Everything PhotoPass & Memory Maker

The last time we were there (in 2016), Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, 7DMT, Expedition Everest, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, and Tower of Terror all had screens at the exit where you could tap your Magic Band, admission ticket card, or PhotoPass card to add the photos to your account. Has this changed? It had been my understanding that the only thing that required Magic Bands was the on-ride videos (7DMT, ToT).

The Disney World website still has the following verbiage:

"Your MagicBand automatically links attraction photos and videos where available. If you don’t have a MagicBand, you can still link photos manually at photo attractions with a preview wall. Immediately after your ride, just scan your admission card, Memory Maker card or annual pass at the touch point."

Thanks for catching my error. I had fully forgotten about the photo preview walls on Splash, and EE (in my defense, I've only ridden EE once, and I try not to ride Splash any more than necessary lol) Space, RnRC, and ToT . . . nope, never ridden them. I don't recall a preview wall at 7DMT. As I remember it, it is a pretty short straight walk from the train unload right out of the cave to the outside queue. Where are the preview screens there? At any rate, without a MB you won't get the video from 7DMT. You also won't be able to claim ride photos from Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Frozen Ever After, and I think there are a couple others you won't get.

Don't purchase MM for the February trip. What should happen, is any Photopass pictures taken during that trip will have the watermark on them at that time and will not be available for download. BUT - once you activate the AP in November, all pictures taken in the previous year from that date, will magically appear again and you'll be able to download them. So those February pictures will be accessible to you in November.

Steve

I just want to confirm what Steve has said here. When you purchase and activate your AP, any PhotoPass photos that have been in your account within the last year will magically reappear, and be available for download :)

I have a question... do the photopass photographers still hand out the cards now that they have magic bands?

Yes, you can still get an old school PhotoPass card if you like.

We’re going in late March and have 7 day tickets and was thinking of buying Memory Maker now. If we decide to upgrade to a Gold AP(via DVC) when we’re there will the $169 be refunded or do we lose it since Memory Maker comes with the AP? Thanks.

I was able to find a thread on the DIS from 2016 where this exact question was asked. Several posters reported having the purchase price of the Memory Maker credited towards the cost of their AP. https://www.disboards.com/threads/ap-upgrade-already-purchased-memory-maker.3556600/

Thinking back on it, I'm probably mis-remembering about 7DMT, but I'm sure about the others. Dinosaur also has a ride photo, and I think it had a preview wall, but I can't remember for sure on that one.

In any case it was good to find out that there are now a few MB-only ride photos. glad that we decided to buy Magic bands for our upcoming trip in May (staying at the Swan, so no free MBs). We would have hated missing out on the HM photos for sure.

I wonder if the new ride photos being MB-only was because they were adding photos to existing rides and it was just not practical to add preview walls to the exits, or if they're moving toward requiring MBs for ride photos. My gut feeling is the former, but if 7DMT doesn't have one, then that might indicate the latter. I suppose we'll have a more definitive idea if Tron opens without a photo preview wall.

Thinking back on it, I'm probably mis-remembering about 7DMT, but I'm sure about the others. Dinosaur also has a ride photo, and I think it had a preview wall, but I can't remember for sure on that one.

In any case it was good to find out that there are now a few MB-only ride photos. glad that we decided to buy Magic bands for our upcoming trip in May (staying at the Swan, so no free MBs). We would have hated missing out on the HM photos for sure.

I wonder if the new ride photos being MB-only was because they were adding photos to existing rides and it was just not practical to add preview walls to the exits, or if they're moving toward requiring MBs for ride photos. My gut feeling is the former, but if 7DMT doesn't have one, then that might indicate the latter. I suppose we'll have a more definitive idea if Tron opens without a photo preview wall.

My expectation is that we won't see any new rides with the preview screens. They get a minimum of $15 or so for every MB they sell, plus it costs money to put all those screens in, and they take up space, and potentially cause a traffic bottle neck. Disney kind of wins in every way if they get rid of them.

Are PhotoPass photos that disappeared from the MDE app gone forever? I’m so sad this evening. 😓 We are here on our honeymoon and at least half of our photos are no longer showing up in the app.

How long ago were the photos taken?

Pictures remain on Disney's servers for at least a year, even if they don't show on up on the app. Pictures should be visible for at least 45 days.

I've had pictures not show up on the app, but be visible when I log on to the PhotoPass website. Those same pictures show up on the app again in a day or so.

Steve

Are PhotoPass photos that disappeared from the MDE app gone forever? I’m so sad this evening. 😓 We are here on our honeymoon and at least half of our photos are no longer showing up in the app.

Photos are available to purchase and download for 45 days from the date they were taken. If you are unable to see them, and are within 45 days of the date they were taken, try logging in through the website instead of the app.

How long ago were the photos taken?

Pictures remain on Disney's servers for at least a year, even if they don't show on up on the app. Pictures should be visible for at least 45 days.

I've had pictures not show up on the app, but be visible when I log on to the PhotoPass website. Those same pictures show up on the app again in a day or so.

Steve
Hi Steve, they were taken over the last 3 days. I’ll log in to the website tomorrow and check. Thank you for the tip!

In April, my Son and Daughter are going down to WDW with their school to march in the afternoon parade at WDW and attend a music workshop. Their tickets are all through the package the school purchased. My wife and I are going down at same time but doing our own thing until the parade itself. Our tickets are purchased through another package. Is there anyway to get one Memory Maker to cover all of us?

In April, my Son and Daughter are going down to WDW with their school to march in the afternoon parade at WDW and attend a music workshop. Their tickets are all through the package the school purchased. My wife and I are going down at same time but doing our own thing until the parade itself. Our tickets are purchased through another package. Is there anyway to get one Memory Maker to cover all of us?
As long as everyone is linked together in your Family & Friends list in MDE, you will be able to view/download their pictures. How tickets are purchased doesn't have any effect on Memory Maker.

Ok so help me see if I have any options for the end of March. Usually we go for a week and stay on property and go to all the parks so we just do advance purchase memory maker. This year my daughter qualified for a national swim meet in Orlando not far from WDW property. I surprised her by booking 2 day tickets and one night at POFQ for after the meet Saturday into Sunday before our night flight home. We plan to check in and hit HS in the afternoon after her last morning session and rope drop Sunday at the MK before heading to the airport for our night flight. So basically 2 park days. I assume I can’t purchase 2 - 1 day memory makers right? Since there are ride photos at both parks etc how does that work if I only get a one day pass. Does it mean I can only download one of the two days seeing as I can’t avoid pictures since they are taken on many of the rides we have FPs for or plan to ride? That might be ok if I like MK photos better than HS or vice versa once we see them. I could then purchase 1 or 2 from the other day.
Now, how does it work if you want the regular advanced purchase memory maker? We will be coming down the weekend before we check in to POFQ. We are staying required to stay with the team those days at a hotel near WDW property. We do not want to hit the parks until after the meet. But we are close enough we thought we might like to go to Disney Springs for some meals, walk around, maybe check out some of the hotels, ride the monorail. Could I get the advanced purchase memory maker (say a week before we fly down ...So more than 3 days) then take photos the weekend before we check in at Disney springs or the hotels if we see a photo pass photographer? Or will it not count until we actually check in? Seems silly to get the advanced full pass for 2 half days, but if we might take pictures the weekend before, or during the week at Disney springs it might be worth it. I just want to make sure it will include photos before our check in date. Any suggestions?

Ok so help me see if I have any options for the end of March. Usually we go for a week and stay on property and go to all the parks so we just do advance purchase memory maker. This year my daughter qualified for a national swim meet in Orlando not far from WDW property. I surprised her by booking 2 day tickets and one night at POFQ for after the meet Saturday into Sunday before our night flight home. We plan to check in and hit HS in the afternoon after her last morning session and rope drop Sunday at the MK before heading to the airport for our night flight. So basically 2 park days. I assume I can’t purchase 2 - 1 day memory makers right? Since there are ride photos at both parks etc how does that work if I only get a one day pass. Does it mean I can only download one of the two days seeing as I can’t avoid pictures since they are taken on many of the rides we have FPs for or plan to ride? That might be ok if I like MK photos better than HS or vice versa once we see them. I could then purchase 1 or 2 from the other day.
Now, how does it work if you want the regular advanced purchase memory maker? We will be coming down the weekend before we check in to POFQ. We are staying required to stay with the team those days at a hotel near WDW property. We do not want to hit the parks until after the meet. But we are close enough we thought we might like to go to Disney Springs for some meals, walk around, maybe check out some of the hotels, ride the monorail. Could I get the advanced purchase memory maker (say a week before we fly down ...So more than 3 days) then take photos the weekend before we check in at Disney springs or the hotels if we see a photo pass photographer? Or will it not count until we actually check in? Seems silly to get the advanced full pass for 2 half days, but if we might take pictures the weekend before, or during the week at Disney springs it might be worth it. I just want to make sure it will include photos before our check in date. Any suggestions?
We’ve used memory maker prior to our official stay before. I don’t think you need to be staying at a wdw hotel to buy it. There are great opportunities to use mm at Disney springs or at the boardwalk. I would buy the advanced one and use it as much as you can!

How late are the photographers out in the park? Like if the park closes at 8, fireworks at 8, will they still be around after fireworks, or do they stop at park close even there’s still a ton of people there?

How late are the photographers out in the park? Like if the park closes at 8, fireworks at 8, will they still be around after fireworks, or do they stop at park close even there’s still a ton of people there?
We closed down MK on Saturday of MLK weekend, the park closed at 11. We were on a ride at 11. When we walked out of the park, there were still photographers out on Main Street. We got some cut pictures, without a huge crowd behind us!

Can anyone tell me where exactly there are photo pass photographers at Galaxy's Edge? From pictures online from Disney's promotional ads for photo pass/magic shots it would appear that they are in a number of places (based on backgrounds). However, on the HS park map there is only one photo pass icon in GE (near the MF), and on the MDE app itself it shows no photo pass photographer locations in GE at all.
We are buying memory maker and I want at least one good group photo in GE. Please help!

Last edited:
We had pictures taken on the "patio" outside of Docking Bay 7, it is where the Millennium Falcon is in the background. They also had a magic shot with a Porg. The photographer had an umbrella set-up and there was a short line. We also did the GE 360 degree photo. It was down by the Milk Stand / First Order Cargo. Most people didn't realize what it was, so the line was short.
360.jpg Porg.JPG

We had pictures taken on the "patio" outside of Docking Bay 7, it is where the Millennium Falcon is in the background. They also had a magic shot with a Porg. The photographer had an umbrella set-up and there was a short line. We also did the GE 360 degree photo. It was down by the Milk Stand / First Order Cargo. Most people didn't realize what it was, so the line was short.
View attachment 471287 View attachment 471286

Thank you so much! The picture from the patio outside of Docking Bay 7 is the one I really want. Do you know whether the 360 photo photographer also able/willing to take "regular" pictures (for example one with the TIE fighter in the background)?

Yes. Make sure your son, daughter and wife are each connected to you through My Disney Experience Friends and Family. Buy one Memory Maker. All of their photos will appear in your My Disney Experience account, and be available for you to download along with yours, and your wife's.

Actually, you certainly CAN purchase two separate one day Memory Maker packages. Have the photos taken first, then purchase the one day Memory Maker for that day in the MDE app. Easy Peasy.

If, however, you decide to go with the regular advance purchase Memory Maker package, you can indeed have photos taken the week before you check in to your Disney Springs hotel, and those photos will be included in your Memory Maker.

Thank you so much! The picture from the patio outside of Docking Bay 7 is the one I really want. Do you know whether the 360 photo photographer also able/willing to take "regular" pictures (for example one with the TIE fighter in the background)?

They only had the 360 camera. But I also didn't ask.

I think it depends. I went to MK two days in a row and one time they were out late and the next night I couldn't find any. Sometimes I couldn't find any during the day time hours even in spots where I knew they were supposed to be. I assumed they were on break or something but it was a bummer when it happened because if we didn't find them the first time we normally didn't go back looking unless we walked by that spot again.

I recommend doing after hours if you can, though! I found most of them during after hours and got some great shots with no crowds :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!