experience w adenoidectomy post op?

funnygarcia

Hyena, Dis Diva, vegan-in-training
We will be going to Disneyland for 7 days starting on May 28.. the worrisome news is that my son's ear problems have worsened to the point he will have repeat tubes plus adenoids out on May 6... Anyone have experience w adenoidectomy? We hope he will be all recovered in time for our trip-- otherwise will put off surgery and keep up w the antibiotics until we return home..I know its not as bad as getting tonsils out... hopefully he will fine................?????

My DS had his adnoids & tonsils both out in kindergarten. With in a week he was back to normal! The ear tubes are no big deal at all. I have had students get them one day and be back to school the next day! I would get it behind me and have a healthy, happy trip. BTW, if you are flying, your DS will feel much better on a plane if he get the fluid off his ear drums as the tubes should do. Have a great trip!!!

Jordan's mom

Back in 1964 I had a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy when I was 3. I remember my throat hurting for a few days afterwards, but that was about it. You should be fine.

Ds was 5 when he had his surgery. By the 3rd day he was almost back o normal. He recovered fully in about a week.

My son had the same surgery. He had his adnoids out and ear tubes put in. The adnoids are not nearly as bad as having the tonsils(the same day my younger son had his adnoids/tubes my older son had his tonsils out). My younger son was back to normal within a few days. You should be fine and I am sure he will be feeling great with those tubes in!

Thank you all so much! It is so much better to hear from other moms, who have had the experience, then to read doctor info on internet/pamphlets. I will be glad to have this ear business over with - he hates medicine and this time his ear was draining down his neck-- ewwwwwwwwwwwww ... But he is on the mend so will be able to fix it all up in May. Thanks everyone!!

He should be fully recovered in about 3 days. The only problem will be that he won't be able to go swimming because he can't get water in his ears. My son was concerned about getting water in his ears on Splash Mountain so we brought along the cotton balls and vaseline he used for showers.

Good point lorik-I forgot about that. When my son had tubes we bought him an ear cover from the Right Start Catalog. It kept the water out of his ears and went around his head like a head band. There are also brands your doctor can recommend.

you can also get custom made ear plugs. Some ENT's make the impressions. Others send their patients to someone on the outside. If interested just ask his surgeon about them.

working with lots of kis with tubes and T&A ,i can tell you most complications happen about 7 to 14 days post op. most common complication at that point is bleeding. with more than 2 weeks in between you should be fine.

Regarding the surgery....as another poster mentioned, getting tonsils out is much more painful than adenoids. I've been checking into this because my ds also is probably going to need his adnoids out, and my Aunt who is a nurse at a local Children's Hospital said kids recover really fast.....same day?.....from adenoid surgery as they do from ear tubes. Tonsils take longer.

Regarding water in ears.....definitely check with the ENT on that as opinions seem to change over time. When my oldest (now 8) had tubes when he was 1, we had to keep water out of his ears by using plugs. Four years later my second (now 4) got tubes, and by then they decided that we had to keep bath water out of her ears but that swimming pool water was o.k. because of all of the chlorine.....the new news then was that she had to use plugs when playing around sand because they learned that caused major infections if that got into ears with plugs. Net, I image these opinions vary over time as new research is done, so check with your doctor.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter