and suck up the bad rating that will result.

Either of those is an inconvenience for the rider, of course, and nobody wants that. But another Uber/Lyft driver will be just around the corner so it shouldn't be a huge inconvenience.]
If the drivers are not happy with what Lyft is showing is a feature of their service they can opt NOT to drive for Lyft.
And if riders are not happy with the effectiveness of a company's communication with their drivers, they should use another company.
They (drivers)need to complain to Lyft, which I realize is pretty much complaining to the wind, but if enough drivers got together and quit driving and told Lyft why maybe they'd listen?
Not a chance. NOT A CHANCE...zero chance. Lyft listens only to their own drummer.

On ratings...Uber is in the process of rolling out an improved ratings procedure in the next few weeks and Lyft will undoubtedly copy it quickly. (Both companies copy each other shamelessly!)

In the future, if an Uber rider rates a driver anything below 5 stars, the rider will be required to state a reason. Also, ratings lower than 5 stars will carry a definition from Uber. For example, 4 stars will say, "Ride was OK, but there was an issue."

If the reason for the rating is something outside the driver's control (like fare, etc), that negative rating will not count against the driver. In addition, if a rider frequently gives sub-5 ratings, their ratings will not be counted against drivers.

Following that logic, it seems reasonable that similar protections will be built into driver ratings of riders (and I certainly think they should be). Uber already sets a default rating of 5-stars for every rider on every ride, so the driver has to take some deliberate action to rate you any lower. Lyft has not copied that...yet.

Just FYI, in a little over 1,300 rides with both companies, I have given exactly two 1-star rider ratings (both for attempted fraud) and maybe 3 4-star ratings. I've never given a 2 or 3 star rating. And we are required to rate every single rider on every single trip.

I also think my ratings philosophy is very typical; I don't know any drivers who rate riders low unless there is a pretty clear issue with the rider.

Last edited:
I've gotten used to using Uber often to get around WDW. It's really been quick, easy and convenient!

I'm wondering though, since the 4 hour pre-flight DME pick-up and so many now deciding to Uber/Lyft to MCO rather than using DME, if it will be harder to get an Uber (?).

I've gotten used to using Uber often to get around WDW. It's really been quick, easy and convenient!

I'm wondering though, since the 4 hour pre-flight DME pick-up and so many now deciding to Uber/Lyft to MCO rather than using DME, if it will be harder to get an Uber (?).

Orlando is a major city, so I'd sincerely doubt it. I also think you can't use the number of people on the board here saying they'll use Uber/Lyft instead of DME and extrapolate it to all WDW guests. Most people in the country are clueless about these services and will instead blindly do what Disney tells them they need to do.

Where is the pick up location for uber at MCO? When should we areange pick up for return to the airport? Thank you.

Where is the pick up location for uber at MCO? When should we areange pick up for return to the airport? Thank you.
On baggage claim level. When you select a pick up at MCO it will prompt you to pick a door number where you will be picked up. It is really easy when you go to start the process and will make sense

Does anyone know where the pick-up area for Uber or Lyft is at SFB (Sanford airport) ?
We have been favoring Sanford lately , but usually rent cars . Car rental prices in January are still WAY high, so we are considering using Uber or Lyft to get to Saratoga Springs (praying we do not get placed in the Carousel section , without a car !)
We are very familiar with Sanford Airport, and the car rental area, but never paid much attention to where the arriving pick-up area may be for Taxis, Uber, Lyft, private pick-ups, etc. .
Anyone know where Uber or Lyft prefers to pick-up at SFB ?
Thanks !

On baggage claim level. When you select a pick up at MCO it will prompt you to pick a door number where you will be picked up. It is really easy when you go to start the process and will make sense
Do you know if airport pick up using Lyft or Uber allows for a stop before the final drop off? We'd like to run into a Walgreens for a few groceries and spray on sunscreen.

*edit: Previously I used Lyft in Orlando and was able to add two destinations and now I'm not seeing that option in the Lyft app.

Last edited:
Do you know if airport pick up using Lyft or Uber allows for a stop before the final drop off? We'd like to run into a Walgreens for a few groceries...
It's up to the driver, and should be worked out with them. They will expect a nice tip, and the duration of the stop will be a big factor.

Here's the problem with that kind of request from an airport pickup. At airports, drivers go into an electronic queue -- first come, first served. They may wait for an hour or more for one ride request -- and if they do not accept or cancel a ride, they go back to the bottom of the list. They don't want to do that, but a lengthy grocery stop may also cost them because the payment for wait time is incredibly low -- especially in Orlando where drivers have the lowest pay rates of anywhere in the US. And, of course, they're not getting their next ride while you're shopping.

There are several other options. One is to simply be dropped off at a grocery store, have one member of the party safeguard the luggage while another shops, and then order a new Uber ride after checkout. The other option is to use one of the grocery shopping/delivery services like WeGoShop or Garden Grocer.
...and spray on sunscreen.
Ask the driver before you do that. Few drivers are going to want your sunscreen all over their seats. Sunscreen can wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!